PDA

View Full Version : Strategy after the first 3 rounds - BPA

oneforthetoe
04-29-2011, 11:50 PM
The Steelers BPA more than just about any other team in the league. In the first three rounds, save for maybe Cameron, I don't believe we did. We drafted for need and did a fine job of it, imo. So, at this point I have to think that we address the rest of the draft strictly with the BPA approach. Of course, no team strictly drafts BPA -that would be insane. "Hey, the best two players left are kickers, let's draft them both?" So, obviously, it is BPA within your team plan. In addition, I don't think you should ever draft a player for the PS. Drafted players always end up on the PS, but I think always drafting a guy (BPA) with the thought that he could make the team is the correct approach. UDRFA (if we can ever sign them) are the guys you bring in with the PS in mind. So, it is confusing because you are taking a BPA approach, but sort of a modified one that considers other factors.

With all that in mind, how will the Steelers add (if at all) players at all the positions? I'm asking those that respond to list whether the Steelers are likely to find a BPA at that position, or bring in a UDRFA, or FA, or likely to do nothing at all?

QB- nothing

RB - outside chance of BPA, more likely UDRFA

WR - no roster spaces left. A few UDRFA spots possible.

FB- HA Ha ... not a chance, unless there is a TE next to the guys name.

TE- never say never with Bruce Almighty, but UDRFA or low value FA more likely.

C - nah we are set. And with the big Legursky as a back-up we do nothing -unless the guy also plays guard.

G - Definitely could be a BPA, FA, or UDRFA .

OT - Unlikely BPA, unless he plays G. Same with FA. UDRFA for PS possible.. If "The House" comes back there are not going to be many open spots.

DE- No room. Nothing else done unless UDRFA for PS

NT - Big need for future but little room on the roster (we are going to have a 3rd year player and a rookie already on a roster of only six d 'linemen) so unlikely BPA. UDRFA for PS a possibility.

Outside backer - I will never say no to BPA at outside backer. Same with UDRFA or FA.

Inside backer - see above - and there have only been a few taken so far.

Corner - Good possibility of BPA, UDRFA or a FA (especially if no Ike).

Safety - This to me is the most likely position left in the draft to find a BPA. I think only five have been taken. We need safety help as well. Naturally, UDRFA here and also a very likely spot for a FA.

Kicker - could BPA after the 5th. Likely UDRFA - FA.

Punter - Kasponis will come in i guess as a FA to compete with Sep?

So any thought?

Craic
04-30-2011, 12:16 AM
Honestly, for spots 4-7, I don't see a place for most of them to come in and stick. I have always thought that these rounds are places to take flyers on kids from small schools that might do very well, or reach if necessary just to make sure we get a guy we want, such as a kicker or punter. The only place I see anyone making the team and displacing someone else out of the last 4 picks is at safety and CB. For that reason, I'd have no problem at all with taking a kicker with our fourth round pick, as it is so low anyway that it is basically a fifth rounder. I'd also have no problem (was kidding yesterday, actually serious today), bunching 5, 6, 7, and moving up in the fourth to pick up another CB or a safety. Well, scratch that. How about a 6th and 7th. I'd like to keep a fifth for a kicker.

As far as wasting a spot for a 10-15 play FB position. There is no reason. We have three guys on this team that can trade in and out for that position, as well as play others. Drafting a true FB would be a waste of a draft pick, cap money, and roster spot.

oneforthetoe
04-30-2011, 01:45 AM
I think most 4-7 will not turn into pro bowlers, but some do and many of the rest do stick and contribute. My point is you should draft from the perceptive that they will because you can find that diamond in the rough.

For example:

Aaron Smith 4th rounder.
Brett Keisel 7th round.
Chris Kemoeatu 6th round
Willie Colon 4th round
Antonio Brown 6th round.
Ike Taylor round 4

I could go on. I'm not suggesting that all of them will be great players, but the list of contributors drafted after the third round is pretty big for the Steelers.

The Duke
04-30-2011, 02:09 AM
Only need I see them drafting is kicker. Everything else is gravy

perhaps guard but I doubt one drafted here ends up starting soon. Unless it's zach hurd, but I think he will stop falling soon

Texasteel
04-30-2011, 05:30 AM
This is one reason Cannon is still attractive to me. 3 weeks ago he was a sure starter in his first year and I still see on some boards that he is still consider one of the better O-linemen. I don't really know how bad his medical condition is, but if he sit and does nothing for 3 years he has at least replaced Tony Hill.

stillers4me
04-30-2011, 07:27 AM
I wouldn't mind taking a TE and a RB. Colbert is a master at seeing what other teams overlook and I'd love to replace Spaeth and with Tomlin's "run the wheels off the RB' philosophy and Rashards intermittetent but oh so badly timed fumbles, a diamond inthe rough RB doesn't sound like such a bad idea.

Last year, I was scratching my head over the Sanders and Brown pick. It turns out those picks were pure genius.