PDA

View Full Version : CB Curtis Brown: Why Steelers Fans Should Be Excited

stillers4me
04-30-2011, 07:35 AM
Howdy, fellow Steelers diehards. My name is Peter Bean, and I am, in no particular order: (1) a diehard Pittsburgh Steelers fan, (2) the older brother of our fearless leader here at BTSC, and (3) a Texas Longhorns diehard. If you love college football and follow the Longhorns, you may know of my sister SB Nation site, Burnt Orange Nation (http://www.burntorangenation.com/).
In other words: I might be the most qualified individual in the universe to write on a Steelers blog about a draft pick who played his college ball at the University of Texas. Mike asked me to say a few words on Curtis Brown, Pittsburgh's third-round draft pick, and I'm more than happy to oblige.

To begin with, let's start with what my brother notes (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/4/29/2144148/2011-nfl-draft-results-steelers-curtis-brown-cornerback-texas) as "the one knock on Brown: his diminutive size." I don't necessarily take issue with Michael's characterization of Brown's size, generally speaking, but the follow-up question I'd insist needs to be asked is: "Relative to what?"

Curtis Brown certainly may look diminutive, but first of all, that's in part a reflection of his body type, and second and more importantly, at 6-0, 185 lbs, Brown's size isn't a limiting factor. Don't just take my word for it, though. Take a gander at the six cornerbacks who made the 2011 Pro Bowl: Darrelle Revis (5-11, 198), Devin McCourty (5-10, 193), Champ Bailey (6-0, 192), DeAngelo Hall (5-10, 192), Brent Grimes (5-10, 181) and Antoine Winfield (5-9, 180). Their average height: 5-11. Their average weight: 190 pounds. Which is to say: If Curtis Brown doesn't make it as a corner in this league, it won't be because he's too small..................

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/601582/Curtis_Brown_Combine

Not a photoshop.

Read more @ http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/4/30/2144387/cb-curtis-brown-pittsburgh-steelers-draft-texas-longhorns

86WARD
04-30-2011, 08:05 AM
We are. One of the better cover corners in the draft...

Iron Steeler
04-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Meh... I still need some convincing. Kinda upset we didnt take Harris or Dowling earlier

Burghfan58
04-30-2011, 09:51 AM
Meh... I still need some convincing. Kinda upset we didnt take Harris or Dowling earlier

Harris was picked a few picks before the Steelers 2nd pick. Don't know if he was on the Steelers radar for their second pick but if he was they lost out and then decided to go with Gilbert from FLA.

Psycho Ward 86
04-30-2011, 09:55 AM

we had no shot at Dowling. 1st pick of the 2nd round? We would have had to give up a lot, and we cant afford to do that this year with a lot of areas we need to cover

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-30-2011, 10:06 AM
I like the Brown pick. The guy has quickness more than speed and his 39.5" vertical is just an example of the fast twitch muscle he has. Got a good chance to have some young guys step up and develop further with Brown, Butler, Lewis hopefully adding to the vets. I think if Ike can be signed, then either Gay or McFadden could become a cap casualty.

SteelerEmpire
04-30-2011, 11:14 AM
That's Curtis Brown. Steelers fans shouldn't expect a polished shutdown corner who's ready to play every down from his rookie season on. But they should see in his profile the kind of potential that gives Pittsburgh a shot at grabbing a first-round talent before he's been able to put it all together.

OK. Now lets see if we can get 1 or 2 that's ready to play for the 2011 season.... which I think is the objective here. Its starting to look like our most solid hope for a "ready now" CB is gonna come from a free agent or trade... Gay and McFadden are sitting back and laughing right now... lol.

Psycho Ward 86
04-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Gay and McFadden are sitting back and laughing right now... lol.

And that's what scares us haha

Iron Steeler
04-30-2011, 01:30 PM
we had no shot at Dowling. 1st pick of the 2nd round? We would have had to give up a lot, and we cant afford to do that this year with a lot of areas we need to cover

Totally understand that. I would have been happy if we took Dowling in the first, then go DE in the second. Thats just me.

SteelerEmpire
04-30-2011, 01:35 PM
This guy just may have the best hands of all our CB's and can possibly jump the highest. If our speed trainer gets a hold of him AND new coach Lake (one of the best DB's ever) can teach him ALL the little tricks that he knows, this kid has 'very' high potential...

Count Steeler
04-30-2011, 01:38 PM
This draft and the addition of Lake has taken our "weak" secondary to a unit that we will soon be proud of. Especially if Taylor decides to stay.

st33lersguy
04-30-2011, 02:11 PM
Underdeveloped? Wasn't Jamian Stephens also underdeveloped?

Psycho Ward 86
04-30-2011, 02:11 PM
Totally understand that. I would have been happy if we took Dowling in the first, then go DE in the second. Thats just me.

me too, but Cam is gonna be something else! I think he'll be better than Ziggy.

SteelerEmpire
04-30-2011, 02:33 PM
WillDePaoli Will DePaoli

Lake on Ike Taylor: "If we can somehow find a way to get Ike back & get Curtis involved, that will strengthen an already strong secondary.''

I see he's already thinking what I was thinking... lol.

SMR
04-30-2011, 02:36 PM
Same here.

SteelerEmpire
04-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire

Same here.

Yep. According to the above quote looks like Lake "wants" him to start, so this guy may very well be are #2 CB...He just now has to reach out and take it... This vid give more info on him...:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrA1SAU0UCU&feature=related

Psycho Ward 86
04-30-2011, 05:50 PM
Yep. According to the above quote looks like Lake "wants" him to start, so this guy may very well be are #2 CB...He just now has to reach out and take it... This vid give more info on him...:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrA1SAU0UCU&feature=related

Wants to go up against Randy Moss? Love it