PDA

View Full Version : Favorite draft picks?

Psycho Ward 86
04-30-2011, 10:03 PM
LOVE LOVE LOVE the Cameron Heyward and Chris Carter picks. Future stars waiting to happen. Who do you guys like

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-30-2011, 11:36 PM
I like the Heyward and Brown picks. I think Gilbert was a reach and could end up being in the same category as Tony Hills, Trai Essex or Kraig Urbik. Chris Carter is OK, but already have Worlids in waiting, Cortez Allen is a developmental CB and the last 2 picks are exactly that...late rounders that could end up on the PS.

I think we get 2 guys that can contribute some this season and maybe Batch replaces Moore, but might not dress on Sundays. All in all, an OK draft with some hopefully developmental guys that will take a couple seasons to impact.

Moose
04-30-2011, 11:46 PM
Just as you've mentioned, " Future stars waiting to happen". I don't make any judgements on the draftee's, mainly because we won't actually see the capabilities of these young players for a few years down the road, not many are good enough to start play on game day their first year. Like everyone else, I usually read all the reports the scouts publish on the player's, but we all know the scouts usually know about as much as we do. No one can predict the future and some players will adapt, some won't. As we all know the transition from college to pro's is awesome and alot of players don't make it. A lot of players start out in one position and end up playing another, some players career's are shortened or adjusted because of injury, some that happen in camp or pre-season. There is great potential in this year's draft, our FO is definitely football minded and their record show's they have great draft picks. Great teams have great drafts ! I guess all we can do now is just sit, watch, and figure what spot will open for them, if any. Some could end up being trade bait.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-01-2011, 12:01 AM
Great teams have great drafts ! .

Or they try and draft guys like Sweed, Bruce Davis, Tony Hills, Kraig Urbik, Keenan Lewis, Joe Burnett and end up hoping their guys dont get hurt(or have to scramble for replacements like McFadden, Flozell, Jon Scott, Keyaron Fox, Larry Foote). I dont think we took good football players at OT and OG, but again developmental guys that may not pan out.

All we can do is hope they do, so Ben doesnt have to run from the pass rush all season long for the 4th season in a row.

Steeldude
05-01-2011, 12:26 AM
IMO, i am not thrilled with any of the picks. heyward is really the only pick i see amounting to anything. the CBs will be no better than what the steelers have at this point. i hear gilbert is lazy and soft. can a coach really change that? i have my doubts. his arms(33 1/2") are rather short for someone who is 6' 6".

i don't see the point of drafting a OLB. carter is another DE the steelers hope will become a LB. why not draft a LB instead? i wonder if this pick could be a replacement for woodley in 2012. how much do the steelers really want to pay woodley in 2012? he is getting 10 mil in 2011. an amount that he certainly hasn't lived up to yet. when he becomes better in hustling, containment, pass coverage and defending the run then he will be worth it. as of now woodley is a one-dimensional LB with one move to the QB. those aren't too hard to find as the steelers have shown over the years. just plug in another one. i am hoping they can find another harrison.

with that said, no one really knows how it will turn out. maybe they will be super stars or perhaps they will be flops.

Iron Steeler
05-01-2011, 12:46 AM
IMO, i am not thrilled with any of the picks. heyward is really the only pick i see amounting to anything. the CBs will be no better than what the steelers have at this point. i hear gilbert is lazy and soft. can a coach really change that? i have my doubts. his arms(33 1/2") are rather short for someone who is 6' 6".

i don't see the point of drafting a OLB. carter is another DE the steelers hope will become a LB. why not draft a LB instead? i wonder if this pick could be a replacement for woodley in 2012. how much do the steelers really want to pay woodley in 2012? he is getting 10 mil in 2011. an amount that he certainly hasn't lived up to yet. when he becomes better in hustling, containment, pass coverage and defending the run then he will be worth it. as of now woodley is a one-dimensional LB with one move to the QB. those aren't too hard to find as the steelers have shown over the years. just plug in another one. i am hoping they can find another harrison.

with that said, no one really knows how it will turn out. maybe they will be super stars or perhaps they will be flops.

Im with you... im not too thrilled about this draft. Our Number 1 need which was CB , was answered in the in the 3RD n 4TH round. Which sounds like another Keenan Lewis and Ryan Mundy to me. Should have took Ras I dowling with our first pick overall... just sayin

But of course I hope the front office proves me wrong

Steeldude
05-01-2011, 12:49 AM
but i will leave an open mind. you can't really tell for sure who will pan out.

i think the reason they didn't pick a CB in the first is because there really isn't any value. IMO, this year's draft class was filled with average CBs and one or two above average CBs.

Moose
05-01-2011, 01:59 AM
El-Gonzo- I hate to say it, but I see Ben scrambling for his life again this year. And I see our CB's chasing WR down the field giving up 30yrds on the 3rd and 25 downs.

NCSteeler
05-01-2011, 02:28 AM
I'm not overly excited about any of these guys except Heyward, who I think is a solid year from making impact. We have exactly NO luck draft middle round CBs in recent years. Although there is always the possibility that some young kid from the Citadel could be the next Ike??

Anyhow, I really coveted Jerrel Powe in the late rounds, really thought this was the year they would bring in a young kid to help out int he middle. A draft full of possible NTs left us with the same 30 something year olds we started with.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-01-2011, 10:49 AM
El-Gonzo- I hate to say it, but I see Ben scrambling for his life again this year. And I see our CB's chasing WR down the field giving up 30yrds on the 3rd and 25 downs.

Honestly, we have not had good CB play in a decade and the reason the pass defense is decent is because of the pass rush that is put on opposing teams. Heyward could help that tradition continue. The issue is when we run into teams with good O line and QB combinations like Saints, Patriots, Packers, etc and the secondary has to cover longer because the pass rush is stalled.

I was hoping we could build a similar model with some more decent O linemen to give Ben more security in passing situations. I honestly would have rather seen Demarcus Love in the 5th drafted to play guard instead of Keith Williams in the 6th, that is a steal IMO. I think Gilbert is another Jason Watkins, but hopefully he will be driven by his buddy Pouncey to at least be a poor mans Max Starks.

st33lersguy
05-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Cam Heyward

KeiselPower99
05-01-2011, 11:00 AM
I like Heyward. Im not thrilled with anyone else though. This draft reminds me of 2008 with the Hills Davis Dixon picks. We hit on alot of guys last year so Ill give the front office the benefit.

86WARD
05-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Curtis Brown #1
Heyward #2
Gilbert#3

X-Terminator
05-01-2011, 12:23 PM
I heard a lot of the same things about last season's draft. How did that turn out?

How about let's all wait to see how these guys turn out rather than throw them under the bus before they take one rep in camp? Too many of you expect the Steelers to have the perfect (in your minds anyway) draft every season. I'm going to put my trust in the FO that they made the right decisions. Will they all turn out to be productive players? More than likely not, but I'm willing to give every one of them a chance to see what they can do.

stillers4me
05-01-2011, 12:31 PM
I heard a lot of the same things about last season's draft. How did that turn out?

How about let's all wait to see how these guys turn out rather than throw them under the bus before they take one rep in camp? Too many of you expect the Steelers to have the perfect (in your minds anyway) draft every season. I'm going to put my trust in the FO that they made the right decisions. Will they all turn out to be productive players? More than likely not, but I'm willing to give every one of them a chance to see what they can do.

Or at least get their hands on a playbook. :chuckle:

It's fitting that the draft is in the spring...a time of rebirth and new beginnings. Sometimes first rounders are major busts and sometimes ( often in Pittsburgh) those diamonds in the rough are found and new stars are born. I'm always excited for each and every one of our picks. They have been drafted into the very best environment possible, to the very best football organization in the world and now it's up to them to fufill their dreams. They are really the 7 luckiest young men in the NFL draft. I wish them all the best. Welcome to Pittsburgh! :drink:

HometownGal
05-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Until I watch them in TC and see what they can do in an actual game setting, they're all my favorites. :thumbsup:

Steeltreal
05-01-2011, 12:47 PM
This draft will have little impact this season. Heyward might take more snaps than Ziggy did his rookie season. Chris Carter could be plugged in only if Harrison gets hurt.

Ben will be alright. He is 1 more year seasoned and with Arians he has control to do what he wants so stop blaming to Oline. I would like to have seen a TE to replace Spaeth but after DJ Williams was gone in the 3rd there was no one worth taking.

All in all if the pass rush is improved, more pressure throws from opposing QBs that dont have Bens ability to escape, can help DBs create turnovers. Worilds and Sylvester could mix things up a bit in the rotation.

Psycho Ward 86
05-01-2011, 01:07 PM
I think Heyward and Carter are better picks than Hood and Worilds.

TMC
05-01-2011, 04:13 PM
I talked up Chris Carter pretty hard, so he would probably be my favorite pick. People always ask if they can drop and cover when talking about OLBs for the 3-4 and while that is great, if they cannot rush the passer, coverage does not matter. If we wanted cover guys outside, we would draft normal OLBs. Carter is a pass rusher. I look for three things in a pass rusher: speed, explosiveness, and the ability to turn the corner. Well, Carter ran a 4.58 at the combine. His KEI is 73. He is one of the best guys off the snap in this draft. As for the corner, he will give a little dip inside and explode to the edge, flatten his back, and drive off his outside foot. He can do this from either side, which is pretty rare. He also finishes. So, I really like the pick, one of my favorite OLB conversions in this draft.

Cam Heyward was great value at the end of the first. He is big and strong. He is a hard worker, holds the point, just a good football player. He should fit right in this locker room and I expect him to take huge steps in his 2nd season. I think he comes quicker than Hood did and it appears the light has come on for Hood.

As for the corners. I did not have Curtis Brown rated as highly as some others. I usually go on the game film and his film was okay. Good zone corner, not so much in man, looked like a slot guy more than anything. But, he took to coaching at the senior bowl, stayed low in his backpedal, has great hips and explosion out of his cuts, and showed a more physical game. He also showed better hands at the combine than he did on film. IF we get the player at the Senior Bowl, we will be happy.

Cortez Allen is a height, weight, speed guy that is raw. He will take some time and patience.

I think Gilbert can play RG as a rookie. He is big and strong enough. He played guard and tackle at Florida. I think he can start at RG and move out to RT when Flozell hangs them up. I do not see him as a LT. Williams has some things to like. He moves better than his workout numbers show. He is nasty and finishes. He is a good combo block guy, gets to the 2nd level, struggles to get his target the farther out he gets, but is decent within 8-10 yards of the LOS. He can pull....surprised me with his quick drop and turn. He will fall off blocks and get caught chasing when working games. He needs some technique work and has to develop his recognition.

Batch is a high character guy with some good football skills, just beaten up by injury.

The thing is, when you look at the roster, each of these picks has a chance to stick. At end, Eason is not the answer and Hood stepped up as the #3. So, you plug in Heyward for Eason. At OT/OG swing, Essex is a FA. Williams will battle with Scott and Foster for a roster/starting spot. If nothing else, it is competition. At corner, Brown replaces Gay who is a free agent. Allen will fight with Keenan Lewis for his spot and Anthony Madison is also a free agent. We cut Gibson and Fox is a free agent, so Carter should stick. Batch replaces Moore.

Each of these guys has a shot to stick on this roster and IMO, guys like Brown, Gilbert, and Batch could contribute some as rookies.

Moose
05-01-2011, 05:11 PM
As I said in my 1st reply, it will take a few years to see if this was a good draft or not. I'm not coming down on them and saying this draft wasn't good, but we don't know yet if it was or wasn't. Will any of these players take the place of one of our vets ? We don't know. A good chance some of these players won't even be around in the Black/Gold in 5 yrs. As our HometownGal said, TC and playing a few reps will tell some stories which will help us evaluate their play. My faith is in the FO and their football, draft, and skills knowledge.

The Duke
05-01-2011, 05:47 PM
This draft will have little impact this season. Heyward might take more snaps than Ziggy did his rookie season. Chris Carter could be plugged in only if Harrison gets hurt.

Ben will be alright. He is 1 more year seasoned and with Arians he has control to do what he wants so stop blaming to Oline. I would like to have seen a TE to replace Spaeth but after DJ Williams was gone in the 3rd there was no one worth taking.

All in all if the pass rush is improved, more pressure throws from opposing QBs that dont have Bens ability to escape, can help DBs create turnovers. Worilds and Sylvester could mix things up a bit in the rotation.

Man, I did not realized we drafted no tight end. Spaeth is a lucky bastard, lol

Hopefully when FA starts we get jeff king

My favorite draft pick is obviously Heyward. Every game I watched him last year he was unstoppable. I had him going to the browns since early in the year but have seen his stock going down a little bit since then. Never thought he'd fall all the way to us though, and when he was available the pick was obvious

besides him I love Allen, mainly for the similarities to Ike

X-Terminator
05-01-2011, 06:45 PM
I talked up Chris Carter pretty hard, so he would probably be my favorite pick. People always ask if they can drop and cover when talking about OLBs for the 3-4 and while that is great, if they cannot rush the passer, coverage does not matter. If we wanted cover guys outside, we would draft normal OLBs. Carter is a pass rusher. I look for three things in a pass rusher: speed, explosiveness, and the ability to turn the corner. Well, Carter ran a 4.58 at the combine. His KEI is 73. He is one of the best guys off the snap in this draft. As for the corner, he will give a little dip inside and explode to the edge, flatten his back, and drive off his outside foot. He can do this from either side, which is pretty rare. He also finishes. So, I really like the pick, one of my favorite OLB conversions in this draft.

Cam Heyward was great value at the end of the first. He is big and strong. He is a hard worker, holds the point, just a good football player. He should fit right in this locker room and I expect him to take huge steps in his 2nd season. I think he comes quicker than Hood did and it appears the light has come on for Hood.

As for the corners. I did not have Curtis Brown rated as highly as some others. I usually go on the game film and his film was okay. Good zone corner, not so much in man, looked like a slot guy more than anything. But, he took to coaching at the senior bowl, stayed low in his backpedal, has great hips and explosion out of his cuts, and showed a more physical game. He also showed better hands at the combine than he did on film. IF we get the player at the Senior Bowl, we will be happy.

Cortez Allen is a height, weight, speed guy that is raw. He will take some time and patience.

I think Gilbert can play RG as a rookie. He is big and strong enough. He played guard and tackle at Florida. I think he can start at RG and move out to RT when Flozell hangs them up. I do not see him as a LT. Williams has some things to like. He moves better than his workout numbers show. He is nasty and finishes. He is a good combo block guy, gets to the 2nd level, struggles to get his target the farther out he gets, but is decent within 8-10 yards of the LOS. He can pull....surprised me with his quick drop and turn. He will fall off blocks and get caught chasing when working games. He needs some technique work and has to develop his recognition.

Batch is a high character guy with some good football skills, just beaten up by injury.

The thing is, when you look at the roster, each of these picks has a chance to stick. At end, Eason is not the answer and Hood stepped up as the #3. So, you plug in Heyward for Eason. At OT/OG swing, Essex is a FA. Williams will battle with Scott and Foster for a roster/starting spot. If nothing else, it is competition. At corner, Brown replaces Gay who is a free agent. Allen will fight with Keenan Lewis for his spot and Anthony Madison is also a free agent. We cut Gibson and Fox is a free agent, so Carter should stick. Batch replaces Moore.

Each of these guys has a shot to stick on this roster and IMO, guys like Brown, Gilbert, and Batch could contribute some as rookies.

Very solid post.

CPanther95
05-02-2011, 05:25 PM
My favorites were the ones in 1974. ;)