PDA

View Full Version : Harris: Heyward selection sign of things to come

stillers4me
04-30-2011, 07:55 AM
Ziggy Hood. Now Cameron Heyward. Meet the second defensive end selected by the Steelers in the first round covering their last three drafts, which is more of a trend than a coincidence.

Which means it's time to re-read a passage from my column appearing three years ago, a day after the Steelers selected Rashard Mendenhall in the first round despite Pro Bowl running back Willie Parker's monster season of 1,316 rushing yards:
"The clock on Parker's career with the Steelers is now officially ticking toward its inevitable conclusion.''

Parker totaled 1,180 yards in his final two seasons with the Steelers. When the team opted not to re-sign him following the 2009 season, it became Mendenhall's job to lose.
Now, replace Parker's name with Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel. Preparing for the future at defensive end also means preparing to say good-bye..............

read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_734766.html

86WARD
04-30-2011, 08:04 AM
Smith and Keisel should be around for a couple more seasons...even Smith as a part time player is better than a lot of 3-4 DE's. Heyward will eventually replace Smith and Hood will replace Keisel.

Count Steeler
04-30-2011, 08:38 AM
No disrespect to Smith and Keisel, but I'd rather have young, up and comers than veterans sailing off into the sunset. Smith's physical body just may not allow him to play anymore. He has been a warrior and a pillar of our defense, but time is taking it's toll on him. Smith and Keisel may be in their last seasons.

Farrior, also, had a great season last year, but he is getting to that age where we could see a dramatic fall off.

It sure sucks that as we grow older, our bodies just can't keep up with younger ones.

ALLD
04-30-2011, 10:22 AM
As we grow older it takes much longer to recover. The beating during the regular season & playoffs ultimately takes its toll. It's biology and physics.