PDA

View Full Version : Poll Friday: Ranking Ben Roethlisberger

stillers4me
04-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Next week ESPN.com will have its most high-profile and potentially controversial Power Rankings to date. It will involve the glamour position of quarterback.

So for "Poll Friday" we have an interesting question for our AFC North community: Where does Ben Roethlisberger of the Pittsburgh Steelers rank among the NFL's top quarterbacks?

Roethlisberger's backyard style has often drawn criticism but it's effective. He's unconventional and doesn't put up the annual numbers similar to Drew Brees and Peyton Manning. But Roethlisberger wins big games and has two Super Bowl rings to show for it.

There are a lot of great quarterbacks in the NFL, which has quickly become a pass-heavy league. Is Roethlisberger in the top three? Top five? Top 10? ..................

Read more @ http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/26760/poll-friday-ranking-ben-roethlisberger

fansince'76
04-22-2011, 10:30 AM
There are a lot of great quarterbacks in the NFL....No, there really aren't. You can reasonably rank about 6-8 as "top echelon," but after that select group there is a pretty significant dropoff.

All homerism and bias aside, I would personally put Ben #5 behind Brady, Manning, Brees and Rodgers. I know some would make an argument for Rivers and say Ben has had the benefit of a ton of talent around him, but Rivers has had the benefit of being surrounded with a boatload of talent as well and hasn't won squat with it.

st33lersguy
04-22-2011, 11:02 AM
You can make a case for Ben being No. 1. Most Superbowls won without cheating, no other QB succeeds behind a porous O-line, he is a playmaker, and he is a leader.

SteelerEmpire
04-22-2011, 12:00 PM
You can make a case for Ben being No. 1. Most Superbowls won without cheating, no other QB succeeds behind a porous O-line, he is a playmaker, and he is a leader.

Yep. I'd say it alternates through-out the season who's #1 between Ben, Brady, Manning and Rogers. But if I were to take my pic out of all of them in a PLAYOFF game post-season, Ben is the only selection I'd feel comfortable with.

steelerdude15
04-22-2011, 02:02 PM
I'm surprised to see the love for Ben on the poll. Most people have him between 4-6. I have Ben at 4 on my personal list.

Butch
04-22-2011, 02:14 PM
I take brady down a few pegs because he had the benifit of camera's and he never actually won any big games instead he has relied on having a Great Kicker

I'm also still out on Rogers, he had a great year last year but let me see how he does this year, I will give him credit for having lead his injury prone team to the big game and winning it but have to see what he does over a longer period.

Peyton has a history of chokes mostly against a team that cheated, although he did lose to us and a few others since then

I respect the hell outta brees, he's overcome a lot of adversity and has done well as a leader.

Call me a HOMER but I'll still go with Ben #1. He isn't always good or even Great but when the game is on the line he has pulled this team out of the fire, sometimes a fire that he helped create, but he still does it. He has done it with a revolving door of WR's and has succeeded earlier than anybody ever thought he would.

He has shown he has guts playing better when he gets hurt and he definitely has the drive I want in a player ESPECIALLY a QB. His so-so stats are his anchor but I am still willing to take what he gives and put him at number 1!!!

polamalubeast
04-22-2011, 02:41 PM
The Steelers score 348 points in 13 playoff games with Roethlisberger as QB!

It is an impressive stats !.... He only Troy Aikmen and Kurt Warner has a better average points per game in the playoffs that Roethlisberger..... In his 3 losses in the playoffs, the Steelers score averaged 27 points per game.

Now it's Aaron Rodgers he is the best in this category (166 points in 5 playoff games), but remains the steelers score many points with Roethisberger as QB in the playoffs.

The Chargers only score 139 points in 7 playoff games with Rivers ...... In 2006, Tomilison had 125 yards rushing and the defense had three interceptions against the Patriots, but the Chargers lost the game.

Peyton Manning since 2007, he played well in the playoffs ... the problem is that the defense has to stay too long on the field during his games.

Drew Brees is just incredible in the playoffs and of course his defense was atrocious against the Seahawks, to which is the reason why the Saints lost.

Brady has not been very good in the playoffs in the last 2 years, but it is one of the best QB in the history of the NFL season ...... its 2007 and 2010 is just incredible.

SteelGhost
04-23-2011, 11:23 PM
I take brady down a few pegs because he had the benifit of camera's and he never actually won any big games instead he has relied on having a Great Kicker

I'm also still out on Rogers, he had a great year last year but let me see how he does this year, I will give him credit for having lead his injury prone team to the big game and winning it but have to see what he does over a longer period.

Peyton has a history of chokes mostly against a team that cheated, although he did lose to us and a few others since then

I respect the hell outta brees, he's overcome a lot of adversity and has done well as a leader.

Call me a HOMER but I'll still go with Ben #1. He isn't always good or even Great but when the game is on the line he has pulled this team out of the fire, sometimes a fire that he helped create, but he still does it. He has done it with a revolving door of WR's and has succeeded earlier than anybody ever thought he would.

He has shown he has guts playing better when he gets hurt and he definitely has the drive I want in a player ESPECIALLY a QB. His so-so stats are his anchor but I am still willing to take what he gives and put him at number 1!!!

Well said Sir :applaudit:

steeldevil
04-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Can't see how a reasonable football fan could have Ben any lower than 6th. If they do they are just haters.

Craic
04-24-2011, 11:45 PM
I put Ben n the 4-6 category when I first did this poll. I, personally, would want no one else with this team. But once again, If you put all the QB's in a positions where they are judged purely on throwing, reading defenses, etc. etc. Ben isn't in the top three.

The poll I want to see is, Who is the top "Gamer" QB. What QB, do you trust to reach down and pull a highlight real of plays out of his arse to win a game.

I vote Ben every day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

86WARD
04-25-2011, 07:55 AM
Ben's easily in the 4-6 category. I personally think an argument could be made for Top-3/Top-2. The only one you can't argue Brady...but Manning, Brees the argument is there and Rodgers and Rivers...not close. Rodgers needs more time. Rivers comparison is a joke.

tube517
04-25-2011, 08:34 AM
If BSPN is putting out another poll, it will be another one I will ignore. Ben is #5 as a pure passer, maybe even lower. As an overall QB, he is easily in the top 3. Nobody can extend plays like him. As a bar patron, he ranks dead last.

silver & black
04-25-2011, 08:40 PM
No, there really aren't. You can reasonably rank about 6-8 as "top echelon," but after that select group there is a pretty significant dropoff.

All homerism and bias aside, I would personally put Ben #5 behind Brady, Manning, Brees and Rodgers. I know some would make an argument for Rivers and say Ben has had the benefit of a ton of talent around him, but Rivers has had the benefit of being surrounded with a boatload of talent as well and hasn't won squat with it.

I would agree with you.