PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Right to Take Heyward, Must Go CB in Round 2

stillers4me
04-29-2011, 05:08 AM
The Steelers desperately need upgrades at No. 2 and No. 3 cornerback even if veteran free agent Ike Taylor is re-signed. As usual, however, the Steelers made the correct call in selecting Ohio State defensive end Cameron Heyward with the 31st pick, easily the best player left in the draft, instead of reaching for Texas CB Aaron Williams or undersized Miami CB Brandon Harris.

Among the four Steelers’ 7-round mock drafts I posted Thursday (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/04/2011-pittsburgh-steelers-final-mock-draft-versions-6a-6b-6c-6d/#more-5032), Heyward was my first-round pick in the version that called for the Steelers to take the best player available (BPA). Here was my reasoning and I think the Steelers’ front office agreed:

1. DE Cameron Heyward, 6-5, 295, Ohio State: The Steelers appear to be in good shape at defensive end for 2011. Brett Keisel is coming off his first Pro Bowl selection, Ziggy Hood is maturing into a fine NFL player after he started the second-half of the season in his second year, and veteran standout Aaron Smith is saying he would like to play two more seasons..............

Read more @ http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/04/steelers-correct-pick-heyward-cb-2/

Vis
04-29-2011, 07:09 AM
... and veteran standout Aaron Smith is saying he would like to play the first couple of games of two more seasons..............

Now it's accurate.

steeldevil
04-29-2011, 09:37 AM
I agree with the article. We simply have to take a CB we like in the 2nd. I would like to see us trade up and get the Colbert and Tomlin like best.

SteelGhost
04-29-2011, 10:20 AM
The Steelers desperately need upgrades at No. 2 and No. 3 cornerback even if veteran free agent Ike Taylor is re-signed. As usual, however, the Steelers made the correct call in selecting Ohio State defensive end Cameron Heyward with the 31st pick, easily the best player left in the draft, instead of reaching for Texas CB Aaron Williams or undersized Miami CB Brandon Harris.

Among the four Steelers’ 7-round mock drafts I posted Thursday (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/04/2011-pittsburgh-steelers-final-mock-draft-versions-6a-6b-6c-6d/#more-5032), Heyward was my first-round pick in the version that called for the Steelers to take the best player available (BPA). Here was my reasoning and I think the Steelers’ front office agreed:

1. DE Cameron Heyward, 6-5, 295, Ohio State: The Steelers appear to be in good shape at defensive end for 2011. Brett Keisel is coming off his first Pro Bowl selection, Ziggy Hood is maturing into a fine NFL player after he started the second-half of the season in his second year, and veteran standout Aaron Smith is saying he would like to play two more seasons..............
Read more @ http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/04/steelers-correct-pick-heyward-cb-2/

I'd be VERY happy if Aaron can play ONE more injury-free season :thumbsup:

Craic
04-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Now it's accurate.

:lol: I keep saying it. I think Smith should take a bit of a pay cut, and relegate himself to backup. Let Ziggy come in and be the starter now. He has earn his shot. That way, Smith can come in late in games, or even start a couple games here and there, especially late in the season.

It'll prolong Smith's career by at least 2 years, give us so more money to go after some of the other players, and give Ziggy what he's earned.

Also, they need to chain Heyward to Smith on the sidelines. Let Smith get into his ear after every play. "Did you see that?" "Watch what Diesel's going to do here." "You see the offense, quick, what's coming?"

I think he'd be a valuable contributor.

oneforthetoe
04-29-2011, 03:40 PM
I agree with the article. We simply have to take a CB we like in the 2nd. I would like to see us trade up and get the Colbert and Tomlin like best.

I agree it is a priority to get a CB. However, I don't like using the term must. If there isn't a cb that meets our criteria, and we can't find another team that will not swap picks with us to move up without asking us to "bend over," then you have to look elsewhere. Part of the Steelers drafting success is in not panicking and throwing away picks by reaching.

The Duke
04-29-2011, 03:57 PM
:lol: I keep saying it. I think Smith should take a bit of a pay cut, and relegate himself to backup. Let Ziggy come in and be the starter now. He has earn his shot. That way, Smith can come in late in games, or even start a couple games here and there, especially late in the season.

It'll prolong Smith's career by at least 2 years, give us so more money to go after some of the other players, and give Ziggy what he's earned.

Also, they need to chain Heyward to Smith on the sidelines. Let Smith get into his ear after every play. "Did you see that?" "Watch what Diesel's going to do here." "You see the offense, quick, what's coming?"

I think he'd be a valuable contributor.

Man I hope so!

having him here as a valuable backup and teacher is way better. Can't have Heyward develop without Smith's guidance for at least a year

Godfather
04-29-2011, 06:14 PM
I wouldn't mind getting Drake Nevis in the second round. We need to find and groom Bog Snack's successor.

Chidi29
04-29-2011, 07:47 PM
I wouldn't mind getting Drake Nevis in the second round. We need to find and groom Bog Snack's successor.

Nevis is definitely not a nose tackle.