PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Gilbert 2nd round

Moose
04-29-2011, 08:43 PM
From the Florida Gators, Offensive Tackle/Guard. From what I've read, he too seems like a decent player from a good background. Has good stats from Florida. Now we'll see what he can do in the Black/Gold. Goes around 330 lbs. Interesting pick though, I guess with the injuries and surgery of Starks, Colon it's better to be safe....plus I like the youth movement coming in the ranks.

Merchant
04-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Steelers go OT with a high pick. Unusual. I like it.

Steeldude
04-29-2011, 09:35 PM
http://nfldraft.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?statsid=139627#scouting

Positives: Has very long arms, a massive frame and is a $25 dollar cab ride to get around. Fluid in his shuffle, slide and mirror and carries his weight well for a big man. Is athletic enough to pull and work up a level. Flashes some power in his hands. Functional positional run blocker who walls off and seals.

Negatives: Lacks physical and mental toughness and too often looks for an easy way out. Has a lazy streak and gets by on his natural talent. Plays too soft and catches. Not a puncher and does not use his long arms to create extension. Soft sets and gives ground to anchor. Not a finisher. Plays with the temperament of a chardonnay drinker. Marginal functional strength and power. Tends to bend at the waist, lean and upper-body maul defenders. Questionable stamina and tempo. Easily influenced follower. Will take time to adjust to an NFL playbook.

Summary: A flash player who will tease with his sheer mass and athletic ability but may not have enough grit, toughness and desire to survive the everyday grind in the NFL’s trenches. Has played on both sides and would most ideally be suited in a backup swing role.

tube517
04-29-2011, 09:58 PM
He actually played some OG in his 1st 2 years and replaced Pouncey at OG, when he moved to center.

JayC
04-29-2011, 10:06 PM
as long as there aren't any tony hills comparisons in the near future ill be happy

stillers4me
04-29-2011, 10:13 PM
Plays with the temperament of a chardonnay drinker.

whiskey tango foxtrot????????

SteelerFanInStl
04-29-2011, 10:20 PM

Positives: Has very long arms, a massive frame and is a $25 dollar cab ride to get around. Fluid in his shuffle, slide and mirror and carries his weight well for a big man. Is athletic enough to pull and work up a level. Flashes some power in his hands. Functional positional run blocker who walls off and seals.

Negatives: Lacks physical and mental toughness and too often looks for an easy way out. Has a lazy streak and gets by on his natural talent. Plays too soft and catches. Not a puncher and does not use his long arms to create extension. Soft sets and gives ground to anchor. Not a finisher. Plays with the temperament of a chardonnay drinker. Marginal functional strength and power. Tends to bend at the waist, lean and upper-body maul defenders. Questionable stamina and tempo. Easily influenced follower. Will take time to adjust to an NFL playbook.

Summary: A flash player who will tease with his sheer mass and athletic ability but may not have enough grit, toughness and desire to survive the everyday grind in the NFL’s trenches. Has played on both sides and would most ideally be suited in a backup swing role.

Damn, he sounds like Starks. :(

X-Terminator
04-29-2011, 10:37 PM
Damn, he sounds like Starks. :(

Give Kugler a week and he'll toughen the kid up.

I personally like the pick. You are not going to get a top-5 talent at T late in the 2nd round - they all come with certain issues. They'd neglected the OL for so long that it is nice to see them address needs there with high draft picks in each of the last 2 seasons.

stillers4me
04-29-2011, 10:48 PM
We've gotten some studs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Woodley in the 2nd, Wallace and Sanders in the 3rd. Antonio Brown wasn't taken until the 6th. In Colbert I trust.

Psycho Ward 86
04-29-2011, 11:18 PM

Well...that's one way to write a scouting report...

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-30-2011, 09:54 AM

As others have said, sounds like Starks did. I am really not a fan of this pick as he looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane. When put on the same field as other top prospects at the Senior Bowl, he didnt impress. At the very least he is a longer term project and a RT. I dont think he can bend his knees and maintain decent pad level to be an OG.

All I can hope it that this kid overachieves, because he is a Steeler now. Welcome to the nation Marcus.

ALLD
04-30-2011, 10:19 AM
If he doesn't produce he will be run out of town faster than you can say "Tommy Gun"!

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-30-2011, 06:12 PM
If he doesn't produce he will be run out of town faster than you can say "Tommy Gun"! just like Tony Hills

tube517
04-30-2011, 06:22 PM
or Alonzo Jackson

just like Tony Hills

GBMelBlount
04-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Give Kugler a week and he'll toughen the kid up.

I personally like the pick. You are not going to get a top-5 talent at T late in the 2nd round - they all come with certain issues. They'd neglected the OL for so long that it is nice to see them address needs there with high draft picks in each of the last 2 seasons.

Exactly right on both points XT but admittedly if there is one "issue" that concerns me most it is when a player lacks intensity and attitude as we've seen with Starks.

Regardless, I have no problem with this pick. We needed to upgrade and deepen the line and he was the last top tier lineman available from what I've read...

Plus we still got a nice DB in the 3rd and another possible DB in the 4th.