PDA

View Full Version : What Can the Steelers Expect From a Rookie CB in 2011?

stillers4me
04-21-2011, 05:00 AM
I think we all agree on this: the Steelers could use a young cornerback whether free agent Ike Taylor is a member of the team in 2011 or not. If any of these mock drafts are accurate, and if a large portion of the fan base has its way next Thursday night, the Steelers’ top pick will, in fact, be a cornerback. But how would it impact the Steelers defense in 2011?

On Monday, Pro Football Talk’s Monday Gregg Rosenthal wrote about Houston’s reported love of LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson and how they might move up in the draft (as they would no doubt need to do) to pick him. In that post Rosenthal wrote this (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/18/the-texans-heart-patrick-peterson/) about Houston cornerback Kareem Jackson: “The Texans were desperate for a starting cornerback this year, to the point everyone fully expected them to take their top-ranked with their first pick, and that’s exactly what they did. They drafted Kareem Jackson, he started all season, and few cornerbacks in the NFL played worse last season.”

That last sentence isn’t an exaggeration. He was bad. Really bad. According to Football Outsiders’ game-charting data (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2011/worst-cornerback-charting-stats-2010), no cornerback gave up more yards per pass or more yards after catch in 2010 than Jackson, and it’s not like this was some guy Houston picked up off the scrap heap; He was the 20th overall pick in the draft and the second cornerback taken (Cleveland selected Joe Haden with the No. 7 overall pick)...............

Read more @ http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/04/cornerback-save-steelers-pass-defense-2011/

86WARD
04-21-2011, 06:51 AM
To make Bryant McFadden and William Gay battle for the nickelback spot?

Psycho Ward 86
04-21-2011, 08:23 AM

I'd friggin' hope so...

SteelerFanInStl
04-21-2011, 09:47 AM

Gay would be the nickel and McFadden would be gone.

Steeldude
04-21-2011, 10:47 AM
IMO, the CBs left at #31 will be reaches. i don't want another chad scott.

86WARD
04-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Williams, Harris and/or Dowling could be available at 31. None of those would be reaches. It's also possible that all of them could be gone. Williams and Harris more so than Dowling. But none of them would be "reaches." Could the get Dowling in the second? Maybe. Maybe not. His stock is shooting up right now as is Williams'.

The Duke
04-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Williams, Harris and/or Dowling could be available at 31. None of those would be reaches. It's also possible that all of them could be gone. Williams and Harris more so than Dowling. But none of them would be "reaches." Could the get Dowling in the second? Maybe. Maybe not. His stock is shooting up right now as is Williams'.

I honestly think Harris would be a reach. He never impressed me, other than his great athleticism, at Miami. If they are gonna reach for one I'd rather it be Dowling

solardave
04-22-2011, 01:18 AM
IMO, the CBs left at #31 will be reaches. i don't want another chad scott.

There's a name to forget. Man I wanted that dude gone years before Cowher let he walk.

steelerfan
04-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Serious people, what is it with all this Chad Scott hate here ? You all act as if he was a total Bust. Dude had a career 21 interceptions. 19 which he had for us, and 4 of those he returned for TD's. I mean NO, he was not All-world. But you all act as if HE was the poster Boy for bad 1st round CB's selected high ( Round 1 or 2 )...by the steelers. Hey, anyone hear of a guy the steelers selected even HIGHER in round 1 a few years earlier named " Deon Figures! ? Or how about a guy that Bill Cowher fell in love with and " CREAMED "
all over himself, insisting not only that Colbert draft him, but we actually traded UP in round 2 to take this guy....anyone here ever hear of Ricardo Colclough ? ( YUK )

I mean leave Chad alone. He was NOT that bad for us. :nono:

TMC
04-22-2011, 04:22 PM
Statistically, 30% of all first round corners will be busts. So, one in three won't cut it. But, that does not mean the draft cannot provide you with a corner. You just have to get the right one. I was not a big Joe Haden fan...and I still am not, but he played well last year. Devin McCourty was very good. Alterraun Verner showed good things. Syd'Quan Thompson had a solid rookie debut.

The key is to find the right guy, regardless of round or position. Sometimes we go so caught up in needing to fill a position we overlook the player. My choice is Ras-I. If he would not have struggled with injury, he would have been a top 20 talent.

LLT
04-22-2011, 05:22 PM
Statistically, 30% of all first round corners will be busts. So, one in three won't cut it. But, that does not mean the draft cannot provide you with a corner. You just have to get the right one. I was not a big Joe Haden fan...and I still am not, but he played well last year. Devin McCourty was very good. Alterraun Verner showed good things. Syd'Quan Thompson had a solid rookie debut.

The key is to find the right guy, regardless of round or position. Sometimes we go so caught up in needing to fill a position we overlook the player. My choice is Ras-I. If he would not have struggled with injury, he would have been a top 20 talent.

This.

SteelerFanInStl
04-22-2011, 07:02 PM

The key is to find the right guy, regardless of round or position. Sometimes we go so caught up in needing to fill a position we overlook the player. <b>My choice is Ras-I.</b> If he would not have struggled with injury, he would have been a top 20 talent.

I like him too. If we could trade down into the top of the 2nd and take him, that would be perfect.

Steeldude
04-22-2011, 11:48 PM
Serious people, what is it with all this Chad Scott hate here ? You all act as if he was a total Bust. Dude had a career 21 interceptions. 19 which he had for us, and 4 of those he returned for TD's. I mean NO, he was not All-world. But you all act as if HE was the poster Boy for bad 1st round CB's selected high ( Round 1 or 2 )...by the steelers. Hey, anyone hear of a guy the steelers selected even HIGHER in round 1 a few years earlier named " Deon Figures! ? Or how about a guy that Bill Cowher fell in love with and " CREAMED "
all over himself, insisting not only that Colbert draft him, but we actually traded UP in round 2 to take this guy....anyone here ever hear of Ricardo Colclough ? ( YUK )

IMO, he was a bust. he was burned so often you could call him toast. it shouldn't take a first round pick 5 years to be a starter

solardave
04-23-2011, 04:14 AM

21 INT's Burned 347 times. Yeah man, he was that bad!!!!