PDA

View Full Version : 2012

Texasteel
05-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Is it to early to start looking at 2012? Not for me it isn't particularly since there seem to be so many that are unhappy, not so much with the picks, but the absents or lateness of a position that they though was an urgent need. With that in mind I would like to start with the NTs. IMO 2012 NTs are much deeper and better at the top than 2011. This could be the reason they decided not to go with a NT this year.

Tydreke Powel /l NC / 6'3" 310 May enter the 2012 draft as the top rated DT.
Josh Chapman / Alabama / 6'1" 310 As I stated this is my favorite going it next year. I think he could put on a pound or two without effecting his play. A very strong NT who's playing style has been compared to Hampton.
Alameda Ta'amu / Washington / 6'3" 330 The largest of the top prospects, he has size and strength, but not as quick of the line.
Brandon Thompson / Clemson / Much like Josh Chapman but not quite as strong.

Powell may start the year rated as a 1st round talent, the other 3 likely a 2nd. We will see where they go from there.

These are the easy ones to pick out, from here it will take a little more work. A dark horse I was going to give was Jewhan Edwards of Minnesota but I am hearing that he has left school.

Anyone else have a player they think bares watching?

7willBheaven
05-06-2011, 03:39 PM
And here I thought this was about the world ending...hahaha

Aussie_steeler
05-07-2011, 02:22 AM
Hey I got zero picks right this year........

So I am working on getting a start on 2012

Hows this sound Tex for starters??

1. Jeff Fuller WR Texas A&M 6'3 215
2. Donta Hightower ILB Alabama 6'4 258
3. Alameda Ta'amu NT Washington 6'3 330

I am guessing we need an OT so I will pick anything but..

Texasteel
05-07-2011, 04:46 AM
I do like those very much. Hightower is a kid I was planning of zeroing in on, and Ta'amu would make a lot of people, including me very happy.

OT look like it may been a little better and deeper at the top next year, but I don't know who good the 3rd round OT are going to be yet. OT my be a position we attack early or let alone. Hard to tell right now.

The Duke
05-07-2011, 04:57 AM
Matt Reynolds is still my favorite tackle from the past few years, but I think he'll put himself out of our range this season

If we hadn't drafted Heyward I would have loved Jared Crick next year. Dude reminds me so much of aaron smith not only in his style of playing but as a person

Aussie_steeler
05-07-2011, 05:39 AM
Matt Reynolds is still my favorite tackle from the past few years, but I think he'll put himself out of our range this season

If we hadn't drafted Heyward I would have loved Jared Crick next year. Dude reminds me so much of aaron smith not only in his style of playing but as a person

I pimped Matt Reynolds pretty hard as a junior hoping he would declare.

Unfortunately the more tape I watched of him the more my opinion changed. He didnt inspire confidence in me as a natural left tackle as he tackled higher level competition. He looked slow with his feet. I am looking forward to seeing how he plays this year. We have to remember he is nearly in the Danny Watkins age range.

Aussie_steeler
05-07-2011, 05:54 AM
I do like those very much. Hightower is a kid I was planning of zeroing in on, and Ta'amu would make a lot of people, including me very happy

Here are some clips from big games last season on some of the LB talent for 2012

Donta Hightower - looks like our 3-4 ILB thumper
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyeXZTTcz8E

Vontaze Burfict - #1 ranked LB. Looks more like a 4-3 OLB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxQEkLHo0F4

Courtney Upshaw - DE / OLB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6DGTN-_qxU

Tank Carder
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBQTw7zBv1k

I know who I like after looking at those. What about you Tex?

7willBheaven
05-07-2011, 12:28 PM
I know nothing about any of the 2012 prospects and probably wont for a while. But with them taking an OT in the 2nd this year...I doubt they target one early next year. The biggest needs for next year will probably be NT and S (possibly CB but not sure - depends how things go this year). If Timmons and Woodley are re-signed then those positions do not become a huge need. Other than that I'm not sure what other big needs they'd have...I guess it'll depend on how this season goes...who goes and who stays, etc.

stillers4me
05-07-2011, 12:33 PM
One of the spots we did not address this year is TE. I'm not sold on Spaeth as heath's backup.

Texasteel
05-08-2011, 09:51 AM
I know who I like after looking at those. What about you Tex?

I like the two underclassmen, if they come out, with Hightower my overwhelming favorite.

Upshaw is going to be a tremendous prospect, but I'm afraid the transition may be to great, even though he is listed as an ILB. Besides I don't think we will have any kind of shot at him. I do love my local boy Tank.

That is a very good list, but might suggest you add a name. Acho's baby brother Emmanuel. He's not as big as his brother, but may be a little quick.

Devilsdancefloor
05-08-2011, 10:20 AM
One of the spots we did not address this year is TE. I'm not sold on Spaeth as heath's backup.

problem with TE anymore is you have all these spread O and you get a pass catching TE with 0 blocking skills at least i have seen this as a trend for a few years. i think it is only gonna get worse

taztroy43
05-08-2011, 12:36 PM
I would like Monte Teo MLB Norte Dame...this guy is a beast in the middle...I think in 2012 it's going to be between Burflict and Teo as the best MLBs in the draft...I think Teo would be realistic for us since Burflict might go off the board first...

Texasteel
05-08-2011, 01:22 PM
I would like Monte Teo MLB Norte Dame...this guy is a beast in the middle...I think in 2012 it's going to be between Burflict and Teo as the best MLBs in the draft...I think Teo would be realistic for us since Burflict might go off the board first...

If Teo and Burfict do come out they should be high picks, but if I had to pick today, I would still take Hightower. I mean if he comes out of course.

Chidi29
05-08-2011, 03:39 PM
I'm interested in this Burfict kid. I've watched a little of him and he sounds like a monster. But he might be a little too violent if there can be such a thing for a LB.

Texasteel
05-08-2011, 08:44 PM
I'm interested in this Burfict kid. I've watched a little of him and he sounds like a monster. But he might be a little too violent if there can be such a thing for a LB.

I these three underclassmen come out this should be a very interesting LBer class. We could easily go LB in the 1st round next year.

steeldevil
05-09-2011, 12:06 AM
I really like LB Mante T'eo and WR Michael Floyd from Notre Dame. Of course both will likely be top 20 picks so we will have no shot at either.... assuming we don't have another 2009....

Texasteel
05-09-2011, 08:51 AM
If the top 4 underclassmen ILBers come out. Hightower, Burfict, Kuechly, and T'eo, I could see 5 ILBs ending up with first round grade, and this doesn't even count the players figured to be OLBer. If this does happen, I will almost bet we go LBer in the 1st next year. My favorite would still be Hightower. The clips Aussie left only confirmed that.

Aussie_steeler
05-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Manti Teo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdJ9lC9UhRY

Luke Kuechly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz1g1K-wPqo

And what if this guy comes out

Shane Skov
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amQU1TPoj1g

That could be very interesting if all declare

Possibly
1. Luke Kuechly
2. Vontaze Burfict
3. Courtney Upshaw
4. Manti Teo
5. Donta Hightower
6. Tank Carder
7. Chris Gallipo

and I am not sure where to put Shane Skov if he is eligible. That is quite the list of LB's

Texasteel
05-11-2011, 08:35 AM
NT
Tydreke Powel /l NC / 6'3" 310
Josh Chapman / Alabama / 6'1" 310
Alameda Ta'amu / Washington / 6'3" 330
Brandon Thompson / Clemson / 6'2" 310

Possible underclassmen
Jerel Worthy / Michigan St. / 6'3" 305

ILB
Courtney Upshaw / Alabama / 6'2" 263
Chris Galippo / Southern Cal. / 6'2' 250

Possible underclassmen
Vonataze Burfict / Arizona St. / 6'3" 245
Donta Hightower / Alabama / 2'4" 258
Luke Kuechly / Boston Collage / 6'2" 235
Manti Te'o / ND / 6'2" 245

OLB (Including DE/OLB)
Zack Brown / NC / 6'2'' 230
Travis Lewis / Oklahoma / 6'2'' 235
Brandon Lindsey / Pitt / 6'2'' 250
Tank Carter / TCU / 6'2'' 240
Andre Branch / Clemson / 6'4'' 258
Vinny Curry / Marshall / 6'4 252

Possible underclassmen
Ronnall Lewis / Oklahoma / 6'2'' 240
Donte Paige-Moss / NC / 6'4'' 258
Brandon Jenkins / Florida St. / 6'3' 255
Cameron Meredith / Nebraska / 6'4'' 265

Anyone want to talk about OLB

7willBheaven
05-11-2011, 12:07 PM
NT
Tydreke Powel /l NC / 6'3" 310
Josh Chapman / Alabama / 6'1" 310
Alameda Ta'amu / Washington / 6'3" 330
Brandon Thompson / Clemson / 6'2" 310

Possible underclassmen
Jerel Worthy / Michigan St. / 6'3" 305

ILB
Courtney Upshaw / Alabama / 6'2" 263
Chris Galippo / Southern Cal. / 6'2' 250

Possible underclassmen
Vonataze Burfict / Arizona St. / 6'3" 245
Donta Hightower / Alabama / 2'4" 258
Luke Kuechly / Boston Collage / 6'2" 235
Manti Te'o / ND / 6'2" 245

OLB (Including DE/OLB)
Zack Brown / NC / 6'2'' 230
Travis Lewis / Oklahoma / 6'2'' 235
Brandon Lindsey / Pitt / 6'2'' 250
Tank Carter / TCU / 6'2'' 240
Andre Branch / Clemson / 6'4'' 258
Vinny Curry / Marshall / 6'4 252

Possible underclassmen
Ronnall Lewis / Oklahoma / 6'2'' 240
Donte Paige-Moss / NC / 6'4'' 258
Brandon Jenkins / Florida St. / 6'3' 255
Cameron Meredith / Nebraska / 6'4'' 265

Anyone want to talk about OLB

Thanks for breaking it down into Underclassmen/etc. Especially for those of us who do not know without having to take the time to check into each and every guy.

I'd rather not talk about OLB, hahah. As I do not think its a big need (even less than ILB is a need)

Texasteel
05-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Thanks for breaking it down into Underclassmen/etc. Especially for those of us who do not know without having to take the time to check into each and every guy.

I'd rather not talk about OLB, hahah. As I do not think its a big need (even less than ILB is a need)

Just for you 7. Watch Emmanuel Acho of Texas if you get a chance. He is listed as an OLB, but I think he might play inside. I really do think we likely will look at ILB and right now he is figured to be a 3rd round pick.