PDA

View Full Version : Should The Pittsburgh Steelers Be Interested In David Akers?

stillers4me
05-07-2011, 08:06 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers (http://steelerschronicle.com/) saw what could possibly rank as one of the worst missed field goals in Super Bowl history in their big game against the eventual world champion Green Bay Packers (http://www.packerschronicle.com/). Kicker Shaun Suisham (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/suishsha01.htm) came in for a routine, albeit 52 yard, field goal, and promptly shanked it to the left. And it wasn’t a few inches from going in, or anything like that, it was quite possible that Suisham was suffering from a bit of double vision during the kick.

Now, we can debate whether or not the play calling was questionable for even sending the kicker out in that situation, which it was, or we can talk about just how bad a miss it was. 52 yard field goals aren’t easy, but even at that, if anything you expect them to be short, or at least come close in comparison to the kick that made Steelers fans cringe, Buffalo Bills (http://www.billschronicle.com/) fans reminisce, and Washington Redskins (http://www.redskinspost.com/) fans explode on Twitter saying ‘that’s the Suisham we know’..............

read more @ http://www.steelerschronicle.com/2011/05/should-the-pittsburgh-steelers-be-interested-in-david-akers.html/

HometownGal
05-07-2011, 08:12 AM
I dunno - I was pretty happy with Sushi's performance last season and I'm not going to run him out of town on a rail because he missed a 52 yard FG in the Super Bowl. If we're going to scapegoat him, we may as well put Ben, Mendy, our D and the entire team and coaching staff on that same rail, as our SB loss was a team loss.

Akers is a very good PK for the most part, but he's missed some easy FG's over the years just like every other PK out there - even the great ones. I would know - I usually have him on some of my FF teams every season. :heh: Yes- he is more of a seasoned vet in that position but I'm sure he wouldn't come cheap. Imho - I say we stick with Sushi for this season.

zulater
05-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Akers would be a huge upgrade over Sushi if he can be had at the right price.

As far as Akers' playoff misses last year, I would discount them because he was under a lot of durress at the time because of a sick child. In fact I know that several Eagles players got pissed at Fat Andy for calling out Akers after their playoff loss because he was aware of what was going on in David's life at the time.

Anyway it wouldn't surprise me if Akers would come to Pittsburgh at a slight discount for a shot at a ring that he could in turn shove up Andy Reid's fat ass! .

SMR
05-07-2011, 08:30 AM
I would get Akers while trying to keep Suisham. Have them two battle it out to encourage honing/refining their kicking skills. Iron sharpens iron, and thus competition can be a wonderful thing.

86WARD
05-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Being from Philly and seeing a lot of the recent Akers...he's a shadow of his former self. Better than Suisham? Maybe. I'd rather see them go out and sign Forbath to a free agent deal...when that can happen.

SteelerEmpire
05-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Suisham is pretty accurate "within his range" ... the problem is his range is not that far. I already knew he was gonna miss that 52 yd FG in the SB, but Rogers and Co. had the Steelers secondary on the ropes and I believe Tomlin made the call out of frustration and loss of confidence in LeBeau's secondary (hurts me to say that). I like Suisham because he has a lot of heart and he can double as a punter, but the fact that his range is so short, well, the reality of that will speak for itself. Unless he improves his value to the team, his position is not too secure.

SteelerFanInStl
05-07-2011, 09:45 AM

As far as Akers' playoff misses last year, I would discount them because he was under a lot of durress at the time because of a sick child. In fact I know that several Eagles players got pissed at Fat Andy for calling out Akers after their playoff loss because he was aware of what was going on in David's life at the time.

Anyway it wouldn't surprise me if Akers would come to Pittsburgh at a slight discount for a shot at a ring that he could in turn shove up Andy Reid's fat ass! .

Agreed. I'd love to see Akers in a Steelers uniform.

steeldawg
05-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Routine 52 yarder?

ALLD
05-07-2011, 01:44 PM
The kicking game has needed a complete makeover much like the OL and secondary. Those three squads have been held together with string and tape the last few years. It's about time to have championship caliber players in those spots.

HometownGal
05-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Also - it would really piss off the Iggles fans. :lol: :applaudit:

I don't see it happening, as Akers most likely is going to command a higher price than the Steelers are willing to pay up.

Psycho Ward 86
05-07-2011, 02:36 PM
I already knew he was gonna miss that 52 yd FG in the SB

Did you know he was going to make all 4 40+ yard field goals to save our asses against the Bills too?

KeiselPower99
05-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Ill take a Akers vs Sushi training camp battle. But Philly did give him the transition tag.

The Duke
05-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Ill take a Akers vs Sushi training camp battle. But Philly did give him the transition tag.

he had his chance to sign it and never did. Now they used a 4th round pick on a kicker. If he shows he's as good as everyone thinks akers will be gone. Wouldn't surprise me if his tag is rescinded as soon as the lockout ends

I like sushi and I won't blame the superbowl on his one missed kick. Think he only had one other miss in his time with us

Would have really wanted Henery, but seems like the team is confident in Shaun so I am too. Doubt they go for a veteran like akers

st33lersguy
05-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Akers is an aging player and Suisam did have a good year last year. No thank you

X-Terminator
05-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Akers is an aging player and Suisam did have a good year last year. No thank you

Age has nothing to do with it. John Kasay is still kicking, and he's like 80. I'd take Akers over Sushi assuming they don't sign another young kicker in FA.

Craic
05-07-2011, 11:08 PM
Once this whole CBA thing works out, I wouldn't mind seeing them bring about 5 to camp and just let them kick away. Heck, hold open tryouts!

steelreserve
05-09-2011, 02:44 PM
No way -- Reed is the ONLY kicker that can kick at Heinz Field and I still remember what it was like before him. It disgusts me how people are willing to throw a guy under the bus for one mistake. Hey, Ben had a couple incomplete passes; should we get rid of him too? GOD, Steelers fans are so spoiled it's sickening. Even if we went 16-0 and won the Super Bowl they'd find something to bitch about.

... wait. I guess I'm about a year late on that one.

fansince'76
05-09-2011, 02:46 PM
No way -- Reed is the ONLY kicker that can kick at Heinz Field and I still remember what it was like before him. It disgusts me how people are willing to throw a guy under the bus for one mistake. Hey, Ben had a couple incomplete passes; should we get rid of him too? GOD, Steelers fans are so spoiled it's sickening. Even if we went 16-0 and won the Super Bowl they'd find something to bitch about.

... wait. I guess I'm about a year late on that one.

And Parker sucks! :lol: :lol: :lol:

SteelCityMan786
05-09-2011, 03:29 PM

I don't see it happening, as Akers most likely is going to command a higher price than the Steelers are willing to pay up.

I remember what happened the last time an ex-Eagle came to Pittsburgh (Coughs Duce Staley Coughs). I'm pretty sure it worked out well for the Ex-Eagle within the next year.

zulater
02-16-2012, 05:47 AM

If only the Steelers would have listened to us! :doh: If you break down our season you could make the case that our fate was sealed by a single game. That game being the week 9 home game against the Ravens. Had Tomlin had more confidence in our kicker we most likely win that game, and with it the division and the AFC's number 1 seed. No one likes to overpay a kicker, but a little more of an investment there probably would have paid off.

Pristas
02-16-2012, 07:45 AM
If only the Steelers would have listened to us! :doh: If you break down our season you could make the case that our fate was sealed by a single game. That game being the week 9 home game against the Ravens. Had Tomlin had more confidence in our kicker we most likely win that game, and with it the division and the AFC's number 1 seed. No one likes to overpay a kicker, but a little more of an investment there probably would have paid off.

quoted for truth.

86WARD
02-16-2012, 08:12 AM
The plain and simple answer is yes. The only explanation that is needed are the words: "Shaun Suisham.".

86WARD
02-16-2012, 08:13 AM
Shaun Suisham...

suitanim
02-16-2012, 08:57 AM
I don't know about Akers, but we better open camp with at least two other K's to fight for a roster spot.

steelerdiva
02-16-2012, 09:54 AM

Well....let's be real. It doesn't take much to piss them off. Heehee...:chuckle:

Here's my idea:

Waive Suisham...Get Akers....draft a good young kicker in the later rounds and have them battle it out for the starting spot.

X-Terminator
02-16-2012, 10:38 AM
Unfortunately Akers is signed for 2 more seasons in SF. After last season, I definitely wish they'd have gone after him. There are some decent FA available (Rackers and Scobee are 2 off the top of my head), or they can draft one in the late rounds.

BigNastyDefense
02-16-2012, 11:02 AM
We need a new kicker this offseason via free agency, a late round draft pick, or a UDFA.

zulater
02-16-2012, 11:12 AM
Unfortunately Akers is signed for 2 more seasons in SF. After last season, I definitely wish they'd have gone after him. There are some decent FA available (Rackers and Scobee are 2 off the top of my head), or they can draft one in the late rounds.

Yeah I know Akers isn't available. I just was looking for a thread to bump up to change the redundancy of the past few days. :wink02:

steelerdude15
02-16-2012, 11:32 AM
I'd like to draft a kicker and build him up.

X-Terminator
02-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Yeah I know Akers isn't available. I just was looking for a thread to bump up to change the redundancy of the past few days. :wink02:

Trust me man, I appreciate it :lol:

tube517
02-16-2012, 01:24 PM

More FGs leads to more Arians lovers vs haters "discussions". :rofl2:

polamalubeast
02-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Shuishan is one of the worst kicker in the NFL.

I would like to have another kicker in 2012.I think he has the better kicker in the CFL that Shuishan.

Should at least be a competition in training camp for the position of kicker.

SteelGhost
02-16-2012, 01:31 PM
One more position to reload IMHO

zulater
02-16-2012, 01:32 PM

What's that? I can't hear you! :lala: :cuckoo:

SteelGhost
02-16-2012, 01:36 PM

:buttkick: :chuckle:

XxKnightxX
02-16-2012, 02:06 PM
I remember what happened the last time an ex-Eagle came to Pittsburgh (Coughs Duce Staley Coughs). I'm pretty sure it worked out well for the Ex-Eagle within the next year.

Greatest Spectator in Steelers History

http://steelerstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/duce1.jpg

Steelersfan
02-18-2012, 01:12 PM
If Suisham is on the roster next season, the front office didn't do their job to help improve the team. Kicker is one of the easiest and cheapest upgrades that can be made. In our situation it should be a no-brainer. Cut Suisham by March 13th and use his salary to sign a kicker. Add whatever incentives, bonuses, or other possible maneuvers that are needed to not add to Suisham's 2012 projected cap numbers but still lure a good young free agent kicker to the Steelers.

We all know the Steelers will never put their field goal hopes in the hands of a rookie, so why draft one ??? Ole man Akers isn't the answer either. Use Suisham's salary to sign either Matt Prater or Connor Barth. I think Denver will do everything possible to resign Prater, so Connor Barth is more than likely the best possible choice right now.

Who wouldn't want to leave Tampa right now during their implosion. Kid has never missed an extra point in his 4 years in the league. He had a 92.9 field goal percentage last year with a long of 55 yards, the year before was a long of 53 yards. He's my first move by the Steelers the minute free agency kicks off on March 13th.

7willBheaven
02-18-2012, 02:03 PM
If Suisham is on the roster next season, the front office didn't do their job to help improve the team. Kicker is one of the easiest and cheapest upgrades that can be made. In our situation it should be a no-brainer. Cut Suisham by March 13th and use his salary to sign a kicker. Add whatever incentives, bonuses, or other possible maneuvers that are needed to not add to Suisham's 2012 projected cap numbers but still lure a good young free agent kicker to the Steelers.

We all know the Steelers will never put their field goal hopes in the hands of a rookie, so why draft one ??? Ole man Akers isn't the answer either. Use Suisham's salary to sign either Matt Prater or Connor Barth. I think Denver will do everything possible to resign Prater, so Connor Barth is more than likely the best possible choice right now.

Who wouldn't want to leave Tampa right now during their implosion. Kid has never missed an extra point in his 4 years in the league. He had a 92.9 field goal percentage last year with a long of 55 yards, the year before was a long of 53 yards. He's my first move by the Steelers the minute free agency kicks off on March 13th.

Agreed!

Yes its too bad they couldnt have signed Akers...but for the money he's making like 3-4 mil a yr...thats waaaay too much for a kicker (esp with they're cap situation right now).

SMR
02-18-2012, 02:31 PM

You know what? That is a pretty good post right there. That may actually sway me. Barth may be a good fit for us. Wait and see.

NCSteeler
02-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Only problem is if we cut him and someone aka the Colts signs him then we'll feel like fools. I guess I'm ok with whatever Tomlin decides so long as AR2 isn't demanding Suishi retires.

Count Steeler
02-18-2012, 02:35 PM
I would love an upgrade at the Kicker's position. Sushi is not good enough.

The Duke
02-18-2012, 08:45 PM
I didn't realize Dan Bailey from the cowboys was so good last season

yes, he had that miss with Jason Garret's blunder, but other than that he was almost perfect last year. Wish we would have given him a TC invite

GBMelBlount
02-18-2012, 10:15 PM
I would love an upgrade at the Kicker's position. Sushi is not good enough.

Agreed. Perhaps we should trade up in the draft...again. :D

Iron Steeler
02-20-2012, 07:50 AM
Sushi sux. He has no confidence from anything 40+ . Def need to upgrade at this position