PDA

View Full Version : Never Write in Absolutes, Especially on Willie Colon

stillers4me
05-09-2011, 04:50 AM
Long-time and respected Steelers’ reporter Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazetteblogged that there is no chance whatsoever that Willie Colon will move to guard because “he does not run well enough to play the position (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/109752-gerry-listen-up-colon-not-moving-to-guard).”

First, people should never speak or write in absolutes outside of tested research in the hard sciences. Second, every single draft and scouting service listed Colon as a guard prospect when he came out of Hofstra in 2006, so it is certainly not absurd to think he could play that position. It should be noted that many current NFL guards also played tackle in college; and at 6-foot-3, 320 pounds, Colon physically looks much more like an NFL guard than tackle..............

read more @ http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/05/write-absolutes-willie-colon/#more-5324

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Saying that Dulac is "respected" is purely an opinion that I dont share. He's a scribe and a decent one at that, but his football opinions are baffling at times. Gil Brandt, Steve Mariucci, Tony Pauline, Mike Mayock are names I would pin that term on.

Is Dulac somehow implying that Colon is less athletic than Ramon Foster???? Colon is athletic enough to play G, but the fact that he has played well at RT and the Steelers have never had another decent OT in the past 5 seasons to replace him is more of the reason he never pushed inside to guard I think. I honestly dont think Colon will sign another contract with the Steelers, nor move to guard.

Texasteel
05-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Colon on the inside is something that has had a few of us foaming at the mouth over. IMO his body is and ability screams out OG. I personally would love to see Gilbert tack down the RT spot, letting Colon play RG. I think that would improve our O-line greatly, as unlikely as it is.