PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Mt. Rushmore

zulater
05-13-2011, 05:51 AM
You've been put in charge of an important new project, it's your job to determine the four Steelers that would best represent the team through the ages with a fitting monument. Who are your Steelers, and what is your theme?

Pristas
05-13-2011, 06:27 AM
Art Rooney Sr., Dan Rooney, Joe Greene, Chuck Noll.

It all started with this group. They are your founding fathers.

By the way, cool thread idea.

Texasteel
05-13-2011, 06:38 AM
Art Rooney
I don't think this one needs an explanation

Chuck Noll
The first, and to many the best of the championship coaches.

Myron Cope
Epitomizes the hard core loyal, and sometimes rabid Steeler Fans.

Rocky Blier
I don't think you can pick out one of the great players, so I went with the one that showed the most important trait of all Steeler players. Hard working, and gutsy, that never give up, ever if there seems to be no chance at all.

SteelerSal
05-13-2011, 06:42 AM
Mt RUSHmore???...oh, easy,

Bettis
Harris
Bleier
Hoak

:)

Pristas
05-13-2011, 07:31 AM
Mt RUSHmore???...oh, easy,

Bettis
Harris
Bleier
Hoak

:)

Unless we call it Mt. Rushless, in which case we would need:

Joe Greene, Jack Lambert, James Harrison, and Troy. I picked these guys because they just stand out to me as the most memorable. James may not have been the best LB, but there is no LB I fear more. (and I just want to see them carve Troy's hair in a mountain. LOL!)

tube517
05-13-2011, 08:46 AM
Weegie Thompson
Kent Graham
Alonzo Jackson
Jamain Stephens

NJarhead
05-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Art Rooney
I don't think this one needs an explanation

Chuck Noll
The first, and to many the best of the championship coaches.

Myron Cope
Epitomizes the hard core loyal, and sometimes rabid Steeler Fans.

Mean Joe Greene

Just one change for me.

NJarhead
05-13-2011, 12:55 PM
Weegie Thompson
Kent Graham
Alonzo Jackson
Jamain Stephens

No Troy Edwards?

NJarhead
05-13-2011, 12:56 PM
Unless we call it Mt. Rushless, in which case we would need:

Joe Greene, Jack Lambert, James Harrison, and Troy. I picked these guys because they just stand out to me as the most memorable. James may not have been the best LB, but there is no LB I fear more. (and I just want to see them carve Troy's hair in a mountain. LOL!)

If we're going with Rushless you MUST have Levon Kirkland in there.

Vis
05-13-2011, 01:18 PM
If you want to represent the eras: The Chief, Stautner, Noll, TBA

Vis
05-13-2011, 01:37 PM
For all those who think the Steelers were a 1970 expansion team:

http://www.cmgww.com/football/stautner/images/image1.jpg

Ernie Stautner

A native of Bavaria, Stautner emigrated to Albany, N.Y. at the age of three. He later served in the Marines before embarking on a career as a professional football player.

Throughout his playing career, which spanned 14 years, Stautner played in nine Pro Bowls and missed just six games. He remains the only player in Steelers franchise history to have his jersey number retired and he was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame on the first ballot in 1969.

Drafted out of Boston College in the third-round in 1950, Stautner was a member of the Steelers long before their dominance in the 1970s. Though he played at just 6 feet 1 inch, 230 pounds, Stautner retired as the NFL leader in safeties and ranked third in fumble recoveries.

While undersized for his position, Stautner was known around the league for his blue collar work ethic and non-stop energy.

“Ernie's physical and relentless style of play helped the Steelers earn a reputation for being one of the NFL's toughest teams in the 1950s,” Rooney said. “He was undersized for his position, but his strength and power were among his greatest assets.”

"That man ain't human. He's too strong to be human...... He's the toughest guy in the league to play against because he keeps coming head first. Swinging those forearms wears you down. That animal used to stick his head in my belly and drive me into the backfield so hard that, when I picked myself up and looked around, there was a path chopped through the field like a farmer had run a plow over it."
-- Jim Parker

"The Horse' was unbelievable. If you had four of him, you'd have a championship team - he could make that much of a difference."
-- Dick Modzelewski

Chidi29
05-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Great call on Stautner Vis. There are some Steelers fan, referring to ones outside of this site, who think the franchise began in 1972, not 1933.

Trying to narrow down our history into four key people is really an almost impossible task. There are so many that deserve a mention.

Art Sr. is a no brainer. A person every player and coach, Steeler or not, adored. The obvious founder of the team and the one wh stuck with it through those first 40 difficult years. My words don't do him enough justice as to the impact he's had on the team and the league.

Chuck Noll is another slam dunk. The man who changed the culture of football in Pittsburgh. How many have done that in sports history?

I'm more inclined to pick coaches than players but you have to pick Joe Greene. The first player who turned the ship around and the guy who made it his goal, and by osmosis the rest of the team, to win and never accept losing. His performance against the Oilers in our 9-0 win, don't remember the year, is one of the best in history.

I'm going to go a little out of the box on this last one. Bill Nunn. Drafting is the reason why we were so successful. Noll helped bring that on. But Nunn was another huge part in that. He scouted smaller black colleges that other teams didn't pay attention to. Stallworth from Alabama A&M, Donnie Shell from Morgan St, Joe Greene from North Texas. Without him, we may not have gotten some of the players we did in our dynasty run.

Mamaduck43
05-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Super question.... But I am pressed with limiting it to only 4...... And the first thing that jumped into my head was, "How can we make this happen on Mt. Washington???" Can't you picture it? At The Point - - overlooking the rivers and Heinz Field.... What an addition to 'Light up Night" in The 'Burgh......

Perhaps some of the Photoshop experts can have some fun with this....

NJarhead
05-13-2011, 04:07 PM
For all those who think the Steelers were a 1970 expansion team:

http://www.cmgww.com/football/stautner/images/image1.jpg

Ernie Stautner

A native of Bavaria, Stautner emigrated to Albany, N.Y. at the age of three. He later served in the Marines before embarking on a career as a professional football player.

Throughout his playing career, which spanned 14 years, Stautner played in nine Pro Bowls and missed just six games. He remains the only player in Steelers franchise history to have his jersey number retired and he was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame on the first ballot in 1969.

Drafted out of Boston College in the third-round in 1950, Stautner was a member of the Steelers long before their dominance in the 1970s. Though he played at just 6 feet 1 inch, 230 pounds, Stautner retired as the NFL leader in safeties and ranked third in fumble recoveries.

While undersized for his position, Stautner was known around the league for his blue collar work ethic and non-stop energy.

“Ernie's physical and relentless style of play helped the Steelers earn a reputation for being one of the NFL's toughest teams in the 1950s,” Rooney said. “He was undersized for his position, but his strength and power were among his greatest assets.”

"That man ain't human. He's too strong to be human...... He's the toughest guy in the league to play against because he keeps coming head first. Swinging those forearms wears you down. That animal used to stick his head in my belly and drive me into the backfield so hard that, when I picked myself up and looked around, there was a path chopped through the field like a farmer had run a plow over it."
-- Jim Parker

"The Horse' was unbelievable. If you had four of him, you'd have a championship team - he could make that much of a difference."
-- Dick Modzelewski

I would be shocked if anyone here thought they were a 1970's expansion team, but we had few stand outs prior to that era; especially in comparison to it. Stop acting like you grew up watching Ernie Stautner

Butch
05-13-2011, 05:03 PM
#1 has to be "The Chief" Absolutely Positively!!!
#2 Like Tex gotta go with "The Emperior Chaz"!!!
#3 Again Like Tex the inventor of our flag "Pappa Cope"!!!

These 3 are no brainers to me

Now the final pick

The Steelers old logo of a guy hangin' on to a Steel Bean and the title of "Pittsburgh Steelers" that includes all the players and the nation as well. Only way I can see putting it all together!!!

Go Steelers!!!

Godfather
05-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Art Rooney is the obvious one.

Mel Blount because they changed the rules to contain him. There aren't a lot of ways to separate football players at different positions but that's one.

Rocky Bleier for his service to our country and overcoming his war wounds to make it back on the field.

Troy Polamalu for his humility and spirituality.

steeldevil
05-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Art Rooney, Dan Rooney, Chuck Noll, Myron Cope.

I think it is only fair to the players if you don't put any players on it.... Because even if you put 4 players on it, some of the best NFL players ever would still be left off.

But if you wanted to put a player on I think it would have to be Joe Greene. And he would take Cope's place.

Count Steeler
05-13-2011, 08:44 PM
I would limit mine to only 2 faces so far, Papa Rooney and Chuck Noll. Too many great players to single out just 1 or 2.

zulater
05-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Just one change for me.

That was what I had in mind when I started this thread, The Chief, The Emperor Chas, Myron, and Mean Joe.

SMR
05-14-2011, 08:21 AM
My four:

1) The Chief - a no brainer.

2) Chuck Knoll - one of the best NFL coaches in history.

3) Rocky Blier - one tough, gritty player with a heart to match.

4) Jerome Bettis - NFL's 5th highest rushing yard gainer for career. Definite Hall of Famer. Took pay cut two or three times to remain on the Steelers. Loyal and endearing.

By the way, FANTASTIC thread Zulater! One of the better ideas around! Major kudos!!

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

tube517
05-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Who?

My four:

1) The Chief - a no brainer.

2) Chuck Knoll - one of the best NFL coaches in history.

3) Rocky Blier - one tough, gritty player with a heart to match.

4) Jerome Bettis - NFL's 4th highest rushing yard gainer for career. Definite Hall of Famer. Took pay cut two or three times to remain on the Steelers. Loyal and endearing.

By the way, FANTASTIC thread Zulater! One of the better ideas around! Major kudos!!

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

SMR
05-14-2011, 01:40 PM
Who?

Oh man! Can't believe I misspelled Chucky's last name! :frusty:

Of course, NOLL!!

:frusty:

Texasteel
05-14-2011, 07:23 PM

Of course, NOLL!!

Well,,,, don't knick your self to hard. We've all made this knind of mistake.

memphissteelergirl
05-14-2011, 07:49 PM
1. Chief
2. Noll
3. Lambert
4. Bettis

BigNastyDefense
05-14-2011, 08:13 PM
"The Chief" Art Rooney: Without him, we wouldn't have the Pittsburgh Steelers

Ernie Stautner: The only player to ever have his number (#70) officially retired by the Steelers.

Chuck Noll: The man who started to turn the Steelers from a team that was tough but a losing one into the Team of the 1970's winning four Super Bowls in that decade.

Hines Ward: The Steelers' all-time leader in receiving yards, touchdowns, and catches. The toughest WR in the NFL, if not the toughest player. He epitomizes what it means to be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

I didn't realize that earlier I had five people when I needed four. It was a tough decision, but I chose to remove "Mean" Joe Greene. Chuck Noll is representing the 1970's so I had to keep Hines to represent the late 1990's and 2000's Steelers.

Steeldude
05-14-2011, 09:14 PM
greg carr
greg hawthorne
calvin sweeney
scott campbell

steelerdude15
05-15-2011, 12:34 AM
1. The Chief 2. Dan. 3. Chuck 4. Mean Joe.

solardave
05-15-2011, 07:01 AM
Weegie Thompson
Kent Graham
Alonzo Jackson
Jamain Stephens

Now that's funny!

SMR
05-15-2011, 07:58 AM
Well,,,, don't knick your self to hard. We've all made this knind of mistake.

:lol::thumbsup:

zulater
05-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Since the original topic seems to be running out of steam let's go with a slight derivation. Position by position let's do a Steelers Mount Rushmore, but with the stipulation that the maximum number of players per position is four, but if there's not enough worthy candidates we can limit the number to as low as 2. In other words let's just say we aint putting Neil O'Donnell or Kordell on our sacred mount when it comes to the qb's. :chuckle:

I'm going to start with my safeties, feel free to jump in with any position you wish or to make comment on mine or to add your own.

Steeler safeties.

Troy Polamalu

Donnie Shell

Carnell Lake

Mike Wagner

tube517
05-15-2011, 12:37 PM
:chuckle: Just teasing you.

Of course, NOLL!!

SMR
05-15-2011, 01:40 PM
:chuckle: Just teasing you.

Dang. I'll never hear the end of it.

lol

zulater
05-15-2011, 06:59 PM
Since the original topic seems to be running out of steam let's go with a slight derivation. Position by position let's do a Steelers Mount Rushmore, but with the stipulation that the maximum number of players per position is four, but if there's not enough worthy candidates we can limit the number to as low as 2. In other words let's just say we aint putting Neil O'Donnell or Kordell on our sacred mount when it comes to the qb's. :chuckle:

I'm going to start with my safeties, feel free to jump in with any position you wish or to make comment on mine or to add your own.

Steeler safeties.

Troy Polamalu

Donnie Shell

Carnell Lake

Mike Wagner

My running backs.

Franco Harris

Jerome Bettis

John Henry Johnson

Rocky Bleire

Carolina Steelers
05-15-2011, 07:46 PM
My CB's

Mel Blount
Rod Woodson
Dwayne Woodruff
Ike Taylor (great cover corner wish he had better hands)

Chidi29
05-15-2011, 08:23 PM
QBs

Terry Bradshaw
Ben Roethlisberger
Bobby Layne

SMR
05-15-2011, 08:29 PM
QBs

Terry Bradshaw
Ben Roethlisberger
Bobby Layne

You forgot "Touchdown Tommy"...oh wait, is it "Turnover Tommy"?

:heh:

Hindes204
05-15-2011, 08:43 PM
My running backs.

Franco Harris

Jerome Bettis

John Henry Johnson

Rocky Bleire

who?

Chidi29
05-15-2011, 08:46 PM
You forgot "Touchdown Tommy"...oh wait, is it "Turnover Tommy"?

:heh:

Depends on the year you're referring to...or game...or quarter...or play.

:chuckle:

SMR
05-15-2011, 08:48 PM
Depends on the year you're referring to...or game...or quarter...or play.

:chuckle:

:chuckle::clap2:

SMR
05-15-2011, 09:19 PM
Hey Chidi I sent you a PM. I need some help with something.

Chidi29
05-15-2011, 09:55 PM
I'm going to try and do some of the other positions but they'll be mostly off the top of my head so forgive me if I'm forgetting someone obvious.

RB
Franco Harris
Jerome Bettis
Rocky Bleier
Bill Dudley

WR
John Stallworth
Lynn Swann
Hines Ward
Buddy Dial

TE
Elbie Nickel
Heath Miller

C
Roy Mansfield
Mike Webster
Dirt Dawson

DE
Dwight White
Ernie Holmes
Aaron Smith
Brett Keisel's beard

DT
Joe Greene
LC Greenwood
Eugene Lipscomb
Casey Hampton

LB
Jack Lambert
Jack Ham
Andy Russell
James Harrison

Craic
05-16-2011, 01:25 AM
Dan Rooney-- No chief. Sorry, he's lovable. But he didn't know how to run a football team. Dan made the Steelers.
Chuck Knoll
Bill Cowher
And if he keeps going, Mike Tomlin.

THERE, is why you all the other names on this list. Oh, and for the Indian face cut into the side of the rock, Kevin Colbert.

zulater
05-16-2011, 04:52 AM
who?

I can never spell Rocky's name right without first looking it up, and yesterday when I posted that a storm was blowing in so I had to hurry through and finish before shutting down the computer. But I got a good feeling you knew who I was talking about anyway. But yes you caught me, I'm a dunce, and mispelled his name, happy?

zulater
05-16-2011, 04:54 AM
My CB's

Mel Blount
Rod Woodson
Dwayne Woodruff

I'd sub Jack Butler in over Dwayne Woodruff , but I'm with you on the other 3.

zulater
05-16-2011, 04:58 AM
Here's my defensive line, I'm going complete untit and not doing DT's and DE's seperately, though any of you are welcome to.

Joe Greene

Ernie Stautner

L.C. Greenwood

Aaron Smith

zulater
05-16-2011, 05:00 AM
I'm going to try and do some of the other positions but they'll be mostly off the top of my head so forgive me if I'm forgetting someone obvious.

RB
Franco Harris
Jerome Bettis
Rocky Bleier
Bill Dudley

WR
John Stallworth
Lynn Swann
Hines Ward
Buddy Dial

TE
Elbie Nickel
Heath Miller

C
Roy Mansfield
Mike Webster
Dirt Dawson

DE
Dwight White
Ernie Holmes
Aaron Smith
Brett Keisel's beard

DT
Joe Greene
LC Greenwood
Eugene Lipscomb
Casey Hampton

LB
Jack Lambert
Jack Ham
Andy Russell
James Harrison

No Ernie Stautner?!

Chidi29
05-16-2011, 10:27 AM
No Ernie Stautner?!

I know, totally forgot about them. Not sure who I should take out though.

PalmerSteel
05-16-2011, 10:30 AM
1 - the chief for creating the greatest franchise
2 - chuck knoll for creating the greatest dynasty
3 - his son for committing to keeping the greatest franchise's status where it is today
4 - "the fan" - to tribute the greatest fan base in sports history.

zulater
05-16-2011, 07:32 PM
I know, totally forgot about them. Not sure who I should take out though.

I'd eliminate Big Daddy Lipscomb, who great as he was only played for the Steelers a limited amount of time. I think his greatness is mostly associated with the Colts.

NJarhead
05-17-2011, 05:13 PM

RB
Franco Harris
Jerome Bettis
Rocky Bleier
Bill Dudley

WR
John Stallworth
Lynn Swann
Hines Ward
Buddy Dial

TE
Elbie Nickel
Heath Miller

C
Roy Mansfield
Mike Webster
Dirt Dawson

DE
Dwight White
Ernie Holmes
Aaron Smith
Brett Keisel's beard

DT
Joe Greene
LC Greenwood
Eugene Lipscomb
Casey Hampton

LB
Jack Lambert
Jack Ham
Andy Russell
James Harrison

No Ernie Stautner?!

I would have Mark Bruener in there. It's a widely unheralded position, but while he played, he was the best blocking TE in the league. He probably would have had better pass catching numbers too if not for the Kordell experiment.

zulater
05-17-2011, 05:26 PM
I would have Mark Bruener in there. It's a widely unheralded position, but while he played, he was the best blocking TE in the league. He probably would have had better pass catching numbers too if not for the Kordell experiment.

Eric Green was a pretty good tight end too.

NJarhead
05-17-2011, 05:58 PM
Eric Green was a pretty good tight end too.

Definitely.

TylerD
09-05-2011, 03:30 PM
My CB's

Mel Blount
Rod Woodson
Dwayne Woodruff

??? - Woodruff & Taylor - ???

Dwayne Woodruff = 37 INTs in 157 games.
Ike Taylor = 11 INTs in 125 games.

Jack Butler = 52 INTs in 103 games.