PDA

View Full Version : Cook: Steelers' Mendenhall has right to free speech

stillers4me
05-06-2011, 05:02 AM
I said it a year ago when a lot of people insisted they wouldn't support the Steelers as long as Ben Roethlisberger is the quarterback. I'll say it again now when many want to chase running back Rashard Mendenhall out of town because he went public with an opinion that differed from theirs.

Be careful what you wish for, Steelers fans.

You might regret it later.

Not that Mendenhall is going anywhere................

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11126/1144461-87.stm

Vis
05-06-2011, 05:06 AM
Was he arrested for what he said? If he was we have a first amendment issue. Otherwise, huh?

zulater
05-06-2011, 05:13 AM
I've seen very few people that endorse his release. All most Steeler fans want of Rashard is for him to educate himself about what about he's talking about before hitting send on his twitter or short of that to STFU!

I think Don Banks put it best in his SI column concerning same with this...

Two thoughts raced to mind when I learned of Mendenhall's musings. First, a version of the saying that goes "Better to be presumed a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.'' And second, the line that has always been credited to former New York Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan: "Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. But they are not entitled to their own facts.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/05/04/mendenhall/index.html#ixzz1LZ9s7Zyi

HometownGal
05-06-2011, 07:05 AM
Hell - I never even thought about "running Mendenhall out of town" because of his inconsiderate and moronic remarks. I think the young man needs a huge lesson in humility and a crash course on knowing when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. In other words - when to open the trap and when to simply STFU.

Texasteel
05-06-2011, 07:13 AM
Freedom of speech is wonderful thing in this country. Unfortunately that freedom does not release you of any responsibility for what you say. If he has the right to say what he did, then I and everyone else has the right to be disgusted by his comments, and say so. I think Zu said this very thing in another thread, and I agree with him.

fansince'76
05-06-2011, 07:41 AM
I'll say it again now when many want to chase running back Rashard Mendenhall out of town because he went public with an opinion that differed from theirs.Well, that and a lot of people are still pissed about the fumble in the SB and very wrongly point to that play as being the only reason the team lost that game. Why so many people feel the need to look for a single scapegoat for a game in which the entire team by and large played like ass is beyond me.

Personally? I chalk it up to Mendenhall being a young, idealistic kid who hit the submit button without thinking about what he wrote. Since it's going to hit him in the wallet in the form of at least one lost endorsement deal, I have no doubt he'll learn from the experience. Now that the team is FINALLY taking steps to shore up the OL, why wouldn't I want to keep him around?

Vis
05-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Personally? I chalk it up to Mendenhall being a young, idealistic kid ...

Young idealistic misogynist.

fansince'76
05-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Young idealistic misogynist.

True, but he's far from the only guy out there who feels that way. Still, it was somewhat shocking to see a 23-year-old kid come off like a bitter, thrice-divorced forty-something.

SteelerSal
05-06-2011, 11:16 AM
True, but he's far from the only guy out there who feels that way. Still, it was somewhat shocking to see a 23-year-old kid come off like a bitter, thrice-divorced forty-something.

Hey..leave me out of this. What did I ever do to you?? :)

pepsyman1
05-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Fansince76... you said the important part there..."23 year old kid" Rashard was only 13 when 9/11 happened. He really doesn't even realize how stupid some of the things he said are. Although he might have seen what was going on in school when it happened, he wasn't old enough to truly realize the magnitude of the event at the time. His comments about it scream a lack of comprehension that would be typical of today's younger generation in regards to many things. He simply doesn't get it, hopefully he will learn when to keep his mouth shut.

Vis
05-06-2011, 11:25 AM

If his rants give blow jobs a bad name, he hurts all of us.

steeldawg
05-06-2011, 02:43 PM
just because people disagree with someones opinion does not in any way effect that persons right to free speech. Mendenhalls right to free speech has never been taken away from him. If you dont want backlash for your views dont post them on public forums i.e. twitter.

7willBheaven
05-06-2011, 03:38 PM
This thing is like the energizer bunny...it keeps going and going and going....

Count Steeler
05-06-2011, 07:06 PM
You know, we all have the right to free speech. How about teaching the kid a lesson on responsible speech? If you are in the public eye and you are not a crack pot Hollywood entertainer, than you have to be careful with the words you choose. I hope Mendy has a mentor in his life that cares enough about him to take him aside now and just teach him a thing or two about humility and responsibility. Leave controversy alone.

43Hitman
05-06-2011, 09:24 PM
This thing is like the energizer bunny...it keeps going and going and going....

lockouts and offseasons tend to make that happen

steelreserve
05-06-2011, 09:43 PM
He has a right to express his opinion ... but so does everyone else, and their opinion is "you dumbass." So the system works.

I don't hear anyone calling for his release or anything, do you? Where are they getting that?

st33lersguy
05-07-2011, 07:39 AM
Champion also has a right to fire Mendenhall when he says these kind of things.

ALLD
05-07-2011, 07:42 AM
Of course he has the right to free speech. However, he should think before he says something stupid.