PDA

View Full Version : Draft trade Idea thread

steelerfan
04-19-2011, 09:11 AM
Hi fans. Hey, we all have trade up, or trade down ideas. And I suggested one in my Mock draft with the 49ers, and LLT I know had one Involving the Broncos. But I thought it would be nice to have a thread SOLELY for posting draft trade ideas before the draft, and ones that actually happen on draft day(s). So go ahead, fire away!

Another possible trade down idea was this. It Involves the only team without a 1st round pick,,,the Raiders ( Yuk, our enemy )..However it goes like this.

Steelers trade pick 31 to Oakland for their pick in round 2 at 48. As a result we also SWITCH places in round 3, Steelers get the Raiders pick at 81, and the Raiders get ours at 95. In addition we get the Raiders 4th rounder at 113, and their 6th rounder at 181.

This way Oakland can target maybe one of the QB's at 31 who are rising very fast, and probably won't make it to 48. Or take a still decent remaining Tackle they need like Solder or a DE like Wilkerson. The Steelers move down yes. But at 48, they still might be able to get the player(s) they might have been targeting at 31, like Dowling-Hudson-Cannon-Ellis, ect. And then still have their bottom of round 2 selection, and now have a much higher 3rd rounder to use, as well as multiple 4th rounders now, and 6th rounders to round out future depth.

So, what's my grade ? :pointlaugh:

LLT
04-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Oakland is "usually" more apt to trade picks for veteran players then they are to trade pick for pick. They got Randy Moss for a 1st round pick in 2005...Deangelo Hall for a 2nd round pick in 2008.... used a 2011 first round pick for Richard "sucker-punch" Seymour... and a 4th round pick in 2012 for Jason Campbell.

Thats not to say that they wont trade picks...its just not been their M.O. lately.

As I said yesterday...I think this is the year to trade down. I would love to be able to accumulate a couple more picks while putting us in the position to grab Dowling. Like Tex, I am convinced that he is severly underrated and I have him ranked above Smith and Harris. ANY scenerio that gets us into the 40-50 range (or better)....is a good scenerio.

taztroy43
04-19-2011, 11:56 AM
I feel exactly the same about Dowling LLT and Tex....I would like the Steelers to trade down but I don't want them to trade to the middle of round 2 because if we do, we wouldn't have a shot at Dowling IMO. The cowboys, niners, broncos, raiders, and possibly some other teams are looking for a CB early in Round 2(maybe even the packers in the 1st)...so if we trade down I hope we trade down with a team that has a top 7 selection in round 2....I really want to see Dowling in the Steelers uniform this year! He has the same size and athletic ability as Jimmy Smith but he is the better tackler which IMO fits our defense way better than J. Smith would...I wanted the Steelers to draft this guy since last year but he decided to go back to school and now we have a realistic shot at him....I say we trade down for him...what do you guys think?

LLT
04-19-2011, 01:37 PM
I feel exactly the same about Dowling LLT and Tex....I would like the Steelers to trade down but I don't want them to trade to the middle of round 2 because if we do, we wouldn't have a shot at Dowling IMO. The cowboys, niners, broncos, raiders, and possibly some other teams are looking for a CB early in Round 2(maybe even the packers in the 1st)...so if we trade down I hope we trade down with a team that has a top 7 selection in round 2....I really want to see Dowling in the Steelers uniform this year! He has the same size and athletic ability as Jimmy Smith but he is the better tackler which IMO fits our defense way better than J. Smith would...I wanted the Steelers to draft this guy since last year but he decided to go back to school and now we have a realistic shot at him....I say we trade down for him...what do you guys think?

When I start matching players to team needs in the 2nd round...the most realistic scenerio seems to be that the Cardinals...Titans...Vikings...or 49ers will end up being our trade partner.

Most likely we would take a harder look at offers fron Arizona and Tenessee because it would place us above all the teams you mentioned except Denver...and I think that Denver is going to have their eye on Phil Taylor, who is sliding down draft boards because of the inoperable foot ailment that has been disclosed.

By the way...I would add Detroit to your list of teams that might want Dowling...but they are also drafting after Arizona and Tenessee.

Aussie_steeler
04-19-2011, 06:49 PM
When I start matching players to team needs in the 2nd round...the most realistic scenerio seems to be that the Cardinals...Titans...Vikings...or 49ers will end up being our trade partner.

Most likely we would take a harder look at offers fron Arizona and Tenessee because it would place us above all the teams you mentioned except Denver...and I think that Denver is going to have their eye on Phil Taylor, who is sliding down draft boards because of the inoperable foot ailment that has been disclosed.

By the way...I would add Detroit to your list of teams that might want Dowling...but they are also drafting after Arizona and Tenessee.

LLT - dont rule out the Bills.

I think they will go QB in the 2nd round. With the new draft structure you get a chance to reload your draft board at the end of the first round. You also get a whole day to organise a trade with the Patriots sitting pretty at #2 - 1 (with Carolina's pick).

I can see a couple of teams wanting to get into the last 5 picks of round 1 to snare a QB (Vikings, Jags, Cardinals, Titans). They wont waste their first round picks because of the premium Defensive talent available in the top 20. They will bundle up picks to move up from their respective positions in the 2nd round.

can Buffalo afford to sit and watch other teams jump above them on day 2 and miss out on their QB ( ANDY DALTON imo)???

The trade would only cost them the extra 4th round pick they have ( 4 - 25)

Steelers 1 - 31 for Buffalos 2-4 and 4-25 ( and throw in 7-3 for incentive).

Possible Steelers Mock Draft off this scenario

2-4 Ras I Dowling CB
2-31 James Carpenter OT
3-31 Greg Little WR
4-25 Curtis Marsh CB
4-31 Ross Homan OLB
5-31 Chris Hairston OT
6-31 Frank Kearse NT
7-3 Mario Fannin RB
7-31 Kai Forbath K

would that work?????

steelerfan
04-19-2011, 07:01 PM

I think they will go QB in the 2nd round. With the new draft structure you get a chance to reload your draft board at the end of the first round. You also get a whole day to organise a trade with the Patriots sitting pretty at #2 - 1 (with Carolina's pick).

I can see a couple of teams wanting to get into the last 5 picks of round 1 to snare a QB (Vikings, Jags, Cardinals, Titans). They wont waste their first round picks because of the premium Defensive talent available in the top 20. They will bundle up picks to move up from their respective positions in the 2nd round.

can Buffalo afford to sit and watch other teams jump above them on day 2 and miss out on their QB ( ANDY DALTON imo)???

2-4 Ras I Dowling CB
2-31 James Carpenter OT
3-31 Greg Little WR
4-25 Curtis Marsh CB
4-31 Ross Homan OLB
5-31 Chris Hairston OT
6-31 Frank Kearse NT
7-3 Mario Fannin RB
7-31 Kai Forbath K

would that work?????

Aussie, Buffalo is taking Blaine Gabbert. I don't buy into this Von Miller hype at all. They also could deal down from 3, and target someone in the 18-23 range as well. But most likely, unless he is gone, Gabbert is their dude.

steelerfan
04-19-2011, 07:17 PM
[QUOTE=Aussie_steeler;156454]LLT - dont rule out the Bills.

Also Aussie, why do you say 2-4 ?...Buffalo does not have the 4th pick in round 2. They have the SECOND pick. So you really believe that Buffalo is gonna trade therir 4th & 7th rounders to move up 3 spots ? Using the Trade Value chart, the difference from 31 to 34 is just 30 points. Hell Buffalo's 4th rounder alone is worth 50 points. Add in the 7th rounder which is 9 points and Buffalo is way over-paying us to move up 3 spots to get someone who will likely be there at 34 anyways. Also, if we technically move out of round 1 into round 2, even if it's just a few spots, we will likely lose a year on the players contract. Cause all 1st rounders usually sign a 5 year deal, sometimes 6 years if it's a QB. But 2nd rounders usually ink a 4 year deal. And since our first pick probably won't play alot, we will need that extra 5th year of the contract so we will have said player for four solid seasons of play.

Honestly Aussie, that deal is not likely for just 3 spots. Not to us, or Buffalo.

7willBheaven
04-19-2011, 11:22 PM
[QUOTE=Aussie_steeler;156454]LLT - dont rule out the Bills.

Also Aussie, why do you say 2-4 ?...Buffalo does not have the 4th pick in round 2. They have the SECOND pick. So you really believe that Buffalo is gonna trade therir 4th & 7th rounders to move up 3 spots ? Using the Trade Value chart, the difference from 31 to 34 is just 30 points. Hell Buffalo's 4th rounder alone is worth 50 points. Add in the 7th rounder which is 9 points and Buffalo is way over-paying us to move up 3 spots to get someone who will likely be there at 34 anyways. Also, if we technically move out of round 1 into round 2, even if it's just a few spots, we will likely lose a year on the players contract. Cause all 1st rounders usually sign a 5 year deal, sometimes 6 years if it's a QB. But 2nd rounders usually ink a 4 year deal. And since our first pick probably won't play alot, we will need that extra 5th year of the contract so we will have said player for four solid seasons of play.

Honestly Aussie, that deal is not likely for just 3 spots. Not to us, or Buffalo.

While you are probably right about it not happening (a deal like this w/ Buffalo). But it is possible....especially when teams REALLY want to move up...they will sometimes give up more than they may need to. I've called it the "incentive factor" before...as in an extra incentive for the team they want to trade with to move down. Its like hey your the one who wants my pick and want me to move down...give me something extra to convince me to do so. Depending what player Buffalo could target to move up its possible...but if its a QB and GB/NE dont move down...then they would be no reason to move up. But just saying things like this are easily possible.

Steeltreal
04-19-2011, 11:27 PM
Could a possible trade up to #14 the Rams work. A team that has a bunch of holes could use extra picks and possibly an extra wide receiver Mr Limas Sweed.

Then we can possibly draft DE Cameron Jordan or a sliding #1 OT/OG prospect.

steelerfan
04-19-2011, 11:28 PM
[QUOTE=steelerfan;156465]

While you are probably right about it not happening (a deal like this w/ Buffalo). But it is possible....especially when teams REALLY want to move up...they will sometimes give up more than they may need to. I've called it the "incentive factor" before...as in an extra incentive for the team they want to trade with to move down. Its like hey your the one who wants my pick and want me to move down...give me something extra to convince me to do so. Depending what player Buffalo could target to move up its possible...but if its a QB and GB/NE dont move down...then they would be no reason to move up. But just saying things like this are easily possible.

I understand what you are saying. But alot of the time teams looking to trade down usually are not the team with the power. However with that said, you have to admit that Buffalo would not send us a 4th to move up 3 spots. Maybe a 5th and a 7th, but that's about it.

7willBheaven
04-19-2011, 11:31 PM
Could a possible trade up to #14 the Rams work. A team that has a bunch of holes could use extra picks and possibly an extra wide receiver Mr Limas Sweed.

Then we can possibly draft DE Cameron Jordan or a sliding #1 OT/OG prospect.

It would take way to much to move up that many spots. It would take a majority of the Steelers draft picks. And right now Sweed has no value. Not worth it.

LLT
04-20-2011, 08:40 AM

2-4 Ras I Dowling CB
2-31 James Carpenter OT
3-31 Greg Little WR
4-25 Curtis Marsh CB
4-31 Ross Homan OLB
5-31 Chris Hairston OT
6-31 Frank Kearse NT
7-3 Mario Fannin RB
7-31 Kai Forbath K

would that work?????

I didnt add the Bengals or Bills because I think they are in a position to wait.

Here is the scenerio that I think "may" happen.

I think, other than Newton and Gabbert going in the top of the first, we may see:
The Seahawks grab a QB at #22 (Locker?),
the Titans/Vikings/Cardinals all attempt to trade up for Ponder...with the Titans ending up with him.
The Bills get Dalton...
The Bengals get Mallett (or take Vince Young).

I dont think Denver drafts a QB at all....but rather looks for a Veteran like Kevin Kolb
Arizona trades up for Ponder or looks for Kevin Kolb, they are open about interest towards him.
Vikings either trade up for Ponder, take Mallett if available, or end up with Kolb.
San Fransisco either takes Colin Kaepernick or end up with Carson Palmer. (Palmer has said that he want to be back on the west coast)

steelerfan
04-20-2011, 08:51 AM
I didnt add the Bengals or Bills because I think they are in a position to wait.

Here is the scenerio that I think "may" happen.

I think, other than Newton and Gabbert going in the top of the first, we may see:
The Seahawks grab a QB at #22 (Locker?),
the Titans/Vikings/Cardinals all attempt to trade up for Ponder...with the Titans ending up with him.
The Bills get Dalton...
The Bengals get Mallett (or take Vince Young).

I dont think Denver drafts a QB at all....but rather looks for a Veteran like Kevin Kolb
Arizona trades up for Ponder or looks for Kevin Kolb, they are open about interest towards him.
Vikings either trade up for Ponder, take Mallett if available, or end up with Kolb.
San Fransisco either takes Colin Kaepernick or end up with Carson Palmer. (Palmer has said that he want to be back on the west coast)

Extremely well thought out scenario sir. And definitely possible as well. I have heard lately that as many as 7 QB's could go round 1....well I doubt that. But the more that come off by the time picks 28-31 get there, the more likely a very QB desperate team will look to deal up to get that one remaining QB. Whether it's Dalton, or Kaepernick or whoever could benefit us. But I also fully expect the Pats to be players here. One of their two 1st rounders will be dealt, probably to a team looking for one of the QB's. I just hope the steelers can get in on the action LLT :-)

LLT
04-20-2011, 09:23 AM
Extremely well thought out scenario sir. And definitely possible as well. I have heard lately that as many as 7 QB's could go round 1....well I doubt that. But the more that come off by the time picks 28-31 get there, the more likely a very QB desperate team will look to deal up to get that one remaining QB. Whether it's Dalton, or Kaepernick or whoever could benefit us. But I also fully expect the Pats to be players here. One of their two 1st rounders will be dealt, probably to a team looking for one of the QB's. I just hope the steelers can get in on the action LLT :-)

If New England trades away #28...and, lets say, a team like the Titans grab Ponder at that slot....we then could play upon the Bills fear that they get leapfrogged and lose Dalton. I dont think they have shown interest in Mallett and the drop off between Dalton and Kaepernick is pretty significant and not worth an early 2nd round pick.

I HOPE that even in that scenerio...The Vikings or Cardinals leapfrog the Bills and grab Dalton at our #31 spot. That is better value for us near that 38-43 area.

steelerfan
04-20-2011, 09:53 AM
If New England trades away #28...and, lets say, a team like the Titans grab Ponder at that slot....we then could play upon the Bills fear that they get leapfrogged and lose Dalton. I dont think they have shown interest in Mallett and the drop off between Dalton and Kaepernick is pretty significant and not worth an early 2nd round pick.

I HOPE that even in that scenerio...The Vikings or Cardinals leapfrog the Bills and grab Dalton at our #31 spot. That is better value for us near that 38-43 area.

LLT, as it goes to the Nevada kid, Kaepernick, maybe it's just me but, I think he will be the surprise of this draft. I think he will go 1st round, over Dalton for sure in round 2 if he is not a 1st rounder. The kid has really impressed. And his Arm strength is the best in this class. Add in his great speed and athleticism, I just feel he is a riser.

BTW LLT, can you, or anyone else please confirm the rumor that San Diego State WR, Vincent Brown is visiting the Steelers today ? Brown is a very interesting prospect to me cause I have watched him for a couple of years now here on the west coast. I know he had some terrible times at Indy. And I know that is scarey for alot of teams considering his size and weight. But just like Pettis, Brown is a kid who just GETS IT DONE! His hands are second to no one in this draft. The dude just catches everything LLT. And like Antonio Brown, Vincent just plays alot faster on the field. I have seen him destroy several " PRIME " DB's in college. He has Hines Ward height. But not Hines Ward weight or strength. But the kid plays tougher on the field. And is just great as it goes to technique. So is it true ? Is he visiting with the team today ? And what is your take on him as a later round WR ?

LLT
04-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Adam Caplan of Foxsports.com has reported that Vincent Brown is indeed coming in for a visit.

steelerfan
04-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Adam Caplan of Foxsports.com has reported that Vincent Brown is indeed coming in for a visit.

Thanks LLT. Depending on if we address the WR spot in the 3rd or 4th rounds, Brown would be a good selection if he were there in the 5th round, maybe even as a late 4th rounder.

Chidi29
04-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Let's look at some detailed scenarios. I will be using this trade value chart to base my ideas off of.
http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php
Our first round pick is valued at 600 points.

1. We assume Cam Newton goes first to Carolina and Blaine Gabbert goes to Cincy. Jake Locker goes to either Washington or Seattle. All other QBs are available at 31

Buffalo is a possible candidate. They of course pick ahead of teams like Arizona, San Fran, and Minnesota but may want to trade up to make sure they stay ahead. Their second rounder is worth 560 points. They could trade that second and their fifth, pick 133 worth 39.5, to move up to 31.

We may be able to get their second 4th rounder, 122 worth 50 points. Especially since they'd still have a fourth rounder. So one of two outcomes.

We trade:

We Get:
#34 and #133
or
#34 and #122

----------------

What if Arizona wants to trade up? Their second rounder is worth 520.

Could trade that and their fourth rounder, 103. Adds up to 608.

We trade:

We get:
#38 and #103

San Francisco wants to get in on the action?

Their second rounder is at 450. The closest they have that would match it is their third rounder, 76 overall worth 210 points. That would mean we "win" the trade by 60 points. San Fran obviously needs a QB and are likely to be willing to do that deal. Maybe we throw in our sixth? But another route that could be taken is:

Their second rounder. Both their 4th rounders, 108 and 115 plus their first sixth rounder, 174. Worth 78, 64, and 21.8 points respectively. Adds up to a total of 613.8 compared to out 600.

We Trade:
#31, #162
We Get:
#45, #76

or

We Trade:
We Get:
#45, #108, #115, #174

Other Cases

What if Cincy doesn't draft Gabbert or Newton? Rumor has it they'd pass on Gabbert.

They have the 35th pick, valued at 550 points. From a pure point persective, they could trade 35 and their fifth rounder 134.

We Trade:
We Get:
#35, #134

However, it's not a big upgrade and it's unlikely we'd help an AFC North team get a QB. They'd have to offer something really good to get us to bite.

What if Seattle does something crazy? They put all their eggs in their first two picks. Draft a non-QB at 25 and try to trade up into the first round to get a QB. At least sounds like a high risk/high reward thing Pete Carroll would do. Doesn't look like they have a lot to play around with though. Their second rounder only gets them just over halfway to 600.

Which brings up an important point.

Teams desparate for a QB will be more willing to trade future picks. It's easy to give up something that you won't use for a year. We could get Seattle's second round pick this year and next year. So...

We Trade:
We Get:
#57, 2nd round next year

Good drafting teams like New England and us have the foresight to make those types of moves.

How about a darkhorse? Denver. Elway hasn't exactly praised Tebow, Orton was actually named the starter a while ago, and we've traded with them in the past. They have two second rounders to play around with.

We Trade:
We Get:
#46, #67

Of course, Denver doesn't pick again after 67 until 186 so they might not be willing to trade up.

---------------------

I'm liking the San Francisco scenario. Either one actually. Mid-second round could still have guys like Ijalana or Hudson on the board. Couple of corners should be there. Any chance Dowling is still there? I know a lot of guys on here like him. Maybe Arizona would e a better route if we were going to target him although the trade overall isn't as good IMO.

Just spitballing ideas.

Chidi29
04-21-2011, 08:24 PM
Couple of problems with trading down.

We may actually be too low. Teams could want to trade up higher than just three to five spots. You know a team like New England with the 28th pick will be looking to deal it. Maybe even with the 17th pick.

Especially if you see a team picking high in the draft trade down for a player such as, Jake Locker, and teams get worried about wanting to get a QB before they're all gone. Let's say Washington, who is rumored to be high on Locker and who would fit in Shanahan's offense, trades down to 17 to New England. Or trades with someone, maybe Tampa, who is looking to get a player like DaQuan Bowers.

I remember when we traded up to get Dan Sepulevda because the Jags took Adam Podlesh. We didn't want to lose our guy. Not a perfect example because we're dealing with punters and the mid-rounds but it shows my point. You know it'll be crazy on day one to begin with. Now you see three QBs go within the top 20 picks, you have targeted your "guy" and you're thinking you may be fighting with four teams for him. No team will want to come out of the first day without the QB they're gunning for, allowing other teams to wheel and deal overnight.

86WARD
04-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Aussie, Buffalo is taking Blaine Gabbert. I don't buy into this Von Miller hype at all. They also could deal down from 3, and target someone in the 18-23 range as well. But most likely, unless he is gone, Gabbert is their dude.

They aren't taking Gabbert. Not at 3. They're in love with Fitzpatrick, pending the length of the lockout, the Gabbert pick would be a waste as he would most likey never see the field in 2011. The Bills have more pressing needs than QB.

Would love to see the Steelers trade out, would love even more if they grabbed Williams.

Texasteel
04-21-2011, 08:46 PM

As you know, my original trade partner was the 49ers, but I no longer think that would land Dowling for us. I haven't worked out a trade yet, but now I am hoping that the Cards will want to leap frog Buffalo.

taztroy43
04-21-2011, 09:18 PM
hey guys...is it just me or do youguys feel that Dowling is rising up draft boards very quickly.....

Chidi29
04-21-2011, 09:19 PM
hey guys...is it just me or do youguys feel that Dowling is rising up draft boards very quickly.....

It appears that he is.

steelerfan
04-21-2011, 09:30 PM
One never knows. But I have not seen anything definite. I know Dalton is. I also heard alot of reports that Wilkerson, a once on the fence 1st rounder is now in the top-20 to 25.

Chidi29
04-21-2011, 09:33 PM
Didn't have anywhere else to put this and didn't want to make a whole new thread about it. Just a little FYI.

Franco Harris will be announcing our second round pick Friday. Pretty cool.

7willBheaven
04-21-2011, 11:04 PM
One thing that really didnt hit me until recently even though i KNEW it was going to be this way...is that there wont be any PLAYER trades during the draft. So any trades for Kolb/Palmer or whoever else out there is rumored to have interest or wants to be traded/etc...wont happen until who knows when and it wont involve picks from this years draft. This could definitely change some teams plans when it comes to the draft. For example someone who was going to try to trade for Kolb may now need/want to select a QB in the draft and not chance not getting Kolb and so on. Plus it will be a little more boring than usual without these type of deals also.

Aussie_steeler
04-22-2011, 04:54 AM

Just realised my stuff up. SORRY.

Saw a 4 ( win record) and confused it with the 2. My bad.

I think that Buffalo could probably sit and get Dalton at that point. The Pats will trade out unless an absolute gem is sitting at 2-1.

I proposed that trade thinking that having 3 potential trade spots in front of them would much the Bills edgy.

Funny how two spots can really alter your thinking.

Aussie_steeler
04-22-2011, 05:00 AM

Rumors abound that one AFC South team has Kaepernick with a first round grade. ( jags????)

I think we will see 7 QB's taken in the first 45 picks

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2011/4/10/2102353/jaguars-one-of-three-afc-south-teams-showing-interest-in-colin

Texasteel
04-22-2011, 05:45 AM
Just realised my stuff up. SORRY.

Saw a 4 ( win record) and confused it with the 2. My bad.

I think that Buffalo could probably sit and get Dalton at that point. The Pats will trade out unless an absolute gem is sitting at 2-1.

I proposed that trade thinking that having 3 potential trade spots in front of them would much the Bills edgy.

Funny how two spots can really alter your thinking.

I'm not sure you thinking was so off, depending on a couple of things.

Do they take a QB in the first.

What QBs are left at the end of the first

Did they fall in love with one of them.

If they don't take a QB in the first, and I don't think they will, and look over at the Steelers table and see a lot of action then look at the Cards and see a lot of action, they could start getting a little nervous. I would truly love to see a bidding war take place, and have see it happen before. 2 spots are just as bad as 4 if the guy you like is about to be taken.

I also agree that 7 QBs will not be taken in the 1st, but by pick 45 does sound more likely, but if 7 are taken in the 1st, might that push a player to us. Maybe Carimi?

None of us really know what these guys are thinking and that is what makes it so much fun. One thing I think I can promise is that at some point in the 1rt round one or two teams are going to completely surprise everyone.

Aussie_steeler
04-22-2011, 06:12 AM
Every one is talking trade down. I am going to propose a trade up scenario.

Likely trade partner:
Seattle Seahawks 1 - 25

Why Seattle would look to trade down:
1. Seattle is after a QB and would also like to score more picks (primarily a 3rd rounder to replace the one traded)
2. The QB that they would target = Jake Locker, could be had a little later in the first. I think their is a Pete Carroll / Washington / Sarkisian connection somewhere.

Why would the steelers look to trade up to 1 - 25

1. Baltimore, New England, Chicago and New York Jets primarily have the same draft needs as the steelers and thus first option on a coveted set of players ( OT and DE)
2. Get in front of Baltimore to possibly change their draft philosophy. Our DE, DT or OT pick would set the tone.

What will this draft trade cost???

1. Seattle 1 -25 = 720 points

2. Steelers 1 -31 = 600 points plus 3 -31 = 120 points

Who would the steelers covet enough to trade up to get????

Option 1 - Tyron Smith ( will be gone)
Option 2 - Cameron Jordan ( will be gone)
Option 3 - JJ Watt ( slight chance )
Option 4 - Mike Pouncey ( slight chance)
Option 5 - Gabe Carimi ( some chance)
Option 6 - Phil Taylor ( could wait to get him)

My Choice at 1 -25 is

Gabe Carimi
Offensive Tackle
Wisconsin
6'7 314" 4 year starter at left tackle replacing Joe Thomas
fits the young profile Colbert likes ( born 6 / 3 1988 - 21 years old)
Run dominant tackle who translates to a RT in the pros

My mock then

1. OT Gabe Carimi
3. CB Curtis Brown
4. WR Austin Pettis
5. CB Cortez Allen
6. LB Mario Harvey
7. NT Frank Kearse

I know a trade up puts major pressure on the 3rd and 4th round picks.

But would you pull this trade to get a stud OT???????

vtw8lftr
04-22-2011, 07:13 AM
Personally I have the Patriots shocking everyone and selecting a QB as Brady's heir... they have 3 picks in the first 33... I am betting on my draft boards that they grab a QB at #28 and then trade the 2nd round pick to a very desperate QB team for a bundle of picks...

Chidi29
04-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Every one is talking trade down. I am going to propose a trade up scenario.

Likely trade partner:
Seattle Seahawks 1 - 25

Why Seattle would look to trade down:
1. Seattle is after a QB and would also like to score more picks (primarily a 3rd rounder to replace the one traded)
2. The QB that they would target = Jake Locker, could be had a little later in the first. I think their is a Pete Carroll / Washington / Sarkisian connection somewhere.

Why would the steelers look to trade up to 1 - 25

1. Baltimore, New England, Chicago and New York Jets primarily have the same draft needs as the steelers and thus first option on a coveted set of players ( OT and DE)
2. Get in front of Baltimore to possibly change their draft philosophy. Our DE, DT or OT pick would set the tone.

What will this draft trade cost???

1. Seattle 1 -25 = 720 points

2. Steelers 1 -31 = 600 points plus 3 -31 = 120 points

Who would the steelers covet enough to trade up to get????

Option 1 - Tyron Smith ( will be gone)
Option 2 - Cameron Jordan ( will be gone)
Option 3 - JJ Watt ( slight chance )
Option 4 - Mike Pouncey ( slight chance)
Option 5 - Gabe Carimi ( some chance)
Option 6 - Phil Taylor ( could wait to get him)

My Choice at 1 -25 is

Gabe Carimi
Offensive Tackle
Wisconsin
6'7 314" 4 year starter at left tackle replacing Joe Thomas
fits the young profile Colbert likes ( born 6 / 3 1988 - 21 years old)
Run dominant tackle who translates to a RT in the pros

My mock then

1. OT Gabe Carimi
3. CB Curtis Brown
4. WR Austin Pettis
5. CB Cortez Allen
6. LB Mario Harvey
7. NT Frank Kearse

I know a trade up puts major pressure on the 3rd and 4th round picks.

But would you pull this trade to get a stud OT???????

Here's the big problem with that scenario.

I don't see Seattle wanting to trade down. If they trade down to 31, they're going to be just ahead of the cluster of teams looking to trade up and get a QB. Cincy, Arizona, San Francisco, Tennessee, Carolina, Denver?, Cleveland? all are potential teams to make a move.

That's a big risk if one of those teams are able to leapfrog them and grab Locker, ruining Seattle's plans.

Chidi29
04-22-2011, 12:24 PM
Personally I have the Patriots shocking everyone and selecting a QB as Brady's heir... they have 3 picks in the first 33... I am betting on my draft boards that they grab a QB at #28 and then trade the 2nd round pick to a very desperate QB team for a bundle of picks...

Nice idea and I like the "out of the box" thinking but they seem very happy with Hoyer. Only had him and Brady on the 53 last season. Shows a lot of trust in him.

steelerfan
04-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Here's the big problem with that scenario.

I don't see Seattle wanting to trade down. If they trade down to 31, they're going to be just ahead of the cluster of teams looking to trade up and get a QB. Cincy, Arizona, San Francisco, Tennessee, Carolina, Denver?, Cleveland? all are potential teams to make a move.

That's a big risk if one of those teams are able to leapfrog them and grab Locker, ruining Seattle's plans.

Actually the Seahawks are the one team who has publically stated they are looking to deal down. Don't buy into that Locker Hype. That's all a bunch of weenies putting him into a Seattle uniform because of where he went to college.

http://www.krem.com/sports/football/Seahawks-looking-to-trade-down-in-NFL-Draft-120183524.html

Chidi29
04-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Actually the Seahawks are the one team who has publically stated they are looking to deal down. Don't buy into that Locker Hype. That's all a bunch of weenies putting him into a Seattle uniform because of where he went to college.

http://www.krem.com/sports/football/Seahawks-looking-to-trade-down-in-NFL-Draft-120183524.html

And because he says it right before the draft, it automatically must be true.

There is so much information being thrown around you don't know what is fact and what is someone simply trying to stir the pot.

steelerfan
04-22-2011, 01:19 PM
I normally might agree Chidi. Especially if such rumors/statements come from second hand sources or reporters. But this came right from the GM. And it is true that they need a 3rd rounder right ? So I will agree, until we see who goes say in the first 20-23 picks, then we will have an idea just who early in round 2 might be getting desperate for a trade up.

Chidi29
04-22-2011, 01:23 PM
I normally might agree Chidi. Especially if such rumors/statements come from second hand sources or reporters. But this came right from the GM. And it is true that they need a 3rd rounder right ? So I will agree, until we see who goes say in the first 20-23 picks, then we will have an idea just who early in round 2 might be getting desperate for a trade up.

And what better way to spread around bad information than to have it come from a "reliable" source. All I'm saying is you can't believe everything you hear, no matter who it is from.

7willBheaven
04-22-2011, 03:02 PM
And what better way to spread around bad information than to have it come from a "reliable" source. All I'm saying is you can't believe everything you hear, no matter who it is from.

Right on!

Aussie_steeler
04-22-2011, 03:43 PM
I dont think the steelers are at all interested in Aaron Williams.

I believe he is a smokescreen to deflect attention away from "their player".

To me its starting to look like the Santonio Holmes draft where you go get your guy, cause if you sit an wait you are going to get a player who is one tier lower on your draft board.