PDA

View Full Version : Troy tops ESPN safeties list.

zulater
05-03-2011, 08:22 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/27282/power-rankings-top-10-nfl-safeties

It was unaminous! :cool:

fansince'76
05-03-2011, 08:44 PM
And predictably a bunch of idiots leaving comments like "but, but, but he was burned in the Super Bowl - Reed is WAAAY better," never mind that he was injured (and it showed). Where was Reed in the AFCCG 2 years ago when Troy was icing the game with a pick 6? Where was Reed earlier this season with the division on the line in Baltimore when Troy was stripping Flacco for the turnover that ultimately decided the game? :coffee: Seems to me that more often than not whenever we play the Ravens in a high stakes game, Troy comes up huge and Reed doesn't do jack shit besides get knocked on his ass by Hines.

Iron Steeler
05-03-2011, 09:02 PM
And predictably a bunch of idiots leaving comments like "but, but, but he was burned in the Super Bowl - Reed is WAAAY better," never mind that he was injured (and it showed). Where was Reed in the AFCCG 2 years ago when Troy was icing the game with a pick 6? Where was Reed earlier this season with the division on the line in Baltimore when Troy was stripping Flacco for the turnover that ultimately decided the game? :coffee: Seems to me that more often than not whenever we play the Ravens in a high stakes game, Troy comes up huge and Reed doesn't do jack shit besides get knocked on his ass by Hines.

YESSSSS

SteelerEmpire
05-03-2011, 09:07 PM

Reed runs up his stats on the bum teams that the Ravens play... notice he's usually not a big factor in the bigger games.

CPanther95
05-03-2011, 09:12 PM
... and Ryan Clark ranked 12th.

BigNastyDefense
05-03-2011, 10:32 PM
When do you see Reed on a safety blitz?

When do you see Reed in run support?

When do you see Reed come from his deep safety spot at the snap of the ball and stuff the RB for no gain or a loss?

Ed Reed is strictly a pass defender...he plays center field. Polamalu impacts games from all different aspects.

pepsyman1
05-04-2011, 12:36 AM
Now if we can find a way to get a CB on the top of a list, I'd be a really happy guy.

The Duke
05-04-2011, 12:39 AM

Yup

thing is, Ben owns Reed. Always seems to take him out of the game. Flacco just can't keep Troy off of his back

literally :chuckle:

Craic
05-04-2011, 12:58 AM
Now if we can find a way to get a CB on the top of a list, I'd be a really happy guy.

Naa, I'd rather have a CB on top of a best CB's list. Does no good on top of a best Safety list.

:chuckle: :wink02:

SMR
05-04-2011, 05:47 AM
Naa, I'd rather have a CB on top of a best CB's list. Does no good on top of a best Safety list.

:chuckle: :wink02:

:lol: :clap2:

steeldawg
05-04-2011, 08:31 AM
No Darren Sharper or Brian Dawkins?

steeldevil
05-04-2011, 08:41 AM

When do you see Reed come from his deep safety spot at the snap of the ball and stuff the RB for no gain or a loss?

Ed Reed is strictly a pass defender...he plays center field. Polamalu impacts games from all different aspects.

That pretty much sums it up.

steelerdude15
05-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Best safety in the game!

IUSteel
05-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Honestly, Reed or Polamalu in 1 and 2 doesn't matter much to me, two very prototypical safeties at their positions. I personally think Polamalu is better, because maybe he doesn't get a pick-six every game, but at his lowest he's still solid. Reed has been hurt lately, and remember when he coughed up that fumble on a PR? Those types of plays of his are what I think of when I hear Reed. Troy doesn't have anything close (admittedly, he doesn't return, but you get the point).

My big issue is: Eric Berry at 5? Michael Griffin at 6? Maybe Griffin at 8 or 9 or something, but Darren Sharper is better than both, and Weddle has been a pretty consistent member of the secondary for the Chargers for years, very underrated member of a good run stopping team. I also have to think Merriweather, even with his dirty hit, is a top 15 safety, over Earl Thomas at the least.

43Hitman
05-05-2011, 07:39 PM
Eric Berry and Earl Thomas haven't put together enough games yet to be considered the best imo.

tube517
05-05-2011, 08:23 PM

When Mike Wallace is running past him.

Crow-Magnon
05-08-2011, 02:14 PM

You have to go back a few years before he suffered his neck injury. Reed used to safety blitz quite often and help stuff the run. Remember, he was originally a SS, not a FS. Regardless, both are two of the best safeties ever to play in the NFL.

BigNastyDefense
05-08-2011, 04:08 PM
You have to go back a few years before he suffered his neck injury. Reed used to safety blitz quite often and help stuff the run. Remember, he was originally a SS, not a FS. Regardless, both are two of the best safeties ever to play in the NFL.

I am gonna have to watch some video, bit I will take your word on it.

And that's very true, both are two of the best to ever play the game. Both are first-ballot HoFers.

Crow-Magnon
05-08-2011, 05:02 PM
I am gonna have to watch some video, bit I will take your word on it.

And that's very true, both are two of the best to ever play the game. Both are first-ballot HoFers.

Trust me, I am not going to say I ever saw Ed pole-vault over the OL and sack a QB or stop a RB in the backfield ala' Troy, but he did used to play SS until (I think) like 2006 or so.

No matter. I'll take his NFL Records of- Most Seasons Leading League in INT's with 3 (tied with Everson Walls); Longest INT Return of 108 yards (beating the old record of 107 yards set by....Ed Reed); and Most Blocked Punt Returns for TD's with 3 (tied with Tom Flynn). Not to mention Ed's total over number of INT's (54).

Truth is, while we can argue incessantly over who's better, the other 30 teams in the NFL would beat the hell outta one another to sign either one in a NY second.

BigNastyDefense
05-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Trust me, I am not going to say I ever saw Ed pole-vault over the OL and sack a QB or stop a RB in the backfield ala' Troy, but he did used to play SS until (I think) like 2006 or so.

No matter. I'll take his NFL Records of- Most Seasons Leading League in INT's with 3 (tied with Everson Walls); Longest INT Return of 108 yards (beating the old record of 107 yards set by....Ed Reed); and Most Blocked Punt Returns for TD's with 3 (tied with Tom Flynn). Not to mention Ed's total over number of INT's (54).

Truth is, while we can argue incessantly over who's better, the other 30 teams in the NFL would beat the hell outta one another to sign either one in a NY second.

Ain't that the truth. I would love to have Ed Reed playing FS in the Steelers defensive backfield. Of course, that's with Troy still playing SS.

Also, when these two eventually retire, neither team will look the same on defense.

st33lersguy
05-08-2011, 08:00 PM
They would be correct on that