PDA

View Full Version : Will Steelers find 'special' player in the first round?

stillers4me
04-25-2011, 06:59 PM
True to form, Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin held their say-nothing -- or at least very little -- pre-draft news conference Monday afternoon.

One thing did stick out to me, and it was something Colbert, appropriately enough, did not say: that the Steelers will select a player they are sure about with their first-round pick in the NFL draft Thursday night.

Colbert, in fact, said that after a year-long whittling process, the Steelers have identified 20 players that have a chance to be “special” in the NFL.

Does that mean if one of the top 20 players on the Steelers’ board doesn’t fall to them at No. 31 they will make a pick that they like but don’t love? It seems to me that this is the year to trade out of the first round, especially since the Steelers could use an extra pick or two.

However, Colbert has never traded out of the first round and only traded down in it once. That came in 2002 when the Steelers moved from 16th to 19th and took nose tackle Casey Hampton.

Some other thoughts with the draft only days away:..........

read more @ http://burgh.us/4d6

Aussie_steeler
04-25-2011, 09:40 PM
If they have identified 20 special players and they start leaving the board rather quickly I dont not doubt for a minute that Colbert will trade up.

Colbert is not going to settle for a second class citizen. He will be aggressive and go and get one of those 'special 20'.

My bet is that 10 - 15 first round players have been identified as not so special by Colbert and his team due to their red flags.