PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben's draft profile.

zulater
04-21-2011, 12:14 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2004/draft/players/53419.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2004/draft/players/images/ben_roethlisberger.jpg

Position: QB
Class: Underclassman
School: Miami (OH)
Conference: MAC
Ht., Wt.: 6'5, 247
40 Time: 4.94
Grade: 4.99

Selected by Pittsburgh Steelers
Round 1, pick 11 (11 overall)

BIO: First-team all-conference choice garnering All American notice as a junior after passing numbers of 69.1 percent/4,486/37/10 with an efficiency rating of 165.84. Established Miami single season records for pass completions and passing yards, breaking his own totals from 2002. Sophomore numbers were 63.3 percent/3,238/22/11. Named MAC Freshman of the Year in 2001 after completing 66.3 percent/3,105/25/13. Joined Chad Pennington and Byron Leftwich as the only MAC quarterbacks to pass for 3,000 or more yards in three separate seasons and accumulated 10,829 yards passing during that time.

POSITIVES: Big-armed pocket passer with the ability to grow into a franchise quarterback. Sets up to deliver the ball with solid footwork, stands strong in the pocket and smart. Sells the ball fakes, scans the field and consistently finds the open pass-catcher. Senses the rush yet buys as much time as possible, waiting for the last second before releasing the ball. Rarely panics, in complete control of the offense and a true leader behind center. Natural looking off the safety, throws with a fluid over delivery and possesses a big arm. Drives deep passes downfield, puts zip on the intermediate routes as well as velocity on all his throws. Throws tight spirals and beautifully arches deep throws. Leads receivers over the middle and very accurate. Gets outside tackle and accurate passing on the move. Does not make poor decisions and always working to make positive plays.

NEGATIVES: A pocket passer with marginal mobility and cannot escape the rush. Must improve his downfield accuracy as well as the placement of the outs. Majority of snaps are taken out of the shotgun.

ANALYSIS: A high-character prospect well liked and respected, Roethlisberger is gifted both physically and intellectually. Possesses the skills a franchise can build their team around for a winning future. May not offer early returns but has more upside potential than any other signal-caller in this draft.

PROJECTION: Early First Round

SteelerSal
04-21-2011, 12:56 PM
POSITIVES: Big-armed pocket passer with the ability to grow into a franchise quarterback. Sets up to deliver the ball with solid footwork, stands strong in the pocket and smart. Sells the ball fakes, scans the field and consistently finds the open pass-catcher. Senses the rush yet buys as much time as possible, waiting for the last second before releasing the ball. Rarely panics, in complete control of the offense and a true leader behind center. Natural looking off the safety, throws with a fluid over delivery and possesses a big arm. Drives deep passes downfield, puts zip on the intermediate routes as well as velocity on all his throws. Throws tight spirals and beautifully arches deep throws. Leads receivers over the middle and very accurate. Gets outside tackle and accurate passing on the move. Does not make poor decisions and always working to make positive plays.

NEGATIVES: A pocket passer with marginal mobility and cannot escape the rush. Must improve his downfield accuracy as well as the placement of the outs. Majority of snaps are taken out of the shotgun.

Pretty good analysis accept for the bold part in the "negatives"

Bluecoat96
04-21-2011, 01:03 PM

I had a good laugh at that. Someone really screwed the pooch on that assessment of Ben.

zulater
04-21-2011, 01:22 PM

ANALYSIS: A high-character prospect well liked and respected

Or if you weren't a Steeler's fan you might have went here. :chuckle: :wink02:

Psycho Ward 86
04-21-2011, 01:24 PM
Wow, crazy how that entire assessment still sounds like Big Ben. Except for the mobility part.

BigNastyDefense
04-21-2011, 05:31 PM
If Ben isn't mobile, then I would hate to see a QB with mobility lmao.

Craic
04-21-2011, 08:05 PM
Notice however, that they said he had marginal mobility-not none, but marginal mobility.
I wouldn't call Ben mobile. Any of you see him running down the field? It's painful to watch. I think a "Mobile" QB is someone who can tuck the ball and go, making a team respect his legs as well as his arm on every down. That's not Ben. What Ben IS, is a magician at escaping the Rush. Yes, Ben can tuck the ball. Yes he can pick up yards. But the "Go" part I'm not so sure of :chuckle: And before everyone starts quoting stats at me. I'll ask when those rush yards and YPA rushing averages developed. The answer is, when we are in a 3rd in 9 (or, with this team, usually a 3rd and 19) and the receivers are 20, 30, 40 yards down field, as are the DB's-who can't just swarm to Ben, cause they have to watch out for Hines and his protégé.

SteelGhost
04-21-2011, 08:51 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2004/draft/players/53419.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2004/draft/players/images/ben_roethlisberger.jpg

Position: QB
Class: Underclassman
School: Miami (OH)
Conference: MAC
Ht., Wt.: 6'5, 247
40 Time: 4.94
Grade: 4.99

Selected by Pittsburgh Steelers
Round 1, pick 11 (11 overall)

BIO: First-team all-conference choice garnering All American notice as a junior after passing numbers of 69.1 percent/4,486/37/10 with an efficiency rating of 165.84. Established Miami single season records for pass completions and passing yards, breaking his own totals from 2002. Sophomore numbers were 63.3 percent/3,238/22/11. Named MAC Freshman of the Year in 2001 after completing 66.3 percent/3,105/25/13. Joined Chad Pennington and Byron Leftwich as the only MAC quarterbacks to pass for 3,000 or more yards in three separate seasons and accumulated 10,829 yards passing during that time.

ANALYSIS: A high-character prospect well liked and respected, Roethlisberger is gifted both physically and intellectually. Possesses the skills a franchise can build their team around for a winning future. May not offer early returns but has more upside potential than any other signal-caller in this draft.

PROJECTION: Early First Round

Thanks for prove them wrong BB :applaudit:

tihmtahm
04-22-2011, 01:50 AM
Nice pick Cow-wuh!

st33lersguy
04-22-2011, 06:04 AM
Is it just that Ben wasn't pressured that often in college and didn't get to see him do that.
Seemed like a positive review and a profile of someone worthy of the 6th overall pick right Cleveland?

siss
04-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Yea but we got him and he's ours (most days)!

Steeldude
04-22-2011, 01:30 PM
A pocket passer with marginal mobility and cannot escape the rush. Must improve his downfield accuracy as well as the placement of the outs. Majority of snaps are taken out of the shotgun.

the first statement is wrong, but the second one is correct.

Psycho Ward 86
04-22-2011, 05:40 PM
I wouldn't call Ben mobile. Any of you see him running down the field? It's painful to watch. I think a "Mobile" QB is someone who can tuck the ball and go, making a team respect his legs as well as his arm on every down. That's not Ben.

Idk man, I get the fuzzies when Ben tucks that ball and guns it for an opening. And I mean the good kind!

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Nobody knows who did the scouting assessment on him. If they did any homework they would have uncovered that he played WR in highschool, as well as basketball and i think shortstop. The athleticism wasnt a question. The MAC was more of a question.

Craic
04-22-2011, 08:38 PM
Idk man, I get the fuzzies when Ben tucks that ball and guns it for an opening. And I mean the good kind!

I understand what you mean. But for me, it's more because Ben usually makes GOOD DECISIONS about when to run. He also has enough heart that he's going to run through a tackle or stretch to get that 1st down.
There's no doubt he's a gamer, and his running comes from that. Not mobility. I'm serious, go back and watch him running on some of those plays. It is downright painful! :rofl:

Psycho Ward 86
04-22-2011, 08:42 PM
I understand what you mean. But for me, it's more because Ben usually makes GOOD DECISIONS about when to run. He also has enough heart that he's going to run through a tackle or stretch to get that 1st down.
There's no doubt he's a gamer, and his running comes from that. Not mobility. I'm serious, go back and watch him running on some of those plays. It is downright painful! :rofl:

haha agreed, is it just me or does it look like his shoulder pads just shake really excessively when he's running lol