PDA

View Full Version : Rashard Mendenhall fired by Champion over Osama bin Laden tweets

stillers4me
05-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall is being dropped as an endorser by corporate sponsor Champion over his controversial tweets (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/05/will-hanesbrands-fire-rashard-mendenhall-for-bin-laden-tweets/1)about the death of terror leader Osama bin Laden and his questioning of what really happened during the September 11th terror attacks.

Champion is "ending our business relationship" with Mendenhall since the company doesn't think he "can appropriately represent Champion," spokesman Matt Hall told Game On! Thursday night..........

read more @ http://burgh.us/4ox

stillers4me
05-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Wow. Am I the only one that finds this an extreme overreaction?

steeldevil
05-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Holy crap I thought the thread was going to say "fired by Steelers"

Give me a heart attack why don't you..... :frusty:

But yes, this is an overreaction....

st33lersguy
05-05-2011, 06:42 PM
He deserved it. His remarks were insensitive, foolish, and juvenile. Plus don't forget about his terrible comments about women and comparing the NFL to slavery

GitNoLuv
05-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Sponsors can't really afford to have ignorance representing them...and his comments were smitten with ignorance. He is entitled to his opinion...and he is entitled to speak his mind. That being said, having the right to free speech doesn't mean you should constantly use it.

Psycho Ward 86
05-05-2011, 06:44 PM
He deserved it. His remarks were insensitive, foolish, and juvenile.

The Bin Laden tweets were pretty good food for thought for the people that weren't blinded but by patriotism.

GitNoLuv
05-05-2011, 06:50 PM
The Bin Laden tweets were pretty good food for thought for the people that weren't blinded but by patriotism.

To a certain extent, yes. The tweet concerning the towers falling was ignorance. And the timing (of all things) was probably the worst of it. Let a Hollywood actor/actress make those kinds of stands (because in Hollywood, there is no such thing as bad publicity.)

zulater
05-05-2011, 06:56 PM
He deserved it. He has the right to think and say what he wants, but those that employ him to endorse their products have just as much right to seperate themselves from him if his opinions are offensive to them or their target audience.

stillers4me
05-05-2011, 07:00 PM
People are forgetting that Rashard was a teenager when 9-11 happened and the CEO's at Champion are adults with vivid memories of what happened that day. (like most of us) Then he went on to college which is rampant with leftie professors coupled with the fact that these guys literally live in a football bubble during their collage and early playing years. Not making excuses for him, but just trying to put it all in perspective. I am shocked that so many people even care about a few comments he made on twitter.

Interestingly, many teenagers this week didn't even know who bin Laden was!!

The media has literally erased all the "disturbing' images, the schools are afraid to teach about 9-11 because they need to be sensitive to Islam and parents have sheltered them from reality. (my own parents never let me watch the news when I was a child because of Vietnam). I'm really not surprised that a young adult is uneducated about the whole subject and willing to be skeptical about the facts.

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/fox-friends/index.html#/v/4678862/who-is-bin-laden-teens-clueless/?playlist_id=86912 ?test=faces

zulater
05-05-2011, 07:10 PM
He's not in danger of being cut or fined by the Steelers. He still has a chance to go out and make a great living for himself. But ignorance holds consequence's. Basically if you don't know, either ask and find out, or keep you damn mouth shut. He didn't, he lost a very minor sponsor. Good life lesson for him, he'll get through it and hopefully be better for it.

Galax Steeler
05-05-2011, 07:12 PM
He deserved it. His remarks were insensitive, foolish, and juvenile. Plus don't forget about his terrible comments about women and comparing the NFL to slavery

I have to say everyone has an opinion not saying that I agree with everything he said. You are stating and opinion so why can't he have one.

zulater
05-05-2011, 07:14 PM
I have to say everyone has an opinion not saying that I agree with everything he said. You are stating and opinion so why can't he have one.

He can have one, and so can Champion. So essentially he expressed his opinion, and now they've expressed theirs.

Galax Steeler
05-05-2011, 07:15 PM
He can have one, and so can Champion. So essentially he expressed his opinion, and now they've expressed theirs.

I don't have a problem with Champion cutting him that was there decission all I am saying is he expressed his feeling toward the situation that is all.

Iron Steeler
05-05-2011, 07:24 PM
lesson learned

Bluecoat96
05-05-2011, 07:28 PM

You know what they say....Opinions are like a$$holes. Everyone has one, and they generally stink.

Devilsdancefloor
05-05-2011, 07:29 PM
lesson learned

maybe....

Galax Steeler
05-05-2011, 07:31 PM
You know what they say....Opinions are like a$$holes. Everyone has one, and they generally stink.

Yes I agree, but I am not throwing him out to the dogs over his opinion. I don't agree with what he said but I don't condone him for it either.

st33lersguy
05-05-2011, 07:38 PM

I never said he couldn't have an opinion

Galax Steeler
05-05-2011, 07:41 PM

You said his remarks were insensitive, foolish and juvenile that pretty much says it all.

fansince'76
05-05-2011, 07:55 PM
In the endorsement game, image is everything and Rashard's image has been pretty badly damaged. And as far as people here "expressing their opinions," and Rashard supposedly not being "allowed" to express his is concerned, I don't think anybody on this board is a public figure and is being paid six (or seven) figures to lend their name to a product, either. As I live in an at-will employment state, I could conceivably be shitcanned for saying things that are deemed inflammatory enough on Twitter - I don't think comparing my employer to a slave trader would be looked at too kindly, for one example. There's a reason I personally don't dabble much in the "social media" stuff - this board is as close to that as I get.

Angina
05-05-2011, 08:09 PM
People are forgetting that Rashard was a teenager when 9-11 happened and the CEO's at Champion are adults with vivid memories of what happened that day. (like most of us) Then he went on to college which is rampant with leftie professors coupled with the fact that these guys literally live in a football bubble during their collage and early playing years. Not making excuses for him, but just trying to put it all in perspective. I am shocked that so many people even care about a few comments he made on twitter.

Interestingly, many teenagers this week didn't even know who bin Laden was!!

The media has literally erased all the "disturbing' images, the schools are afraid to teach about 9-11 because they need to be sensitive to Islam and parents have sheltered them from reality. (my own parents never let me watch the news when I was a child because of Vietnam). I'm really not surprised that a young adult is uneducated about the whole subject and willing to be skeptical about the facts.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. My son was almost 5 on 9/11. He's 14 now and knows full well who bin laden was and what he did. As I think a lot of young people do today. They did talk about it at his school, in a context the students could understand for their various grade levels. How could they not? Kids aren't stupid and they don't miss much. This country instantly underwent a sea change in tension, security, fear, pride and courage. The disturbing images are not gone.

My husband and I have monitored what our son has been exposed to, to make sure it was appropriate to his age and maturity, but we haven't shielded him from the world either. Knowledge is power.

tube517
05-05-2011, 08:19 PM
He already posted his "clarification"/apology and I think he knows what he said caused a commotion. The one tweet I didn't like was that he said that we never heard Bin Laden speak. His other opinions didn't bother me. He's 23 and will learn as he gets older, when to say an opinion and when to shut up. I personally like Twitter and hope he uses it to communicate more, not less. But, with fame, comes a price. Champion has every right to drop him, should they deem necessary.

SteelerEmpire
05-05-2011, 08:23 PM
I didn't even know Champion was still in business...? Time for a little career damage control...

86WARD
05-05-2011, 08:25 PM
lol...that'll learn him. Idiot.

steeldawg
05-05-2011, 08:26 PM

he can but his opinion cost him a sponsor. just because you have the right to free speech doesnt mean you dont have to deal with the consequences of your statements

smokin3000gt
05-05-2011, 08:27 PM
Over reaction or not he learned that stupid comments have consequences. I'm glad he got a slap for his comments before he says something really stupid.

GBMelBlount
05-05-2011, 08:28 PM

EXACTLY what I was going to post.

Simply stated and dead on Zu.

86WARD
05-05-2011, 08:35 PM

He's defintiely entitled to his opinion, but a person in his position really has to think before hitting the "Enter" button. Some things are best left to himself...

steelreserve
05-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Probably a good move; I don't think he was going to help them sell many shirts anymore.

oneforthetoe
05-06-2011, 02:03 AM
Probably a good move; I don't think he was going to help them sell many shirts anymore.

Unless it's this one.

http://rlv.zcache.com/im_with_stupid_up_arrow_dark_version_tshirt-p235432203019176618q6ws_400.jpg

Galax Steeler
05-06-2011, 03:37 AM
he can but his opinion cost him a sponsor. just because you have the right to free speech doesnt mean you dont have to deal with the consequences of your statements

I agree but I didn't say what he said was smart.

Galax Steeler
05-06-2011, 03:38 AM
He's defintiely entitled to his opinion, but a person in his position really has to think before hitting the "Enter" button. Some things are best left to himself...

Agreed

HometownGal
05-06-2011, 07:07 AM
He deserved it. He has the right to think and say what he wants, but those that employ him to endorse their products have just as much right to seperate themselves from him if his opinions are offensive to them or their target audience.

I agree 100%. :applaudit:

SteelerSal
05-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Champion's statement on Mendenhall

May, 6, 2011 By James Walker

The AFC North blog got in contact Friday with Champion, which had a business partnership with Pittsburgh Steelers tailback Rashard Mendenhall since his rookie year in 2008.

Champion confirmed USA Today's report that Mendenhall has lost his endorsement deal with the company.

Here was Champion's full statement:

"Champion is a strong supporter of the government’s efforts to fight terrorism and is very appreciative of the dedication and commitment of the U.S. Armed Forces. Earlier this week, Rashard Mendenhall, who endorses Champion products, expressed personal comments and opinions regarding Osama bin Laden and the September 11 terrorist attacks that were inconsistent with the values of the Champion brand and with which we strongly disagreed. In light of these comments, Champion was obliged to conduct a business assessment to determine whether Mr. Mendenhall could continue to effectively communicate on behalf of and represent Champion with consumers.

"While we respect Mr. Mendenhall’s right to express sincere thoughts regarding potentially controversial topics, read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/27435/champions-statement-on-mendenhall

Vis
05-06-2011, 11:36 AM
"We hired him to help us sell. He probably won't help now"

X-Terminator
05-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Sucks to be him. I hope he's realized that there are consequences to your actions as well as your words. Maybe next time he'll think before he hits that "Send" button on his Twitter account.

stillers4me
05-06-2011, 12:38 PM
They were talking about this on Sirius a little bit ago on my way home from work. They were saying that, although Mendenhall is a great player, but not a particularly well known one, that Champion did a marketing stroke of genius by firing him. They are getting way more advertising and attention than they could ever get by paying a him to endorse their products.

Kaeg
05-06-2011, 06:02 PM
He's not in danger of being cut or fined by the Steelers. He still has a chance to go out and make a great living for himself. But ignorance holds consequence's. Basically if you don't know, either ask and find out, or keep you damn mouth shut. He didn't, he lost a very minor sponsor. Good life lesson for him, he'll get through it and hopefully be better for it.

^^^^
Perfectly put

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-07-2011, 08:25 AM
Maybe he can find a Beef Jerky company to be a spokesperson for and help make up some lost $$ ??

SteelerFanInStl
05-07-2011, 09:47 AM
He needs to learn how to keep quiet.