PDA

View Full Version : Source: Steelers have serious intent to move up for Pouncey

Psycho Ward 86
04-26-2011, 09:57 PM
Steelers have serious designs on teaming up Pouncey brothers

The Pittsburgh Steelers will exhaust all realistic possible scenarios to trade up for Florida's Mike Pouncey, according to a league source.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has given an edict to his personnel department to explore all realistic trade options for Pouncey, a guard/center, to be prepared to acquire him should he "start to slip," according to the source.

The Steelers drafted Pouncey's brother Maurkice, his teammate at Florida, in 2010 and he responded with an All-Pro caliber season.

Tomlin is enthralled by the idea of teaming the brothers on his offensive line ..........

Read more @
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f8040a/article/steelers-have-serious-designs-on-teaming-up-pouncey-brothers?module=HP_headlines

zulater
04-26-2011, 10:11 PM
I hope this is a smokescreen. Nothing against the other Pouncey, but I'd rather trade back than trade up this draft. The Steelers have too many needs than to trade away premium picks imo.

Merchant
04-26-2011, 10:12 PM
I just got a boner.

fansince'76
04-26-2011, 10:25 PM
From 31 to the high teens is a BIG jump.

7willBheaven
04-26-2011, 10:52 PM
I hope this is a smokescreen. Nothing against the other Pouncey, but I'd rather trade back than trade up this draft. The Steelers have too many needs than to trade away premium picks imo.

Ditto

7willBheaven
04-26-2011, 10:52 PM
From 31 to the high teens is a BIG jump.

Mid teens would take probably the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th...based on the point scale.

Hindes204
04-27-2011, 12:22 AM
The scenario sounds great, but I think it will end up being too much to trade up to get him

Borski
04-27-2011, 12:47 AM
I want Pouncy! :) Seriously I wouldn't mind trading up to get him, just don't give away too much for it.

st33lersguy
04-27-2011, 05:22 AM
Why are they revealing this to the entire NFL?

stillers4me
04-27-2011, 05:26 AM
Why are they revealing this to the entire NFL?

I don't think it's a big surprise that we might grab him if he starts to slip.

TheRuneMeister
04-27-2011, 05:54 AM
I know he would end up beeing taken earlier than his brother, but hell, the Pouncey twins up front? That would be nothing short of amazing. I do however not think that they would give up the picks that it would take to move that high up in the draft. Move up...sure...move 15-16 spots up...not likely.

Texasteel
04-27-2011, 06:08 AM
It's no big secret that Mike is the one player that I want the most, but I think the chances are little to none, heavy on the none. I think Tomlin is talking about if Mike becomes a major slider. I don't think they even start doing anything till he drops past the Eagles, which he won't. As must as I love Pouncey I would not give up the whole draft for him. Another one I will be watching and hoping he slips will be Carimi.

HometownGal
04-27-2011, 06:15 AM

This is where I'm at. While I'd love to have Pouncey II, as you stated, we just have too many needs.

Vis
04-27-2011, 09:14 AM
Everyone lies leading up to the draft but they know everyone will think its a lie and will anticipate that but they know everyone will know they will anticipate that but they know....

LLT
04-27-2011, 09:53 AM
I want Pouncy! :) Seriously I wouldn't mind trading up to get him, just don't give away too much for it.

I dont think there is any way around that...if we trade up into the late teens... we are probably looking at trading our 1st, 2nd, and 4th round picks.

steeldevil
04-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Not worth trading that far up. It would cost us too much. If he is still around at like 24 or 25, then think about trading up because it would not cost us as much. Trade up to #18, 19 or 20? No way.

LLT
04-27-2011, 11:07 AM
I wouldnt put a great deal of reliability on this story....just noticed its another "insider report" through one of Jason La Canfora's infamous **cough, cough** "sources"

BnG_Hevn
04-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Everyone lies leading up to the draft but they know everyone will think its a lie and will anticipate that but they know everyone will know they will anticipate that but they know....

I see The Princess Bride and the poison debate in there somewhere.

Vis
04-27-2011, 11:48 AM

ding ding ding

LLT
04-27-2011, 12:01 PM

http://www.blindfiveyearold.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/dread-pirate-roberts.jpg
"What you do not smell is called Iocane powder. It is odorless, tasteless, dissolves instantly in liquid, and is among the more deadly poisons known to man."

http://suvudu.com/files/2010/10/Prince-Humperdinck.jpg
*After smelling the vile*: "Iocaine Powder. I'd bet my life on it"

steelerdude15
04-27-2011, 01:01 PM
I would love to have Mike as I would like to continue to build a new offensive line. I say go for it.

Chidi29
04-27-2011, 01:03 PM
No thanks. It's not like Pouncey is an elite prospect.

If this was any other player with a similar scouting report with a different last name, we'd all reject the idea because it's too costly to trade up.

Let's trade back and get just as good if not better prospects, like Hudson or Ijalana.

The Duke
04-27-2011, 02:17 PM
If it were just trading a couple of spots down in the unlikely case he falls I'd love the idea

not the case though, and no need to sacrifice to much for him

just a smokescreen by mike t

SteelGhost
04-27-2011, 09:22 PM
If it were just trading a couple of spots down in the unlikely case he falls I'd love the idea

not the case though, and no need to sacrifice to much for him

just a smokescreen by mike t

^This

Texasteel
04-28-2011, 04:15 AM
This may be a smokescreen, but it they look up in the late 20s and he is still there, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some activity around the Steelers table.

Iron Steeler
04-28-2011, 11:20 AM
I don't mind trading up if prince akumaramama falls to the 15-17 range.. I would bea happy camper

Moose
04-28-2011, 08:22 PM
We need defense big time....we need CB's big time......baby Pouncy would be nice....but I think it's a 'smoke screen'. You know if the Black/Gold puts the word out that they 'want' someone special the other teams are going to look at who it is and scoop him up. This will be interesting because you know our FO has something up their sleeves.

memphissteelergirl
04-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Welp...the 'Fins just got him.

Psycho Ward 86
04-28-2011, 08:41 PM
Well, there goes Pouncey! So much for that haha

Psycho Ward 86
04-28-2011, 08:43 PM
I wonder if the Steelers would think about Mark Ingram with the 31st pick...us steeler fans think we have sufficient depth with Mendenhall carrying the load very well, Redman being an overachiever as a back up, and Dwyer as a potential star in the NFL...but only Mendenhall is a highly proven commodity of the three. Hmm...

zulater
04-28-2011, 09:20 PM
I wonder if the Steelers would think about Mark Ingram with the 31st pick...us steeler fans think we have sufficient depth with Mendenhall carrying the load very well, Redman being an overachiever as a back up, and Dwyer as a potential star in the NFL...but only Mendenhall is a highly proven commodity of the three. Hmm...

No thanks. The backs we have will do just fine. The Steelers have too many genuine needs than to play that sort of game.

zulater
04-28-2011, 09:22 PM
I heard Bill Parcell say on the radio the other day that your 3rd cornerback is more important than your starting running back these days.

Psycho Ward 86
04-28-2011, 10:11 PM
I heard Bill Parcell say on the radio the other day that your 3rd cornerback is more important than your starting running back these days.

The same Bill Parcells who has been a mediocre drafter in recent years? A certain better GM, *cough* Ozzie Newsome says the only problem you get by drafting for the BPA instead of need is the fact that you get a team overloaded with talent. Thank God Colbert has a similiar mindset.

zulater
04-28-2011, 10:29 PM
The same Bill Parcells who has been a mediocre drafter in recent years? A certain better GM, *cough* Ozzie Newsome says the only problem you get by drafting for the BPA instead of need is the fact that you get a team overloaded with talent. Thank God Colbert has a similiar mindset.

Well Ingram was gone, but they wouldn't have picked him anyway.

tube517
05-15-2011, 08:24 AM
Looks like they had a draft deal in place to get Pouncey2. With the Redskins: http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/05/15/report-steelerswash-near-draft-day-trade/

Pittsburgh (KDKA)- Jim Wexell of Steel City Insider is reporting that the Steelers and Washington Redskins had a 2011 NFL Draft trade agreed upon, but the player was gone.
Wexell said that Washington Redsksins Owner Dan Snyder appeared on Sirius/XM Radio this week and said the trade would’ve given the Steelers the 16th overall pick. The trade didn’t happen because the player the Steelers wanted was off the draft board.
It appears as though that player was Florida guard Mike Pouncey, who was drafted 15th by the Miami Dolphins.

zulater
05-16-2011, 09:10 PM
Looks like they had a draft deal in place to get Pouncey2. With the Redskins: http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/05/15/report-steelerswash-near-draft-day-trade/

http://twitter.com/#!/jimwexell/status/70150186541912064

Turns out that was a load of shit, both teams have subsequently denied it and Wexall has issued an apology.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-17-2011, 10:32 AM

Turns out that was a load of shit, both teams have subsequently denied it and Wexall has issued an apology.

Peter King reported the same thing on CNNSI and has since retracted it since the denials. The fact that Wexell and King both had the same story makes me think there was some truth to it.

zulater
05-17-2011, 10:40 AM
Peter King reported the same thing on CNNSI and has since retracted it since the denials. The fact that Wexell and King both had the same story makes me think there was some truth to it.

Could be they both had the same faulty source, or that King's source was in fact Wexall. .

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-17-2011, 10:55 AM
Could be they both had the same faulty source, or that King's source was in fact Wexall. .

Yeah, it looks like King referred to Wexall's report and when contacted Bruce Allen of the skins was told that the report was false.

tube517
05-17-2011, 10:16 PM
Well well well. Wexell gets exposed for being a stooge. Peter King gets no respect from me. PERIOD.