PDA

View Full Version : Ed: Should Steelers Trade Down?

stillers4me
04-25-2011, 08:31 AM
Good morning,
Three days before the draft and outside opinions about who the Steelers will take in the first round are all over the map.

That is to be expected when a team’s drafting at No. 31.

But what if they go lower?

It’s the perfect draft to pick up some extra picks, especially for the Steelers. It is deep in cornerbacks, offensive tackles and defensive linemen. Those happen to be the top three needs for the Steelers. If they could drop down and out of the first round, they should be able to get a decent third-round pick from someone in addition to their second-rounder.........

Read more @ http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/109516-ed-should-steelers-trade-down

LLT
04-25-2011, 09:47 AM
In a nutshell...yes!!!!

I can see us standing pat if a player like Cameron Heyward is on the board....but other wise the real value in this draft would be to trade out of the first and get another 2nd round choice and a 4th round pick. Only the Vikings and 49ers are low enough in the draft order to have to give us a 2nd and 3rd round pick for our #31. The other teams that might need a a QB...Bills/Bengals/Broncos/Cardinals/Titans would trade their 2nd and 4th round picks (and maybe throw in a 7th) for our #31.

Devilsdancefloor
04-25-2011, 11:23 AM
trade with niners get a 2nd and 6th and gibson back lol :P

steelreserve
04-26-2011, 12:52 AM
No, asshole. I doubt we have enough room on the team for most of our draft picks anyway, so unless we're really sitting there at #31 with our dicks in our hands and nobody at all we want on the board, take the BPA. Then maybe trade up in the second round to get another guy we think could contribute. No matter how much they say it's a "deep draft class" at certain positions, the obvious difference-makers at all of those positions are usually all gone by the end of the second round anyway, and you're doing the standard third-round dice roll. We don't miss on our first-round picks very often.

I'd much rather see us get two reasonably-certain solid players in the first two rounds at DL/OL/DB, than move down and be uneasy about all of them so that we can have an extra training-camp cut.

st33lersguy
04-26-2011, 06:00 AM
If we trade down all we do is get someone else's 2nd round pick and get a low round pick on a guy who probably won't make the team anyway

Steeldude
04-26-2011, 06:16 AM
It is deep in cornerbacks

it is? it isn't deep in good CBs.

Vis
04-26-2011, 09:20 AM
It depends on the offer

LLT
04-26-2011, 11:01 AM
If we trade down all we do is get someone else's 2nd round pick and get a low round pick on a guy who probably won't make the team anyway

Everyone is stuck on 1st round vs 2nd round. The trade would be, (for example) ...the #31 pick for the #39 pick and an additional 3rd or 4th round pick. Rounds dont matter as much as how far you are dropping.

They are NOT going to be looking at anyones draft value board but their own. If the best player available on their board (for example) is Ras I Dowling and they KNOW that they can get him at #39...they will make the trade.

steelerfan
04-26-2011, 01:15 PM
Everyone is stuck on 1st round vs 2nd round. The trade would be, (for example) ...the #31 pick for the #39 pick and an additional 3rd or 4th round pick. Rounds dont matter as much as how far you are dropping.

They are NOT going to be looking at anyones draft value board but their own. If the best player available on their board (for example) is Ras I Dowling and they KNOW that they can get him at #39...they will make the trade.

4th, yes. 3rd rounder to move from 39 to 31, not a chance Tennessee would ever do that. They could easily move up to 25 for that.

LLT
04-26-2011, 01:56 PM
4th, yes. 3rd rounder to move from 39 to 31, not a chance Tennessee would ever do that. They could easily move up to 25 for that.

The Steelers would get a second rounder and a third rounder ...or second round pick and a fourth rounder....depending on where trade partner picks. I wasnt referring to the Titans only.