PDA

View Full Version : Former NY Mets Catcher Gary Carter Diagnosed with Four Brain Tumors

SMR
05-21-2011, 03:04 PM
Gary Carter has multiple brain tumors

ESPNNewYork.com

Former New York Mets catcher Gary Carter has been diagnosed Saturday with four small brain tumors.

"Earlier today, I learned that four very small tumors have been found on my brain, following an MRI on Friday at a West Palm Beach facility," Carter said in a statement. "I am scheduled to be examined further Thursday at Duke Medical Center, and we will learn more at that time about my diagnosis.

"My wife, Sandy, and our children and family thank you for your thoughts and prayers. We ask that you please respect our privacy as we learn more about my medical condition."

The New York Daily News first reported the diagnosis.

According to the Daily News, a source close to Carter, 57, said the former catcher had been complaining of headaches and forgetfulness recently.

It won't be known until the surgery whether the tumors are malignant, according to the paper.

"On behalf of the Mets organization, our thoughts and prayers are with Gary, Sandy and the entire Carter family," said Mets chief operating officer Jeff Wilpon.

Carter spent 19 years with the Mets, Expos, Giants and Dodgers. He hit .262 with 324 career home runs and 1,225 RBIs.

He has been managing at Palm Beach Atlantic College this past year, near his home in Palm Beach, Fla.

My heart breaks over this. Carter was a TRUE class act and all-around nice guy.
God, please watch over him!

HometownGal
05-21-2011, 04:00 PM
SMR - can you please provide a link to this story? Thanks! :drink:

My thoughts and prayers are with Gary Carter for a full recovery. :pray:

SMR
05-21-2011, 04:07 PM
SMR - can you please provide a link to this story? Thanks! :drink:

My thoughts and prayers are with Gary Carter for a full recovery. :pray:

Sure here it is:

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=6573413

Hope that helps. Sorry I didn't do that before. My bad.