PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Roster: Unknown/Young Players...your thoughts?

7willBheaven
05-04-2011, 12:37 AM
I've been bored lately with not much going on...and I was looking over the Steelers roster the other day and there are some names I have no clue about...and others I know who they are but thats about it. So I figured I'd make a topic about it and list some of these guys and get everyones opinions on them (and maybe give my own). Do any have a chance to make the team? Thoughts on each player? And so on.

Kyle Jolly OT
Dorian Brooks OG
Nevin McCaskill OG
Eugene Bright TE
Jamie McCoy TE
Tyler Grisham WR
Wes Lyons WR
James Johnson RB
Baraka Atkins LB
Chris Ellis LB
Mortty Ivy LB
Chris McCoy LB
Donovan Warren CB
Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith S
Tuff Harris S
Swayze Waters K

Heres the handful that either stick out to me, that I like, or whatever.

Kyle Jolly OT - I remember some saying he could be a future RT or at least a decent backup...I havent seen enough of him to know, though ti seems he was a solid LT in college

Dorian Brooks OG - Only reason he is here is that he got the call up to the main roster for the SB

Eugene Bright TE - Is this guy any good? could he become a decent TE?

Donovan Warren CB - Was once hyped as a 1st rounder then fell to being a UDFA...talking about falling, wow. Could he come in and wow everyone? He seemed to have the talent in college...but what happened to him I dont know? I think he'd at least make it to the PS.

Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith S - Liked what I saw outta this kid in the limited role he has last preseason. Not sure if he's a future starter but could he be a solid backup?

Tyler Grisham WR - Out of the bunch I think I like this guy the most (with Cro-Smith being 2nd i think). I think he's been off and on the roster before, though I'm not sure when or how many times. But I think he has some potential to be a solid WR...in the mold of a poor mans Wes Welker (I know I hate comparisons like this too, but its the best i can do). Does he have a shot at making the roster this year? I think he might. As Ward, Wallace, Sanders and Brown are all locks. Last year they carried 6 (the other 2 being El and Battle)...and Sweed could easily be in the battle too (as long as his injury has healed). I'd really like to see Sweed make the team again and I could see the last spot coming down to Battle and Grisham (El could just flat out be cut...though his vet presence helped last year when Ward was out some...then again they could just cut Battle, who knows). Should be interesting, but I definitely like him and would like to see him get a lot of chances during the preseason.

The rest I either dont know much about or may not have an opinion on. Most will probably be camp cuts. One thing I'd really like some thoughts on are these handful of LBs they signed i think 3 of them are of the Woodley mold...and the other seems more like an ILB mold. Do any have a chance at all? Especially with drafting Carter (who I feel wouldnt last on the PS)...I just dont see any of them making it and I'm not sure what kind of PS eligibility any of them have.

Looking forward to hearing some of your opinions/etc on these guys.

Chidi29
05-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Jolly was a fan of a couple of draftniks from another board. Did have a lot of starting experience, starting almost 40 games at North Carolina.

Talked to him briefly at training camp last year and he sais he was getting worked out at right tackle. Offensive line is pretty crowded though and it'll be tough to get playing time. Quite the logjam going on.

Brooks can play FB a la Legursky. Thought he was going to be active in the Super Bowl last year but it didn't happen. Was a popular small school sleeper out of James Madison so there's some potential. But like Jolly, it'll be tough to get enough playing time to have a shot at making the roster.

Bright has switched between TE and DE, where he played at Purdue. Nothing more than a versatile body on the scout team.

You're dead on about Warren. Fell off the table. Never watched him play but I'm guessing he isn't going to stick.

I liked Cromartie, too. Maybe he beats out Will Allen?

I cringe everytime I see the comparison of Grisham to Welker. They're skillset isn't the same. Unless being white is a skill.

He was active for two games I think and saw playing time against Baltimore. Had a 14 yard catch against Baltimore and dropped a pass when he felt Ray Lewis bearing down on him.

Lyons is that 6'8 kid out of WVU. Might be tried at TE but needs to hit the weight room if he wants to do that. Lanky. We always have a tall WR in camp and they never make it out. Micah Rucker and Matt Trannon are examples.

Isn't James Johnson from Oregon? Was with the Texans last year? I remember him being produtive in college but turning in a really bad 40 time.

Ellis is out of Hampton. Former Bill who we got halfway through the year last season.

Tuff Harris was brought over two years ago right before we played his former team the Titans. Was on the practices squad his first year. Broke his arm in Latrobe last season and wound up on IR.

SteelerSal
05-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Chidi..you kick ass with your breakdowns...always enjoy reading your posts. :thumbsup:

tube517
05-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Unless being white is a skill.

Chidi, with all of his great and serious analysis, can still pull out a quiet zinger.

:rofl2:

SteelerSal
05-05-2011, 06:32 AM
Unless being white is a skill.

Chidi, with all of his great and serious analysis, can still pull out a quiet zinger.

:rofl2:

:lol: I laughed when I read that also...yeah it's hilarious when you hear all the comparisons with all these other short, quick, white recievers to Welker.

TMC
05-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Warren rode some hype from being a good college player but he lacks any true athleticism. He ran a 4.62 at the combine and backed it up with a 4.62 at his pro day. Even worse, his shuttle was below most linebackers which means he is not going to be able to help in the slot, would have to be an outside edge guy only and really does not have good long speed to handle that position. Some think he can potentially move to safety. I doubt it. I mean, he is a marginal pro player with his athleticism. Only guys with great instincts can make that happen and he does not show those great instincts.

Jolly is another marginal athlete. The hope with a guy like Jolly is he can add some power and slide to the right side. He is 6060-315 and does not have great feet, but he could survive at RT if he can get some aggression and play with good pad level and power. I would not sell the house to bet on him being around though.

Dorian Brooks is actually the type of guy you want to add after the draft (or in the off season). He is a small school guy that appears to have some athleticism and strength. The big issue is if he can make the jump to the next level. He is a little short, but can move and has some power. I think he is a guy looking for a good off season. A year in a system can help some guys.

Nevin McCaskill has bounced around on a lot of teams as a practice squad guy. I think he has peaked.

Bright is a tight end coming from a school that throws the football. He cannot run well and struggles to catch the ball. Great, just what we need. Next we will sign linemen that cannot block...oh crap......

Jamie McCoy is listed as a TE, but he is a FB/TE hybrid. He is 6021-240 pounds and can run. He is in the mold of DJ Williams or Lance Kendricks, just not as good a football player but maybe a better athlete. I think he is better as a FB than an inline end. He should surprise in camp. If I were Johnson, my butt would be puckered.

Tyler Grisham.....fan favorite....must have photos of someone in the front office. How does this guy keep hanging around? I wish he was a Wes Welker clone. Then, we would either have a great slot WR or the Pats would have a slow white guy that cannot play. Either way would be fine.

I do not know what to make of Wes Lyons yet. He is tall. He can run. He is a surprising athlete. Just have to see how he fits. It would be great if he got up to 255 and could block.

James Johnson was a Bengal, then a Viking, then a Bengal, then a Packer I think. I do not hold high hopes. All of those teams could use depth at RB and he failed to stick.

The 4 linebackers were brought in because we have 4 ILBs locked in and 3 OLBs locked in. Then, they drafted Chris Carter. That is 8 sets of shoulder pads that someone has to carry. So, they inked 4 LBs. It is a numbers thing. If they had 4 arms each, they would have only signed 2.

Cromartie-Smith has the same issues as Donovan Warren. He lacks the athleticism to stick on the roster.

Harris is a monster athlete but does not seem to be able to get on the field. You have to think he lacks instincts or gray matter.

Swayze Waters is a kicker. I really cannot add anything to that.

SteelerSal
05-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Warren rode some hype from being a good college player but he lacks any true athleticism. He ran a 4.62 at the combine and backed it up with a 4.62 at his pro day. Even worse, his shuttle was below most linebackers which means he is not going to be able to help in the slot, would have to be an outside edge guy only and really does not have good long speed to handle that position. Some think he can potentially move to safety. I doubt it. I mean, he is a marginal pro player with his athleticism. Only guys with great instincts can make that happen and he does not show those great instincts.

Jolly is another marginal athlete. The hope with a guy like Jolly is he can add some power and slide to the right side. He is 6060-315 and does not have great feet, but he could survive at RT if he can get some aggression and play with good pad level and power. I would not sell the house to bet on him being around though.

Dorian Brooks is actually the type of guy you want to add after the draft (or in the off season). He is a small school guy that appears to have some athleticism and strength. The big issue is if he can make the jump to the next level. He is a little short, but can move and has some power. I think he is a guy looking for a good off season. A year in a system can help some guys.

Nevin McCaskill has bounced around on a lot of teams as a practice squad guy. I think he has peaked.

Bright is a tight end coming from a school that throws the football. He cannot run well and struggles to catch the ball. Great, just what we need. Next we will sign linemen that cannot block...oh crap......

Jamie McCoy is listed as a TE, but he is a FB/TE hybrid. He is 6021-240 pounds and can run. He is in the mold of DJ Williams or Lance Kendricks, just not as good a football player but maybe a better athlete. I think he is better as a FB than an inline end. He should surprise in camp. If I were Johnson, my butt would be puckered.

Tyler Grisham.....fan favorite....must have photos of someone in the front office. How does this guy keep hanging around? I wish he was a Wes Welker clone. Then, we would either have a great slot WR or the Pats would have a slow white guy that cannot play. Either way would be fine.

I do not know what to make of Wes Lyons yet. He is tall. He can run. He is a surprising athlete. Just have to see how he fits. It would be great if he got up to 255 and could block.

James Johnson was a Bengal, then a Viking, then a Bengal, then a Packer I think. I do not hold high hopes. All of those teams could use depth at RB and he failed to stick.

The 4 linebackers were brought in because we have 4 ILBs locked in and 3 OLBs locked in. Then, they drafted Chris Carter. That is 8 sets of shoulder pads that someone has to carry. So, they inked 4 LBs. It is a numbers thing. If they had 4 arms each, they would have only signed 2.

Cromartie-Smith has the same issues as Donovan Warren. He lacks the athleticism to stick on the roster.

Harris is a monster athlete but does not seem to be able to get on the field. You have to think he lacks instincts or gray matter.

Swayze Waters is a kicker. I really cannot add anything to that.

Thanks for your analysis, TMC. :thumbsup:

Psycho Ward 86
05-05-2011, 06:46 PM
what happened to Donovan Warren that made his stock drop?

Chidi29
05-05-2011, 09:51 PM
what happened to Donovan Warren that made his stock drop?

Poor 40 time and came out his junior year when he should've stayed.

TMC
05-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Not only did he have a poor 40, all his workout numbers were blah. His 40 was a 4.62. His shuttle was a 4.36 (both corners the Steelers just drafted were sub 4.01s). He had a 31" vertical compared to our new rookies (35.5" and 39.5").

He is just a very average athlete. While I do not pump guys up because of their workout numbers, I certainly will disqualify guys that play positions where they need to be excellent athletes and corner is one of them.

Aussie_steeler
05-06-2011, 04:51 AM
Donovan Warren received a 3rd round grade from the NFL advisory board. This grade was good enough for him to make the jump in his junior year.

Kiper and McShay had him primed to go in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Coming into the combine he aggravated an ankle injury and was advised not to participate in the combine. Foolishly he chose to participate on a damaged wheel.

As a result he recorded less than stellar numbers and really hurt his stock.

The jets picked him up due to a family connection on the staff --Mark Carrier. Trying to break into the Jets secondary last year would have been for first round draft pick Kyle Wilson let alone a UDFA.

If Warren is fully fit and ready to go I give him a chance to land on the practice squad as a CB / FS combo.

This guy ran track in high school and was a very good collegiate player at Michigan. Given a chance I think he could realise the potential that many saw a few years ago.