PDA

View Full Version : Curtis Brown ( DB ) in 3rd round

Moose
04-29-2011, 09:23 PM
Comes from Texas ( Big 12). 6.0' @ 185 lbs. Not real sure on this pick. Strengths says he has excellent speed and can develope into a quality CB. Should be able to play immediately in nickel and dime packages. However one of his weaknesses that has to be corrected right away was a statement that he can be burned by ball fakes, does not show the ability to break down ball carriers and is a bit of an ARM TACKLER !! UGH !! Don't we have that crap already with our CB's ?? Giving 10yrd cushions then trying to push the receiver out of bounds once they catch the ball !!

Merchant
04-29-2011, 09:30 PM
You can't really judge the kid off of a brief paragraph written by one scout. Having watched quite a few Texas games this past season, I'm excited about this pick. Yes, he has to work on his tackling, but I think he's very good in coverage which is what we need right now.

Craic
04-29-2011, 09:31 PM
Comes from Texas ( Big 12). 6.0' @ 185 lbs. Not real sure on this pick. Strengths says he has excellent speed and can develope into a quality CB. Should be able to play immediately in nickel and dime packages. However one of his weaknesses that has to be corrected right away was a statement that he can be burned by ball fakes, does not show the ability to break down ball carriers and is a bit of an ARM TACKLER !! UGH !! Don't we have that crap already with our CB's ?? Giving 10yrd cushions then trying to push the receiver out of bounds once they catch the ball !!

Sigh. No. We don't. We have SCHEME that says our CB's MUST play ten yards off the ball. That is Dick LeBeau's call. It has nothing to do with who we have as CB.

As far as tackling is concerned, what CB pushes receivers out of bounds instead of tackling them? Since our CB's all have run duties as well, they HAVE TO BE tacklers, or they get cut.

SteelerEmpire
04-29-2011, 09:41 PM
Here's a quote from NBCSports as well:

Analysis:
Brown was perhaps just Texas' third best DB last year, behind Aaron Williams and Chykie Brown. Curtis picked off two passes in his college career, isn't built for run support, and was really at his best when covering kickoffs and punts on special teams. This could be another Keenan Lewis/Joe Burnett pick for the Steelers.

I guess we'll just have to see on this one...

Moose
04-29-2011, 09:56 PM
What CB pushes receiver out of bounds instead of tackling.... uuummm, let's see- I've seen McFadden get burned and pushes instead of tackling quite a few times. And I'm not sure I believe the 10yrd cushion theory.

Craic
04-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Here's a quote from NBCSports as well:

I guess we'll just have to see on this one...

Yep, but that's the same for everyone. I also read somewhere that he was a second/third rounder. According to that write up, he was a steal.

Moose
04-29-2011, 09:59 PM
I agree. This one is going to be a sit back and watch him pick. I have full trust in our FO, so hopefully he was a steal. We need the youth for sure.

7willBheaven
04-29-2011, 10:00 PM
Solid pick. That is all, haha.

JayC
04-29-2011, 10:04 PM
saw some cowboys fans liked him and wanted him 71st overall, since they get to watch texas longhorn games i think they would know if he's decent. i like it but we'll never know until a year or 2 from now most likely

X-Terminator
04-29-2011, 10:41 PM
The tackling issue is a concern, but the bottom line is that in LeBeau's system, if you can't tackle, you aren't getting on the field. That is something that LeBeau and Carnell Lake will work with him on, because he seems to have quite a bit of talent and the speed to play the position.

Galax Steeler
04-30-2011, 04:40 AM
I think he will be a good corner for us. From what I have seen from him, he can play ball we will see what he can do at the next level.

Burghfan58
04-30-2011, 09:56 AM
I'm praying he turns out to be a better pick than our last two picks from Texas, Tony Hills and Limas Sweed.

ALLD
04-30-2011, 10:16 AM
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!!! I heard we traded him for a new washer & dryer in the locker room.