PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Cameron Heyward!!!

Merchant
04-28-2011, 10:37 PM
I'm happy with the pick. Age on the D-Line was a growing concern. The kid looks solid.

Moose
04-28-2011, 10:41 PM
Gotta agree with you Merchant. Everything I read on the kid seems favorable. Seems like a hard worker, well liked by teammates, learns plays well. No trouble issues. Comes from a football family. Now we'll just have to see what Coach Tomlin and the crew can do with him and where he'll end up in years to come.

stillers4me
04-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Did you see he was crying? Picked by the Pittsburgh Steelers....wow.

And on a related note, AJ. Green did not look too thrilled.......:lol:

SteelerEmpire
04-28-2011, 10:51 PM
He's 'very' good in his position.... the Defense is aging, the time to start the overhaul is now....

kmsteelerwr15
04-28-2011, 10:52 PM
I absolutely love this pick

XxKnightxX
04-28-2011, 10:56 PM
Hope He does a lot of this, and Stuff the run and Sack the QB as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7qF6ioDj8U

Steeldude
04-29-2011, 02:59 AM
Hope He does a lot of this, and Stuff the run and Sack the QB as well.

i doubt you will see many sacks from him. he wasn't much of a pass rusher in college. with the steelers' scheme he won't be seeing much of the QB. i am hoping he gains weight so he can hold up in the run department.

Strengths:
• Outstanding size w/ long arms and a large frame
• Terrific athleticism with pro football bloodlines
• Is relatively quick and agile for such a big man
• Physical and very powerful with excellent strength
• Is stout at the point of attack and can anchor
• Superb bull rusher capable of getting a nice push
• Displays great leverage and is a solid technician
• Violent hand use and able to stack and shed blocks
• A dependable tackler who really packs a punch
• Disrupts passing lanes if he gets stymied at line
• Competitive and aggressive with a non-stop motor
• Top football IQ with great instincts and awareness
• Tough, durable and will play through pain / injuries
• Will offer both positional and schematic versatility
• Mature and a leader with a tremendous work ethic
• A ton of experience against high-quality competition

Weaknesses:
• Is not very explosive, lacking elite speed and a burst
• Ordinary pass rusher and not much of a threat off edge
• Must develop some additional pass rush moves / counters
• Range is limited and isn't overly comfortable in space
• Will get washed out of play due to narrow base at times
• Wasn't over productive, specifically in sack department
• Inconsistent on a play-to-play and week-to-week basis

Galax Steeler
04-29-2011, 03:43 AM
I was hoping we would go corner but hey I will trust the front office he looks like a Steeler to me.

crcsnail
04-29-2011, 04:47 AM
i like the pick . mt seems very happy they got him .

HometownGal
04-29-2011, 06:08 AM
I will trust the front office he looks like a Steeler to me.

:drink: Me too.

Welcome Cameron! :drink: :applaudit:

43Hitman
04-29-2011, 06:20 AM
I was hoping we would go corner but hey I will trust the front office he looks like a Steeler to me.

:drink: Me too.

Welcome Cameron! :drink: :applaudit:

I'm with y'all.

Count Steeler
04-29-2011, 06:29 AM
Looks like the Steelers are shoring up the line of scrimmage again. Nice pick, seems like a solid young man. Adds depth to an aging line. He seems to fit in the Steelers family.

Burghfan58
04-29-2011, 06:33 AM
Triple HHH Hampton, Hood and Heyward

SteelerSal
04-29-2011, 07:06 AM
1st Round Draft Pick Press Conference
Head Coach Mike Tomlin and Director of Football Operations Kevin Colbert addressed the media immediately following their first pick of the 2011 NFL Draft. Cameron Heyward, a Defensive End/Tackle out of The Ohio State.

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/1st-Round-Draft-Pick-Press-Conference/a96d6cc3-ed3a-44fe-ba50-871d8c611c5e

venom
04-29-2011, 07:12 AM
A Pittsburgh kid going back home -cant beat that

86WARD
04-29-2011, 07:18 AM
PERFECT fit for the Steelers. I'm VERY VERY VERY happy with this pick. CB me in the 2nd...move up and take Williams or Ras-I!

tube517
04-29-2011, 09:46 AM
The more I read, the more I like the pick. After watching the PC w/Colbert and Mike T, they really wanted him and he fell in their lap. They only took 3.5 seconds to get the pick in.

NJarhead
04-29-2011, 10:12 AM
I loved it from the get go, but when I saw (read) how excited Colbert was about it, I got even more excited myself. Great start in this draft for the Black and Gold! :tt03:

SteelGhost
04-29-2011, 10:15 AM
In The Black and Gold FO I trust and I like the pick a lot, we need young blood at DE, now we HAVE to add depth to the secondary :thumbsup:

NJarhead
04-29-2011, 10:59 AM
In The Black and Gold FO I trust and I like the pick a lot, we need young blood at DE, now we HAVE to add depth to the secondary :thumbsup:

I think we need to add a starter there and depth to the OL.

Vis
04-29-2011, 11:13 AM
I think we need to add a starter there and depth to the OL.

If only it was that simple

Bluecoat96
04-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Think of the depth this will give us on the D-line. I get chills thinking of people like Aaron Smith and Kiesel fresh late in games.

Dino 6 Rings
04-29-2011, 01:48 PM
This is a great pick, look forward to following his career in the Black and Gold for YEARS.

Got to like the last 3 picks in the 1st round. Hood, Pouncey, Heyward. Nothing like getting younger and bigger on both sides of the line.

Craic
04-29-2011, 02:58 PM
Funny moments in the video starting at about the 6:05 mark. "Was Dick LeBeau campaigning for this guy? Tomlin: "A Ohio State Guy? Nooooooo!"
"Tommy John surgery prevents him from pitching. How does it affect him in football." Tomlin: "We won't need him to pitch this fall."

SteelerSal
04-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Funny moments in the video starting at about the 6:05 mark. "Was Dick LeBeau campaigning for this guy? Tomlin: "A Ohio State Guy? Nooooooo!"
"Tommy John surgery prevents him from pitching. How does it affect him in football." Tomlin: "We won't need him to pitch this fall."

LMAO!!! :lol: I have to add that qoute to my signiture.

NJarhead
04-29-2011, 03:04 PM
If only it was that simple

Care to elaborate?

oneforthetoe
04-29-2011, 03:54 PM
DE, is probably the most difficult position on the Steelers D (if not on the whole team) to fill. Besides having the skill set to stand up to the continuous double teams, a player has to have the mindset that after he just busted his ass taking on two 300 pounders, and then watched one of our backers take all the glory for the tackle, you get right back in the huddle and do it again. Not to mention the fact that you will watch less skilled De's on 4 man lines getting free trips to Hawaii. In other words, no Albert Haynesworth's types need apply.

Therefore, potentially solidifying the two starting De positions for the future is to tempting to pass up.

Edman
04-30-2011, 03:28 PM
Heyward wasn't used as a Pass Rusher much at OU. Watching his play, he didn't get many sacks. But he did the most appealing thing that makes him good for the Steelers scheme. He commanded double teams and pushed his guy back into the pocket consistently. His job as a 3-4 end is tying up blockers so the Linebackers can get though. He looks like a Brett Kiesel type of Lineman.

JayC
04-30-2011, 05:42 PM
great welcome interview. said all the right things. couldn't be happier.

Psycho Ward 86
04-30-2011, 05:52 PM

what video