PDA

View Full Version : Browns Draft Thoughts (because you guys totally miss me!)

GitNoLuv
05-04-2011, 03:27 PM
1 - Phil Taylor Love the trade back with Atlanta. Didn't care for the trade up to get this guy. I do like the pick. Putting him next to Rubin gives us a DT that reminds me of the better Vikings lines in the past few years. Pat and Kevin Williams paired up next to each other made other teams running games miserable...and I can see that happening here. This should make it easier on our linebackers and DE's to get pressure on the quarterback...because it'll be hard to single block either one of these bruisers.

2a - Jabaal Sheard - I really like this pick. Bowers may have been a sexier pick in the eyes of draftniks...but I think this kid will be pretty good. I've watched him play a few times (the Mountaineers are my 2nd favorite team in NCAA) and he got better each year. Very disruptive. I see him lining up over the RT and mixing/matching his moves between swim/rip, bullrush and the occasional speed rush.

2b - Greg Little - OK...this was a guy I was not the least bit sold on. I don't see how drafting a guy who played 2 years of college HB, 1 year at WR and 1 year off is going to help Colt McCoy. I would rather have seen the Browns get a RT/RG. Or, they could have gone with a few other WR's...particularly one that has more speed. This guy has some potential as a West Coast WR...but really...seems more like a late 3rd (at the earliest) prospect than a 2nd round guy.

4a - Cameron Jordan...errr....Jordan Cameron - Alright...so the stupid phone call wasn't the first issue here. Why are we drafting a TE here? A pass catching TE with limited experience. I get it...he can dunk a basketball and has Blake Griffin's support (there's a video...I'm not linking it.) But, we have Benjamin Watson and Evan Moore. If you are getting another TE on the roster...why not get a run-blocking TE. Why take a TE that is smaller than the WR you took in the 2nd round? Again, RG/RT would have been a better pick. Heck, DE/LB/S/CB were all better options here. Even if Cameron Cameron/Jordan Jordan (or whatever his name is) is the best player on the board...is he really that much better than the guy sitting below him?

4b - Owen Marecic - FB - Goodbye Lawrence Vickers. I like that this kid is very bright and certainly shouldn't have any issues with stamina/taking plays off. That being said, Vickers was one of the best FB in the league. Now he's likely gone. If they had drafted this kid to play LB...I'd be ok with the pick. I think that he might actually be serviceable (and maybe more than serviceable) as a FB. But I don't know that he'll be better than Vickers...who loved to blow up LBs. Could be good if he develops right...but seems like a wasted pick to me.

5a - Buster Skrine - CB - OK...like the name a little bit and like that he's a smaller school guy. Those guys tend to play with a chip on their shoulder. While undersized, he appears to have the speed to keep up with a lot of the slot WR's that we will likely face this year. Had the best 3-cone and 20 yard shuffle times at the combine. If developed properly...may turn into a solid pairing with Haden...which could prompt a move for Sheldon Brown to FS (a position that needs an upgrade.)

5b - Jason Pinkston - OT - Roster fodder? Practice Squad? Don't know much about him...but haven't been able to find much worth mentioning either.

7 - Eric Hagg - S - This guy has special teamer (at best) written all over him. He's built more like a pseudo S/LB...

Aussie_steeler
05-04-2011, 03:55 PM
I thought for sure that both AJ Green and Julio Jones would be coming to the AFC North.

Round 1. I breathed a sigh of relief when Cleveland traded down. Although it will allow for more talent to be infused into the squad over two years I think that Julio Jones would have bought more to the team than a PHIL TAYLOR. Taylor scares me in the sense that he will always be an injury or surgery waiting to happen.

Round 2. Sheard and Little will make the squad better. Little has the potential to be a #1 WR but he doesnt scare me like JONES

Jordan and Marecic will find a role on the roster. Skrine and Pinkston will need developing. Dont know much about Hagg.

This can become a better draft by using the 2012 picks wisely.

If they sat and waited they could have gone:
#1 Julio Jones WR
#2 Daquan Bowers WR (Edit - DE)
#3 Jurrell Casey WR (Edit - DT)

That could have been much scarier to play against.

GitNoLuv
05-04-2011, 04:21 PM
I think that Jones reminds me too much of Braylon Edwards. He had drop problems in College...that doesn't improve when you get to the NFL.
Bowers was passed over by every team at least once. (He's not a WR btw...but a DE). I worry about a guy who's job is to rush the passer...and has knee issues being taken so high.
I think that if we had taken Julio Jones in the 1st...getting a CB/DT/RT/RG would have been of much more importance than getting another WR.

7willBheaven
05-04-2011, 07:43 PM
I'll make a couple quick comments on this....good move on the trade down. Dumb move to trade up for Taylor...he would have been there at 27. Pinkston can be a solid OG or OT...probably on the right side (I think his size is more that of an OG not OT). He may not start from day one...but the guy was rated as high as a 3rd rounder...I like the pick as far as the round and player.

Aussie_steeler
05-05-2011, 03:18 AM
I think that Jones reminds me too much of Braylon Edwards. He had drop problems in College...that doesn't improve when you get to the NFL.
Bowers was passed over by every team at least once. (He's not a WR btw...but a DE). I worry about a guy who's job is to rush the passer...and has knee issues being taken so high.
I think that if we had taken Julio Jones in the 1st...getting a CB/DT/RT/RG would have been of much more importance than getting another WR.

Sorry for the massive TYPO - I want to acknowledge my mistake before editing it. ( taking some good painkillers to deal with 4 wisdom teeth that need to be removed.......no excuse but maybe a reason for the stupidity)

I think Phil Taylor is the equivalent risk to Daquan Bowers. The difference is that you could have had your risk in the 2nd and not the 1st. I see Julio Jones as a surefire pick. His combine workout with a serious injury spoke volumes of his capacity. I am guessing that is exactly why Atlanta loaded up and pulled the trigger on that deal. They believe that he alone will be the player that elevates their team to world champion status.

I would have given Colt McCoy 2 serious weapons to throw to ( WR and TE) and as well as loading up for the change to a 4-3 alignment.

Once again........ sorry for the stupid typos

GitNoLuv
05-05-2011, 05:04 AM
I'll make a couple quick comments on this....good move on the trade down. Dumb move to trade up for Taylor...he would have been there at 27. Pinkston can be a solid OG or OT...probably on the right side (I think his size is more that of an OG not OT). He may not start from day one...but the guy was rated as high as a 3rd rounder...I like the pick as far as the round and player.I hope you're right..and agree with you about Taylor. The only concern (IMO) about nabbing Taylor (from a Browns perspective) was that Baltimore may have been eying him...at least that's the fear. There were also rumors about KC wanting him.

Sorry for the massive TYPO - I want to acknowledge my mistake before editing it. ( taking some good painkillers to deal with 4 wisdom teeth that need to be removed.......no excuse but maybe a reason for the stupidity)

I think Phil Taylor is the equivalent risk to Daquan Bowers. The difference is that you could have had your risk in the 2nd and not the 1st. I see Julio Jones as a surefire pick. His combine workout with a serious injury spoke volumes of his capacity. I am guessing that is exactly why Atlanta loaded up and pulled the trigger on that deal. They believe that he alone will be the player that elevates their team to world champion status.

I would have given Colt McCoy 2 serious weapons to throw to ( WR and TE) and as well as loading up for the change to a 4-3 alignment.

Once again........ sorry for the stupid typos
Not sure why you would say Taylor is an injury risk...but Jones was not. If you can't stay healthy at the collegiate level, it's unlikely that you'll be able to stay healthy at the professional level. Taylor (who has kept his weight down since being booted from Penn State) doesn't have a huge track record of injuries. Bowers just came off of major knee surgery (and scared every NFL team at least once). Jones injury history is well documented. He'll play through the minor ones...but those injuries are a lot harder to play through when you're taking NFL hits.

I'd rather risk an injury washout at the 21st pick...than at the 6th pick. As far as getting McCoy two options to throw to...he threw to Ben Watson a LOT last year...and Evan Moore was catching on pretty quickly before a sports hernia sidelined him for the rest of the season.

suitanim
05-05-2011, 11:10 AM
The kid from NC is a thug. I'm not sold on Taylor, either...I can see either or both of them coked out and shooting up nudie bars in Cleveland soon.

I like the 2nd rd kid out of Pittsburgh and he reminds me a bit of Jason Taylor. The TE from USC is raw, but I can see them hoping he turns into another Antonio Gates, but, like I said, he's very raw. Owen Marecic may "bring some balance to the force" because there's an awful lot of dark side here. What a great story and a great kid. Hopefully he doesn't crash and burn on the cursed franchise...

GitNoLuv
05-05-2011, 12:10 PM
I don't view Taylor near as much a character risk as I do Little. Taylor had the issue very early and nothing in the last 2 years. Word on the street is that Little has Diva tendancies (last thing we need right now.). Wish more WRs would emulate Hines Ward. Quiet, hard working, dedicated smash mouth player. The way football's founding fathers intended the game to be.

suitanim
05-05-2011, 01:44 PM
My only problem is that you give young dudes with a history what amounts to a huge pile of cash and there's a real risk they'll go crazy...

I still think Taylor is a 3-4 NT. It doesn't seem like there'd be a huge difference, but rushing the passer is a responsibility of a 4-3 DT, whereas the NT is much more about occupying blockers. We will see...

GitNoLuv
05-05-2011, 02:12 PM
If our DE's are good enough at rushing the passer...the DTs won't need to. They should have the strength to collapse the middle of the pocket. We aren't ready to compete for the playoffs this year unless all of our Rookies pan out fast...and the players of the last two years step it up. Massive longshot even with a much easier schedule that we have this year.

Neither of the Williams duo was a particularly excellent pass rusher...but they were key to a successful Vikings defense for many years.

7willBheaven
05-05-2011, 02:58 PM
I hope you're right..and agree with you about Taylor. The only concern (IMO) about nabbing Taylor (from a Browns perspective) was that Baltimore may have been eying him...at least that's the fear. There were also rumors about KC wanting him.

Not sure why you would say Taylor is an injury risk...but Jones was not. If you can't stay healthy at the collegiate level, it's unlikely that you'll be able to stay healthy at the professional level. Taylor (who has kept his weight down since being booted from Penn State) doesn't have a huge track record of injuries. Bowers just came off of major knee surgery (and scared every NFL team at least once). Jones injury history is well documented. He'll play through the minor ones...but those injuries are a lot harder to play through when you're taking NFL hits.

I'd rather risk an injury washout at the 21st pick...than at the 6th pick. As far as getting McCoy two options to throw to...he threw to Ben Watson a LOT last year...and Evan Moore was catching on pretty quickly before a sports hernia sidelined him for the rest of the season.

The Ravens wouldnt have even considered him...they got big Mount Cody last year as their future NT. They needed CB/WR help the most (obvious by their first 2 picks)

GitNoLuv
05-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Ravens play a hybrid 3-4/4-3. If you want Ray Lewis to make a bunch of plays, you place massive DT's in front of him. Imagine (as an offensive line) seeing (from the QB's perspective) from left to right, the following:

Terrell Suggs - Mount Cody - Phil Taylor - Haloti Ngata

Name the O-line that can handle that...that's a lot of beef up front...and since teams will be hard pressed to consistently single block any of these guys...that frees up Ray-Stabbit to continue to "make plays".