PDA

View Full Version : Draft Thoughts

Chidi29
05-03-2011, 10:03 PM
My thoughts on how we did in the draft.

Cameron Heyward - DE/Ohio St

Liked the pick and coming into the draft, he was the guy I had really warmed up to the thought of taking if he would have fallen. I'm not a fan of taking defensive ends early but the value was right so I can't complain. Here's my scouting report on Heyward I made prior to the draft so there's no bias involved now that he's our guy.

The Good
- Excellent size
- Fantastic upper body strength
- Stout at the point of attack
- Good bull rush
- Able to shed blocks
- Asset against the run
- Clutch
- Good motor and hustle
- Experience stunting
- Good amount of starting experience
- Solid bloodlines
The Bad
- Not a strong pass rusher
- Doesn't offer much of a repitore
- Position limited
- Injury concerns
Other
- Becaome starter as a true freshmen
- Mainly played at RE, sometimes kicked inside
- Had a sack late against Iowa to seal the win
- Father "Ironhead" was a running back in the NFL
- Recovering from Tommy John surgery
Final Word
A prototypical five technique prospect. Is solid albeit not spectacular.
Games Watched
at Wisconsin, at Iowa

To add onto a few points I made above.

The injury that resulted in the Tommy John happened during the Sugar Bowl. He played through it and played effectively. Completely abused Demarcus Love, who was drafted in the mid-rounds. The kid is tough and obviously, talented.

Thinking back, I think he's a little better of a pass rusher than I came off in the report. I don't want to raise expectations too much but I really see Richard Seymour in the kid. Meaning, he's solid versus the run but will offer more as a pass rusher than your typical five technique.

He seems like a high character person who is truly happy to be playing for us. I'm excited about the pick.

Marcus Gilbert - OT/Florida

Really didn't like this pick. I knew little about Gilbert coming into the draft except for the fact there were some Steelers' draftniks who were high on him. I don't see it.

His body type is the exact opposite of what you'd expect. He's huge, 6'6 330, but plays with good bend and doesn't double over like a lot of tall tackles do when trying to get leverage. He moves decent enough laterally and can push the end upfield. All of that is good to see.

But he looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane. He isn't nasty, doesn't finish his blocks, can't stick and drive on contact, is always on the ground, and lunges in the run game. He's passive; maybe that's his personality but hey, Big Daddy Lipscomb would make you apart of the field and then ask if you were ok. I want my trench guys to be nasty; to have that fire that you need when you're going to be facing a player like Haloti Ngata or Rubin in Cleveland.

Not sure where Gilbert will play either. He played everything but center in college so he does have versatility. Right guard is an obvious need but I don't know how thrilled I'd be with that since that is a power position. The suggestion of him possily playing left tackle down the road is interesting because it's an "athletic" spot but I really don't think you can hide a passive offensive lineman who isn't a strong run blocker.

I think Gilbert will be a bust.

Curtis Brown - CB/Texas

Back to the picks I like. Was a fan of Brown coming into the draft based on what I read and had him mocked to us in the second. Obviously fell a round later. And after watching him, the scouting reports were dead on.

He is the prototypical Steelers corner. A quick twitch player with great reaction time. He can transition quickly with his quick feet which is huge for our zone heavy scheme. If you're playing off and see a slant, you have to close on that. If you're in Cover 3 or quarters and they throw the quick screen, the hitch, or the deep comeback, you have to get out of your backpedal, plant with your back foot, and drive to the ball. Can't allow YAC otherwise it's pointless to be playing off. He can do that and has good closing speed.

He's not a big guy but plays big. He'll throw his weight around. Actively plays the run, gets his nose involved whenever he can. A solid tackler in his own right too, another crucial part if you want to play cornerback for us.

Looks pretty good in coverage too. He stays low in his backpedal. Might pop up a little bit when flipping his hips but it's a minor flaw that can be tought by Carnell Lake. In the two games I watched when he went against Jeff Fuller and Justin Blackmon, two of the better WRs he'll see, he allowed just two or three catches. None to Fuller either, all were against Blackmon who lit up other Longhorns like Aaron Williams.

Couple of flaws I saw: Not going to be physical at the line because of on overall lack of bulk, doesn't have elite straight-line speed, and his ballskills aren't great. Just two career interceptions. It's not like we ask our CBs to be ballhawks so I'm not concerned.

Also has special teams value. I saw him as a jammer and I think I heard Lake say he had 57 career tackles on special teams. Big plus and helps you get a helmet that much quicker.

Lake commented that he could be a nickelback which says a lot about how well we think he can handle LeBeau's offense. He has experience playing every corner spot. Played left corner in the two games I watched him.

As an aside, what concerns me were Lake's comments about Ike. He didn't sound very confident that we'll re-sign him. He once said, "If we somehow sign Ike..." Maybe that's a poor choice of words but then again, positional coaches aren't as well-versed in coachspeak as Tomlin.

Cortez Allen - CB/Citadel

Can't say I know a lot about him. Couldn't find any games of him on espn3. I saw him at the Combine. Long-legged guy with a good build. Goes 6'1 197. He sounds like a project but worth taking a flier on. Didn't have as much time to focus on football because of school and military obligations so he's probably lacking in technique and will need quite a bit of coaching.

But according to Lake, he held up well in the East/West Shrine Game practices and I've heard some comparisons to Ike Taylor from fans. I read a stat that said he only allowed one third of passes to be completed last year.

Chris Carter - OLB/Fresno St

Just finished watching him. I can see why he fell to the fifth. There's usually good reason why a player falls and 31 other teams pass on him multiple times. Maybe I'm just not watching the right film, but I didn't see much.

I do know he was very productive. That bodes well for him and you can't overlook a guy who simply put up the numbers. He was the WAC defensive player of the year with 16.5 TFL and 11 sacks. And he did have eye-popping numbers at the Combine. Very strong in the shuttle and an impressive vertical.

In terms of the positives of his game, he does have a good to great first step. Can be explosive off the edge and beat the tackle. He gets his arms extended when rushing. Has a solid bull rush and can drive the tackle into the quarterback. His first step definitely helps his bull rush as he's able to get the OT off balanced and drive him back. Also has experience in stunts. Has looped inside.

And now the bad.

He's undersized at 6'1 250. Not much bulk to him. He's cut but isn't physically imposing by any means.

This guy is terrible against the run. He gets swallowed up, can't shed blocks, washed out of plays, and teams try to run at him. He even got blown up by Ryan Winterswyk, a defensive end playing FB in a power package, in one instance.

He doesn't have much of a repitore in pass rushing. Doesn't use his hands well and I'm really only seeing a speed move. Doesn't really dip his shoulder off the edge. A small target like him should have no problem getting under and around the tackle if he dips. Make yourself as small a target as possible so that left tackle who is as tall as a power forward can't touch you.

Didn't drop into coverage. Didn't play on special teams and looking at his bio, there's no mention of special teams work. Did get time at LB his sophomore year but is likely raw in coverage.

This is the big problem with the lockout. You lose valuable time trying to teach players like Carter. It is very difficult to draft a conversion player. Keith Butler said it takes a few years to really make the transition from DE to OLB and losing this time only lengthens that time span. Especially when the guy hasn't played on special teams. Where's his value if he can't get in enough time to be up to par to play on the teams unit?

I see him ticketed for the practice squad. Or at the very least, basically redshirting this year and sitting out every game.

Keith Williams - OG/Nebraska

Can't say I know much about Williams either. Just don't like the idea of taking a late round OL in general. You're throwing darts at the board and hoping something sticks. He won't solve our woes at right guard.

Apparently is too aggressive in pass protection and needs coaching. Practice squad material. Chances of contributing are really hurt since we only have seven active lineman on gameday.

Baron Batch - RB/Texas Tech

He's got a much better chance to stick than Noah Herron or Cedric Humes. Decent build at 5'9 200. Isn't a stick. Has that third down mold. Lots of experience blocking and catching in Tech's passing offense though they were more balanced this year.

More quick than fast but that's ok.

Perhaps the best quality he has is character. You're not going to find a better guy than him. Very religious and his faith got him through a very rough childhood in which his dad left him and his mom was disease-ridden and couldn't provide for his family. He ended up living with a teammate in high school so he could get to practice and play football. Very sad story.

Tore his Achilles in 2006. Became infected and doctors said he'd never play again. He sat out the 2007 season and came back in '08.

Been through a lot and overcame it. Kid you root for and because of his pass blocking, he'll give Dwyer a run for his money.

--------------

Overall, I like the draft. Aside from Gilbert, I'm happy.

Aussie_steeler
05-04-2011, 05:22 AM
My take is:

1. Cameron Heyward - great pick. DE for the next 10-12 years. Could have lived with Ras I Dowling or Derek Sherrod.

2. Marcus Gilbert - OT. The coaches have 2 years of scouting on him and inside info from Maurkice. Will be the backup swingman who can possibly cover 4 of the 5 O line positions on game day. Wait and see approach with this pick. Big drop off in OT's beyond this point in draft. Could have traded down 5 -10 spots and still got him.

3. Curtis Brown - CB - love this pick. It speaks for itself. At worst #3 CB in 2013

4. Cortez Allen - CB Project pick based on measurables, character and instincts. I can see a stud free safety down the line ( just a gut feeling)

5. Chris Carter - OLB - straight to the practice squad. he has no chance of making the conversion due to the lockout. Good luck with no minicamps and OTA's

6. Keith Williams - OG - I would have gone Tyler Sash S or possibly Jerrel Powe NT here. I can see the nasty streak and rawness that Kugler would love. He is straight to the practice squad as well

7. Baron Batch - RB - cant believe this guy visited and got out of town without being reported. One sniff of this guy as a prospect and I think we would have been all over him on this board. Great character guy who played every down in a third down style offense. Look out Mewelde and Dwyer, there could be some competition here. I think we all like this pick and may become the John Kuhn (board favourite) of this decade

No thrills draft that inspires confidence. It sends the message that the organisation is comfortable with the majority of the squad. First four to the lineup.

Texasteel
05-04-2011, 05:43 AM
Very nice Chidi. I think you know Hayward and Brown are my to favorites as well and are to players we can put to use, hopefully this year. I also like Batch quite a bit, but I probably saw a bit more of him than most and that may have slanted my opinion. ( You know I sort of get attached to some of these kids.) I didn't think that we would draft him, but I'm not surprised that we did.

I've had questions about Gilbert myself, as did a couple of others here, but started to warm up to him at the last. I don't know if you can coach a mean streak or not but it someone can piss this kid off he could slide inside, a position neither you are I are happy with.

Keith Williams is the pick I'm not happy with, but you know that.

In the end I try to give these kids the benefit of the doubt since the powers that be must have seen something they liked.

I am pretty pleased with the draft as well.

Thanks for all the work that you put into this, and the work you are about to. TC will be a busy time for you,,,,,,,,, I hope.

PS I'm starting my 2012 watch list.

Texasteel
05-04-2011, 05:50 AM
Aussie, as always you show a sharp eye for talent. You are dead right about the 6th round. There were players on the board that may have made this team better. I don't think we got one.

Thank for all your work as well. I've already got a head start on ya little brother.

Chidi29
05-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Very nice Chidi. I think you know Hayward and Brown are my to favorites as well and are to players we can put to use, hopefully this year. I also like Batch quite a bit, but I probably saw a bit more of him than most and that may have slanted my opinion. ( You know I sort of get attached to some of these kids.) I didn't think that we would draft him, but I'm not surprised that we did.

I've had questions about Gilbert myself, as did a couple of others here, but started to warm up to him at the last. I don't know if you can coach a mean streak or not but it someone can piss this kid off he could slide inside, a position neither you are I are happy with.

Keith Williams is the pick I'm not happy with, but you know that.

In the end I try to give these kids the benefit of the doubt since the powers that be must have seen something they liked.

I am pretty pleased with the draft as well.

Thanks for all the work that you put into this, and the work you are about to. TC will be a busy time for you,,,,,,,,, I hope.

PS I'm starting my 2012 watch list.

I think it's very tough not to get attached to a kid like Batch. Seems wiser and more mature than some people twice his age.

Thanks for you work too Tex. You, Aussie, and Perry always make for good conversation.

suitanim
05-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Super Johnny-come-lately here, but here's my 2 cents:
-I like Cam Heyward a lot. I watched him IN EVERY SINGLE GAME HE PLAYED IN (that's right, I have not missed an OSU game in years), and watched him progress every single year. He moves really well for his size, and has the ability to take over games (he was unblockable against Arkansas, and it's not like they didn't see good DE's in the SEC). OSU has taken some hits lately, but this kid is 100% solid in the character department.
- Don't know about this kid from Florida, but we are batting about .750 with Gator OL (hit with Pouncey, mixed results with Starks. I'm hoping all the potential can be coached up.
Brown is a great pick, and I think if we can get this labor dispute settled, he can contribute right away. He seems pretty polished.

Now, here is my dilemma...I think we needed to start looking for the next Casey Hampton, and this is around where Jurell Casey was drafted. I thought he would have fit the bill.

I like Allen as a project...could certainly be the next Ike, BUT he could also be the next Ricardo Colclough. High risk/high reward.

The rest of the picks I don't know about EXCEPT for Batch at #7. He caught like 140 passes at TT. I don't know if he can block, but if he can (and he'll need that skill as a 3rd down back picking up the blitz in passing downs), he's got a shot.

7willBheaven
05-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Super Johnny-come-lately here, but here's my 2 cents:
-I like Cam Heyward a lot. I watched him IN EVERY SINGLE GAME HE PLAYED IN (that's right, I have not missed an OSU game in years), and watched him progress every single year. He moves really well for his size, and has the ability to take over games (he was unblockable against Arkansas, and it's not like they didn't see good DE's in the SEC). OSU has taken some hits lately, but this kid is 100% solid in the character department.
- Don't know about this kid from Florida, but we are batting about .750 with Gator OL (hit with Pouncey, mixed results with Starks. I'm hoping all the potential can be coached up.
Brown is a great pick, and I think if we can get this labor dispute settled, he can contribute right away. He seems pretty polished.

Now, here is my dilemma...I think we needed to start looking for the next Casey Hampton, and this is around where Jurell Casey was drafted. I thought he would have fit the bill.

I like Allen as a project...could certainly be the next Ike, BUT he could also be the next Ricardo Colclough. High risk/high reward.

The rest of the picks I don't know about EXCEPT for Batch at #7. He caught like 140 passes at TT. I don't know if he can block, but if he can (and he'll need that skill as a 3rd down back picking up the blitz in passing downs), he's got a shot.

Jurrell Casey is not a NT...he is a DT in a 4-3...he possibly (very slim chance) could be a DE in a 3-4 as he is like an inch or so shorter than Ziggy.

LLT
05-04-2011, 01:02 PM
My thoughts on the draft.

Cameron Heyward:
Great pick. Perfect example of the Steelers not panicking by reaching for a need pick. They stood pat and took the best player available. The prospect of having Ziggy Hood and Cameron Heyward as our future DE starters is something to be excited about.
Heyward's lack of true pass rushing skills is negated by his move to the 3-4 five technique. He possesses all the necessary strength to stack and shed and he has the exlosive first step and hands to get around edge blocks. Also has a spin move that he uses to get off the block and find the ball carrier. He is assignment savy and has great football intelligence. He is driven to be more than the son of "Ironhead" and wants to make his own mark in the NFL...showing no sense of "entightlement". Great work ethic and character
Heyward has the intincts and closing speed to meet the RB at the hole. Long arms and great wrap up tackling technique. I love how he tackles through the ball carrier instead of just throwing himself at them. He can be neutralized by double teams, which is okay in the 3-4 as it will free up our linebackers.
He will be able to sit behind our starters for a couple more years...by the time he becomes a full time starter, his intelligence and work ethic will ensure us an even more "refined" product then we see right now.

Marcus Gilbert
Gilbert played Right Tackle for the blind-side of Left-handed Tim Tebow before moving to Left Tackle and covering the blind-side of Right-handed John Brantley last season.
Quick feet...and moves well laterally. Great anchor and nasty hand punch. Gilbert is a striker...hits his man hard then sustains the block while keeping his feet moving. Has respectable balance and good length to mirror then steer defenders.
Could be being an above average run blocker and pass blocker.
When Gilbert played against a 3-4 set this year he seemed to have some difficulty reading the linebackers. I saw him whiff on one play when he failed to read the blitz and on another play he blocked... noone.... after the linebacker pushed forward then fell back into coverage. I wouldnt be real concerned about that however. Most college offensive linemen see so little of a "true" 3-4 scheme that it is usually hard for them to pick up stunts and blitzes. I have all the faith in the world that Kugler will coach him up on what to look for. The ability is there...he just needs the experience. I made my bold prediction before...so I will stick with it. At SOME POINT....he will be on the left side.

Curtis Brown
I will take my lumps on this one. I predicted every Texas CB as a possible Steelers pick....except Curtis Brown. When I first watched film on him, I got caught up in his lack of physicallity, apparant lack of functional strength, and his poor tackling technique. Because of all that I put blinders on in regards to his pass defense skills.
After we drafted him I went back with an open mind and could see the nice back pedal his ability to transition out of his pedal while breaking on the ball. The thing that is without guestion, very impressive about Brown is that he showed his ELITE agility and his stop and turn ability at the combine by running a 4.0 shuttle
Since it takes a year or two to learn LeBeau's system anyway...Brown will be able to utilize that time to bulk up and gain the strength necessary to be our #2 CB. I know he played alot of special teams in college...but I have to wonder if his thin frame and poor tackling technique will hold him back from helping us on ST's in the near future.

Cortez Allen
Allen has virtually the same speed as Brown and is also quick footed...He is a bigger however at 6'1 197 lbs. Coach Lake used the word "versatile" three times, after Allen was drafted, when describing the young CB. Which makes me wonder if he isnt going to be, at least tested, as a Safety. He seems a liitle High-hipped and doesnt have the change of direction ability of Curtis Brown... but possesses excellent read-react skills.
All this makes me very suspicious as to where we may see Allen line up in our defense. His skill set and size (and Coach Lakes comments) seem destined for his development as a FS. If not...we need to remember that this young man only played one year of high school football and has a VERY high ceiling due to untapped potential.

Chris Carter
Defensive End prospect who will have to make the transition to OLB. Great measurable at the combine...put up incredible power numbers. He is built virtually identical to our existing OLBs. He is an inch shorter than Woodley and Worilds and about the same wight...and taller and heavier than Harrison, though obviously not as strong. (Although he does appear to have pretty good strength).

Carter has virtually no experience in coverage which certainly hurt his draft stock as a 3-4 OLB, but he has one of the better first steps of any player in this draft. He can get engulged by bigger lineman when playing with one hand on the ground but I noticed that when he starts the play from the standing position, he has a nice spin move and he uses his long arms to disengage from blockers.

I actually like this pick. Most of his negatives are from his "unknown qualities" due to lack of coverage experience and having never played OLB. I think that if he can develop the proper instincts ...we might have a 5th round steal.

Keith Williams
Why?

I should just stop there....Williams has the trivecta: Short arms. Poor technique. Slow off the snap. In his defense..when he gets motivated he does seem possess good athleticism. However, he uses poor hand placement...has virtually no hand punch...and lets defenders get into his body. On a good deal of the video I was watching on him, he seems to lean out too far and lunge for defenders...which is, no doubt, why he seems to be on the ground so much.
Probably overdrafted due to being from Nebraska...where they generally pump out pretty good linemen. IF...he can get a coach who is willing to stick their foot up his considerable butt....and can motivate him to work on technique...he will make the team.
As of now, I am going to say he is the least likely of this years draft picks to do so. I think we would have been better off with Kicker Kai Forbath or DT Ian Williams. If they felt like they neede to go with an OG...I would have preferred Maurice Hurt from Florida.

Baron Batch
I'm such a big softie...i just love this kid. The thing that jumps out at you the most is this Kids Character and demeanor. Extremely humble...extremely mature. Batch said that he was planning his life as if he wasnt drafted, and appreciates the chance.
On the field I think we are going to be surprised. batch runs incredibly tight routes. He has gifted hands and obvious guickness. He seems to sometimes hesitate before hitting the hole and his running style seems to be a bit upright, but he is shifty and shows the ability to make himself small. He has very good potential to make this team as a third down back. He shows a willingness to block...and his recieving skills out of the backfield would be an asset to our RB corp.
Now here is what I really am excited about in regards to Batch....He is quick enough ...runs such good routes...and has such good hands...that I can see us lining him up in the slot reciever spot.
Imagine the variety of plays possible if we can line him up in the backfield but move him up as a reciever during the snap count. We could set up all kinds of mismatches with his versatility. Sstart out with 3 WR and 2 RB in the backfield...then move Batch up to the line. Start out with 4 WR and Batch in the backfield...then move him up to a 5 wide formation. Or do the reverse, and start out with 5 wide and then drop batch into the backfield and leave 4 wide. Gotta love the possibilities!

All in all I think this is going to be a pretty good draft with only one player that I can say probably wont make the roster (Williams)....and one that is a fringe roster possibility (Carter)...the rest I think are pretty good picks.

7willBheaven
05-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Well I did have a nice loooong post typed up...then someone (*coughLLTcough*) accidentally locked the thread and my post got lost. So I have to start over...I'll probably just do a short version of what I had before...when I get back from my errands.

st33lersguy
05-04-2011, 02:37 PM
A few of my thoughts

1. Why didn't Pittsburgh draft a nose tackle. I would think that a team that went to 3 super bowls in 6 years would realize the importance of the nose tackle in the 3-4. Pittsburgh needed to draft someone and groom him behind Casey Hampton before Hampton to retire and the fact that they had 7 picks to do so and didn't is inexcusable.

2. I like the Heyward and Gilbert picks, Heyward is a tough player and a great fit for what is asked out of a 5-tech and I think Gilbert can provide solid depth at tackle and easily beat out John Scott for atleast depth-filler

3. Why did they wait to the 6th round to draft a guard. They needed to draft someone who could upgrade Ramon Foster for the starting guard spot.

4. Can we please stop drafting OLBs we don't need. We have pressing needs and do not need to concern ourselves with adding 4-3 defensive ends that might play in 3 years

5. I am not sure about the Cortez Allen pick. He is a project and this pick was better spent on a guard or nose tackle

Grade C+

GitNoLuv
05-04-2011, 03:03 PM
1. Cameron Heyward - DE - Hated this pick. The guy is a stud. Did not want to see one of my OSU guys going to a division rival...particularly to one that is perfectly suited to his strengths.

2. Marcus Gilbert - OT - I'm fairly comfortable with this pick. He seems more suited to backup OL (something you guys desperately need) but not one who is going to really make things tough for my team.

3. Curtis Brown - CB - Hate this pick too. This is a kid I had hoped the Browns would grab...instead we traded up to get a WR with little experience out of UNC...could have traded down, still grabbed him (and gotten more draft choices.)

4. Cortez Allen - From here on out, it's all about projects anyways...and this guy is one. I don't like that he has the size to match up with bigger WR's in the division...but from a polish standpoint, he's got a ways to go.

5. Chris Carter - OLB - Loved this pick here. You guys are so deep at LB that it's not even funny.

6. Keith Williams - OG - I am not as comfortable with this pick...not that I expect him to have an impact...but I always have to worry about a late round steal fromt he Steelers...and this just feels like one of those moments to me. Forget the game tape. Forget the measurables...I worry that your "hit" will come when/where you most need it...and he seems to strike that moment with me.

7. Baron Batch - RB - It is what it is. A 3rd down back to replace Moore? Possibly. I'm not too comfortable with this pick either because he seems like such a steal to me. Here's a guy who may be a regular in the rotation. I think I'd rather see Moore.

7willBheaven
05-04-2011, 08:09 PM
A few of my thoughts

1. Why didn't Pittsburgh draft a nose tackle. I would think that a team that went to 3 super bowls in 6 years would realize the importance of the nose tackle in the 3-4. Pittsburgh needed to draft someone and groom him behind Casey Hampton before Hampton to retire and the fact that they had 7 picks to do so and didn't is inexcusable.

2. I like the Heyward and Gilbert picks, Heyward is a tough player and a great fit for what is asked out of a 5-tech and I think Gilbert can provide solid depth at tackle and easily beat out John Scott for atleast depth-filler

3. Why did they wait to the 6th round to draft a guard. They needed to draft someone who could upgrade Ramon Foster for the starting guard spot.

4. Can we please stop drafting OLBs we don't need. We have pressing needs and do not need to concern ourselves with adding 4-3 defensive ends that might play in 3 years

5. I am not sure about the Cortez Allen pick. He is a project and this pick was better spent on a guard or nose tackle

Grade C+

My thoughts on your thoughts

1. Because the team didnt do something that some of the fans wanted is inexcusable? They apparently do have a plan for things and to get Casey's replacement over the next year or so...they will be fine.

3. Gilbert can play G or T. Also they drafted C. Scott last year in the 5th that can play G or T. Plus Foster didnt do as bad as you seem to think, as the season went on. And just because the guy they took a guy in the 6th doesnt mean hes garbage either...he could easily come in and kick butt...you dont know.

4. They did need an OLB...the ONLY depth behind Wood/Harrison is Worilds...as they lost out on Gibson by cutting him to keep A. Smith active. They needed another guy...if Wood or Harrison go down and Worilds as to come in then there is nothing. Yes Timmons could be moved if needed, but then you short change ILB. It was a need and a great value pick for a player rated as high as a 2nd rounder.

5. Theres not gonna be much difference between a 4th round G and a 6th round G at this point. Allen is of the Ike Taylor mold, may take a couple years but in the end should be worth it.

7willBheaven
05-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Ok now onto a shorter version of my thoughts that I typed earlier.

Heyward - Stud. Should come around quicker than Hood based on how/where he played in college.

Gilbert - Should be at least a starting RT. If like LLT says he becomes a starting LT...EVEN BETTER. He can play G too, but I think I'd rather see him at T. Some say he could have been had in the 3rd...not sure about that. Even though only 3 OL players went in the 3rd (Rackey, Reid, Bartksdale)...any of those teams could have taken him or another. Being he was rated a 2-3rd rounder and they got him at the bottom of the 2nd isnt too bad.

Brown - Hopefully a potential stud. I didnt know much about until after they picked him and I like what I've seen. Should immediately be the nickel/#3 CB for the team and also contribute on ST right off the bat. Eventually to be the #1 or #2 CB.

Allen - Same here didnt know a lot about him...but he should at least become a #3 CB or even move to S...if he becomes half of what Ike has I'd be happy.

Carter - While Chidi said he is undersized I do not see that as the case. He's 6'1 248lbs...Harrison is 6' 250lbs. He's in the mold of Harrison not Wood. While he did pretty good in college as a DE...i DO think he was undersized for that position even in college...but he managed to play good enough to get a DPOTY award and as high as a 2nd round grade. Can he be a future starter, not sure...but they definitely needed depth with Gibson being gone so he will help out as far as that is concerned. Great value for a 5th rounder.

Williams - While many people may not like this pick...I guess I'm neutral on it...and taking a more of a wait and see approach. Even if he becomes a solid/dependable backup...I'd be happy...we shall see.

Batch - Didnt know about him either...but after researching him he seemed like a great 3rd down back and can fill in easily for Moore if he doesnt come back.

Overall of course it wasnt "sexy" (I hate using that word for a draft)...it was a "Steeler Draft"...some picks it will be a few years before we might see something...while others we could see something from them in their rookie years (or the following yr). I'd say if i had to "grade" it...a B to B+...and if some of these late rounders become solid (and the early picks become what we think they will) it could become an A or A+

Steeltreal
05-04-2011, 08:42 PM
It sends the message that the organisation is comfortable with the majority of the squad.

I wonder how comfortable they are with Farrior, Foote and Fox. Sylvester has to take over the other spot at some point midseason.

7willBheaven
05-04-2011, 09:02 PM
I wonder how comfortable they are with Farrior, Foote and Fox. Sylvester has to take over the other spot at some point midseason.

Farrior played better in 2010 than he did in 2009. If that will continue who knows. But if he still is playing solid then he'll play. If he slips some...I could see them rotating Foote and Sylvester in. I dont see any way they just out right/completely yank Farrior (besides injury). But to go back to them being comfortable with who they have. Apparently they are as they didnt draft another ILB...while there are some other LBs on the roster that are unknown also...so who knows what they have there. But I would say yes they think they're fine with what they have.

Aussie_steeler
05-05-2011, 03:11 AM

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Butler-On-5th-Round-Draft-Pick/48d5e584-d2b2-450f-a34c-a87023936beb

Keith Butler has plenty to say about this question.

He is a much better judge than I can ever be

suitanim
05-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Jurrell Casey is not a NT...he is a DT in a 4-3...he possibly (very slim chance) could be a DE in a 3-4 as he is like an inch or so shorter than Ziggy.

Here is what Dave Razanno had to say about Casey:

"There’s a defensive tackle at USC named Jurrell Casey, and he’s the protypical nose [tackle]," Razzano said. "He’s like another Michael Carter, who we got in the fifth round in San Francisco – one of the all-time steals. I see he’s rated as the ninth-best defensive tackle. If they do a [mock] re-draft in a few years, he’ll be a top-seven pick."

"Watch him split the double-team here," Razzano said as Casey burst between the Bears’ center and left guard. "Look at that nasty explosiveness. I’m telling you, it’s [like the Pittsburgh Steelers’] Casey Hampton. He has short-area quickness and enough of a motor to satisfy me. You have to realize, defensive linemen don’t all have great work ethic. That’s why they’re big. But [Jurrell Casey’s] a naturally explosive guy, and they’re hard to find."

7willBheaven
05-05-2011, 03:04 PM
Here is what Dave Razanno had to say about Casey:

"There’s a defensive tackle at USC named Jurrell Casey, and he’s the protypical nose [tackle]," Razzano said. "He’s like another Michael Carter, who we got in the fifth round in San Francisco – one of the all-time steals. I see he’s rated as the ninth-best defensive tackle. If they do a [mock] re-draft in a few years, he’ll be a top-seven pick."

"Watch him split the double-team here," Razzano said as Casey burst between the Bears’ center and left guard. "Look at that nasty explosiveness. I’m telling you, it’s [like the Pittsburgh Steelers’] Casey Hampton. He has short-area quickness and enough of a motor to satisfy me. You have to realize, defensive linemen don’t all have great work ethic. That’s why they’re big. But [Jurrell Casey’s] a naturally explosive guy, and they’re hard to find."

While I respect this persons opinion...it is just that one persons opinion...I have never seen him mentioned on any of the top sites or anywhere period at a NT. Everyone says he's a 4-3 DT only. He's too light to be a NT also...he'd have to add 15-20 pounds to be a solid NT size...and if he could do that and have the playing ability of a NT...then maybe. But its highly doubtful...thats why TN a 4-3 team selected him. If they took him in the 3rd as a POSSIBLE PROJECT NT with no assurance he could add the weight and do everything...would be a huge risk and a wasted pick.

Aussie_steeler
05-05-2011, 03:47 PM
I've gotta say I had Jurrell Casey as a NT in my final board mock draft.

I read similiar scouting reports that had him as a potential NT.

I based that on nose tackle experience at college, short stout frame with sand in pants, and strength that could translate to the position.

Hey, I am no expert but I can see why some people would make the same assumption that I did.

In hindsight looking further back at reports and interviews it is obvious that Casey prefers being disruptive that being an occupier.

Chidi29
05-05-2011, 04:14 PM
LLT,

Great info.

I do agree with you on Gilbert in that he may end up on the left side. He moves well enough and as you've talked about, plays with good bend.

But I don't agree with your overall assesment of him as you can tell. I don't want to take a guy who has to be coached up in the second round. Just don't see that nasty play in him and his technique in the run game leaves a lot to be desired.

I actually think Brown is a solid tackler. At the very least, he's scrappy and actively plays the run.

Carter may have the same listed size but he isn't nearly as big as Harrison. Harrison is strong as an ox and has a lot of bulk, a lot of muscle. Carter looks frail in comparison and just looking at him, you can tell the builds are different. It's not just about heights and weights. It's about the amount of muscle and the overall makeup of your body that creates a build.

I think every fan will be pulling for Batch.

Chidi29
05-05-2011, 04:18 PM
A few of my thoughts

Grade C+

For what it's worth, I was reading an article about a rookie nose tackle the other day. A Bills' scout said nose tackle is one of the easier positions to learn. Our scheme is more complex and I think it's a difficult position to transition to because of the big differences in assignments from a college NT, who usually play in 4-3 base defenses, and nose tackle.

But any player could be able to pick up the playbook quickly. Casey Hampton started eleven games his rookie year.

I wanted us to take a RG too but the board didn't do us a lot of favors.

I was fine with taking an OLB. We put a high priority on the front seven and the OLBs. We should always be looking to add players to that group.

Texasteel
05-05-2011, 04:39 PM
I really think that next year is going to be a better year for us to pick up a good NT. I've already started a list and already have a favorite..

Chidi29
05-05-2011, 05:08 PM
I really think that next year is going to be a better year for us to pick up a good NT. I've already started a list and already have a favorite..

You gotta give us a name.

SMR
05-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Hey good post Chidi, but I really like that Batch kid a bit more than you may. There is something about him. Time will tell, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Texasteel
05-05-2011, 05:28 PM
I'll put out the list later, but the one I'm listing as a favorite (right now) is

Josh Chapman of Alabama, 6'1", 310lb he is cut for a NT and could put on another 15lb easy. He's the strongest player on the squad and was the strongest when Cody was on the team.

Any other favorites

Chidi29
05-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Hey good post Chidi, but I really like that Batch kid a bit more than you may. There is something about him. Time will tell, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Make no mistake, I do like Batch and think he was definitely worth the seventh round pick.

suitanim
05-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Interesting...I was reading a Titans MB and several members were speculating that the team was switching to a 3-4 BECAUSE of he selection of Casey, whom they also had pegged as a 3-4 NT. For what it's worth, I have the Browns 1st Rd pick as a pure 3-4 NT as well, and he's going to be playing in a 4-3.

7willBheaven
05-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Interesting...I was reading a Titans MB and several members were speculating that the team was switching to a 3-4 BECAUSE of he selection of Casey, whom they also had pegged as a 3-4 NT. For what it's worth, I have the Browns 1st Rd pick as a pure 3-4 NT as well, and he's going to be playing in a 4-3.

I do not see anything of the sort on the Titans MB...plus I remember reading after the new staff/etc was put together they are staying 4-3. Plus they really dont have the players for a 3-4. As far as Taylor going to the Browns...it doesnt matter if hes the #1 NT in the draft...he is still a DT and can play either position...that argument has nothing to do with anything...as its only more rare that a DT can play NT...not that a NT can play either DT position.

suitanim
05-06-2011, 04:06 PM
I'm really not going to argue with someone who's so completely positive they are so completely right about something that is consistently inconsistent.

You do, however, realize that there are probably more than one or even a few Titans message boards, right? Not to put too fine a point upon it, but the new staff of the Titans also expressed the wish to function as the Patriots defense does, which (I'm sure in your infinite wisdom you already know) means that they employ both a 3-4 and a 4-3 situationally? Right?

7willBheaven
05-06-2011, 07:35 PM
I'm really not going to argue with someone who's so completely positive they are so completely right about something that is consistently inconsistent.

You do, however, realize that there are probably more than one or even a few Titans message boards, right? Not to put too fine a point upon it, but the new staff of the Titans also expressed the wish to function as the Patriots defense does, which (I'm sure in your infinite wisdom you already know) means that they employ both a 3-4 and a 4-3 situationally? Right?

Oh I dont care if some people think he could be a NT or not...thats cool with my...I'm just sticking to my point and the facts of various sites and info and such that I've read on him. As far as the Titans MB...generally when I see people say the Titans MB...Steelers MB...etc...I take that as the actual teams MB...compared to saying I saw something on Steelers Universe MB or whatever...so thats the one I checked was the Titans MB. I know there are others out there.

My paint point in all of this from the beginning thats seems to got lost here is the Steelers drafting this guy in the 2nd round (because he didnt make it to their pick in the 3rd). A project player who you dont even know could beef up and handle the position or not...is not worth that type of pick...that was my main point...not just for this player but ANY player that would be a decent project taken that high...i just do not agree with.

Steeltreal
05-06-2011, 09:00 PM
http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Butler-On-5th-Round-Draft-Pick/48d5e584-d2b2-450f-a34c-a87023936beb

Keith Butler has plenty to say about this question.

He is a much better judge than I can ever be

So last year we had 5 ILB 3 OLB minus Gibson, Straight to the PS for Carter if both Foote and Fox are retained.

Aussie_steeler
05-06-2011, 09:09 PM
So last year we had 5 ILB 3 OLB minus Gibson, Straight to the PS for Carter if both Foote and Fox are retained.

Thats the way I see it. Timmons counts as cover both inside and out.

Carter and Ellis would be competing for spots on the practice squad

My concern is similar to most posters here. can we afford to keep Harrison, Woodley and Timmons on huge contracts??? I hope a way can be found

7willBheaven
05-06-2011, 09:10 PM

Actually they kept 9 LBs last year total. Gibson was of course the 9th. The only reason he was let go was to keep Smith active and bring in another DL. So it would not surprise me if they kept 9 again. However with Fox being a FA...they may not re-sign him and just keep 8 and put Carter in his place. Either way be it 8 or 9 like last year...theres a good chance Carter WILL make it.

7willBheaven
05-06-2011, 09:12 PM

My concern is similar to most posters here. can we afford to keep Harrison, Woodley and Timmons on huge contracts??? I hope a way can be found

Add in Farrior to that group...his deal isnt HUGE but still good money. And I think 1-2 of those 2 will be gone within the next 1-2 years (namely Harrison and Farrior obviously).

suitanim
05-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Oh I dont care if some people think he could be a NT or not...thats cool with my...I'm just sticking to my point and the facts of various sites and info and such that I've read on him. As far as the Titans MB...generally when I see people say the Titans MB...Steelers MB...etc...I take that as the actual teams MB...compared to saying I saw something on Steelers Universe MB or whatever...so thats the one I checked was the Titans MB. I know there are others out there.

My paint point in all of this from the beginning thats seems to got lost here is the Steelers drafting this guy in the 2nd round (because he didnt make it to their pick in the 3rd). A project player who you dont even know could beef up and handle the position or not...is not worth that type of pick...that was my main point...not just for this player but ANY player that would be a decent project taken that high...i just do not agree with.

OK, I'll bite. By that logic, than you would certainly disagree with:
2007- Lawrence Timmons (1) and Lamarr Woodley (2)
2008- Bruce Davis (3)
2009- Ziggy Hood (1)
2010- Jason Worilds (2)

Because none of them were expected to start, and all were chosen in high rounds as "projects"...

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-09-2011, 09:46 AM

I think the plan will be to have Worilds replace Harrison, just like the succession from Porter, Gildon, Greene, etc. Woodley and Timmons will be the priorities to pay decent contracts to. I just wish we were able to keep Thad Gibson around last year and then we would not have had to spend a 5th round pick on another OLB. I think Demarcus Love in the 5th would have solidified the RG spot in a year.

7willBheaven
05-09-2011, 12:10 PM
OK, I'll bite. By that logic, than you would certainly disagree with:
2007- Lawrence Timmons (1) and Lamarr Woodley (2)
2008- Bruce Davis (3)
2009- Ziggy Hood (1)
2010- Jason Worilds (2)

Because none of them were expected to start, and all were chosen in high rounds as "projects"...

I'll admit I wasnt sold on Hood or even Worilds (thought he was a bit of a reach)...and they've proved me wrong so far. Timmons and Woodley...Timmons was already an LB...Woodley i didnt know squat about at the beginning. I do not see moving from DE to OLB as that much of a transition...compared to some other positions. Bruce Davis I NEVER cared for either...he made the move to LB...but he just sucked haha.

My main point with J Casey being a project is him needing to beef up some (he's just too light for an NFL/Steelers NT) and still being able to play the position...thats a big question for any player. Compared to just transitioning to another position (DE to LB say). Yes those players you listed were technically all projects...and as I mentioned some of them I didnt care for at the time and I'm happy they proved me wrong. But none of them needed to had 15-20lbs AND move positions. A players ability/etc can greatly change when trying to bulk up like that...thats the big risk in my eyes that would make him a bigger project...even greater risks than any of the guys you mentioned. Thats my point.

suitanim
05-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Why do you continually insist that ONLY 330 lb guys can play nose tackle? I can give you an example of another NT in the NFL who weighs 305 lbs and does a fine job when he's called into duty....his name is Chris Hoke and he plays for the Steelers!

How about Jay Ratliff? He did fine for years in the Cowboys 3-4 at NT and he weighed in at about 305...

The point is, the qualifications to play NT in the NFL do not begin and end with how fat the player is...but what do I (and many, many, many NFL talent scouts) know, eh?

7willBheaven
05-09-2011, 07:05 PM
Why do you continually insist that ONLY 330 lb guys can play nose tackle? I can give you an example of another NT in the NFL who weighs 305 lbs and does a fine job when he's called into duty....his name is Chris Hoke and he plays for the Steelers!

How about Jay Ratliff? He did fine for years in the Cowboys 3-4 at NT and he weighed in at about 305...

The point is, the qualifications to play NT in the NFL do not begin and end with how fat the player is...but what do I (and many, many, many NFL talent scouts) know, eh?

I know smaller guys CAN sometimes play NT...Hoke has filled in just fine when needed over the years. I'd prefer a bigger body to plug that hole in the middle...with O-linemen being usually 315-360 in some cases...I'd like to have some beef on the other side to combat that, especially being the 3-4. And in this era...the majority of NT are bigger body guys, I can think of 5 or 6 off the top of my head that are good to great NTs that are big...I can only think of 1 (starting) NT thats not big...and thats only because you mentioned Ratliff (but what has Dallas done lately anyways, hahah).

suitanim
05-10-2011, 08:21 AM
Again, by that logic, DE's would all need to weigh 330 lbs because OT's are averaging about 320 now.

Anyway, the fact remains...Casey Hampton ain't getting any younger, and we have neglected to draft his replacement two years in a row now. I think Casey fit the bill, and we took a flier...time will tell.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-10-2011, 01:46 PM
** Mayock projects defensive tackle Jurrell Casey as a mid-second-round selection. Casey is strictly a one-gap “3-technique,” meaning he fits only in 4-3 fronts. “He reminds me a little bit of Mike Patterson,” Mayock said, echoing Pete Carroll’s long-held sentiment (http://usc.ocregister.com/2009/04/24/usc-football-jurrell-casey-and-the-depth-chart/13605/). “I think he’s a starting defensive tackle in the NFL.”

http://usc.ocregister.com/tag/mike-mayock/

I think if Pete Carroll and Mike Mayock believe Casey is a 3 technique in the NFL...they probably have good reasons why. I was still pimping Myron Pryor from a couple drafts ago and he only goes 310 lbs, but is a thick kid that can play a 2 gap technique. Been hoping for a young guy to at least backup Hampton, but it doesnt look like any time soon that one is coming.

suitanim
05-10-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm SHOCKED that you disagree with me...

He has played NT before:
http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/usc/post/_/id/3165/jurrell-casey-moves-back-to-nose-tackle

PFW has him as a NT:
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/04/13/draft-dose-nose-tackle-prospects

Here's a local paper looking at Casey:
http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/549527/Steelers-draft-capsule.html?nav=751

Titans DC HIMSELF considers him both a DT and NT:
http://www.titansradio.com/Article.asp?id=2174301&spid=27572

"Titans defensive coordinator Jerry Gray said Casey gave him the flexibility to move him around the line, from a typical 3-technique to nose tackle depending on the situation. That quality was something that also sold Gray on second round pick Akeem Ayers."

I know you're another guy who is never wrong, but when the DC of the team that drafted him states that they'll play him at NT, well....sorry, kiddo...

LLT
05-10-2011, 04:13 PM
I'm SHOCKED that you disagree with me...

He has played NT before:
http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/usc/post/_/id/3165/jurrell-casey-moves-back-to-nose-tackle

PFW has him as a NT:
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/04/13/draft-dose-nose-tackle-prospects

Here's a local paper looking at Casey:
http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/549527/Steelers-draft-capsule.html?nav=751

Titans DC HIMSELF considers him both a DT and NT:
http://www.titansradio.com/Article.asp?id=2174301&spid=27572

"Titans defensive coordinator Jerry Gray said Casey gave him the flexibility to move him around the line, from a typical 3-technique to nose tackle depending on the situation. That quality was something that also sold Gray on second round pick Akeem Ayers."

I know you're another guy who is never wrong, but when the DC of the team that drafted him states that they'll play him at NT, well....sorry, kiddo...

In a 4-3 defense the "NT" occupies the Center/Guard gap opposite of the TE....while the DT occupies the Tackle/Guard gap on the side that the TE lines up on.

Generally the 4-3 "NT" is a smaller than a 3-4 NT due to the demands of the scheme, in which the 4-3 NT should be able to slash and to stack and shed...whereas the 3-4 NT is used primarily to take up blockers. That being said, both 3-4 and 4-3 schemes are much to complicated to ever say that the roles dont sometimes change....and virtually every team employs some sort of 50-read defense...in which they use a NT.

Its sometimes hard to predict a 3-technique prospect as a potential 0-technique...sure, he might play the NT in the 4-3, but that does NOT mean that he can be that big-bodied player you need to take up blockers EVERY PLAY...nor does it mean its the best place to maximize his ability.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-10-2011, 07:57 PM
LLT, I think that Casey played some 0 in some odd packages at USC, but I believe that what Mayock and Jurell Casey's former coach (Pete Carrol) were probably thinking is that he is more of a 1 gap player on the D-line and that would make him best suited to be a 3 technique in the NFL.

No surprise here that I merely post the quote of a couple decent talent evaluators and even agree that a 310lb guy can play NT...and some board members get their sweater vests and tattoo's in a bunch.

7willBheaven
05-10-2011, 09:08 PM
In a 4-3 defense the "NT" occupies the Center/Guard gap opposite of the TE....while the DT occupies the Tackle/Guard gap on the side that the TE lines up on.

Generally the 4-3 "NT" is a smaller than a 3-4 NT due to the demands of the scheme, in which the 4-3 NT should be able to slash and to stack and shed...whereas the 3-4 NT is used primarily to take up blockers. That being said, both 3-4 and 4-3 schemes are much to complicated to ever say that the roles dont sometimes change....and virtually every team employs some sort of 50-read defense...in which they use a NT.

Its sometimes hard to predict a 3-technique prospect as a potential 0-technique...sure, he might play the NT in the 4-3, but that does NOT mean that he can be that big-bodied player you need to take up blockers EVERY PLAY...nor does it mean its the best place to maximize his ability.

Very well said LLT. This is kind of what I've been trying to see...about him not really being a 3-4 NT. I'm not one to usually get too technical and all that (like you did explaining it)...but maybe this will help validate my point. I was never doubting he could play NT...just that I do not see him as a 3-4 NT. In reality I guess I should have got a little more detailed as you did explaining that there can be a NT in a 4-3...but its different than a 3-4 NT...as you've explained.

suitanim
05-11-2011, 11:18 AM
It is important to note that the Titans plan to employ BOTH the 3-4 and the 4-3, ala the Patriots, and have said so many times. I don't believe Vince Wolfork comes off the field when the Pats switch to a 4-3, in fact, I think he played DE (that's not a typo, DE not DT).

Again, we can split hairs all day on this one, but the fact is, the kid is 21 years old, and could easily add 20 lbs to his frame if need be without a great decrease in his skills. We don't typically select players with the expectation that they will be starting in year one, anyway, and nowhere does anything stated above address the glaring fact that, love the kid or hate the kid as a 3-4 NT in the Steelers system, we have an aging Casey Hampton with absolutely no heir apparent anywhere in sight.

I would rather draft a project that only half the people agree on as fitting the bill than draft no one and just leave the slot vacant. I also don't have sweater vests or tattoos.

The Duke
05-11-2011, 11:36 AM
It is important to note that the Titans plan to employ BOTH the 3-4 and the 4-3, ala the Patriots, and have said so many times. I don't believe Vince Wolfork comes off the field when the Pats switch to a 4-3, in fact, I think he played DE (that's not a typo, DE not DT).

Actually, I'm pretty sure Wilfork was only playing DE in the 3-4 last year. They had all sorts of injuries at DE and wilfork could play it. Pryor's more of an NT and younger so they let him have Wilfork's spot those times

I believe Casey could play the nose if needed, maybe not as successful as hampton and others, but could have worked himself into a rotation

I'm happy with the CB we got instead anyway

7willBheaven
05-11-2011, 12:12 PM
We don't typically select players with the expectation that they will be starting in year one, anyway, and nowhere does anything stated above address the glaring fact that, love the kid or hate the kid as a 3-4 NT in the Steelers system, we have an aging Casey Hampton with absolutely no heir apparent anywhere in sight.

I would rather draft a project that only half the people agree on as fitting the bill than draft no one and just leave the slot vacant. I also don't have sweater vests or tattoos.

Nobody is doubting Hampton getting up there in age...but he still has 2 years left and hasnt slowed down one bit. In fact he was in there a lot of times last year where he normally wouldnt be (3rd downs, etc). Its not a big deal that they didnt select someone this year...while there was only a small handful of guys who would have been good fits and some went undrafted and they may be brought in once they are able to do so. I am not worried one bit about Hampton and not having his replacement right now...this isnt Aaron Smith we're talking about here whos had a terrible last few years here. The Steelers will be fine and they will get his replacement at a date/time they see fit...they know what they're doing...trust in them.

suitanim
05-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Whominawhat? Aaron Smith has had a terrible couple years?

Aaron Smith has been injured, but when he's on the field, our defense is noticeably better. Anyway, we are one Casey Hampton injury away from having zero starting NT's on our roster. The position needs addressed.

7willBheaven
05-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Whominawhat? Aaron Smith has had a terrible couple years?

Aaron Smith has been injured, but when he's on the field, our defense is noticeably better. Anyway, we are one Casey Hampton injury away from having zero starting NT's on our roster. The position needs addressed.

Thats what I'm talking about...Smith has had a terrible few years because he's been injured so much and missed so much time...not talking about his playing ability when he's healthy. But as far as one injury away from no starting NT...that can be said with any position (that doesnt have a 1st rounder/future starter behind them)...Ben goes down...Lefty/Batch arent starters . Troy goes down...and its all backups behind him...Mendy has Redman and Dwyer...etc. Thats how most NFL teams work...you cant have every position having a starter or starter in waiting behind the current starter.

suitanim
05-11-2011, 12:57 PM
(sigh)

I give up.

LLT
05-11-2011, 01:17 PM

Again, we can split hairs all day on this one, but the fact is, the kid is 21 years old, and could easily add 20 lbs to his frame if need be without a great decrease in his skills. We don't typically select players with the expectation that they will be starting in year one, anyway, and nowhere does anything stated above address the glaring fact that, love the kid or hate the kid as a 3-4 NT in the Steelers system, we have an aging Casey Hampton with absolutely no heir apparent anywhere in sight.

You make a good point...most teams DO now employe features of both 4-3 and 3-4.

I wouldnt worry too much at this time about the heir apparant....I still have hopes that we grab Anthony Gray as an UDFA.

taztroy43
05-11-2011, 01:35 PM
What do you guys think of S Joe Lefeged??? He's an athletic S

suitanim
05-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Oh, by the way, I like all 3 of our first picks (since this is the area around where we'd have had to pick or make moves to select Casey) too. I just am left scratching my head as to how we keep skipping over NT. Perhaps there is some UDFA out there that will fill the bill. Even though it's probably the LEAST glamorous position in the 3-4, it's arguable the most important if you buy into the whole "It all starts up front" idea...

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Oh, by the way, I like all 3 of our first picks (since this is the area around where we'd have had to pick or make moves to select Casey) too. I just am left scratching my head as to how we keep skipping over NT. Perhaps there is some UDFA out there that will fill the bill. Even though it's probably the LEAST glamorous position in the 3-4, it's arguable the most important if you buy into the whole "It all starts up front" idea...

Yeah, I was hoping we take a chance on Jerrell Powe at NT as he was around later. Obviously some work ethic issue beyond what the Steelers wanted to work with. The other way to look at it is....the teams that drafted a NT will be cutting a guy loose that might at least be an upgrade over Hoke. I love the Heyward pick, but am frightened by Gilbert. Look for NT in next years draft hopefully.

suitanim
05-12-2011, 09:21 AM
I'm willing to give Gilbert the benefit of the doubt: He played in a lot of games against top-notch competition, and he's very versatile. If he's coached up he could be a very nice addition to the OL.