PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Grab RB Baron Batch in 7th Round

stillers4me
04-30-2011, 09:31 PM
So it ends. The 2011 NFL Draft is over, the Steelers stayed put for every one of their selections, and wrapped it all up by taking Texas Tech RB Baron Batch 232nd overall.

Here’s Mike Mayock’s take:
“I’m so happy that young man got drafted. You want to talk about a kid who has had to deal with an awful lot off the field. To come back — not just off the field but on-the-field injuries — and what he’s gone through in his lifetime.

“I love where he ended up being drafted. The Pittsburgh Steelers, one of the best locker rooms in the league. … Baron’s coming out of a spread offense, this is a tough kid … and he just keeps coming back. The Pittsburgh Steelers love this kind of story, so I’m really excited for Baron Batch, and I’m really excited for what he can bring to the Steelers.”..............

Read more @ http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/04/steelers-grab-rb-baron-batch-7th/

st33lersguy
04-30-2011, 10:00 PM
They grab a RB they didn't need with Ian Williams available

Psycho Ward 86
04-30-2011, 10:05 PM

Ian Williams wouldn't be able to hold one of Casey hampton's testicles. You probably would be bitching more if Hampton was gone and we drafted Williams.

tihmtahm
05-01-2011, 01:32 AM
Is it just me or does he make everybody else look like they're moving in slow motion? That kid is fast!!

Texasteel
05-01-2011, 05:51 AM
This is a quality kid that they want to hold down the 3rd down back job. Was this a high priority? Well if it was, they didn't address it soon enough. I don't know if this kid will make the team or not. I would say the odds are not really good, but I would say that the odds of a 7th round NT, OT, WR, or LB would be even worse. The kid is just what we are looking at, a 7th round pick that the people that run the team thought needed to be looked at a little more. I hope the kid make the team and does a very good job, but if he doesn't he will be not different that about 80% of the other 7th rounders, and probably not different that any other 7th rounder we could have taken.

Give the kid a chance. He will be living a dream, at least for a little while.

TroysBarber
05-01-2011, 06:23 AM

I'm pretty sure that Mewelde Moore is a free agent. If Moore isn't signed, then 3rd down RB would be a need. Batch can run and catch. If he can block, then he'd be a nice pick for us IMO

wvsportsman
05-01-2011, 06:47 AM
Well, I don't know about you all, but after reading his story and all he's been through in his young life, I have to
root hard for him to make the team and do well! Good luck Baron and God bless.

HometownGal
05-01-2011, 07:20 AM
Give the kid a chance. He will be living a dream, at least for a little while.

Exactly. :applaudit: Who knows - he could surprise us!

GBMelBlount
05-01-2011, 07:46 AM
Wow.

How could you not be in this kid's corner.

Good luck Baron!

SMR
05-01-2011, 07:50 AM
Is it just me or does he make everybody else look like they're moving in slow motion? That kid is fast!!
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. I was watching the vids on him and DANG! the kid can ran! lol

Burghfan58
05-01-2011, 09:03 AM
After watching his highlight reel I'm impressed. He hits the holes fast and keeps his legs driving after contact. Plus he can catch out of the backfield. Looks good for a number 7 pick.

LLT
05-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Wow...much faster than his official 4.50 time would make you believe. VERY nice.

the only real concern that I have is that he seems to hit the hole completely upright instead of lowering his pads...nothing a little coaching wont take care of.

tihmtahm
05-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Wow...much faster than his official 4.50 time would make you believe. VERY nice.

the only real concern that I have is that he seems to hit the hole completely upright instead of lowering his pads...nothing a little coaching wont take care of.

I completely agree that coaching will help him iron out those little things. Call me crazy, but he kinda reminds me of the way Barry Sanders ran...