PDA

View Full Version : How 'bout that Tribe!

suitanim
05-10-2011, 09:08 AM
Best start in club history by many accounts. They've won more games in April than any other Indians club (and they were extremely formidable back in the day), and the 13-2 home record is the best since '41. If they beat the Rays tonight, 14-2 at home will be the best ever.

It's not so amazing considering that they've always had a strong farm system and a good eye for talent. They'll need to win whatever they are going to win this year, though, because the big payroll teams will come calling for any talent not signed to multi-year deals. Shin-Soo Choo, Rafael and Chris Perez, and Asdrubal Cabrera are all only signed to one year deals. They have a TON of FA's coming up in 2012, including Carlos Santana, and every starting pitcher but Carmona.

It's a fun team to watch...love seeing young guys playing their guts out and actually winning.

X-Terminator
05-10-2011, 10:05 AM
I'm surprised they are playing this well - I don't think anyone expected them to be this good, this soon. Pretty much everyone thought the White Sox or Tigers would be leading the division by now, and the Tribe would be in or near the basement.

Now, if we can only do something about the Pirates...

steeldevil
05-10-2011, 10:39 AM
When I read the title I instantly thought this would be about William and Mary.

Borski
05-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Go Rays! (Their my #2 team behind the Pirates)

suitanim
05-10-2011, 11:07 AM
I think they are for real...they've swept several series now, and not all against schlop teams. Those West Coast road trips usually decimate East Coast teams, and they are 7-5. They'd be 8-4 if not for a 3-run error committed by Adam Everett against the Angels.

There is talk of actually ADDING a big-name to the roster before the trade deadline, in stark contrast to the last few seasons where they simply looked to dump salary.

Anyway, like I said, it's fun to watch kids playing a game they love and not just for the money...

suitanim
05-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Case in point: Last nights 5-4 win over the Rays. It was a game they would have, for sure, lost last year. In this case, they walked off a winning run in the bottom of the ninth.

Manny Acta had it right when he said "Everyone wins 60 games...it's what you do with the other hundred that matters".

So far, the Indians have figured out a pretty good formula for those other games...

suitanim
05-17-2011, 12:22 PM
Wow, poor Vin Mazzarro...Tribe beat him like a drum. 19-1 over the Royals...

zulater
05-17-2011, 12:51 PM
I'm happy for the Indians, and also happy when I see any small market team in baseball succeed, such as the Marlins, Rays, Twins ( not so much this year) etc...What it really shows is that a competently run orginazation can succeed despite market size in baseball, and anyone who uses baseball's finances to excuse Nutting's ownership of a completely inept Pirates team is completely misguided.

suitanim
05-17-2011, 03:55 PM
But the Pirates do share one common problem with the Tribe: When they DO cultivate a project player through their system into a star MLB player, that player will quickly be snatched up by a major market team with deep pockets. I don't believe the Dolan's have paid for ONE single high-ticket FA so far. And now the Tribe sits 2nd in the power rankings and has 9 guys on the All-ballot, 5 of which actually have a legitimate shot IN SPITE of the fan vote. This team will be gutted by free agency over the next two years...if they are going to win, it HAS to be this year.

zulater
05-17-2011, 05:33 PM
But the Pirates do share one common problem with the Tribe: When they DO cultivate a project player through their system into a star MLB player, that player will quickly be snatched up by a major market team with deep pockets. I don't believe the Dolan's have paid for ONE single high-ticket FA so far. And now the Tribe sits 2nd in the power rankings and has 9 guys on the All-ballot, 5 of which actually have a legitimate shot IN SPITE of the fan vote. This team will be gutted by free agency over the next two years...if they are going to win, it HAS to be this year.

Oh I agree that small market teams are at an disadvantage, it sucks that teams like the Indians and Rays have trouble keeping their top line talent. My only point was that baseball's economics aren't insurmountable for the better run teams.

Anyway I hope they keep it up through the year and make it all the way to the Series. Cleveland fans deserve a winner after all these years, well a winner, just so long as it's not the Browns. :chuckle:

suitanim
05-23-2011, 08:20 AM
See ya, Reds...next up Red Sox!

http://www.hvacinstaller.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/broom.jpg

KeiselPower99
05-25-2011, 03:26 PM
I was able to watch the Reds series and really became a believer. When Sizemore and Hafner return fromt the DL its gonna be a great summer. I just wonder if they will go out and rent a few players for a playoff run or let the team keep on winning with the same formula.

suitanim
05-27-2011, 08:37 AM
The question is, who? They don't need a big bat if Hafner is DHing. Their outfield, when healthy and now that Brantley is finally playing up to expectations, may be the best in MLB. The only weak link in the IF MAY be Hannahan, but he has been excellent defensively and surprisingly effective at the plate.

Maybe a pitcher? Talbot looked bad a couple days ago, but the Sox were just on fire and lit up the whole staff. I like what they've got going, and they have both Gomez and White to call up in a pinch.

KeiselPower99
06-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Its been a bad couple of weeks.

suitanim
06-14-2011, 08:05 AM
Well, Carrasco saved our asses...1-0 to save from being swept.

Other than Carmona (who has stunk up the joint....I'd consider sending him down and giving Jeanmar Gomez a shot to pitch for a few weeks), the pitching has been way better than a 5-15 record. The hitting has just disappeared. Is Hafner (and to a lessor degree, Sizemore) REALLY that important to the lineup? What the Hell is wrong with Choo? A Career .300 hitter, batting .234 for the season, and less than his weight in this last slump.

X-Terminator
06-14-2011, 08:59 AM
I hope they're still struggling when the Bucs come in this weekend...

suitanim
06-15-2011, 11:14 AM
I hope they're still struggling when the Bucs come in this weekend...

No offense (the Pirates are my second favorite team) but I think that is exactly what the Indians doctor prescribed!

X-Terminator
06-15-2011, 11:37 AM
No offense (the Pirates are my second favorite team) but I think that is exactly what the Indians doctor prescribed!

Well, I hope the Indians take them as lightly, because (at least for now) these aren't the "same old Pirates." The Tribe had better make sure to show up for work this weekend, let's just say that.

Edman
06-15-2011, 01:15 PM
I wouldn't take the Pirates lightly just yet. Not yet at least. They've actually beat some pretty good teams this season. They're playing some pretty inspired ball, the most inspired I've ever seen during this long stretch. of losing.

suitanim
06-16-2011, 07:56 AM
Trust me, the Tribe is taking NO ONE lightly, now...but this has been a murderous stretch, playing the Rays, The Rangers (and the Indians cannot for the life of them figure Texas out), 4 in New York against the Yanks, and now the super hot Tigers in Detroit. They'll just be happy to be home.

suitanim
06-20-2011, 09:05 AM
Sweet! Another sweep, and a 3-game win streak. I was impressed with the Pirates pitching...the Indians picked a good time to come out of their hitting slump.

suitanim
06-27-2011, 08:11 AM
Blech! Swept in San Fran. Can't hit a lick!

KeiselPower99
06-27-2011, 07:09 PM
The Lonnie Chisenhall era has began!!! With the loss of Choo I really hope they can get a decent outfielder for cheap somewhere. And Carmona looked decent last night. I give him a few more starts to work out of his slump. We cant send him down because he has no more options left and would have to clear waivers.

suitanim
06-28-2011, 03:44 PM
I'm anxious to see if he can catch a little spark like Cord Phelps did (although he has been a bit of a liability in the field).

FA Needs:
Left handed starting pitcher...worry about who gets shipped after the acquisition.
OF with some pop. Ryan Ludwick get a second tour of duty with the Tribe?

Amazing they are still hovering around first after being decimated with injuries.

KeiselPower99
07-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Talbot hasnt looked the same since his trip to the DL and Carmona being sent there might his mind readjust. I read yesterday that the trip are looking at Ludwick Jeff Francour and Josh Willingham ans guys to help out while Choo is down. Also Congrats to Chris Perez and Asdrubal Cabrera for making the All Star game.

suitanim
07-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Tomlin deserves to be on that team, but as long as fan voting is in effect, it will continue to be a largely Yankee/Red Sox All-Star team, whether they deserve it or not. He's 10-4 with a 3.78 ERA, and the only pitchers with better records have also had one more start then him.

There are some players on that roster that are absolutely laughable. Russell Martin (C, Yankees) is batting .219. Jeter beating out Asdrubal Cabrera is proof-positive of Yankee fan ballot-box-stuffing. Letting fans vote 25 times a piece is borderline retarded.

Anyway, it was sweet watching the Tribe beat the evil empire last night....

suitanim
07-08-2011, 10:08 AM
w00t!

Down 4-0, bottom of the ninth, the Tribe makes it 4-1, load em up, and Hafner knocks the walk-off slam for a 5-4 win.

Is that early season magic back?

KeiselPower99
07-10-2011, 05:52 PM
I found a Hafner shirt on ebay in March and bought it for 99 cents. I bet theres alot of people that are glad the Tribe didnt give up on him.

suitanim
07-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Playing stinkingly going into the break. What happened to Carrasco? He was their best pitcher for a spell, and he's sucked his last two outings....

Hafner is the only reason they didn't get swept...

KeiselPower99
07-29-2011, 12:39 PM
Picked up Fukudome from the Cubs. Not sure how much he will help.

suitanim
07-29-2011, 02:25 PM
Picked up Fukudome from the Cubs. Not sure how much he will help.

Not much...the basically traded for another Travis Buck, who was already a left-batting outfielder hitting .250 or so.

They'll need more...an OF with pop who hits from the right, and another starting pitcher.

KeiselPower99
07-31-2011, 12:07 PM
Ubaldo Jimenez is now a Indian. Big move by the Tribe. Im not big on giving up White though.

suitanim
07-31-2011, 01:37 PM
We had a shot at Pedro Martinez back in the day, but would not give up Jaret Wright. Proven players trump prospects. I like the moves they've made so far.

suitanim
08-04-2011, 08:36 AM
Our new ace starts tonight! Hopefully, he can break the bad streak we've had in Texas against the Rangers. Seems like we haven't won there in ages. We need 2 of 3 with the Tigers coming to town after this trip. The next 7 days will show if this team is a real contender or not...

suitanim
08-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Good outing for Jimenez last night! Tribe only two back, and the bats are on fire..sweep those Tigers!

KeiselPower99
08-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Kipnis is looking amazing.

suitanim
08-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Damn...so close to the sweep. Verlander is juts unhittable though...

suitanim
08-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Alright alright alright! 2 of 3 from the ChiSox IN Chicago. That team has had our number. BIG series coming up with the Tigers in Detroit. Talk about controlling your own fate!

Carrasco is out until September, so it's either Gomez or Zack McAllister. Think about that. The Tribe has changed 3/5ths of their opening day starting rotation (Adding Jimenez, calling up Huff and now, my guess, Gomez), they have a minor leaguer called up to play center (Ezequiel Carrera), and they have added both Chisenhall and Kipnis from the minors in the infield, we're in late August, and they are 1 1/2 back in their division. Who would have EVER thunk it???

KeiselPower99
08-21-2011, 02:17 PM
Its been a crazy year for the Tribe. I hope we can win out but Detroit and Chicago have had our number all year.

86WARD
08-21-2011, 02:21 PM
How about who?

suitanim
08-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Looked like shit lately. It's one thing to lose to Detroit in Detroit (although they needed to win all those games, not get swept), but to lose to the gawdawful Mariners at home is unacceptable.

I watched both games of the double header last yesterday, and although they pulled off the win in the first game, they should have lost. They blew a 4-3 lead in the ninth and were trailing 5-4 when Choo bailed them out by dinging a 3-run homer.

Pitching hasn't even been that good, and the hitting is awful. They are decimated by injuries as well. hey fought hard to get within a game and a half, and now they are 6 back and losing to the effing Mariners again. Even Tomlin is getting pounded now.

If they don't turn things around quick, the playoff dream will die...

KeiselPower99
08-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Looks like Hafner is gonna be lost for the rest of the season. It suprised me that we were in it this late considering how the injuries have been constant all season and guys were in slumps most of the year. If we get 2nd place Ill consider it a success. We are gonna be good but we aint there yet.

suitanim
08-25-2011, 08:21 AM
To be fair, in yesterday's cebacle, they were without:
Hafner
Sizemore
Brantley
Choo
Kipnis

And, to compound matters, they rested Asdrubal Cabrera. Basically the Mariners were playing the Akron Aero's with a better pitcher, then even steady Tomlin broke-down.

I said recently that they were entering into the most important segment of their season, and the results would dictate the outcome. So far they have failed. Miserably. I have to agree, this isn't going to be the year. They need to pick-up a left-handed starter. They still need a right-hitting power guy. If they can get healthy and keep the core from this year with those two additions next year, they will be right there.

KeiselPower99
08-25-2011, 06:31 PM
The biggest mistake they made at the deadline was not getting a rh power guy. We possibly spent to much on Jimeniz.