PDA

View Full Version : "Cotton Candy Man" Passes Away

HometownGal
05-10-2011, 02:43 PM
OMG - I was absolutely stunned to hear a little while ago that my beloved "cotton candy man" passed away!!! :jawdrop2: Kenny was a beloved vendor at TRS, PNC Park and Mellon Arena/Consol for a very long time. Several years ago, I ran into him (literally) when coming down out of Section D6 at Mellon Arena and I grabbed his face, kissed him on the cheek and told him how much I enjoyed and appreciated him. Needless to say, his face got red, he gave me a half smile and said "thank you ma'am", then proceeded to raise that tray of cotton candy over his head and go on selling!

Kenny - you will be so missed. One more time. . . .

"Cotton Candy . . . . Cotton Candy here!"

:rip: Kenny.

http://www.post-gazette.com/images5/20110510brk_geidel-ken_160.jpg

Shrill-voiced stadium vendor dies
Tuesday, May 10, 2011
By Dejan Kovacevic , Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Kenny Geidel, the well-known, shrill-voiced vendor at Pittsburgh sporting events for three decades, died Monday, the Pirates confirmed this afternoon.

Some knew Mr. Geidel as the Cotton Candy Guy, the Lemonade Guy, or the "Coke here!" Guy. His no-nonsense, trudging-through-the-rain work ethic endeared him to fans of the Pirates, Steelers and Penguins since he began selling goods through the aisles of Three Rivers Stadium in 1985.

Mr. Geidel, 64, was a resident of Edgewood. He was working at PNC Park again this season as recently as Sunday.

The Pirates and the family plan to issue a statement later.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11130/1145494-100.stm#ixzz1LyqKz5qo

X-Terminator
05-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Wow, this is a shock!! I always figured he had to be in really good shape with the way he took those ramps and steps without much trouble, so it must have happened suddenly. I'm really going to miss him and his cotton candy calls.

:rip: Kenny. You will be sorely missed!

HometownGal
05-10-2011, 04:43 PM
He was the HARDEST working vendor at Pens games. He would be up and down those stairs like a bolt of lightning - used to tire me out just watching him!

Galax Steeler
05-10-2011, 05:03 PM
R.I.P Cotton Candy Man

steelpride12
05-10-2011, 09:38 PM
I posted this in the Pirates section much early, but yes ugh a freaking hero to us kids who went to the games to hear him, he was a great guy and def. too young! R.I.P.

SteelCityMan786
05-11-2011, 12:57 PM
One tough man. Gonna be weird not hearing that voice anymore at PNC Park. RIP Kenny. You served well. God has a great vendor up at the PNC Park in the sky.

HometownGal
05-11-2011, 03:53 PM
I posted this in the Pirates section much early, but yes ugh a freaking hero to us kids who went to the games to hear him, he was a great guy and def. too young! R.I.P.

I felt it deserved its own thread as not all Pens and Steelers fans are Pirates fans, and as fast as posts move in there (especially when the Pirates lose) - it would have gotten lost.

BPS3akaWirels3
05-11-2011, 07:23 PM
I actually had a tear in my eye last night when they announced it during the game... I just saw him last month. I was very sadden by this. That's two PNC ushers this year. :(

stillers4me
05-12-2011, 10:55 AM
RIP, Kenny.