PDA

View Full Version : If we take a Corner 1st round... who do you think it should be?

Iron Steeler
04-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Ok so lets say we are definately going for a defensive back in the upcoming draft this week who should we lock in at pick number 31?

Jimmy Smith CB 6'2¼" 211 Colorado
Aaron Williams CB 5'11⅞" 204 Texas
Brandon Harris CB 5'9½" 191 Miami (FL)
Ras-I Dowling CB 6'1⅜" 198 Virginia

My quick take, I think that all our heads keep replaying Aaron Rodgers tearing up our secondary with Jordy Nelson and James Jones catching passes all over the field. I think automatically we all want a man coverage CB who will fill that void, but that might not work for the Steelers. Like Chidi and Xterm shown in a well detailed thread CB MISCONCEPTIONS:

"The reason for that revolves around Dick LeBeau's scheme. LeBeau uses zone and off coverage the majority of the time" "Pittsburgh's cornerbacks are designed to keep all the action in front of them and not to get beat deep. To eliminate momentum changing plays."

So who is your guy?

86WARD
04-24-2011, 08:56 PM
Williams. No doubt. If he doesn't start at corner, he can help out at safety as well. He can help the team in multiple spots if need be.

Iron Steeler
04-24-2011, 08:57 PM
That being said My Quick take

Jimmy Smith- Great man to man coverage, Good size to challenge the more physical receiver. Very fluid in hips, and can change direction with his receiver well. Plays bump on run very well . Which i dont know if that fits LeBeau's scheme. Plus the looming questions about character issues.

Aaron Williams- HUGE for the position, heard teams looking to move him SS. Is good in zone coverage and kind of takes the keep everything in front of you approach. Lacks the man to man coverage that i would love to see us gain through this draft. But could be value if we use him as a safety.

Brandon Harris- I dont know what it is about Miami and Defensive Back in the same sentence but it just sound right. This is the smallest of the four although he awesome at man to man coverage. And from what I heard is an extremely hard worker and great work ethic when it comes to coaching.

Ras I dowling- I feel like it he is the most physical of the 4 when it comes to tackling, And if you want a plug and play for the Steelers Scheme , this is probably going to be that guy. Although he might be a reach for 31.

So my picks and alternatives....

OK first things first.... If Prince Amukamara falls past the 15th pick I wouldnt mind trading up to get him.

Though thats highly unlikely so... for the 31st pick for me is Brandon Harris . He might be small but always seems to get his hands on the ball, deflected and intercepting . I think that Jimmy Smith might be better in bump in run, but Harris seems to do a better job on sticking with his guy down the field. And he possesses the physicality in the run support that we all love to see in the black n gold.

Alternative three... Trade down and get Ras I Dowling. Stock pile on some more picks.

st33lersguy
04-24-2011, 09:03 PM
Brandon Harris. Jimmy Smith will probably be gone even with character concerns. I have heard rumors that the Eagles are zoning in on him

Iron Steeler
04-24-2011, 09:04 PM
Williams. No doubt. If he doesn't start at corner, he can help out at safety as well. He can help the team in multiple spots if need be.

Are you more interested in using him as a S ? Because Im not sold on his coverage skills as a CB

86WARD
04-24-2011, 09:07 PM
I think he could develop into a good corner. In my perfect world, they take Williams and come around and grab Brown in the second. Brown could start this season opposite Ike and Williams could fill in at Safety. I agree with you that Williams possibly wouldn't start out of the gates...

steelerfan
04-24-2011, 09:13 PM
That being said My Quick take

Jimmy Smith- Great man to man coverage, Good size to challenge the more physical receiver. Very fluid in hips, and can change direction with his receiver well. Plays bump on run very well . Which i dont know if that fits LeBeau's scheme. Plus the looming questions about character issues.

Aaron Williams- HUGE for the position, heard teams looking to move him SS. Is good in zone coverage and kind of takes the keep everything in front of you approach. Lacks the man to man coverage that i would love to see us gain through this draft. But could be value if we use him as a safety.

Brandon Harris- I dont know what it is about Miami and Defensive Back in the same sentence but it just sound right. This is the smallest of the four although he awesome at man to man coverage. And from what I heard is an extremely hard worker and great work ethic when it comes to coaching.

Ras I dowling- I feel like it he is the most physical of the 4 when it comes to tackling, And if you want a plug and play for the Steelers Scheme , this is probably going to be that guy. Although he might be a reach for 31.

So my picks and alternatives....

OK first things first.... If Prince Amukamara falls past the 15th pick I wouldnt mind trading up to get him.

Though thats highly unlikely so... for the 31st pick for me is Brandon Harris . He might be small but always seems to get his hands on the ball, deflected and intercepting . I think that Jimmy Smith might be better in bump in run, but Harris seems to do a better job on sticking with his guy down the field. And he possesses the physicality in the run support that we all love to see in the black n gold.

Alternative three... Trade down and get Ras I Dowling. Stock pile on some more picks.

Smith isn't even a consideration for the steelers, even if he is there. He is Bad attitude/Character guy. And besides that, the dude easily gets beat more then ANY CB i have seen. He gets lost out on the field. He can't turn and run with the WR. I mean watch the OU game for gods sake. Did you see what Broyles did to him ? All day long he made Smith look silly. And there were many more WR's who destroyed him. Honestly, I wouldn't draft him even IF he fell to the 7th round....and neither would Pittsburgh.

deweybeachde
04-24-2011, 09:22 PM
Brandon Harris

Iron Steeler
04-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Smith isn't even a consideration for the steelers, even if he is there. He is Bad attitude/Character guy. And besides that, the dude easily gets beat more then ANY CB i have seen. He gets lost out on the field. He can't turn and run with the WR. I mean watch the OU game for gods sake. Did you see what Broyles did to him ? All day long he made Smith look silly. And there were many more WR's who destroyed him. Honestly, I wouldn't draft him even IF he fell to the 7th round....and neither would Pittsburgh.

So I take it you dont like Jimmy Smith? haha so who do prefer ?

steelerfan
04-24-2011, 09:58 PM
So I take it you dont like Jimmy Smith? haha so who do prefer ?

ABS ( Anyone but Smith )

Devilsdancefloor
04-24-2011, 10:06 PM
i like harris i seen him a few games this year and was very impressed, but i have to go with dowling.

Aussie_steeler
04-24-2011, 10:15 PM
I believe that one, if not both of the stud Wide Receivers ( AJ Green and Julio Jones) are going to be drafted by the Browns and Bengals.

The bottom feeders of the AFC North are going to copy the gameplans of the Packers, Pats and Saints to beat the Steelers because we know they cant win playing AFC North smashmouth football.

The steelers are going to need to have 3 strong CB's to counter the spread tactics that are going to be employed.

My CB is Brandon Harris. He has the best cover skills of the CB's left at #31. I think instantly he becomes the #3 CB and behind Ike over time he will be a very good #2 CB.

The AFC North is going to evolve. Yes stopping the run will still be the main goal. But in return that means that there will be more passing situations to cover.

Would you argue if the steelers actually drafted Brandon Harris in the first and Rahim Moore in the second??

steelerfan
04-24-2011, 10:26 PM
I believe that one, if not both of the stud Wide Receivers ( AJ Green and Julio Jones) are going to be drafted by the Browns and Bengals.

The bottom feeders of the AFC North are going to copy the gameplans of the Packers, Pats and Saints to beat the Steelers because we know they cant win playing AFC North smashmouth football.

The steelers are going to need to have 3 strong CB's to counter the spread tactics that are going to be employed.

My CB is Brandon Harris. He has the best cover skills of the CB's left at #31. I think instantly he becomes the #3 CB and behind Ike over time he will be a very good #2 CB.

The AFC North is going to evolve. Yes stopping the run will still be the main goal. But in return that means that there will be more passing situations to cover.

Would you argue if the steelers actually drafted Brandon Harris in the first and Rahim Moore in the second??

News flash for ya,,Rahim Moore won't even be available for us in round 1,,,,let alone in round 2 :-)

Aussie_steeler
04-25-2011, 02:53 AM
News flash for ya,,Rahim Moore won't even be available for us in round 1,,,,let alone in round 2 :-)

News flash for ya, I dont read the bleacher report. Has someone over there mocked him in the first round???

Seriously I cannot see a single team with FS as a stand out need in round 1. However I can see a number of teams eyeing him off in the 40 to 55 range. Texans, Cowboys, Colts???

Who have you got him going to in the first?????

Aussie_steeler
04-25-2011, 04:55 AM
Which CB are you leaning towards TEX?

LLT
04-25-2011, 07:48 AM
i like harris i seen him a few games this year and was very impressed, but i have to go with dowling.

I agree.

Smith is a character risk. Brandon Harris is only 5'9 and had only 13 presses on the bench...so he lacks the functional strength and height that I would prefer at CB. Williams is versatile and faster than given credit for...but he has problems in his transitions, so he doesnt turn as well has you would like...especially coming out of his backpedal.

Dowling was hurt is senior year....tried to come back early and it bit him on the butt. If you look at his tape from his first three years...he is a ELITE cornerback!!!! He will go in the 2nd round and will be a steal to whoever gets him.

LLT
04-25-2011, 07:49 AM

Possibly...but that definately isnt a lock.

...much less a "news-flash"

Texasteel
04-25-2011, 09:37 AM
Which CB are you leaning towards TEX?

I am still sold on Dowling. I watched this kid for a couple of years, and the injury problems he has had this year has not dampened my enthusiasm for the kid. He is big, and fast, and can move very well. He can cover in one on one, or zone, and can support the run defense. He may not be the best at everything, but from what I've seen he is very good at most everything. In my mind a healthy Dowling we would not even get close to. I am willing to take a chance on him, and from what I have seen in the combines, and his pro day I think that the gamble is a very small one. I remember a lot of the arguments against him being used against Miller a few years ago.

To show you how dumb I am, I would take him at 31 if need be.

LLT
04-25-2011, 10:10 AM
I am still sold on Dowling. I watched this kid for a couple of years, and the injury problems he has had this year has not dampened my enthusiasm for the kid. He is big, and fast, and can move very well. He can cover in one on one, or zone, and can support the run defense. He may not be the best at everything, but from what I've seen he is very good at most everything. In my mind a healthy Dowling we would not even get close to. I am willing to take a chance on him, and from what I have seen in the combines, and his pro day I think that the gamble is a very small one. I remember a lot of the arguments against him being used against Miller a few years ago.

To show you how dumb I am, I would take him at 31 if need be.

I'm dumb that way also. I think we can get him later though.

steelerfan
04-25-2011, 10:12 AM
Well to be fair to the anti-Dowling people. Dowling might have played before last seasons injuries. But he did miss a couple of games each of those past two seasons. And does have a history of nagging injuries even going back to High School. Every scouting source says this about him. So you do have to consider this. Now with that said, I still would take him in the 2nd round via a trade down. Then address the OL and DL at 63....I'm actually leaning towards the Brewer kid from Indiana now...I have my reasons. But Dowling, even though I like him is far from a sure thing. And does have durability issues that cannot be argued with.

Texasteel
04-25-2011, 10:29 AM
I'm dumb that way also. I think we can get him later though.

I think we can get him lower as well, and I think we will, but depending on what Dallas does in the 1st round, I would not drop past them. To tell you the true, Dowling and an extra 4 would put a smile on me face.

Iron Steeler
04-25-2011, 12:17 PM
I think we can get him lower as well, and I think we will, but depending on what Dallas does in the 1st round, I would not drop past them. To tell you the true, Dowling and an extra 4 would put a smile on me face.

So you think we could get brandon harris and ras Idowling ? That would be awesome!

7willBheaven
04-25-2011, 01:07 PM
So you think we could get brandon harris and ras Idowling ? That would be awesome!

No...I think he's saying to trade down...pick up an extra pick or 2...and then pick Dowling. Not Harris and Dowling.

Texasteel
04-25-2011, 01:55 PM
No...I think he's saying to trade down...pick up an extra pick or 2...and then pick Dowling. Not Harris and Dowling.

Thats right bud. I don't see any way at all that we could get both Harris and Dowling.

LLT
04-25-2011, 01:57 PM

That is the scenerio that most of us would like to see. It would give us a draft of:

Round 1: TRADE
Round 2:
Round 2:
Round 3:
Round 4:
Round 4:
Round 5:
Round 6:
Round 7:
Round 7: (this pick tentative depending on points left over)

7willBheaven
04-25-2011, 04:35 PM
That is the scenerio that most of us would like to see. It would give us a draft of:

Round 1: TRADE
Round 2:
Round 2:
Round 3:
Round 4:
Round 4:
Round 5:
Round 6:
Round 7:
Round 7: (this pick tentative depending on points left over)

I wouldnt mind this...if we can get 2-3 extra picks (in addition to the 2nd rounder we'd get) that I'd be cool with that...as theres some decent guys to be had in rounds 4-7 even.

Iron Steeler
04-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Would you argue if the steelers actually drafted Brandon Harris in the first and Rahim Moore in the second??[/QUOTE]

What round do see rahim moore falling to?

steelerfan
04-25-2011, 06:02 PM

What round do see rahim moore falling to?[/QUOTE]

I told him that I thought Moore would be a 1st round pick. And even if not, he would never last til our pick at 63. However, with Moore accepting a invite to the draft on opening night, which is only the first round. I gotta think maybe he's got a guarantee from a team. And I personally think it is the Jets. No real proof to back up that statement. It's just a hunch. The Jets need a FS. And Rahim Moore is also a Ball-Hawk out there. Considering that most teams shy away from D.Revis side of the field. I think the Jets are thinking a player like Moore in the Center part of the field might open more chances of Interceptions.

Like I said though, just my opinion. But I can't believe that Moore would accept an invite to the draft without a guarantee from some team. I mean it can be very embarrassing to have to sit through all those hours in the Green Room, and then not hearing your name called, and then the telicast ends and you're there all alone.

Aussie_steeler
04-25-2011, 06:33 PM
The jets could do with him but I cant see them passing on a big ugly in the defensive front 7.

I think they are still hurting from the Vernon Gholston disaster and this is their year to rectify that.

taztroy43
04-26-2011, 02:43 AM
Ras I Dowling would be my choice! We wouldn't of came close to drafting him this year if he was 100%....I say trade down a few and pick up this big guy to groom behind Taylor when we sign him...hopefully....I just see a lot of Ike Taylor in him and to prove my point walterfootball.com also compares him to IKE...I would love to trade down and come out of this draft with Dowling with our 2 & Curtis Marsh with our 3 or 4....Marsh intrigues me because he's a tall athletic corner at 6'1" 197lbs with long arms, 37.5" verticle and he is a converted RB...so you know he's tough....He did a good job on Titus Young and a decent job on A. Pettis...I think that year was his first at CB and he showed some flashes....And youguys all know how much the Steelers like to draft those RAW Moldable type of prospects...(e.g. Ike Taylor, Crezdon Butler, J. Worilds, M. Wallace, R. Mendenhall etc...etc...)

LLT
04-26-2011, 08:31 AM
I told him that I thought Moore would be a 1st round pick. And even if not, he would never last til our pick at 63. However, with Moore accepting a invite to the draft on opening night, which is only the first round. I gotta think maybe he's got a guarantee from a team. And I personally think it is the Jets. No real proof to back up that statement. It's just a hunch. The Jets need a FS. And Rahim Moore is also a Ball-Hawk out there. Considering that most teams shy away from D.Revis side of the field. I think the Jets are thinking a player like Moore in the Center part of the field might open more chances of Interceptions.

Like I said though, just my opinion. But I can't believe that Moore would accept an invite to the draft without a guarantee from some team. I mean it can be very embarrassing to have to sit through all those hours in the Green Room, and then not hearing your name called, and then the telicast ends and you're there all alone.

27 prospects have accepted invitations to the draft. The league sent out a record amount of invitiations as a counter-measure against the players union asking the prospects to boycott the draft.

The invitiations are more about politics then player evaluation. Dont read too much into it. If the league missed out on who would go in the first round when they were only inviting 10 prospects....I would think that they are going to miss out BIG TIME on 25+ prospects.

The truth is....anyone in the top 40 has a chance of going in the first round but its NEVER a sure thing.