PDA

View Full Version : Harris: Steelers will likely seek value

steelerfan
04-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Harris: Steelers likely will seek value
By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The memory still lingers from two years ago, when the Steelers bypassed other positions of need in the NFL Draft to select defensive end Ziggy Hood with the No. 32 — and final — pick in the first round.

Why take Hood with linebackers James Laurinaitis and Rey Maualuga, cornerback Alphonso Smith, tackle Eben Britton and center Max Unger still available?

We all know the spiel by now: The Steelers spend their draft dollars wisely. They don't yield to public opinion, and they don't believe in paying first-round money to a player who doesn't have a first-round draft grade.

The Steelers drafted Hood in the first round because he filled a need, and his grade justified their selection.

Read more: Harris: Steelers likely will seek value - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_733049.html#ixzz1K4TRaMo9

Fans, I agree with most of this story. Especially as it goes to Dick Lebeau's defense being too complicated for young, first year CB's to pick up on. Which is one of the reasons why I am still not giving up on players like K.Lewis or C.Butler yet. I do disagree though about Peterson and Prince Amukamara being the only two DB's in this draft with a 1st round grade. As LLT reiterated, if it weren't for his injuries this season, Ras I Dowling would definitely have a 1st round grade....not saying we should select him at 31, but if we can deal down, address one of the OL or DL needs at 63, and then grab Dowling a few spots lower then 31 after the trade down, then you DO IT.

But that not withstanding, I agree with the story. BTW, I LOVE the comment...Steelers want a kid from Macy's while shopping at Wal-Mart!....Heck, don't we all :toofunny:

LLT
04-20-2011, 09:08 AM
steelerfan....we are bringing you around in regards to Dowling! GOOD MAN!!!! LOL!!!

steelerfan
04-20-2011, 09:24 AM
steelerfan....we are bringing you around in regards to Dowling! GOOD MAN!!!! LOL!!!

Thanks LLT. BTW, Sorry I posted that story incorrectly. Please forgive me sir, I am computer STUPID for the most part. I don't know how to place a story, or even a section of a story in that Box like you did. Again, sorry sir.

LLT
04-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Thanks LLT. BTW, Sorry I posted that story incorrectly. Please forgive me sir, I am computer STUPID for the most part. I don't know how to place a story, or even a section of a story in that Box like you did. Again, sorry sir.

It doesnt have to be in the box....Just always try and only post the first couple of paragraphs and the link. I put it into quotes so that it seperated your comments from the story.

LLT
04-20-2011, 12:38 PM
I dont think DT J.J. Watt will be on the boards when we pick...and I am beginning to think that OG Danny Baylor is going earlier than people predict.

Very good chance that DE's Heyward and Wilkerson are there for us...as well as OT Sherrod.and I am going to go out on a limb and say that we might see Clayborn slide a little in the first round. Some teams will use the excess talent at the DE position as a reason for by-passing Clayborn and the Erb's Palsey he has in his one arm.

I also think that the inoperable foot ailment that Phil Taylor has, will scare some teams off. Big guys like him who rely on leverage....are going to be affected by a that type of injury, especially when he says that its just a matter of "pain tolerance"....(Yikes)