PDA

View Full Version : Cook: Everybody loses with a lockout

stillers4me
05-03-2011, 05:15 AM
No news is bad news. That's the only way to describe the ongoing mess that is the NFL lockout. The silence Monday from the U.S. 8th Circuit Court of Appeals in St. Louis was deafening and disheartening. Sadly, it didn't lift its temporary stay of the injunction won by the players in district court last week that would have ended the lockout and put the teams back in business. If it doesn't lift that stay today or at some point this week, the lockout almost certainly will continue into the summer. The big losers then won't be just the players, but football fans everywhere. The owners might even lose, too.

That's the conclusion I reached after spending the weekend at Steelers headquarters for the NFL draft. The team's scouts and coaches -- like their counterparts with all of the teams -- have serious concerns about what will happen to the game if the lockout lasts and wipes out minicamps, organized team activities and perhaps even much of training camp and the exhibition season. Remember, they're football people. They care about the product. They're not the business people who are arguing with the players over how to divide $9.5 billion in annual revenues. It's a shame the business people are making the decisions in this lockout. The football people make so much more sense to me................

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11123/1143629-87-0.stm

zulater
05-03-2011, 05:48 AM
I've got mixed emotions on this one. While obviously I'd love to see the stay lifted and the business of football resumed to normal, or as close as we can get to normal without a CBA. Then there's another side of me that thinks for the long term benifit of the game it would be better for the owners to win this round, so as that one side doesn't hold too many cards going into the next round of bargaining. Because while I know it's currently popular to view the owners as greedy robber barons, the truth is ( at least imo) that some concessions need to be made by the players or the competitive balance of the league will not remain in place.

Vis
05-03-2011, 07:13 AM
Both sides have to feel like they gave a little or it won't last. if the players get a victory (they already have agreed to give up some so they arent winning) the owners would opt out again. if the owners get a full victory we will have a strike in a few years. Labor peace only comes when both sides are slightly bloody but still standing.

polamalubeast
05-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Goodell is the biggest asshole in the NFL.....It will destroy the NFL.