PDA

View Full Version : Get ready to laugh, here is MY Steeler 7 round Mock Draft!

steelerfan
04-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Okay, I got on Texasteel and Chidi, as well as some of the pcks LLT made in their Mock drafts. Well now it is their turn to " SPANK " ME :buttkick: Now I must say, these are the Steeler picks ONLY. And I will list them as pick 1, pick 2, ect. Cause I think there could be some trading down by the steelers...maybe not, but could. So, here we go, get ready to laugh.

2-45) RODNEY HUDSON- OG/C Florida State : Okay, I know I kinda got on Chidi's pick of Nova's Ijalana. But trust me, Hudson is the most technically SOUND O-Linemen in this entire draft, and it's not even close. Yes I know, I know, alot of you here are gonna say he's too small at 299 Lbs to be a NFL Guard. Well who says ? I mean the guy tested out better and STRONGER then EITHER Pouncey Brother, and are they considered too small ? Look, I know we didn't bring in Ziggy Hood before the draft, and we still selected him. So maybe Invites aren't everything. But, we did Interview Ziggy two times. Once at Indy, and at the Senior Bowl. So a invite wasn't necessary. Well we DID Invite Hudson to Pittsburgh. And even though I DO think he can be had about 10-15 picks lower, you just never know. If the Steelers are targeting Hudson, and depending how the draft flows, they MIGHT look to try and deal down some into round 2, and grab Hudson there. But that not withstanding, he is my pick for the team in their first selection.

2-63) KENRICK ELLIS DT Hampton: Okay, I know I win the national HYPOCRITE Award by predicting Ellis here cause I dogged out Chidi for taking Cedric Thornton in round 4 of his Mock. But I truly feel if still around, this is the best value and need player. And since Ellis did not play in either the Senior Bowl, or East/West Shrine game, and yet he still was invited to Pittsburgh, I gotta feel there is alot of Interest in him. Character IS an Issue here. But Talent is not. And I'm gonna stick with Ellis here.

3-95) JOHNNY PATRICK CB Louisville: My SURPRISE pick here. Patrick is a fast-rising prospect in this draft who has alot of experience. And a TON of passes defensed, and 9 career interceptions. I also heard that the Steelers are showing interest in him. So Johnny is our man here.

4-108 From San Francisco) JOSEPH BARKSDALE: This is my first change. I know Chidi had him in the 3rd round. But I like him more in the 4th round. But bottom line is both me and Chidi LIKE him!

4-128) CHRIS CULLIVER FS South Carolina: This is a good prospect here fans. I know he only played 8 games because of a Pec injury. But this guy can sit a year, learn the system, and take over for Ryan Clark after a year. But in the meantime, he can replace Wallace as our kickoff return guy. Culliver is one of the BEST KR players in this draft. Has very good speed and measurables to.

5-141-from Niners ) CORTEZ ALLEN: CB Citadel: I've heard alot about this smaller school wonder. Steelers have interviewed him, and brought him to Pittsburgh. He will be the drafted " Wing " to Johnny Patrick's " Wang "!

5-162 ) DENARIUS MOORE WR Tennessee: Change from my earlier WR Pettis. Moore actually has visited the steelers. He's a solid 6ft, 200 Lbs with speed and nice hands.

6-174-from Niners: ALEX HENERY K/P Nebraska: I decided you guys were right. If he is here..GREAT! If not...Ahh, who cares ? I mean if we really have to rely on a kicker hitting 50-55 FG's for us to score,,,,that will mean we have some issues moving the ball :-) So if he's here, we take him. And I doubt many steeler fans will care that I spent a 6th from the Niner trade for him.

6-191) MARIO HARVEY ILB Marshall: Another guy we brought in. A high energy ILB. And with Fox a free agent, and Farrior,,,well, just about Dead! :-)...we can use a flier on this athletic, and very productive kid.

7-223) FRANK KEARSE DL Alabama AM: At his teams pro day, the Steelers were the only team that had a defensive coach attend, and workout Kearse privately. Word was he did very well dispite the very wet conditions. Yes this kid is a developmental prospect. And he might be had as a undrafted free agent. But since the lack of a new CBA makes that a mystery, the steelers will use their 7th rounder on him, and secure his draft rights.

" NOTE " Okay guys, this is the NEW Version after my trade down with the niners.

Chidi29
04-17-2011, 05:59 PM
I'd love to tear your draft apart but I actually like it a lot. We both are big fans of Hudson, Ellis, Patrick, and Kearse. I understand the reasoning behind the Locke pick, too.

The only one I'd have to chew you out about is taking a kicker in the fourth. No thanks. Kickers are barely drafted these days, let alone one in the fourth round. People forget that Suisham did a pretty good job for us last year.

steelerfan
04-17-2011, 06:19 PM
I'd love to tear your draft apart but I actually like it a lot. We both are big fans of Hudson, Ellis, Patrick, and Kearse. I understand the reasoning behind the Locke pick, too.

The only one I'd have to chew you out about is taking a kicker in the fourth. No thanks. Kickers are barely drafted these days, let alone one in the fourth round. People forget that Suisham did a pretty good job for us last year.

Thank you sir for NOT tearing me a new A-HOLE!! Some of these picks are not really what I may like in every round. But as it goes for the K in round 4 Chidi, I AM going to say it again, Henery is a MUST have. And take a look around, your one sight that you, and LLT Quote alot,,,NFLDraftscout has Henery as a 4th rounder. The dude is AWSOME! And you might say that Suisham was okay for us. But to me, he just makes me nervous as heck when beyond even 43-45 yards. Let alone the 50-55 yard range which Henery can hit at a 90 % clip in his sleep,,,and he HAS!! And he was their regular punter as well. Leading the nation in punts inside the 10 Yd line. And a 44 Yard average.

Thanks for your thoughts Chidi, but I really want this kid. I won't kill myself if we don't. But I want him. And a late 4th is very in-line as where he is projected to go.

st33lersguy
04-17-2011, 06:22 PM
I have some criticisms about this draft

1. Rodney Hudson is a reach

2. Drafting kickers in the 4th round is not smart. Besides Suisam did have a pretty good year

3. No OT? Pittsburgh needs to add depth at OT and find a better backup plan than Jonathan Scott and Trai Essex (who played some OT when the rash of injuries at OL were at it's height). Plus Willie Colon is a free agent and Flozell Adams is almost at the end of his career.

steelerfan
04-17-2011, 06:43 PM
I have some criticisms about this draft

2. Drafting kickers in the 4th round is not smart. Besides Suisam did have a pretty good year

3. No OT? Pittsburgh needs to add depth at OT and find a better backup plan than Jonathan Scott and Trai Essex (who played some OT when the rash of injuries at OL were at it's height). Plus Willie Colon is a free agent and Flozell Adams is almost at the end of his career.

Okay lets see,,,, Rodney Hudson is a reach ?...Let me ask you this, if we got Mike Pouncey at 31, would he be a reach ? Cause if you think Mike Pouncey is a better Guard, or technically sound O-Linemen, then you HAVEN'T watched any college football my man.

As OT depth, yeah I was considering it. But remember, Willie Colon is great friends with Ben. He'll probably be back. And remember, we get Max Starks back this season. And we have the recently drafted OT from last season, Chris Scott with a season learning under his belt. There are no FOR SURE Tackles even left at 31 who you can CAN play Tackle. Players like Cannon, Carpenter, all of them might be left to only play Guard. I would rather grab a free agent Vet if we need then to risk taking a Tackle after 31. The BEST O-Linemen PERIOD in this draft is Hudson. Yes he a Guard. But he is as good, and as smart, and stronger then Maurkice Pouncey is....how did we do with him ?

And as for it being too high to select a K in round 4 ? Tell me, where was the Raider kicker, and their punter selected ? And they're the best two weapons on that entire team. BOTH were Franchised tagged. Maybe we can wait til the 5th round for Henery. But make no mistake, there hasn't been a guy like him ever. Better and longer leg then Janikowski. And Punts 10 times better then Ray Guy ever could. But thanks for your thoughts.

Chidi29
04-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Thank you sir for NOT tearing me a new A-HOLE!! Some of these picks are not really what I may like in every round. But as it goes for the K in round 4 Chidi, I AM going to say it again, Henery is a MUST have. And take a look around, your one sight that you, and LLT Quote alot,,,NFLDraftscout has Henery as a 4th rounder. The dude is AWSOME! And you might say that Suisham was okay for us. But to me, he just makes me nervous as heck when beyond even 43-45 yards. Let alone the 50-55 yard range which Henery can hit at a 90 % clip in his sleep,,,and he HAS!! And he was their regular punter as well. Leading the nation in punts inside the 10 Yd line. And a 44 Yard average.

Thanks for your thoughts Chidi, but I really want this kid. I won't kill myself if we don't. But I want him. And a late 4th is very in-line as where he is projected to go.

From what I saw, the earliest a kicker has been drafted in the past three years is the back end of the fifth round.

There is no way value should dictate us taking Henery a full round earlier. If you're sitting there in the fifth and you get the sense he's about to be taken, and you really really want to get the kid, then trade up for him the way we did Sepulevda.

But Henery in the 4th is a total reach.

While nfldraftscout calls him a fourth rounder, they rank him 140th overall. Which is 5th round territory.

Chidi29
04-17-2011, 06:57 PM
Okay lets see,,,, Rodney Hudson is a reach ?...Let me ask you this, if we got Mike Pouncey at 31, would he be a reach ? Cause if you think Mike Pouncey is a better Guard, or technically sound O-Linemen, then you HAVEN'T watched any college football my man.

As OT depth, yeah I was considering it. But remember, Willie Colon is great friends with Ben. He'll probably be back. And remember, we get Max Starks back this season. And we have the recently drafted OT from last season, Chris Scott with a season learning under his belt. There are no FOR SURE Tackles even left at 31 who you can CAN play Tackle. Players like Cannon, Carpenter, all of them might be left to only play Guard. I would rather grab a free agent Vet if we need then to risk taking a Tackle after 31. The BEST O-Linemen PERIOD in this draft is Hudson. Yes he a Guard. But he is as good, and as smart, and stronger then Maurkice Pouncey is....how did we do with him ?

And as for it being too high to select a K in round 4 ? Tell me, where was the Raider kicker, and their punter selected ? And they're the best two weapons on that entire team. BOTH were Franchised tagged. Maybe we can wait til the 5th round for Henery. But make no mistake, there hasn't been a guy like him ever. Better and longer leg then Janikowski. And Punts 10 times better then Ray Guy ever could. But thanks for your thoughts.

Sadly, Colon's friendship with Ben isn't much of a bargaining chip.

Scott is likely to play guard. Not tackle.

It isn't required but getting a OT would be nice. Or we might feel a bit pressed to do so next year. Heck, right now we could lose out on Colon and Flozell. Remember that we're not going to pay his $5 million salary.

If your argument is "Look at the great job Oakland has done!", I have to think you're grasping at straws.

The Duke
04-17-2011, 07:20 PM
hmm very nice mock actually

You address pretty much all our needs. Hudson may be not be ranked at 31, but just might be the BPA for us. Love Ellis!

Haven't heard anything about Patrick so will trust your judgement there. Now I would switch Pettis and Henery. A 4th round kicker doesn't ring with me, and Pettis is climbing. Fast! Get him in the 4th and either Locke or Henery in the 5th

There is no doubt henery is the best kicker in this draft, and probably the best to come out in the last few years since Crosby, so I think we do need to get him, just not in the 4th where we still have some major needs to address. Kearse does sound nice as a developmental project

No OT, but it's impossible to address every single position

steelerfan
04-17-2011, 07:35 PM
hmm very nice mock actually

You address pretty much all our needs. Hudson may be not be ranked at 31, but just might be the BPA for us. Love Ellis!

Haven't heard anything about Patrick so will trust your judgement there. Now I would switch Pettis and Henery. A 4th round kicker doesn't ring with me, and Pettis is climbing. Fast! Get him in the 4th and either Locke or Henery in the 5th

There is no doubt henery is the best kicker in this draft, and probably the best to come out in the last few years since Crosby, so I think we do need to get him, just not in the 4th where we still have some major needs to address. Kearse does sound nice as a developmental project

No OT, but it's impossible to address every single position

If the steelers wanna address a Tackle, then they better trade up. Cause the only possible one left at 31 is one I feel is completely wrong for us, and that's " Nate Solder " Unlike Chidi, I think Derek Sherrod WILL be drafted before 31,,,likely to Baltimore. And even with the knocks on Sherrod, he still is the best Blind side Tackle in this draft. Sure there are guys I didn't select that the steelers very well may address in rounds 3 or 4, like King from South Carolina, and Barksdale from LSU...And I might very well be wrong in not selecting them. But I just have this funny feeling that the team likes Hudson....but then again,,,,I probably just have " GAS " :-)

86WARD
04-17-2011, 07:58 PM
There's a lot I don't like about your draft.

1-31) RODNEY HUDSON- Would be a reach. Wouldn't be the best player on the board when the Steelers pick.

2-63) KENRICK ELLIS - Not necessary to take a DT this early. Wouldn't be terribly upset.

3-95) JOHNNY PATRICK - Rather see them go CB either in the first or second. But wouldn't be upset if Patrick landed in a Steelers uniform.

4-127) ALEX HENERY - WAY too early to select a kicker...WAY, WAY to early.

5-159) DERRICK LOCKE - Would rather see Noel Devine if they are going to take a 5th round flier on a RB.

6-191) AUSTIN PETTIS - Like Pettis, but he won't be around in the 6th. Would be great value if he was...

7-223) FRANK KEARSE - Don't care about the 7th round pick. They rarely make the squad...lol.

Chidi29
04-17-2011, 08:10 PM
7-223) FRANK KEARSE - Don't care about the 7th round pick. They rarely make the squad...lol.

I think the last DL we took in the seventh was Brett Keisel.

7willBheaven
04-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Hmmm...

I'm not sure about Hudson...I'm not completely sold on him yet...now I am not doubting his skills/etc...but I'm just not sure. Even the site you promoted in another thread said this about him...

"Average balance. Will not drive huge defenders out of the hole. Sometimes locks on too high when run blocking and, lets defenders thus slip his blocks. Can be manhandled by elite NFL DTs in pass pro, and driven back by a strong bull rush."

The last part I dont like...especially with the big NT/DTs the Steelers face.

Dont have a problem with Ellis.

I'd rather get one of the better CBs instead of another 3rd round CB in Patrick.

I want Henery too...but 4th could be too high, but I wouldnt complain.

And I do not care for the next 3.

Id personally like a S in there somewhere or maybe another OL. And then you can throw in an RB/WR/TE with the pick thats left. Again like I said about Chidi's draft...I'm not against a WR or RB...i just think there are more pressing needs and there are always decent RBs and WRs in EVERY draft.

Not tooooo bad for a first attempt (on here at least)...but not my fave.

The Duke
04-17-2011, 08:33 PM

and he's already growing the beard :chuckle:

http://aamusports.com/images/2010/9/14/headshot_1_90%20-%20Frank%20Kearse%20IMG_0020.JPG

It's destiny!!

Chidi29
04-17-2011, 08:51 PM
and he's already growing the beard :chuckle:

http://aamusports.com/images/2010/9/14/headshot_1_90%20-%20Frank%20Kearse%20IMG_0020.JPG

It's destiny!!

Ha that settles it.

But seriously, Kearse is a monster. A hard-worker who had to learn how to play DL after playing on the OL out of high school. Wasn't supposed to play along the defensive line either but they needed a big body. He put in the work on the field and in the film room.

Like I said with Sumner, give me the hard worker in the 7th round. Guys that have faced long odds and overcome them....just as they will trying to make the team as the last pick.

steelerfan
04-17-2011, 08:54 PM
Note to everyone. After reading your thoughts, and how I failed on drafting a Tackle. I decided to change it up. In my NEW version, I have us trading down to 45 with the SF Niners...so they can address QUALITY, and get the QB they want at 31, and NOT Quanity with 12 total picks. We deal down, and get the niners pick at 45, plus their 4th rounder at 108, their 5th at 141, and their first 6th rounder. It's a TOTALLY fair trade for both teams according to the " Trade Value Chart " that alot of the league GM's use. I've used the additional picks in my edited Mock above...Enjoy fans! And tell me what you NOW think of it!

7willBheaven
04-17-2011, 09:03 PM
Sub in CB Dowling for pick 2A or 2B and then get whichever position you eliminated in round 2 (OG or NT) and get that position in the 3rd and dont get Patrick. That would be i think the best overall idea right there.

At least in my eyes.

86WARD
04-17-2011, 09:05 PM

Then there's LaVarr Glover, JT Wall, Eric Taylor (the last DT they took,) Noah Herron, Shaun Nua (DE,) Cedric Humes, Dallas Baker, AQ Shipley, Doug Worthington (the last DE they took.)

Also: Ryan Mundy and David Johnson.

steelerfan
04-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Hmmm...

I'm not sure about Hudson...I'm not completely sold on him yet...now I am not doubting his skills/etc...but I'm just not sure. Even the site you promoted in another thread said this about him...

"Average balance. Will not drive huge defenders out of the hole. Sometimes locks on too high when run blocking and, lets defenders thus slip his blocks. Can be manhandled by elite NFL DTs in pass pro, and driven back by a strong bull rush."

The last part I dont like...especially with the big NT/DTs the Steelers face.

Dont have a problem with Ellis.

I'd rather get one of the better CBs instead of another 3rd round CB in Patrick.

I want Henery too...but 4th could be too high, but I wouldnt complain.

And I do not care for the next 3.

Id personally like a S in there somewhere or maybe another OL. And then you can throw in an RB/WR/TE with the pick thats left. Again like I said about Chidi's draft...I'm not against a WR or RB...i just think there are more pressing needs and there are always decent RBs and WRs in EVERY draft.

Not tooooo bad for a first attempt (on here at least)...but not my fave.

I don't know what FSU games you watched. But Hudson has more credited " Pancake " blocks then anyone in thois draft, or the past 15 years. Take a look at this link, and see if Hudson is not rising.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2011/3/28/2076256/2011-nfl-draft-og-rodney-hudson-receiving-first-round-consideration

Chidi29
04-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Then there's LaVarr Glover, JT Wall, Eric Taylor (the last DT they took,) Noah Herron, Shaun Nua (DE,) Cedric Humes, Dallas Baker, AQ Shipley, Doug Worthington (the last DE they took.)

Also: Ryan Mundy and David Johnson.

Oh yeah, forgot about Doug.

Sure, a lot of 7th rounders aren't going to pan out. That's why they're 7th rounders. But I never discount a player regardless of where they were drafted.

7willBheaven
04-17-2011, 09:25 PM
I don't know what FSU games you watched. But Hudson has more credited " Pancake " blocks then anyone in thois draft, or the past 15 years. Take a look at this link, and see if Hudson is not rising.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2011/3/28/2076256/2011-nfl-draft-og-rodney-hudson-receiving-first-round-consideration

Those were not my words....that was from that cdsdraft.com that you linked in another thread. Thats what THEY said about him.

Though as a side note...just because he can pancake someone in college doesnt mean he will in the NFL. I'd like to see him pancake Ngata or someone like that. Not gonna happen.

7willBheaven
04-17-2011, 09:26 PM
Oh yeah, forgot about Doug.

Sure, a lot of 7th rounders aren't going to pan out. That's why they're 7th rounders. But I never discount a player regardless of where they were drafted.

I wish we still had Doug...i thought he could be a decent DE...but he's with TB last I heard.

steelerfan
04-17-2011, 09:33 PM
Those were not my words....that was from that cdsdraft.com that you linked in another thread. Thats what THEY said about him.

Though as a side note...just because he can pancake someone in college doesnt mean he will in the NFL. I'd like to see him pancake Ngata or someone like that. Not gonna happen.

Okay so then you were obviously against us selecting Maurkice Pouncey last year, right ? Cause Pouncey is not a better O-Linemen, not bigger, and not smarter then Hudson is. And how many times did you see Pouncey get creamed ny Ngata ?....NONE! That's because " Explosiveness " and great strength has nothing whatsoever to do with how much a player weighs. It's all about technique, Balance, and initial off the line quickness. ALL traits that Hudson has over Maurkice Pouncey, and his brother Mike, who I'm sure you would also hate if we took him at 31 cause he's even smaller, and weaker and certainly not as accomplished a O-Linemen as Hudson is....right sir ?

7willBheaven
04-17-2011, 09:58 PM
Pouncey is BIGGER...both of them are. They're both around 6'4-6'5 and 305lbs...thats bigger than 6'2 299lbs. And Maurkice is better than Hudson...Hudson right now is a blank slate...Maurkice in his rookie yr was a starter, All Pro, Pro Bowl, Team ROTY, a finalist for the league ROTY, etc. If Hudson can do all that or better in his FIRST yr...then OK. There MAY be things Hudson does better than Maurkice...but he is not better overall, sorry. Mike P. I know isnt as good as his brother...but still a solid player...as far as him verus Hudson who knows. But I will say I havent come across one site that has Hudson listed higher than Mike P....most places have Hudson as the 3-4th best OG in the draft...or the 1st or 2nd C (but with a 2nd round grade).

I am not saying Hudson doesnt have some skills or that he's not a good player...I'm again just going by what I've read and what I know.

steelerfan
04-17-2011, 10:09 PM
Pouncey is BIGGER...both of them are. They're both around 6'4-6'5 and 305lbs...thats bigger than 6'2 299lbs. And Maurkice is better than Hudson...Hudson right now is a blank slate...Maurkice in his rookie yr was a starter, All Pro, Pro Bowl, Team ROTY, a finalist for the league ROTY, etc. If Hudson can do all that or better in his FIRST yr...then OK. There MAY be things Hudson does better than Maurkice...but he is not better overall, sorry. Mike P. I know isnt as good as his brother...but still a solid player...as far as him verus Hudson who knows. But I will say I havent come across one site that has Hudson listed higher than Mike P....most places have Hudson as the 3-4th best OG in the draft...or the 1st or 2nd C (but with a 2nd round grade).

I am not saying Hudson doesnt have some skills or that he's not a good player...I'm again just going by what I've read and what I know.

What you are missing is that taller people who barely carry more weight are not bigger or stronger, just taller. Hugson BTW is 6ft 2 3/8ths, or 6ft 3 in shoes. He is 2 inches shorter then Pouncey is. But only 5 Lbs less in weight. My point was not that Hudson is as accomplished as Maurkice is, cause that's Nuts! Like you said, look what Maurkice has done in the league in his rookie season. But my point was that Hudson and Maurkice both played in college football for 3 years at the same time. And each of Pouncey's final two years, Hudson graded out a better Linemen...sorry but that's just a fact! Now Pouncey was right there behind him, and very very good. But the things what made me so high on Pouncey, when alot of so-called experts were saying his lack of Bulk weight, and strength will hurt him in the pros was his incredible technique, balance, explosiveness off the line, and mostly, how he just gets " IT " As in field intelligence. Which to me is something that you really cannot teach a player. They either have it, or they don't. Mike Pouncey is Maurkice twin brother. But they are NOT Identical twins...at least on the field they are not.

Mike is very good yes. But Hudson has those SAME Qualities as a O-linemen that Maurkice had when he came out.i,,,which Hudson did And just like alot of the experts from last year are saying,,,not all, but alot, they are dogging Hudson because he is 6ft, 2 1/2 and 299Lbs. Rather looking at that, and not the actual game tape where this kid for 4 straight years was a starter either at Guard or Center, and dominanting the likes of BJ Raji. Which Hudson did a few times while at Florida State.

That's my point. But I appreciate your take as well sir.

7willBheaven
04-17-2011, 10:17 PM
And each of Pouncey's final two years, Hudson graded out a better Linemen...sorry but that's just a fact!

I'm curious...how is that a fact? Says who? Theres really no true way something like they can be a fact...as it all comes down to various peoples opinions. So theres not going to be one consensus answer that everyone says.

steelerfan
04-17-2011, 11:22 PM
I'm curious...how is that a fact? Says who? Theres really no true way something like they can be a fact...as it all comes down to various peoples opinions. So theres not going to be one consensus answer that everyone says.

Colin Lindsey of the Great Blue North report had Hudson graded at 88 % for his career at FSU. The last time a OL graded that high was Jon Ogden. So he did grade higher then Pouncey. However one could argue that Pouncey played in a tougher conference against better defensive players then Hudson did. But it's not like Hudson went to a Div-2 school. He played in the ACC. So that's not a bad league either.

7willBheaven
04-18-2011, 12:34 AM
Colin Lindsey of the Great Blue North report had Hudson graded at 88 % for his career at FSU. The last time a OL graded that high was Jon Ogden. So he did grade higher then Pouncey. However one could argue that Pouncey played in a tougher conference against better defensive players then Hudson did. But it's not like Hudson went to a Div-2 school. He played in the ACC. So that's not a bad league either.

But still as I said just because someone grades someone at a certain percent or whatever...doesnt mean its fact...its their OPINION based on different factors they look at/etc. While it may be A fact that this person graded him at 88%...but it doesnt mean that it IS a fact that 88% is true (or really means anything). Thats what I'm saying...and mentioned in a post in another thread about people posting opinions/etc as if they are true facts. I can give a player a 95% based on factors I come up with...but does it mean anything in the big picture...or impact how that player plays or anything? No.

Texasteel
04-18-2011, 09:36 AM
Chidi and I have talked about this very thing several times.

I like Hudson, but his playing weight does bother me, which was 287. I don't need some publication to tell me that he is as technically sound as any lineman I have seen. I have called him a mechanic in the past, and I think that is what he is. He is almost always in the right place and positioned correctly to make the block, a very intelligent player. Still, I also know that a great collage player does not always become a great pro player, and again his size still does bothered me in a day the the pro D-linemen are getting bigger and bigger. I was pretty excited when I heard that he have bulked up some, but then heard from someone here that the extra size had cut into his agility. So now I am still uncertain about the kid. I beleive I am not alone in this concern.

How ever, I am not uncertain and the Steelers and their ability to pick good players. They have brought him in and gave him a good look. By now they are pretty sure what they will have in him, and if they like what they see, that's fine with me. I have to admit that I would feel more at ease if I heard them call Pouncey's name or Igalana's, but will not be disappointed in Hudson.

I do like him better at 45 than 31.

steelerfan
04-18-2011, 10:09 AM
Hi Texasteel:

Look, I understand your concerns over Hudson weight if he was not technically sound. Or if he was below average in strength. But can you say that about him ? Strength and weight are NOT related at all. Hudson is stronger then either Pouncey Brother, and there are no concerns about them. I like the Nova kid Ijalana, but what concerns me with any player from a school that didn't go up against Level 1 players is that we don't know what he can do against him because of his injury. And the one regarded player he did go up against two times in Wilkerson from Temple, both times Wilkerson outright destroyed him..Both times Texasteel. I mean O-Line grades not withstanding, and Hudson had the best. The one thing that can't be argued with is him giving up 1 1/2 sacks in 4 years of starting, and none the past two years, and 1...count em 1 penalty called against him. I meaan that is just crazy Texasteel. And that shows me a great sound technical player. I mean Maurkice is 6ft, 4 1/2, and is 5 Lbs more then Hudson, and he went up against several HUGE DT's, and he held his own most of the time. I see those same traits in Hudson. I mean it's not like he weighed in at his Pro day at 285 Lbs, and benched 225 only 12 times. He is a solid 300 Lbs, and benched more then Pouncey did, and several other top O-Linemen. Not that strength is everything Texasteel, cause it's not. I'm talking about Hudson total package. And a guy who can step in and play Guard for us from day one, and be a back-up Center for us if needed is very very valuable.

I think the steelers see this.

Texasteel
04-18-2011, 11:07 AM
As far as bench press is concerned, 27 is respectable but not massive, and I didn't think Pouncey or Ijalana lifted at the combines. Still I don't completely judge a player by what I see in workouts. I've see to many workout wonders, and I have always thought that lifting weights are as much technique as strength. When I watched both Pouncey and Ijalana I saw a more powerful block, the type I think you need in the pros. With Hudson I saw a more explosive block that got to the defender to quickly for him to fully react. This alone often knocked the defender off balance before he even knew where the play was going. I am concerned that this will not work as well against a larger quicker pro line. I have thought that in the pro you need a combination of strength and mass. Hudson was just a little short of mass.

As I stated Hudson did show up with more mass, and it looked like he lost some agility and quickness because of it, and these are the traits that were the biggest part of his game. Both his shuttle and 3 cone times were way slower than they should have been, slower than Pouncey's, both Pouncey's. That does concern me. That does not mean I don't like Hudson or that I don't want him, and if he is in Black and Gold next year I will be a huge Hudson fan. Like I said before, the Steeler sitting in the war room have had a very good look at him, and if they want him, so do I.

I do think that if Pouncey and Hudson were both on the board when they pick, they would take Pouncey.

Just one more thing, repeating my site name over and over can give the impression that you are calling me out, and I am sure that was not your intent.

LLT
04-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Just my two cents...all things being even, a big technically sound defensive lineman will beat a small technically sound offensive lineman more often than not.

Hudson's best chance in the pros is as a center for a team like the Bears...perhaps because they have had a great deal of success with Olin Kreutz who is virtually the same player as Hudson. Kreutz plays at about 6'2 295 lbs and has been solid enough to make 6 Pro Bowls BUT the Bears know exactly what they have in Kreutz, and they scheme to have a guard help him with the big uglies like Hampton.

Kreutz is a superb technician who will always need that help with that big and experienced NT....because , like I said, a big techinically sound defensive lineman will beat a small technically sound offensive lineman more often than not.

I think Hudson has a chance of going to the Chiefs, Seahawks, Bears, 49ers or Vikings as a 2nd round pick...so that 40-45 spot is just about perfect for his potentail.

LLT
04-18-2011, 12:41 PM
I would also steer clear of Johnny Patrick...its one thing to be charged with assault...its another if you are throwing a female to the ground. That smells like "punk" to me.

http://www.whas11.com/news/crimetracker/UofL-football-player-facing-assault-charge-98049979.html

steelerfan
04-18-2011, 01:16 PM
I would also steer clear of Johnny Patrick...its one thing to be charged with assault...its another if you are throwing a female to the ground. That smells like "punk" to me.

http://www.whas11.com/news/crimetracker/UofL-football-player-facing-assault-charge-98049979.html

Ohoo, great find LLT ( You Da Man )....God. I wonder why then the Steelers are even entertaining this guy ? Now that I see this, I may have to adjust my 3rd round pick in my above draft.

Thanks for the 411.

LLT
04-18-2011, 01:46 PM
No problem...I remembered PFW having some questions about his character but couldnt remember the details. The Steelers may have just wanted to give him an interview and find out what happened and if he actually learned his lesson.

He did enter a plea bargain of quilty in exchange for having the charges reduced to "harrassment with contact".

steelerfan
04-18-2011, 01:51 PM
No problem...I remembered PFW having some questions about his character but couldnt remember the details. The Steelers may have just wanted to give him an interview and find out what happened and if he actually learned his lesson.

He did enter a plea bargain of quilty in exchange for having the charges reduced to "harrassment with contact".

Well I saw that it was settled. And that it was June of last year. If Patrick was completely clean this past season. And he was open and honest about the incident, I can see teams not calling that a continuing Character concern. But it all depends on how the meeting with him and the steelers went.

taztroy43
04-18-2011, 01:59 PM
Pouncey and Hudson are beasts...IMO Pouncey is the better prospect....and in many experts opinions Pouncey is the better prospect because they have him as a 1st round pick and Hudson is a 2nd round pick....I'm going to bring up a guy that we realistically have a shot at in the late 2nd and I would like to see him sporting the black and gold!...His name is Orlando Franklin from the U....this guy would of been rated higher if it wasn't for some recent injuries....the Steelers have showed a lot of interest in this guy and if healthy he can be a steal in the 2nd round....check out some of his highlights to see for yourself...the guy played T and G for the U...He's projected as a G at the next level....let me know what youguys think.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLXxk9cUtqA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdhaXvJT7uo&feature=related

LLT
04-18-2011, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the info Taz...and welcome to the site!!!!!!!!!

LLT
04-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Well I saw that it was settled. And that it was June of last year. If Patrick was completely clean this past season. And he was open and honest about the incident, I can see teams not calling that a continuing Character concern. But it all depends on how the meeting with him and the steelers went.

Settled with a quilty plea isnt really "settled"....its going to remain a red flag for most teams. His only saving grace will be if he showed up at the Steelers interview with a humble, rependant attitude. If he does the whole "thats in the past and I want to move on" mantra.....he is toast!!!!

taztroy43
04-18-2011, 07:55 PM
Thanks LLT....The draft is about a week and a half away and I can't wait to see what they do....

Texasteel
04-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks LLT....The draft is about a week and a half away and I can't wait to see what they do....

You will be able to be with us during the draft won't you?

taztroy43
04-20-2011, 12:21 AM
I hope so...we'll see....I have a feeling we're going CB in the 1st round....