PDA

View Full Version : New NHL TV Deal

oneforthetoe
04-19-2011, 04:03 PM
NHL to remain with NBC, Versus:

NEW YORK -- The NHL is staying on NBC and Versus for the next 10 years with a deal commissioner Gary Bettman calls the most significant in league history.

In a joint announcement Tuesday, the NHL and the NBC Sports Group said the new deal will run through the 2020-21 season. The package is reportedly worth a total of $2 billion.

For the most part I think this was a wise decision by the NHL. Many, like myself, would not have minded seeing ESPN get a package of some kind again in order to increase hockey's exposure.. I was ready with my, "put the Mullet in the booth campaign." But, alas it was not to be. The truth is the NHL on ESPN would have been shown exclusively on ESPN 47, the Bolivian Channel, so I guess it is of little loss.

The only part of this deal I am uneasy about (other than the fact that Comcast ,which now includes NBC and Versus, owns the Broad Street Buffoons) is:

For the first time, all Stanley Cup playoff games will air on one of the NBC Sports Group's channels. Beginning in the second round and running through the finals, those channels will hold exclusivity. NBC will show up to five games of the Stanley Cup finals, with Versus airing

So, no more Root Sports after the first round?

Overall thought, this is a good deal for the NHL. The NHL has needed a consistent TV deal for years now; instead of the bouncing from network to network as they did through the 90's and 00's, like this one girl I used to know who .... oh wait, never mind.

I guess I'll just have to accept no "Mullet" in the booth.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6389351

X-Terminator
04-19-2011, 04:37 PM
I don't like that they're putting the screws to the local and regional sports networks after the first round of the playoffs. I really miss when every game was on local TV. But other than that, I have no problems with the deal. I'm not a huge fan of NBC's coverage, but I do like Versus' coverage and that they will be televising more games starting next year. It will also push the salary cap up a fair bit, so that the Pens will be able to keep more of their players around. Gary Bettman finally got his big TV deal that he's wanted for years, and he can partially thank Sidney Crosby for it.

oneforthetoe
04-19-2011, 05:26 PM
I don't like that they're putting the screws to the local and regional sports networks after the first round of the playoffs. I really miss when every game was on local TV. But other than that, I have no problems with the deal. I'm not a huge fan of NBC's coverage, but I do like Versus' coverage and that they will be televising more games starting next year. It will also push the salary cap up a fair bit, so that the Pens will be able to keep more of their players around. Gary Bettman finally got his big TV deal that he's wanted for years, and he can partially thank Sidney Crosby for it.

And all this time I thought this was the face if the NHL:

http://thefastertimes.com/hockey/files/2011/01/ovy1.jpg

Or this:
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n1/wop2nv/40140462d0902eb3a2.jpg

:chuckle::wink02:

steelpride12
04-19-2011, 06:08 PM
No more big screen for Pens playoff games! :(

oneforthetoe
04-19-2011, 06:12 PM

Maybe the first round?

steelpride12
04-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Well whenever this goes into affect I expect the NBC to eliminate any chance for the big screen as they have done before.

oneforthetoe
04-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Well whenever this goes into affect I expect the NBC to eliminate any chance for the big screen as they have done before.

I still don't think that would effect the Root games. However, after the first round you are probably right. Still, about the best deal possible with a major US network.

steelpride12
04-19-2011, 06:29 PM
It's not good for local TV IMO, but for nation recognition and a chance for more people who don't know hockey well to get a strong dose of it I like it!

X-Terminator
04-19-2011, 07:31 PM

They'd be allowed to have it for the first round since ROOT Sports will carry the games. After that, more than likely not, even if the game is on another of their networks like USA or MSNBC. The beauty of the deal is that all of the playoff games will be televised rather than just a couple per night. Plus, rumor has it that VS will be renamed "NBC Sports 1" and it will be available in more homes than VS is now.

steelpride12
04-19-2011, 08:34 PM
They'd be allowed to have it for the first round since ROOT Sports will carry the games. After that, more than likely not, even if the game is on another of their networks like USA or MSNBC. The beauty of the deal is that all of the playoff games will be televised rather than just a couple per night. Plus, rumor has it that VS will be renamed "NBC Sports 1" and it will be available in more homes than VS is now.
Which is why I like the deal. More availability means more people to be able to watch and witness hockey on national television.

steelerdude15
04-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Which is why I like the deal. More availability means more people to be able to watch and witness hockey on national television.

Yes!!!! Some of us can't watch most games, so the more on national television is fine with me, that is until I move to Pittsburgh in the next couple of years.

oneforthetoe
04-21-2011, 04:52 PM
I don't have a link to any type of proof, but apparently the ESPN offer was for one game a week on ESPN 2, with zero chance of any games appearing on ABC. If that rumor is true NBC/Comcast was definitely the better deal.

tihmtahm
04-22-2011, 01:53 AM
New deal or not... we still haven't gotten a single Pens playoff game here in Cali. *sigh*

X-Terminator
04-22-2011, 06:18 AM
New deal or not... we still haven't gotten a single Pens playoff game here in Cali. *sigh*

Well, if you have VS and are willing to be up at 9am, they are showing tomorrow's game.

tihmtahm
04-22-2011, 09:52 PM
Well, if you have VS and are willing to be up at 9am, they are showing tomorrow's game.

Thank you...I noticed that as well... And yes, I will be up and watching!