PDA

View Full Version : Best, worst first-round NFL draft picks

polamalubeast
04-24-2011, 06:13 PM
PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Best: QB Terry Bradshaw, Louisiana Tech, 1970

Bradshaw barely edges Joe Greene, the 1969 pick and cornerstone of the Steel Curtain defense. The top overall pick after a decent but not spectacular college career, Bradshaw became the first quarterback to win four Super Bowls, and was the MVP of two of them. He turned the Steelers from a run-oriented team to a balanced attack and entered the Hall of Fame in 1989.

Worst: LB Huey Richardson, Florida, 1991

Expected to be next in a long line of dominant Steelers linebackers, but played in only five games and had no statistics after being chosen 15th. He was traded to Washington the following offseason and was out of the NFL after two years.

read more

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-draft-bestandworst

steelerfan
04-24-2011, 06:59 PM
PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Best: QB Terry Bradshaw, Louisiana Tech, 1970

Bradshaw barely edges Joe Greene, the 1969 pick and cornerstone of the Steel Curtain defense. The top overall pick after a decent but not spectacular college career, Bradshaw became the first quarterback to win four Super Bowls, and was the MVP of two of them. He turned the Steelers from a run-oriented team to a balanced attack and entered the Hall of Fame in 1989.

Worst: LB Huey Richardson, Florida, 1991

Expected to be next in a long line of dominant Steelers linebackers, but played in only five games and had no statistics after being chosen 15th. He was traded to Washington the following offseason and was out of the NFL after two years.

read more

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-draft-bestandworst

Huey, our worst 1st round selection ?...sorry but I totally disagree. To me, a bad 1st round selection is one where a team TOTALLY reaches at that particular spot. Hate Huey all you want but EVERY single NFL Analyst and what not thought we had one of the STEALS from that draft in Huey. Huey was a 2-time All SEC 1st team selection. And a All-American his final year at Florida. I mean the dude had like 27 career sacks, and over 50 TFL. Still like 3rd and 4th on Florida's All time list.

Nope sorry kids but for me the answer is easy....in 1985, when I just got out of school, and had extensive knowledge on alot of the college players, the Steelers selected Darryl Sims. A DT out of Wisconsin, who wasn't on ANYONES top-50 list. Let alone at # 20 where the steelers selected him. Now, IF Sims would have went on to do something, fine. We struck it rich. But, to take him at least 50-70 picks higher then anyone had him slotted was idiotic. Considering his production with the steelers.

Sorry everyone. Look I hate Huey to. But in all reality, he was the proper selection given his college achievments.

polamalubeast
04-24-2011, 07:24 PM
The worst decision of the steelers is in 1983 when they were not drafted Dan Marino!:no:

Chidi29
04-24-2011, 07:45 PM
Gary Glick is still the worst selection in my mind.

steelerfan
04-24-2011, 08:02 PM
Gary Glick is still the worst selection in my mind.

Glick wasn't a bad selection. He was considered a top-5 prospect. And he played several years in the league. How you consider him a bad selection when the entire world had him going number 1 is beyond me.

Chidi29
04-24-2011, 08:30 PM
Glick wasn't a bad selection. He was considered a top-5 prospect. And he played several years in the league. How you consider him a bad selection when the entire world had him going number 1 is beyond me.

Who considered him a top prospect?

Glick was a player we knew nothing about. The only piece of information we had on him was a letter from the coach at Colorado A&M. Buddy Parker took that at face value and wouldn't change his mind about drafting him in a later round which Dan Rooney tried to convince him to do.

By the time we got the tape on Glick, we had already drafted him. The team was horrified to see Glick play against poor competition in what was barely considered to be a football stadium.

86WARD
04-24-2011, 09:04 PM
If we are making a list:

Best: I'm going to go Joe Greene (since Bradshaw's been named.) There's so many that you can't go wrong...
Worst: Aaron Jones. Useless. There's a few that you won't get an argument out of me on...lol.

st33lersguy
04-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Huey, our worst 1st round selection ?...sorry but I totally disagree. To me, a bad 1st round selection is one where a team TOTALLY reaches at that particular spot. Hate Huey all you want but EVERY single NFL Analyst and what not thought we had one of the STEALS from that draft in Huey. Huey was a 2-time All SEC 1st team selection. And a All-American his final year at Florida. I mean the dude had like 27 career sacks, and over 50 TFL. Still like 3rd and 4th on Florida's All time list.

Nope sorry kids but for me the answer is easy....in 1985, when I just got out of school, and had extensive knowledge on alot of the college players, the Steelers selected Darryl Sims. A DT out of Wisconsin, who wasn't on ANYONES top-50 list. Let alone at # 20 where the steelers selected him. Now, IF Sims would have went on to do something, fine. We struck it rich. But, to take him at least 50-70 picks higher then anyone had him slotted was idiotic. Considering his production with the steelers.

Sorry everyone. Look I hate Huey to. But in all reality, he was the proper selection given his college achievments.

If you want to go that route how about Jamain Stephens, a reach and an admitted project.

Godfather
04-24-2011, 09:30 PM
Wasn't Mark Malone a first rounder?

steelerfan
04-24-2011, 09:57 PM
If you want to go that route how about Jamain Stephens, a reach and an admitted project.

Actually Stephens was not a reach. He was another in the long line that the experts get too caught up in with work out times and what not. But I remember Mel Kiper had him going 27 to Green Bay. And he was in alot of first round mocks. He wasn't a reach. He was a disappointment. But nowhere near as bad as Darryl Sims was. And as I stated, not one single draft expert had Sims anywhere near the 1st round, or the 2nd round. All of you can argue all you want. But Sims is the clear winner in the worst 1st round pick contest. And it's not even close.

Chidi29
04-24-2011, 10:08 PM
Who considered Glick a top prospect?

TroysBarber
04-25-2011, 04:05 PM
Wasn't Mark Malone a first rounder?

Yes, but he wasn't the biggest bust. He at least became a starter. Granted, he wasn't a good starter, but as the final pick in round 1, a good backup QB (which Malone was for several seasons) doesn't constitute a total bust.

Chidi29
04-25-2011, 04:31 PM

Oh steelerfan. I'm waiting for your response. I know you saw this.

steelreserve
04-26-2011, 12:55 AM

He read the Dan Rooney book, that's why.

I mean, I don't think you can say "the whole world" had him going #1, but from what I can gather it was known that he was pretty good. Not necessarily #1-overall worthy, but not a complete WTF pick.

Chidi29
04-26-2011, 02:53 PM
He read the Dan Rooney book, that's why.

I mean, I don't think you can say "the whole world" had him going #1, but from what I can gather it was known that he was pretty good. Not necessarily #1-overall worthy, but not a complete WTF pick.

Where are you getting your information from?

solardave
04-26-2011, 04:20 PM

Glick did!!:lol: