PDA

View Full Version : Ben as a sympathetic figure

siss
06-17-2010, 09:59 PM
Is it just me or does it seem like Ben is becoming a sympathetic figure because he has been beat up by the media so much.
He obviously needs help (we don't know what) and is getting it. I am hearing from some that just a few months ago wanted his head on a platter are starting to calm down a little bit because of the media beating he has taken. People have seen that he hasn't gotten off scott free, and some who thought he had committed a crime, don't seem to think so anymore. I live in California, but that seems to be the sense Im getting in the last few weeks. Is that a fair assessment?

Devilsdancefloor
06-17-2010, 10:24 PM
i think people have gotten sick of hearing all the crap being flung at him. Some might even sit back and have a shazam moment and realize maybe he was at the wrong place wrong time

solardave
06-18-2010, 05:34 AM
I have come to the conclusion that the "media" outside of Pittsburgh doesn't like the Steelers. I watch NFL network and I 'll use them as an example. Some of you might have seen the piece on Chad Johnson ( even the little boy in it called him by his real name).

You hear about every player in the league that does something good except no mention of Hines and the boys bringing in the coal miner families. (If they covered it I missed it.) My point is the only time we get press is when we are on a 4 game loosing streak or Ben got laid (we'll call it that) or anything negative they can say about us.

It really is a shame the Cowboys could be on a 5 game loosing streak and they'd be talking about who they will play in the playoffs.(knowing they will lose if they get there). I guess I'm glad we are under the radar this year,but I get real tired of hearing about Romo,Brady,Manning and the old man and whether he will play this season. I've always admired Favre for his toughness but I'm ready for him to fall flat on his ass. It's time to hang em up Brett.

Don't get me started!!!!

atlsteelers
06-18-2010, 08:57 AM
i do not see it. he deserves all of it except for the lenght of his suspension.. it should have been 2 games at most.

vasteeler
06-18-2010, 11:59 AM
i do not see it. he deserves all of it except for the lenght of his suspension.. it should have been 2 games at most.

for getting a blow job?:rolleyes2:

Chidi29
06-18-2010, 03:31 PM
I have come to the conclusion that the "media" outside of Pittsburgh doesn't like the Steelers. I watch NFL network and I 'll use them as an example. Some of you might have seen the piece on Chad Johnson ( even the little boy in it called him by his real name).

Don't get me started!!!!

I don't think it's an issue of the media hating Pittsburgh. The media saw the chance to absolutely tear into a star, face-of-the-franchise player in order to get ratings and/or viewership. And with the ability to pick and choose the parts of the DA report to make Ben look really bad, it's not all that surprising that he was attacked the way he was.

It was Christmas time for the media and they just got a PS3.

ALLD
06-18-2010, 03:51 PM

That is not a crime. It isn't even sex according to the President.

Shea
06-18-2010, 10:21 PM
I don't think Ben has become a sympathetic figure at all.

I think people are just tired about reading and seeing his story and are awaiting the future to see what he makes of himself from this summer forward.

Shea
06-18-2010, 10:24 PM

Exactly - :rolleyes2:

Is that what is was all about??

TatarMongol
06-18-2010, 11:05 PM
That is not a crime. It isn't even sex according to the President.

is there anything on Bible or Koran about this? lol

steelerdude15
06-19-2010, 03:04 AM

You hear about every player in the league that does something good except no mention of Hines and the boys bringing in the coal miner families. (If they covered it I missed it.) My point is the only time we get press is when we are on a 4 game loosing streak or Ben got laid (we'll call it that) or anything negative they can say about us.
:amen:

HughC
06-20-2010, 02:20 PM
I don't think it's an issue of the media hating Pittsburgh. The media saw the chance to absolutely tear into a star, face-of-the-franchise player in order to get ratings and/or viewership. And with the ability to pick and choose the parts of the DA report to make Ben look really bad, it's not all that surprising that he was attacked the way he was.

It was Christmas time for the media and they just got a PS3.
Agreed. Fans of all 32 teams are convinced the media, refs, and league all hate their team. It was a huge story because Ben was one of the most well known players in the NFL. People who are not even football fans, who only watch football when the Super Bowl is on, even they know who Ben is. That made it newsworthy, and that's why the story got so much attention. That's why Ben's story got so much coverage, but the story about the Colts player and Packers player did not. If it happened to Peyton Manning then it would have received just as much if not more coverage. The amount of coverage and the opinions in the stories have nothing to do with the media liking or hating the Steelers.

Crow-Magnon
06-21-2010, 06:14 AM

It really is a shame the Cowboys could be on a 5 game loosing streak and they'd be talking about who they will play in the playoffs.(knowing they will lose if they get there). I guess I'm glad we are under the radar this year,but I get real tired of hearing about Romo,Brady,Manning and the old man and whether he will play this season. I've always admired Favre for his toughness but I'm ready for him to fall flat on his ass. It's time to hang em up Brett.

Don't get me started!!!!

Honestly....are you on drugs? :der:

The Steelers are media darlings and they have been for a long, long time. Why? Because they are consistent winners, that's why. Seriously, one of the biggest complaints I hear in Ravens Country is that it's always "Steelers this and Steelers that" once NFL season starts.

They are on Ben because Ben is a big-time NFL franchise QB with two SB rings, and a history of doing some bone-headed things. That is all.

HometownGal
06-21-2010, 06:26 AM
The Steelers are media darlings and they have been for a long, long time. Why? Because they are consistent winners, that's why.

They are on Ben because Ben is a big-time NFL franchise QB with two SB rings, and a history of doing some bone-headed things. That is all.

That's about it in a nutshell.

solardave
06-22-2010, 01:02 PM
Honestly....are you on drugs? :der:

The Steelers are media darlings and they have been for a long, long time. Why? Because they are consistent winners, that's why. Seriously, one of the biggest complaints I hear in Ravens Country is that it's always "Steelers this and Steelers that" once NFL season starts.

Been sober 32 years. Thanks for your concern! I'm not talking about the AFC NORTH. To you it might seem like the Steelers are media darlings because we are in the same division.. I'm talking about THE LEAGUE. Just watch the NFL network. You don't see any good things about us. You hear about the Ravens (positive stuff) with us if they don't have anything bad to say they keep their mouth shut.As far as in the division we might be "media darlings" but as you said we're winners. WE EARNED IT! You want to know why we get coverage in Baltimore. Go to a Ravens home game next time you play us and look around. Then come to Pittsburgh, put up one hand and count the Ravens fans.There was less coverage about RAY LEWIS BEING arrested for murder!!!Oh yeah, he didn't do it either! So don't hand me that media darlings bullshit it won't fly here.

Crow-Magnon
06-22-2010, 06:39 PM
I don't want to argue with you, but you're living in a dream world. The only thing you see more of on any network during football season than the Steelers is Peyton Manning.

solardave
06-23-2010, 07:14 AM
I don't want to argue with you, but you're living in a dream world. The only thing you see more of on any network during football season than the Steelers is Peyton Manning.

Not where I live. In kentucky we see the Bengals or the Cowboy's (on fox if they are playing) Where do you live- Everywhere? Do you travel all over the US watching football so you can make this statement? Yeah, I live in a dream world. Maybe I do but I restrict it to this site. I don't feel the need to go to Bengal's,Raven's , Brown's or any other team's forum to insult people. you know why. Because I don't care about those teams unless we are playing them and I hope the game is on here (where I live) when we play you. I'm A STEEELER'S FAN! If that's a dream world than I'm gonna dream on brother! I don't wear rose colored glasses. I posted on here that Ben screwed up. I didn't defend what he did. It did a lot of damage to the team,us fans,his family and THE LEAGUE. What I'm saying is we don't hear about Hines Ward outside of Pittsburgh. I read local sports here and Never, Never read a positive thing about the Steelers and this is AFC north territory. I can't speak for Baltimore because I don't live there. Let me end this post by saying if it weren't for Ray Lewis I could possibly root for the Ravens if we didn't make the playoffs and you guys did. But here's the thing, I don't have to go to your forum to tell you that.Do I?

Crow-Magnon
06-23-2010, 03:30 PM
Not where I live. In kentucky we see the Bengals or the Cowboy's (on fox if they are playing) Where do you live- Everywhere? Do you travel all over the US watching football so you can make this statement? Yeah, I live in a dream world. Maybe I do but I restrict it to this site. I don't feel the need to go to Bengal's,Raven's , Brown's or any other team's forum to insult people. you know why. Because I don't care about those teams unless we are playing them and I hope the game is on here (where I live) when we play you. I'm A STEEELER'S FAN! If that's a dream world than I'm gonna dream on brother! I don't wear rose colored glasses. I posted on here that Ben screwed up. I didn't defend what he did. It did a lot of damage to the team,us fans,his family and THE LEAGUE. What I'm saying is we don't hear about Hines Ward outside of Pittsburgh. I read local sports here and Never, Never read a positive thing about the Steelers and this is AFC north territory. I can't speak for Baltimore because I don't live there. Let me end this post by saying if it weren't for Ray Lewis I could possibly root for the Ravens if we didn't make the playoffs and you guys did. But here's the thing, I don't have to go to your forum to tell you that.Do I?

I'm not talking about intense, in-depth coverage of the Steelers in the local media like you'd expect to get in western PA. And to be frank, I didn't think that's what you were talking about. You mentioned the NFL Network in particular, and said the Steelers get no press at all except for four-game losing streaks or Ben's peccadillos. And I say that's false as concerns nationwide media like ESPN, the NFL Network, etc. Yeah, maybe Hines doesn't get all the airtime that Ochostinko or Romo gets, but overall as a team the Steelers always get face time.

But evidently just not as much as you would like. :bounce:

stillers4me
06-23-2010, 03:35 PM
I listen to Serius NFL radio in the car all the time and they get annoyed nearly every time a Steeler fan calls in and brushes them off as homers. Even the week after we won the Superbowl, when I wanted to hear all about the Steelers and the game, they were like "ok...that's over. Who wants to talk about Tampa Bay football?? How about them Bronco's anyone? Anything but the Pittsburgh Steelers". Gil Brandt can't even say "Polamalu" right. "Pooloomooloo" and "SanAntonio Holmes."

solardave
06-24-2010, 04:54 AM
I listen to Serius NFL radio in the car all the time and they get annoyed nearly every time a Steeler fan calls in and brushes them off as homers. Even the week after we won the Superbowl, when I wanted to hear all about the Steelers and the game, they were like "ok...that's over. Who wants to talk about Tampa Bay football?? How about them Bronco's anyone? Anything but the Pittsburgh Steelers". Gil Brandt can't even say "Polamalu" right. "Pooloomooloo" and "SanAntonio Holmes."

Thank you. That's the point I'm trying to make.