PDA

View Full Version : Jon Dwyer vs Baron Batch

Iron Steeler
05-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Who do you think will make the biggest contribution to the Steelers?

Chidi29
05-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Probably Batch. We're looking for another third down back that can pass block and catch out of the backfield. Didn't see that from Dwyer in limited action last year and while he's obviously been with the team for a full year, had a lot of ground to make up after playing in a triple option every season but his freshman year at GT while Batch played in a pass happy offense.

Iron Steeler
05-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Ya the reason why I ask, is more so that I am confused. Thought that we are going to use dwyer as Spell. He still havent got his chance.

Iron Steeler
05-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Yet I have been reading/ watching Baron Batch and so far it has been impressive. I think the one think i like more ironically is his size. Yes his size, 5'9 200 he could vanish behind the line for a second, and before you know it he can turn the corner.

Steeltreal
05-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Dont get why some are saying Batch will take over for Moore? Moores role last year was come in 1st half , have success with 1 or 2 touches then be completely ignored for the rest of the game. Batch will be lucky to make the PS.

Iron Steeler
05-01-2011, 08:57 PM
And how long do we have Redman?

Psycho Ward 86
05-01-2011, 09:16 PM
i still have a much much higher preference to Dwyer. Remember, he was touted a possible 1st round pick last year. Slippage? That's form a failed drug test (which was confirmed to be from his ADHD medicine) and not having to catch and block much in Georgia tech's offense. Advantage Dwyer, by FAR for me

Chidi29
05-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Ya the reason why I ask, is more so that I am confused. Thought that we are going to use dwyer as Spell. He still havent got his chance.

He'll get his chance in training camp. We're not giving thr job to either guy. That may be part of the reason why we drafted Batch. Competition brings the best out in people.

If Batch makes the team, Dwyer will have no one to blame but himself. I just think Batch has a better chance.

The Duke
05-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Dont get why some are saying Batch will take over for Moore? Moores role last year was come in 1st half , have success with 1 or 2 touches then be completely ignored for the rest of the game. Batch will be lucky to make the PS.

moore slowed down a lot last year (reason for his use being diminished many times) and is a free agent. Batch is young and cheap, so seems obvious to replace moore if he's not resigned

SteelerFanInStl
05-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Batch is a 3rd down back and MeMo will be gone. Dwyer is still running 3rd behind Mendy and Redman but I'd like to see him push Redman for more playing time.

steelpride12
05-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Training camp will show who stays and go's. More pressure on Dwyer to come in healthy and fit and has to come up big in the pre-season.

The Duke
05-01-2011, 11:22 PM
Training camp will show who stays and go's. More pressure on Dwyer to come in healthy and fit and has to come up big in the pre-season.

that is true. Wasn't dwyer the one who looked overweight in TC year?

fansince'76
05-01-2011, 11:31 PM
that is true. Wasn't dwyer the one who looked overweight in TC year?

Apparently so:

After drafting Jonathan Dwyer in the sixth round of the 2010 draft, many, including the Steelers and yours truly, were very high on the skill set Dwyer brought to the team out of the collegiate ranks.

Since April, Dwyer has done little to live up to the excitement.

He arrived at camp overweight and has shown very little desire to take the opportunities being presented to him.TC 2010 Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/440174-breaking-camp-a-first-hand-take-on-the-steelers-as-they-leave-latrobe)

7willBheaven
05-01-2011, 11:53 PM
If they dont re-sign Moore...and unless they bring someone else in (vet or UDFA) then its almost a lock both Dwyer and Batch will make it...as they always carry 4 RBs on the roster with at least 3 getting to dress.

Steeldude
05-02-2011, 03:19 AM
Who do you think will make the biggest contribution to the Steelers?

both will ride the pine.

Chidi29
05-02-2011, 04:36 AM
Apparently so:

TC 2010 Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/440174-breaking-camp-a-first-hand-take-on-the-steelers-as-they-leave-latrobe)

Lockout proably isn't doing him any good.

steeldevil
05-02-2011, 01:53 PM
Batch make more sense for us, replacing Memo as the 3rd down back. But I think Dwyer has a lot more potential and hope we can keep him....

pepsyman1
05-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Ya know, from what I saw last year. I'm less concerned with what either Batch or Dwyer does immediately, I want Redman to get a lot more touches. Whenever he gets the ball he seems to make the most of it. He hits the hole harder initially than Mendy does and seems to be able to move the pile forward whenever he's being tackled.

suitanim
05-02-2011, 03:30 PM
I think Dwyer is more in competition with Redman. Batch caught, what? 140 passes out of the backfield? It's getting to be that you have A) 1-2 down backs, B) redzone/goalline/short yardage backs, and C) 3rd down/spread backs. That would mean A) Mendy (although he's certainly strong enough to play the "B" role), B) a Redman/Dwyer type back, and C) a Moore/Batch type back. It was a solid pick at 7, since Moore HAS definitely slowed some.