PDA

View Full Version : Late Round Targets

Chidi29
04-22-2011, 04:26 PM
List of players I like in the later rounds who could wind up as draft steals.

QB:
Nathan Enderle/Idaho - Not that we need a QB, but this kid is the next Matt Ryan. Played on a team that didn't have a lot of talent and still made them somewhat successful compared to the state of the team before he joined. Four year-starter who played in a pro offense, calling out as many pre-snap adjustments as any QB. Has a good arm with velocity on his passes. More accurate than the numbers suggest and can make every throw.

RB:
Marion Fannin/Auburn: Could wind up having a better pro career than college. Good size who runs a sub 4.4 forty. Has just under 100 career catches. Aussie is a fan of Fannin, too.

Allen Bradford/USC: Really like Bradford if he can stay healthy and avoid any further hip injuries. Hits the hole with conviction and has a lot of power. Always keeping his feet moving and gets yards after initial contact.

WR:
Kris Durham/Georgia: Interesting speed/size player. 6'5 214 who runs in the low 4.3s. Averaged over 20.5 yards a catch his senior year.

Dane Sanzenbacher/Ohio St: Not a flashy player by any means but a reliable third down target who always seemed to make the big catch.

TE:
Charlie Gantt and Kyle Adams/Michigan St and Purdue: Neither are going to offer much as receivers but good blockers. If Spaeth walks or if we're looking for an upgrade, though Spaeth isn't a terrible blocker, those are a couple guys we could target.

OG:
Zach Hurd/UConn: A Chris Kemoeatu clone. Bends at the waist too much because he's such a big guy but is extremely agile. Quick first step and a big asset on trap blocks. Just needs coaching to refine technique.

Jamal Lewis/Hampton: Watched him in one game and really liked what I saw. An absolute mauler with a lot of experience. Played three years at the FBS level at Middle Tennessee State before transferring although I'm not sure why he did.

Daryl Hicks/Delaware St: Another small-school player I like. Undersized but athletic and does a good job getting to the second level. Good hand placement and overall technique makes up for his leaner build.

Julian Vandervelde/Iowa: Haven't watched the tape but the bio looks good. Undersized but his arm and hand length do not suffer for it. He showed explosion with the best vertical of all the guards at the Combine and top numbers in the shuttle and broad jump. High-character player who was Big-Ten All-Academic four years in a row. English major. And you know he's gotten good coaching from Kirk Ferentz.

David Arkin/Missouri St: 6'5 300 with long arms and big hands. Primarily played guard but has experience at left tackle.

DE:
Frank Kearse/Alabama A&M: Player we've shown interest in, too. Hard-worker who came to school as an offensive lineman. Was recruited by schools like Georgia but grades scared them off. Kearse worked hard in college to keep his grades up. Had a productive senior year.

Mike Blanc/Auburn: Good school who was pegged as a sleeper by Sporting News Russ Lande.

NT:
Anthony Gray/Southern Mississippi: Uses his short height to gain leverage. Commanded double teams, has a good motor, and appears to be familiar with zone blitz schemes, dropping into coverage a few times. Needs to be more consistent off the snap. When he's slow, he gets blown out.

Kelly Griffin/TCU: Like Jamal Lewis, Griffin looked strong in the one game I watched. Won his one-on-one matchups and showed good conditioning, playing the majority of snaps. Fractured his ankle and missed most of his senior year but he shouldn't be forgotten about.

OLB:
Travis Ford-Bey/OLB West Chester: Small school sleeper. He's short, only around 6'0 but makes himself a small target around the edge. Good first step that forced tackles to hold him. Also played RE in the team's 3-4. Won't be his position in the pros because he weighs 250 but it's nice to see a guy have the knowledge of how to play the run from the perspective of a 300 pound tank.

DeQuin Evans/Kentucky: Good junior year after spending two years at JUCO. 12.5 TFL and 6 sacks. Bad senior year but not a bad low candidate.

CB:
Anthony Gaiter/Florida International: Small corner but we don't need big-hulking cornerbacks in our zone scheme. Especially with McFadden holding down the fort at LCB, one of the best corners against the run in the league IMO. 11 career interceptions and 25 breakups for his career. Three time pick as All-Sun Belt.

Darian Hagan/California: I was a big fan of Syd'Quan Thompson last year and he performed well for the Broncos. Hagan is another guy that is undersized but is willing to play the run and in general, is a scrappy player you like to have.

KOS:
Adi Kunalic/Nebraska: I know that the NFL rule change will help out weaker legged kickers, but Suisham is only going to be having five or six more touchbacks a year. Not every kick will be in the end zone. It may be with this guy. Averaged over 30 touchbacks a year.

7willBheaven
04-22-2011, 05:48 PM
I'm only going to comment on the players I know of/etc...and also I'm not saying we need to draft these guys...just giving opinions on them.

Enderle - I like the kid...not sure if he's the next Matt Ryan...but I like him. I personally would like another young backup QB...would I waste a draft pick on one...not sure...but if any of the OK ones make it to the UDFA portion...I'd set my eyes on one when a new CBA is done. While I do not have issues with Batch, Lefty or Dixon. I think Batch is nearing the end...Lefty can be the main backup for a year or 2...and Dixon...while he has shown potential...I'm ready to move on from him.

Fannin - doesnt seem bad from what I've seen

Sanzenbacher - I see more OSU games than anything and I liked the guy...like you said not a flashy stud #1 type WR...but still very dependable.

Gantt - heard he is a good blocker...but at this point...I'd rather keep Speath

Hurd - Wouldnt mind him either

Kearse/Gray - I've been starting to hear a little more about these guys as its gotten closer to the draft. If they can become something be it starters or solid backups...i wouldnt mind a 6th/7th round pick going to one of them.

The rest I'm not familiar with so I cant comment on them.

Chidi29
04-22-2011, 05:58 PM
One other player I forgot to mention and should've included in my mock. Would love for the Steelers to get him in the 7th or as a UDFA once the CBA is agreed on.

Safety Mana Silva out of Hawaii. Eight interceptions his senior year, second in the nation, and 14 for his career. Picked off Kellen Moore twice in one game, no easy task. Ran a 4.44 at his Pro Day and a 40 inch vertical.

Aussie_steeler
04-22-2011, 11:21 PM
Some good names listed there Chidi. Good Job

I would think that 2 -3 names on that list could be legitimate round 6 - 7 picks or UDFA's for the steelers

Enderle, Fannin, Hurd, Kearse and Gray are players that I am watching out for.

steelerfan
04-22-2011, 11:28 PM
I have been really intrigued by this guy for a while now. He seems like the YOUNGER version of Flozel Adams :clap2: His name is David Mims. I wonder if anyone else here besides me who would want to take a flier on this guy.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20110315_sleeper_tackle_david_mims_out_to_prove_hi mself_in_nfl

Chidi29
04-23-2011, 12:18 AM
I'm only going to comment on the players I know of/etc...and also I'm not saying we need to draft these guys...just giving opinions on them.

Enderle - I like the kid...not sure if he's the next Matt Ryan...but I like him. I personally would like another young backup QB...would I waste a draft pick on one...not sure...but if any of the OK ones make it to the UDFA portion...I'd set my eyes on one when a new CBA is done. While I do not have issues with Batch, Lefty or Dixon. I think Batch is nearing the end...Lefty can be the main backup for a year or 2...and Dixon...while he has shown potential...I'm ready to move on from him.

Fannin - doesnt seem bad from what I've seen

Sanzenbacher - I see more OSU games than anything and I liked the guy...like you said not a flashy stud #1 type WR...but still very dependable.

Gantt - heard he is a good blocker...but at this point...I'd rather keep Speath

Hurd - Wouldnt mind him either

Kearse/Gray - I've been starting to hear a little more about these guys as its gotten closer to the draft. If they can become something be it starters or solid backups...i wouldnt mind a 6th/7th round pick going to one of them.

The rest I'm not familiar with so I cant comment on them.

I wouldn't take a QB. If you're looking for a backup, get vets like we have. They won't be lost and the offense won't totally stall out like it would when you have an inexperienced player under center.

I pointed out Enderle because he is really good value in the mid to later rounds and I need there to be proof of my man-crush when he does become a star. :chuckle:

Chidi29
04-23-2011, 12:19 AM
I have been really intrigued by this guy for a while now. He seems like the YOUNGER version of Flozel Adams :clap2: His name is David Mims. I wonder if anyone else here besides me who would want to take a flier on this guy.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20110315_sleeper_tackle_david_mims_out_to_prove_hi mself_in_nfl

I've seen the name and you're right, the guy is huge. But I've never gotten to watch him so I really can't comment on how good of a prospect he is.

Texasteel
04-23-2011, 09:39 AM
You know I love Hurd, and have become very interested in Fannin. Of course Vandervelde is a guy I have seen a lot of and think he may be better that given credit for.

A kid I have been becoming more and more interested in is Travis Ford-Bey, the kid seems to just know how to play his position. He would have to adjust to OLB but I don't think he would have many problems. I also looks to have a motor on him. Don't think I would mind see him on our roster at all.

Good list of talented players buddy.

Chidi29
04-23-2011, 12:02 PM
You know I love Hurd, and have become very interested in Fannin. Of course Vandervelde is a guy I have seen a lot of and think he may be better that given credit for.

A kid I have been becoming more and more interested in is Travis Ford-Bey, the kid seems to just know how to play his position. He would have to adjust to OLB but I don't think he would have many problems. I also looks to have a motor on him. Don't think I would mind see him on our roster at all.

Good list of talented players buddy.

Can you tell me more about Vandervelde's game?

Bey definitely could fit as a pass rusher. Needs time in an NFL-quality weight/conditioning program and has no experience dropping into coverage but worth taking a flier on.

Texasteel
04-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Can you tell me more about Vandervelde's game?

Bey definitely could fit as a pass rusher. Needs time in an NFL-quality weight/conditioning program and has no experience dropping into coverage but worth taking a flier on.

Now remember that I am an Iowa fan.

Vandervelde is an underrated OG, maybe because he lines up with an OT you will be hearing a lot of next year. Reiff got most of the credit, but Julian did a lions share of the work, just like last year it was Bulaga. Julian is quicker than Moffitt, more athletic that Moffitt, and almost as strong, he does not have Moffitt size. I'm not saying he is the player Moffitt is, just making the comparison. Julian is a work horse, and did everything the coach asked of him. He is good in the running game, but still normally seals the inside against the pass rush. Would be better in a trapping offense. He is a smart player that can be taught to be a better player than he is right now. I personally think he could be a late round pick that would stick with a team that wants to try him, including us. Defiantly worth a shot as an UDFA.

Chidi29
04-23-2011, 04:59 PM
It sounds like a guy I'd love to be able to snag as a UDFA. Already seen Stapleton, Legursky, and Foster do it.

Texasteel
04-23-2011, 06:52 PM
It sounds like a guy I'd love to be able to snag as a UDFA. Already seen Stapleton, Legursky, and Foster do it.

I don't see us spending a draft pick on him, but if we could get him as an UDFA I would be tickled. Problem is the Vikes keep a close eye on the Hawkeyes, and I can see them making a quick call, as soon as they can make a quick call.

steelerfan
04-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Richmonds " Martin Parker " is an intersting prospect. Dominated in his Division. Highly productive DT with a great Motor. Of course he is not unknown to fans and GM's alike. He might ne one of those guys who gets his name called in round 3 or early 4th round. But if he's there in round 5, especially late 5th he would be a decent pick-up.

Chidi29
04-23-2011, 08:02 PM
Richmonds " Martin Parker " is an intersting prospect. Dominated in his Division. Highly productive DT with a great Motor. Of course he is not unknown to fans and GM's alike. He might ne one of those guys who gets his name called in round 3 or early 4th round. But if he's there in round 5, especially late 5th he would be a decent pick-up.

Did look like he had a good first step but may be best served as a gap shooter than run stuffer. And from what I saw of him in the one game I watched, he seems prone to injury. Or isn't the biggest workout guy since it was the first game of the injury and he constatly had to leave the game.

Chidi29
04-23-2011, 08:02 PM
I don't see us spending a draft pick on him, but if we could get him as an UDFA I would be tickled. Problem is the Vikes keep a close eye on the Hawkeyes, and I can see them making a quick call, as soon as they can make a quick call.

I'd prefer to do that, getting him after the draft. I'm not a fan of taking late round lineman to fix a "need". Take a guy early or don't take one at all.

7willBheaven
04-23-2011, 10:11 PM
I wouldn't take a QB. If you're looking for a backup, get vets like we have. They won't be lost and the offense won't totally stall out like it would when you have an inexperienced player under center.

I pointed out Enderle because he is really good value in the mid to later rounds and I need there to be proof of my man-crush when he does become a star. :chuckle:

I dont mean an immediate backup...if we got a QB he'd take over the Dixon spot as #3 and learn/etc...Lefty would still be the backup...and then in a few years maybe the kid could be the backup once Lefty is gone. I dont wanna draft a guy now and make him the backup, heck no, haha. I dont care what they do really as its not a huge need...but i wouldnt be against bringing in a guy to compete for the #3 spot.

Chidi29
04-23-2011, 10:30 PM
I dont mean an immediate backup...if we got a QB he'd take over the Dixon spot as #3 and learn/etc...Lefty would still be the backup...and then in a few years maybe the kid could be the backup once Lefty is gone. I dont wanna draft a guy now and make him the backup, heck no, haha. I dont care what they do really as its not a huge need...but i wouldnt be against bringing in a guy to compete for the #3 spot.

I get what you're saying but I'd only bring in a UDFA for that chance. Would't use a pick on one.

7willBheaven
04-23-2011, 10:42 PM
I get what you're saying but I'd only bring in a UDFA for that chance. Would't use a pick on one.

Exactly...unless there was someone there just too good to pass up...not sure who that would be...but yeah.

Chidi29
04-23-2011, 11:03 PM
Exactly...unless there was someone there just too good to pass up...not sure who that would be...but yeah.

So who are we looking at as possibilites? Anyone you like?

Aussie_steeler
04-24-2011, 12:01 AM
I always keep coming back to V.Tech linebacker Stephen Friday.

I think he is a player that can come onto a roster, play special teams well, build up some size and strength and grow into a really good backup OLB for a 3-4 team.

Currently 6'3 240lbs and a 4.66 40.

Jason Worilds would be talking this guy up to Kevin Colbert.

Another guy I really liked on film this year was Dwayne Harris of East Carolina.

Although he is a bit small, 5'10 & 203lbs, I really see a lot of Hines Ward in this guy.

He is a tough receiver who loves to catch, run, block and get under the skin of his opponents. He has caught a lot of passes and has good hands. I think he is one guy who just loses out because of the fascination of what you measure.

He looks like a player and I think he can become an NFL player. I had a similar feeling with Austin Collie a few years ago. I can see Harris being a guy who could really make the most of it if given an opportunity - much like a Davone Bess and the dolphins

7willBheaven
04-24-2011, 12:49 AM
So who are we looking at as possibilites? Anyone you like?

Eh...I'm probably not up on the prospects as some of you guys...I only know what I read...dont get to do too much of the watching part.

Some guys who COULD be late round/FAs and MAY not be bad..

Enderle
Tolzien
Potts
Yates
Devlin

Now some places I've seen some of these guys ranked as high as 4th rounders...while others have the same guys as 6/7-FA (i just decided to list them all for the hell of it though)..any of those guys COULD be decent pickups to become the 3rd QB. I have a feeling of those 5 Devlin/Yates will be drafted earlier than the rest (esp Devlin).

If I remember correctly Tolzien was in more of a pro style offense i think...also he led the nation in completion percentage, he's smart and has leadership skills. I like Enderle's size/etc too. I think probably him and Tolzien could be my favorites on that list...as far as potential UDFAs.

Chidi29
04-24-2011, 01:47 AM
I always keep coming back to V.Tech linebacker Stephen Friday.

I think he is a player that can come onto a roster, play special teams well, build up some size and strength and grow into a really good backup OLB for a 3-4 team.

Currently 6'3 240lbs and a 4.66 40.

Jason Worilds would be talking this guy up to Kevin Colbert.

Another guy I really liked on film this year was Dwayne Harris of East Carolina.

Although he is a bit small, 5'10 & 203lbs, I really see a lot of Hines Ward in this guy.

He is a tough receiver who loves to catch, run, block and get under the skin of his opponents. He has caught a lot of passes and has good hands. I think he is one guy who just loses out because of the fascination of what you measure.

He looks like a player and I think he can become an NFL player. I had a similar feeling with Austin Collie a few years ago. I can see Harris being a guy who could really make the most of it if given an opportunity - much like a Davone Bess and the dolphins

Quality info, as usual Aussie. Can't say I know much about each player so I'll go on your word. Have to figure Friday would be ready and able to step in on special teams Day one coming out of Beamerball. Worilds played really really on coverage last season.

Getting that guy a helmet as soon as possible is crucial so he can take that next step and contribute on defense.

Chidi29
04-24-2011, 01:57 AM
Eh...I'm probably not up on the prospects as some of you guys...I only know what I read...dont get to do too much of the watching part.

Some guys who COULD be late round/FAs and MAY not be bad..

Enderle
Tolzien
Potts
Yates
Devlin

Now some places I've seen some of these guys ranked as high as 4th rounders...while others have the same guys as 6/7-FA (i just decided to list them all for the hell of it though)..any of those guys COULD be decent pickups to become the 3rd QB. I have a feeling of those 5 Devlin/Yates will be drafted earlier than the rest (esp Devlin).

If I remember correctly Tolzien was in more of a pro style offense i think...also he led the nation in completion percentage, he's smart and has leadership skills. I like Enderle's size/etc too. I think probably him and Tolzien could be my favorites on that list...as far as potential UDFAs.

I know I've been rambling about it for the longest time but I'm telling you guys, Enderle is the one kid I feel I have the best read on.

If he can get a chance, and at some point you figure he will, he's going to not only stick in the league, he's going to flourish. He's got everything you want in a QB. The size, arm strength, velocity, touch, accuracy, can make every throw, leadership, winning qualities, experience, pro offense. All of it.

LLT
04-24-2011, 04:28 AM
List of players I like in the later rounds who could wind up as draft steals.

QB:
Nathan Enderle/Idaho - Not that we need a QB, but this kid is the next Matt Ryan. Played on a team that didn't have a lot of talent and still made them somewhat successful compared to the state of the team before he joined. Four year-starter who played in a pro offense, calling out as many pre-snap adjustments as any QB. Has a good arm with velocity on his passes. More accurate than the numbers suggest and can make every throw.

RB:
Marion Fannin/Auburn: Could wind up having a better pro career than college. Good size who runs a sub 4.4 forty. Has just under 100 career catches. Aussie is a fan of Fannin, too.

Allen Bradford/USC: Really like Bradford if he can stay healthy and avoid any further hip injuries. Hits the hole with conviction and has a lot of power. Always keeping his feet moving and gets yards after initial contact.

WR:
Kris Durham/Georgia: Interesting speed/size player. 6'5 214 who runs in the low 4.3s. Averaged over 20.5 yards a catch his senior year.

Dane Sanzenbacher/Ohio St: Not a flashy player by any means but a reliable third down target who always seemed to make the big catch.

TE:
Charlie Gantt and Kyle Adams/Michigan St and Purdue: Neither are going to offer much as receivers but good blockers. If Spaeth walks or if we're looking for an upgrade, though Spaeth isn't a terrible blocker, those are a couple guys we could target.

OG:
Zach Hurd/UConn: A Chris Kemoeatu clone. Bends at the waist too much because he's such a big guy but is extremely agile. Quick first step and a big asset on trap blocks. Just needs coaching to refine technique.

Jamal Lewis/Hampton: Watched him in one game and really liked what I saw. An absolute mauler with a lot of experience. Played three years at the FBS level at Middle Tennessee State before transferring although I'm not sure why he did.

Daryl Hicks/Delaware St: Another small-school player I like. Undersized but athletic and does a good job getting to the second level. Good hand placement and overall technique makes up for his leaner build.

Julian Vandervelde/Iowa: Haven't watched the tape but the bio looks good. Undersized but his arm and hand length do not suffer for it. He showed explosion with the best vertical of all the guards at the Combine and top numbers in the shuttle and broad jump. High-character player who was Big-Ten All-Academic four years in a row. English major. And you know he's gotten good coaching from Kirk Ferentz.

David Arkin/Missouri St: 6'5 300 with long arms and big hands. Primarily played guard but has experience at left tackle.

DE:
Frank Kearse/Alabama A&M: Player we've shown interest in, too. Hard-worker who came to school as an offensive lineman. Was recruited by schools like Georgia but grades scared them off. Kearse worked hard in college to keep his grades up. Had a productive senior year.

Mike Blanc/Auburn: Good school who was pegged as a sleeper by Sporting News Russ Lande.

NT:
Anthony Gray/Southern Mississippi: Uses his short height to gain leverage. Commanded double teams, has a good motor, and appears to be familiar with zone blitz schemes, dropping into coverage a few times. Needs to be more consistent off the snap. When he's slow, he gets blown out.

Kelly Griffin/TCU: Like Jamal Lewis, Griffin looked strong in the one game I watched. Won his one-on-one matchups and showed good conditioning, playing the majority of snaps. Fractured his ankle and missed most of his senior year but he shouldn't be forgotten about.

OLB:
Travis Ford-Bey/OLB West Chester: Small school sleeper. He's short, only around 6'0 but makes himself a small target around the edge. Good first step that forced tackles to hold him. Also played RE in the team's 3-4. Won't be his position in the pros because he weighs 250 but it's nice to see a guy have the knowledge of how to play the run from the perspective of a 300 pound tank.

DeQuin Evans/Kentucky: Good junior year after spending two years at JUCO. 12.5 TFL and 6 sacks. Bad senior year but not a bad low candidate.

CB:
Anthony Gaiter/Florida International: Small corner but we don't need big-hulking cornerbacks in our zone scheme. Especially with McFadden holding down the fort at LCB, one of the best corners against the run in the league IMO. 11 career interceptions and 25 breakups for his career. Three time pick as All-Sun Belt.

Darian Hagan/California: I was a big fan of Syd'Quan Thompson last year and he performed well for the Broncos. Hagan is another guy that is undersized but is willing to play the run and in general, is a scrappy player you like to have.

KOS:
Adi Kunalic/Nebraska: I know that the NFL rule change will help out weaker legged kickers, but Suisham is only going to be having five or six more touchbacks a year. Not every kick will be in the end zone. It may be with this guy. Averaged over 30 touchbacks a year.

Very intriqued by Kris Durham the WR our of Georgia...I think he had a torn labrum a year ago...but well worth a late round pick!!!

Also love the Anthony Gray pick...would love to see him on the team when this draft is over.

steelerfan
04-24-2011, 10:45 AM
A couple of good players who are later round targets that you guys missed.....

Buster Skrine, CB, Chattanooga
Height: 5-10. Weight: 186.
Projected 40 Time: 4.35.
Combine 40 Time: 4.29.
Pro Day 40 Time: DNP.
Benchx225: 20. Vertical: 37. Arm: 30 1/4.
Projected Round (2011): 4-6.

Skrine (pronounced “screen”) is an elite athlete who looks like a perfect fit as a nickel corner in the NFL. He has the athleticism to stay with anyone, but his lack of size and overall bulk limits his upside. He’s one of the better small-school prospects in this draft class and should be a solid mid-round pick.

http://skinnypost.com/whats-the-skinny/nfl-draft-2011-small-school-prospects/

http://www.gomocs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=88682&SPID=10577&DB_OEM_ID=17700&ATCLID=1600015&Q_SEASON=2010

And this kid....

Brandon Fusco, C/G, Slippery Rock (Pennsylvania)
Height: 6-4. Weight: 316.
Projected 40 Time: 5.20.
Combine 40 Time: 5.09.
Pro Day 40 Time: .
Benchx225: . Arm: 33 3/4.
Projected Round (2011): 4-6.

Tough, heady center who has been consistent and productive on the college level. Plays with good quickness, keeps his feet moving, and displays better than average lateral blocking range. Terrific position blocker, stays square, and easily seals defenders from the action. Blocks with a nasty attitude, working hard to finish off defenders. Does a nice job consistently bending his knees and getting leverage. Always looking for someone to hit yet plays within himself and shows good awareness, helping out teammates.
Fusco has been an great player on the college level and possesses the size, physical skills, and attitude to play in the NFL. He has an upside and could break into a starting lineup once he improves his technique.

http://www.rockathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4788&path=football

http://skinnypost.com/whats-the-skinny/nfl-draft-2011-small-school-prospects/

Chidi29
04-24-2011, 11:04 AM
I watched Fusco once. Wasn't very impressed. Looked stiff and didn't appear to do anything that well. Just my opinion though; I know a lot of people like him and he did have a highly decorated college career.

taztroy43
04-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Hey Aussie...I feel the same way about S. Friday...the guy is an athlete at 6'3" over 240....I think he'll be a nice pickup to groom in the later rounds....I would like for the Steelers to look at this guy in the later rounds from Cal: WR Jeremy Ross...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe_Q9UcZpMw , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGvPz1Nhfvw , He reminds me of a mix of Mike Wallace/Emmanuel Sanders/Antonio Brown.... Although he didn't have the production throughout his career he seems like a very raw prospects.... some sites have him as WR/KR/RB/ATH...he seems a little tough so idk maybe he can learn to be an effective blocker...I think he might be a good possibility for us in the 6th or 7th round...His measurables at his pro day were: 6', 209lbs, 40: 4.44, BP-22, verticle-39", 10yd split-1.50, 3 cone: 7.30...What do you guys think about this guy?

steelerfan
04-24-2011, 11:15 AM
I watched Fusco once. Wasn't very impressed. Looked stiff and didn't appear to do anything that well. Just my opinion though; I know a lot of people like him and he did have a highly decorated college career.

For a small school guy, he had good reviews at the Senior Bowl against first rate talent. And his versatility can provide us a better back-up Center then Legursky. In fact, he actually might be taken in the 4th round. A little high for us. But as a late 5th, or 6th rounder, we could do worse.

taztroy43
04-24-2011, 11:19 AM
forgot to add this to my post above....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6NzwlKprV8&feature=related

Chidi29
04-24-2011, 09:30 PM
Had some time and wanted to watch a tackle out of Johnny Culbreath from South Carolina State. Watched two games. Morgan St and Georgia Tech. Report on him.

Pro:

Good frame and long arms with ability to add bulk
Gets arms extended
Plays with a solid foundation, bends at the knees
Fairly athletic
Does a good job getting to and engaging at the second level
Drives with the lower half of his body, keeps legs moving
Good vision, can pick up blitzers
Lots of work cut blocking
Plays to the whistle

Con:

Really bad hand placement
Hands up too high, closer to the face than the chest
Can get beat around the edge because of hand placement (end dips shoulder, small target, OT can't carry end up the field)
Needs to work on his first punch. Not forceful.

--------------

Here are other tidbits about him.

Wrestler in high school.
Worked construction as a teenager. Know he's a tough guy who works hard.
Has a big reason to stick in the NFL and get paid. Mother was just diagnosed with diabetes and doesn't have any health insurance. He obviously wants to do everything he can to help her out.