PDA

View Full Version : Finding a future replacement for Hines Ward

stillers4me
04-17-2011, 09:57 AM
Two years in a row the Pittsburgh Steelers have found great talent at the wide receiver position in the third round. That is what makes it hard to believe that wide receiver is still a team need. Can the Pittsburgh Steelers make it 3-for-3 in the third round?

Two years ago the Steelers found Mike Wallace from Mississippi. He is a guy who can really stretch the field and make the big play.

Just before last years draft the Steelers traded Santonio Holmes making Wallace the No. 2 behind Hines Ward. Wallace led the league last season with seven 100-yard receiving games.

In last year's draft Pittsburgh found Emmanuel Sanders from Southern Methodist. Sanders didn’t have the big rookie season that Wallace had, but is proving to be a solid option. He and Antonio Brown, another pick from a year ago, push each other for the final spot to dress on Sundays.

With finding a valid replacement for Holmes, Pittsburgh now has to look for a future replacement for aging Hines Ward. This will most definitely prove to be a tougher task than some would expect. His blocking skills alone make this a difficult challenge...............

Read more @ http://sportshaze.com/pittsburgh/pittsburgh-steelers/finding-a-future-replacement-for-hines-ward-in-the-2011-nfl-draft-2996

st33lersguy
04-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Two years in a row the Pittsburgh Steelers have found great talent at the wide receiver position in the third round. That is why WR is not a need. Can the Pittsburgh Steelers make it 3-for-3 in the third round?

Two years ago the Steelers found Mike Wallace from Mississippi. He is a guy who can really stretch the field and make the big play.

Just before last years draft the Steelers traded Santonio Holmes making Wallace the No. 2 behind Hines Ward. Wallace led the league last season with seven 100-yard receiving games.

In last year's draft Pittsburgh found Emmanuel Sanders from Southern Methodist. Sanders didn’t have the big rookie season that Wallace had, but is proving to be a solid option. He and Antonio Brown, another pick from a year ago, push each other for the final spot to dress on Sundays.

With finding a valid replacement for Holmes, Pittsburgh now has to look for a future replacement for aging Hines Ward. This will most definitely prove to be a tougher task than some would expect. His blocking skills alone make this a difficult challenge...............

Read more @ http://sportshaze.com/pittsburgh/pittsburgh-steelers/finding-a-future-replacement-for-hines-ward-in-the-2011-nfl-draft-2996

Corrected. The Steelers have draftedd 3 WRs the last two years, all three contributed last year. They have a replacement. They should focus on real needs like OL, DL, and CB.

steelerfan
04-17-2011, 10:42 AM
Corrected. The Steelers have draftedd 3 WRs the last two years, all three contributed last year. They have a replacement. They should focus on real needs like OL, DL, and CB.

Yeah but we 've also drafted 4 O-linemen and just as many CB's the past 2 drafts. Yes we have drafted 3 WR's, all of whom have done either great, or okay so far. But, a team usually needs 6 WR's on a roster. And if Hines goes down, or retires after this season, we will need a replacement. If the value is there at a certain point, don't we have to get him ? Yes I agree we need some D-Line help. And we all want our O-Line to do better. But remember, we will have Max Starks back healthy. As well as Colon, if he is re-signed. And a young versatile Guard in Chris Scott, who was drafted in round 5 last year.

So we have young depth at OL and even CB ( K.Lewis and C.Butler )...but roster players like A.Battle and El scare me cause they are less then average WR's at this time. So we need another WR. But I also agree with you that it's not as high of a need as the D-Line, and maybe CB due to free agency on our team.

pepsyman1
04-17-2011, 10:58 AM
We need a friggin' shut down cornerback....that should be a top priority, along with another O-lineman and finally we should be looking for a nose tackle so that we have someone in the wings to replace Big Snack...those are the true needs that really have to be addressed. A Hines Ward type leader comes along rarely and can't usually be predicted...I wouldn't sweat it trying to replace him. Hines is gonna make sure these guys are ready to move on without him when the time comes.

LLT
04-17-2011, 11:44 AM
here are the WR's that the article mentions:

Jerrel Jernigan is a 5'9 185 prospect from Troy...He ran a 4.46 at the combine and has ran as fast as 4.32. He has 262 career receptions...for 3,128 yard and 5,971 all-purpose yards. Shorter than what most teams typically look for in a reciever but has the ability that make some scouts compare him to DeSean Jackson. Mid-2nd round prospect.

Austin Pettis is a 6'3 205 lb reciever from Boise State...he has ELITE hands, some of the best that I have seen in several years but lacks the quickness and speed to seperate from NFL caliber defensive backs. Pettis needs some coaching on route-running also, so he may be best utilized as a sub package reciever on quick slant routes over the middle. Mid-4th rounder who might slip into the 3rd round.

Greg Salas is a 6'1 210 lb prospect from Hawaii...probably the most "Hines Ward like" reciever mentioned so far. Nice build and long arms...soft hands and good concentration. Fights through tackles and will lower his head for the extra yard. Good body control and has decent but not great on-field speed though not a burner by any means. Ran a 4.53 at the combine. Another player that might be best served as a slot reciever for a few years. Mid 4th round prospect.

Dane Sanzenbacher is a 5'10 182 lbs prospect from Ohio State...possesses good concentration and pretty good hands but I'm not sure that his skill set is that of an NFL wide reciever. I want to like this guy because of his character and work ethic, but I'm not convinced he can contribute at the next level. He is faster than some scouts thought he would be after he ran a 4.52 during his pro day. Might be drafted as a developmental player late in the draft but I wouldnt take him as anything more than a UDFA.

Mark Dell is a 6'1 193 lb WR fron Michigan St...Ran a 4.54 at his pro day. Possible possession reciever who doesnt posses great speed but he knows how to use his hands and body to gain seperation. Good hands and is the most physical of the wide recievers in this draft in regards to his willingness to block. UDFA/Practice squad

Keith Smith is a 6'2 226 lb prospect from Purdue....If you havent hear of him, its not your fault. Smith is recovering from a major knee injury and hasnt been able to perform in front of scouts. He started his college career as a QB...moved to Safety...then to WR. I personally wouldnt have put him on this list at all. I think that he is only here to appease those fans who are still looking for a "slash" player. Smith doesnt have the experience, speed, or body control to warrant draft consideration.

Cecil Shorts III 6'0 200 lb prospect from Mount Union....Why put Cecil Shorts last on this list???!!! Shorts surprised everyone when he ran a 4.50 at his pro day on a slippery track. Football-smart, team captain with great body control and impressive hands. One of the better route runners in this class. Will need to work on functional strength as he can be jammed by physical CB's. Versatile three time D-III All-American played at the same small school as the Colts Pierre Garcon. Shorts has 259 career reception for 4,705 yards and 63 TD's. Listed as a 6th round prospect on many sites...dont be surprised to see him come off the board in the 3rd or 4th round.

ALLD
04-17-2011, 03:56 PM
I will take solid hands over quickness anyday, aka Jerry Rice.

steel striker
04-17-2011, 05:57 PM
I don't think there will ever be a WR like Hines and, the reason I say that is he is a rare breed. I have never seen a WR that can block and do more things away from the ball then Hines. Plus does not complain about not getting the ball. Hines is a special football player and, I don't think you can ever truly replace a guy like that.

st33lersguy
04-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Yeah but we 've also drafted 4 O-linemen and just as many CB's the past 2 drafts. Yes we have drafted 3 WR's, all of whom have done either great, or okay so far. But, a team usually needs 6 WR's on a roster. And if Hines goes down, or retires after this season, we will need a replacement. If the value is there at a certain point, don't we have to get him ? Yes I agree we need some D-Line help. And we all want our O-Line to do better. But remember, we will have Max Starks back healthy. As well as Colon, if he is re-signed. And a young versatile Guard in Chris Scott, who was drafted in round 5 last year.

So we have young depth at OL and even CB ( K.Lewis and C.Butler )...but roster players like A.Battle and El scare me cause they are less then average WR's at this time. So we need another WR. But I also agree with you that it's not as high of a need as the D-Line, and maybe CB due to free agency on our team.

CB is a dire need, Ike Taylor was our only solid player that performed well and he is a free agency. Keenan Lewis has been a bust so far and couldn't beat out a bunch of mediocre at best CBs for playing time. We need more OT depth, to have a better backup plan at the position if the steelers suffer a rash of injuries again. Willie Colon is a free agent and may not recover from his injury Flozell Adams is 36, Jonathan Scott is terrible and at some point Trai Essex played some tackle. Surely this needs to be addressed. We desperately need an upgrade at RG over Trai Essex and Ramon Foster and Chris Scott a 5th rounder is a big question mark given the Steelers track record in the 5th round. So yes we need to draft Offensive Linemen especially considering how Ben gets sacked 50 times every year

86WARD
04-17-2011, 08:00 PM
Austin Pettis is a 6'3 205 lb reciever from Boise State...he has ELITE hands, some of the best that I have seen in several years but lacks the quickness and speed to seperate from NFL caliber defensive backs. Pettis needs some coaching on route-running also, so he may be best utilized as a sub package reciever on quick slant routes over the middle. Mid-4th rounder who might slip into the 3rd round.

Would be a nice replacement. Not afraid to go over the middle and the dude can block. Would be happy with Pettis in the 4th. Very happy.

Psycho Ward 86
04-18-2011, 12:48 AM

We do? Two rookie show upside with 28 and 16 catches a piece and they're already heir apparents? Wallace is too fast to be utilized as a slot receiver. We'd be wasting his talent, he is not the answer. He's our burner, and even then he's just not scrappy enough coming off the press to be a great slot receiver...yet.

They "could" be replacements is the key thing. You don't honestly think you've seen enough from Sanders or Brown to see them staying here for a decade?

Butch
04-18-2011, 08:13 AM
You will NEVER EVER replace Hines Ward!!! He is a one of a kind and that is why I don't want to see him retire anytime soon.

steelerdude15
04-18-2011, 12:30 PM
I don't even want to think of this. :puke:

LLT
04-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Would be a nice replacement. Not afraid to go over the middle and the dude can block. Would be happy with Pettis in the 4th. Very happy.

I tend to agree...out of all those listed in the article...Pettis and Shorts are the two that I would be most happy with.

steelerfan
04-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Pettis is a good WR working the middle of the field, finding openings in a zone. Great Hands and a team player. But he is far and away anything close to being a good, or even an average Blocker.

http://thenationalfootballreport.com/draft/player-profile/austin-pettis/

Austin Pettis-WR-Boise State: 6’3″ #209
Strengths-Has excellent height, frame and big hands. Is a smart player who knows how to find open spots in zone coverage. Has excellent balance, body control and hands. Shows good concentration and fights for the football. Shows the smarts to come back for the football. Big strong hands that snare the football. Is a strong runner after the catch. Added value in the return game. Is tough and durable. Is very willing to go over the middle. Good consistent production.
Weaknesses-Needs to get stronger. Struggles to get off jams. Very average speed. Needs to improve in the blocking game.

LLT
04-18-2011, 01:51 PM
Pettis is a good WR working the middle of the field, finding openings in a zone. Great Hands and a team player. But he is far and away anything close to being a good, or even an average Blocker.

http://thenationalfootballreport.com/draft/player-profile/austin-pettis/

Austin Pettis-WR-Boise State: 6’3″ #209
Strengths-Has excellent height, frame and big hands. Is a smart player who knows how to find open spots in zone coverage. Has excellent balance, body control and hands. Shows good concentration and fights for the football. Shows the smarts to come back for the football. Big strong hands that snare the football. Is a strong runner after the catch. Added value in the return game. Is tough and durable. Is very willing to go over the middle. Good consistent production.
Weaknesses-Needs to get stronger. Struggles to get off jams. Very average speed. Needs to improve in the blocking game.

But remember..."needs to improve in the the blocking game"...does not equal "cannot block". Watch the ESPN film on Pettis during the draft prospect hand drills. I was blown away. He would be a fantastic slot reciever. I was so-so on him until watching that drill...his hands are unbelievable.

Psycho Ward 86
04-18-2011, 03:33 PM
I've been raving for Greg Salas for a good month and a half now. Now there's a prospect that's going to be a ridiculous steal. i dont care what his 40 time says. He is productive as hell.

86WARD
04-18-2011, 04:37 PM
Actually for a WR if you've watched any tapes of Pettis he's a good blocker. Of course he could use improvement at the NFL level. There's not a lot of receivers that don't need improving at the NFL level. But for a WR, he's good.

Craic
04-18-2011, 04:47 PM
We need a friggin' shut down cornerback....that should be a top priority, along with another O-lineman and finally we should be looking for a nose tackle so that we have someone in the wings to replace Big Snack...those are the true needs that really have to be addressed. A Hines Ward type leader comes along rarely and can't usually be predicted...I wouldn't sweat it trying to replace him. Hines is gonna make sure these guys are ready to move on without him when the time comes.

I'm not so convinced about lineman anymore. Come this draft, lineman is NOT our need, based off this assessment (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/6696-QB-sacks-bad-Running-Good-Not-in-today-s-NFL?p=142105&viewfull=1#post142105).
IMO, our list of needs are:
CB- Even if we bring back Ike, there is too much of a drop off after him. Gay does a great job in the Nickel, but is not a number two. McFadden just doesn't seem to get it done as a number 2. Bring someone in to challenge Ike (if he stays) for the number 1 position. Drop the loser of that battle to the second position. Burnett looked good in camp and the preseason last year, until he decided to go down Anthony Smith's famous knucklehead drive. I'm more than willing to give him a chance, but I am not wanting to bet a full season on the kid.

Safety. Both Troy and Clark are getting a bit older, and injury prone. Troy was none existent in the playoffs last year due to injury. He would have been a better asset on the sidelines helping coach up a young, very talented SS in the post-season. We can't keep going through a season just hoping that both Troy and Ryan stay healthy. Mundy is a decent player. But I also want a superior safety back there prepping to take over the position in a couple of years when one or both of our safeties retire.

DL. Except for age, this is not as big a concern as it once was. That is solely do to Ziggy. His play last year has elevated him to starter material. IMO, with the injuries we have seen happen to Aaron smith. I believe that we need to look at moving him to back up, and then rotating him in games. Let him even start two or three games down the road, just to give a breather to Keisel and Ziggy. It will extend Smith's career by a couple of years as well, keeping intact a very good D line. Hoke has shown that he is a great backup, and while the same age as Big Snack, the two of them can platoon at the position without any let down. Plus, I'd like to see Ziggy give NT a shot. He is only 5 pounds lighter than Hoke, and an inch taller. Plus, he is FAST for a big guy. I mean, his fastest 40 time is a 4.78. That is 3/10's slower than guys weighting 30-50 pounds LESS than him. That is downright frightening. Heck, anyone wanna see him lose 20 pounds and play LB? He'd probably pick up enough speed to do it too.

LB. Right now, this is the least of our problems. Sylvester, Fox, Foote, and Worlids are all sitting on the bench waiting to play. Sylvester is learning the game and has the look of a nasty, mean LB, something the Steelers have never had :chuckle: Fox and Foote are absolutely solid backups and can come in with barely a let up. They're not starters, but outside of players who are a year away from taking over a position, I'd say these two are the best 2nd string LB's in the league. Worlids really seemed to click towards the end of last year. Expect big things from him. If we draft in this position, it is either camp fodder, or there's just something REAL special about a kid... I am not even sure BPA would apply here this year.

On the offense. There's no reason to even think QB or RB this year. We have a strong stable of RB's. Same is true with our WR's. If we DO draft at WR, it will be the same as LB, or, someone will fall to us that is just too good to pass up. I know everyone likes to harp on TE's. But seriously. We have 3 that, rank them however you will, probably rank better as a whole than most other teams. Why waste a pick there? That leaves the line. Center is untouchable, and WHAT A DRAFT PICK last year. The mountain of an ogre at LG is pretty solid. Yeah, he makes his mistakes. But I'll take them for what he provides. At RT, we have Hotel coming back, AND also Willie Colon. Say what you will about Colon. He is a player who seldom outright gets beat. The year before last, he was our best lineman, and I'd say, in a scale of bad, decent, average, better than average, top-- I'd say he was better than average, and at the high end there. That leaves two positions for us to worry about on the Line if we have to go there. RG and LT. Starks, when he is on, is a very good player. But he is very streaky. Legurskey I think has earned a look at LG. He played an unbelievable SB. His name wasn't mentioned once, and that is saying something against the defense they faced-though with his ability to be moved around (even to FB), they may want to keep him as a backup at 3-4 positions instead of starting him. Essex, I think, is still a better LT than a RG. Heck, why not flip Essex and Starks. We have a glut of players on the O line. A position that, according to the link at the top of this post, really isn't as important as everyone makes it out to be, to have top players. If we do draft here, I'd want a RG first. Then a left tackle. There's no reason to go anywhere else.

Outside of that, BPA. We are in a very nice position heading into this draft. I'd prefer we pick up a FA to fill the CB position (though I know it won't happen). That way, in this draft, we can target who we want, and trade away draft picks to go get 'em.

Moose
04-19-2011, 08:30 AM
WR's aren't that hard to get. However, a great WR such as Hine's comes around very rarely. Hine's is dangerous as a WR when catching ( usually if he can touch the ball he'll catch the ball), and as we all know he's awesome on the defense also.....smacking awesome hits when coming off the line and/or opponents players anywhere on the field- a technique not many WR possess. I'm not sure you can teach what skills and motivation Hine's has. He 'wants' the game and win when he plays....you can see it in his eyes and on his face. He's definitely a 'team' player, which alot of the young rookies don't have. I really don't think Hine's is as worried about the 'stats' as many other WR's. I hope Hine's is around and healthy many, many, many more years, but as we all know he can't continue playing his style or game too many more years. I do hope he remains with the Black/Gold and teach our young players what to look for and how to play the game. We are sooooo lucky to be able to say that Hine's Ward is a STEELER !!

Goaline
04-19-2011, 11:00 AM
BigBen can make most decent WR's look good! :)

Psycho Ward 86
04-19-2011, 11:18 AM
Jernigan's stock is probably too high for us, but I would say he's the best wide receiver behind the consensus Julio Jones and AJ Green. Kid has INSANE balance.

steelerfan
04-19-2011, 11:50 AM
What about " Sleeper " Courtney Smith of South Alabama ? Kid is not straight line speed quick. But he is big, strong, and has the longest arms of ANY WR in this draft, or in the NFL right now.

http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/sp/ap_photo/20110127/all/l4980569.jpg

South Alabama WR Courtney Smith (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=66444&draftyear=2011&genpos=WR) is a guy that I've been paying attention to for a while, starting a few weeks before the Senior Bowl, and could be a potential sleeper pick in the 6th-7th rounds as a developmental project.
Smith has prototypical size for a number one receiver - 6'4, 225lbs and apparently the most physically impressive specimen at the Senior Bowl week. I don't take much stock in how cut a guy is, but I remember hearing people rave about it so I guess it bears mentioning. He's got decently big hands at 9.5" and ridiculously long arms, measuring 33.75". This is worth mentioning too because his arms are longer than those of Calvin Johnson (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/19053/calvin-johnson), Brandon Marshall (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/players/37102/brandon-marshall), Braylon Edwards (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2646/braylon-edwards) or Marques Colston (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2005/marques-colston) - and gives him a definite advantage over smaller corners.
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/images/blog/star-divide.v777cf8a.jpg
He's raw and has struggled with drops, especially at the Senior Bowl - not the greatest attribute - but he's got through-the-roof physical potential so he could be worth a flyer pick. Smith was originally projected to run a 4.3 or 4.4 by people in the know but the ran a more down-to-earth 4.62 at the Alabama pro day. Afterwords, according to this article from the National Football Post, (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Courtney-Smith-to-catch-passes-from-Greg-McElroy-on-April-5.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter) scouts approached him after running and mentioned that with a decent start, Smith would have ran a 4.5.
His slower time surprised people, including himself, and the usual "I play faster" excuse was thrown out there. I am actually a believer to some extent in this concept - in the way that some people don't test well, some guys don't run standardized tests like the 40 all that well but have ridiculous speed in games. You can't ignore the 40 times, but they're not the end-all and be-all for football speed.

CBSSportsline profile

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1797154

5 WR Sleeper write up.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2011/3/11/2043972/top-5-late-round-wr-prospects

Steelersfan
04-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Needs ! Needs ! Needs !

That's all we hear and talk about. Let me ask a question ? Did anybody (Posters here, So-called draft experts, Pittsburgh local media, TV analysts) ANYBODY ??? Did anybody think or predict we were in need of drafting 3 linebackers last season???

The Steelers are picking next to last in every round. You don't draft for need there! Teams like Detriot & Cleveland draft for need.

If your drafting top 8 (or so) or less you can draft for need. When drafting where the Steelers normally do, you take what the draft deals you. And no one can argue the Steelers success in working the draft that way.

The Steelers are most definitely hoping to draft a Wide Receiver. I even feel it could be as high a pick as Baldwin, but if I had to put money on it today, I'd say come draft day Edmund Gates or Greg Little will be the new Steeler wide receiver.

Don't forget who our Offense Coordinator is? (5 Wide Arians) Don't forget which way the league is leaning? (Pass Happy Offense Oriented)

The Steelers even looked at and signed Wide Receivers at the end of last season to the off season roster. Somebody in the organization wants a receiver!!!

steelerfan
04-19-2011, 07:20 PM
Needs ! Needs ! Needs !

That's all we hear and talk about. Let me ask a question ? Did anybody (Posters here, So-called draft experts, Pittsburgh local media, TV analysts) ANYBODY ??? Did anybody think or predict we were in need of drafting 3 linebackers???

The Steelers are picking next to last in every round. You don't draft for need there! Teams like Detriot, Cleveland draft for need.

If your drafting top 8 (or so) or less you can draft for need. When drafting where the Steelers normally do, you take what your dealt.

The Steelers are most definitely hoping to draft a Wide Receiver. I even feel it could be as high a pick as Baldwin, but if I had to put money on it today, I'd say come draft day Edmund Gates or Greg Little will be a new Steeler wide receiver.

Don't forget who our Offense Coordinator is? (5 Wide Arians)

Expert

Steelers won't touch Greg Little with a 10ft pole. Dude is a serious bad Character guy. And didn't play a down this season. No way, Pettis is way way better. And more like Hines in many many ways.

Steelersfan
04-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Steelers won't touch Greg Little with a 10ft pole. Dude is a serious bad Character guy. And didn't play a down this season. No way, Pettis is way way better. And more like Hines in many many ways.

It's not like he's some freakin loser thug. He had some kind of agent type violation. Probably wasn't even his fault, but the fault of the people representing him.

The Duke
04-19-2011, 07:30 PM

agree

I think Little will be a great talent to whoever gets him late, but he's not worth the risk for us imo

Steelersfan
04-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Steelers won't touch Greg Little with a 10ft pole. Dude is a serious bad Character guy.

agree

I think Little will be a great talent to whoever gets him late, but he's not worth the risk for us imo

Steelerfan/Duke can yinz explain your opinions here ??? The reason I ask is, the way I see it, Little is a higher rated receiver and has a higher potential ceiling than say Pettis. Pettis will more than likely be overdrafted making someone like Little a much better value.

I think the Steelers really want a receiver, but I don't think they want to use a high pick on one. Little/Gates, I think, are more the value type pick they'll be hoping to fall into their lap. Sorta, this years Antonio Brown pick.

steelerfan
04-19-2011, 07:56 PM
Steelerfan/Duke can yinz explain your opinions here ??? The reason I ask is, the way I see it Little is a higher rated/has a higher potential ceiling than say Pettis. Pettis will more than likely be overdrafted making someone like Little a much better value.

I think the Steelers really want a receiver, but I don't think they want to use a high pick on one. Little/Gates, I think, are more the value they'll be hoping to fall in their lap. Sorta, this years Antonio Brown pick.

Sure I will explain.

1) Little was caught taking rather expensive gifts from his agents. And while Investigating it after the 2009 season, Little was doing his best " Michael Vick " routine. Denying it, saying it was all lies. Saying things so arrogantly like, " Everythang is everythang , and it's gonna be alright. " Well, it wasn't. When dead solid proof was provided of Little's guilt, then and ONLY then did he start coming off so contrite and apologetic....sorry, I don't buy it.

2) And the main reason why I would never spend a 3rd, let alone a 4th or 5th rounder on Little is because basically, he reminds me of 2 former WR's. Body wise, he is another "".....David Boston. Meanning he will probably " Body build "
his way OUT of the league. Little is too stiff, and not flexible. And the second WR he reminds me of, and this one is more dead on, he is the second coming of " Chad Jackson " A guy who's more known as a work out guy, then ever a ON THE FIELD guy!
Even in 2009, Greg Little was nothing. He barely averaged 11 Yds a catch. Had just 5 TD's. And was made to look like the Invisable man out there in the few games I watched him play in against BIG TIME opponents.

As where Austin Pettis has the hands, decent speed ( Or at least as good as Hines speed when he came out )..the height, and Pettis has ALWAYS shown up for the big games against BIG TIME opponents.

That's why sir.

Steelersfan
04-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Sure I will explain.

As where Austin Pettis has the hands, decent speed ( Or at least as good as Hines speed when he came out )..the height, and Pettis has ALWAYS shown up for the big games against BIG TIME opponents.

I'm not denying the potential Pettis has. As a matter of fact, I think that's the problem. I feel Pettis will be drafted in the 3rd, hell maybe even the 2nd round. I think someone like Little will fall further and be more of the WR value the Steelers are hoping for. His transgressions (taking gifts at a young vulnerable age, that his crooked agent was feeding him) doesn't qualify him as a "bad character DND type" of player to me. I think he could be more of a find/steal in the draft, where as, you will have to pay for Pettis. Also, for the record, Edmund Gates is my #1 choice. I think he has Pettis's talent combined with Little's draft value.

steelerfan
04-19-2011, 08:34 PM
I'm not denying the potential Pettis has. As a matter of fact, I think that's the problem. I feel Pettis will be drafted in the 3rd, hell maybe even the 2nd round. I think someone like Little will fall further and be more of the WR value the Steelers are hoping for. His transgressions (taking gifts at a young vulnerable age, that his crooked agent was feeding him) doesn't qualify him as a "bad character DND type" of player to me. I think he could be more of a find/steal in the draft, where as, you will have to pay for Pettis. Also, for the record, Edmund Gates is my #1 choice. I think he has Pettis's talent combined with Little's draft value.

First, Little was NOT the victim in him taking gifts. And I'm assuming you didn't see the highlights right after it happened, and saw how " Hip-Hop " Gangsta Little acted. As far as it goes to Little being had later in the draft, and Pettis would have to selected alot higher, maybe even in round 2 as you stated. Below is two links to the top prospects via NBCSports and Draftscout,,,check who is ranked at 105 overall, and who is ranked at 160 overall.....

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings?&start_row=101

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings?&start_row=151

If you actually looked at most ALL the draft experts list of top players, they have Little rated above Pettis. And for NO other reason then the measurables, and not on the field production.

Steelersfan
04-19-2011, 09:06 PM
Good discussion, I'm lov'in this time of year!!!

Your last post is exactly my point. As I said, he is rated higher as a receiver, BUT I believe Pettis will be drafted ahead of him for the reasons you've stated. Thus the better value and possibility of him being available in maybe the 4th or 5th round.

Interesting ranking list you posted there from 101 to 150 (4th round area): http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...&start_row=101

Lots of players there in that range that the Steelers have reportedly shown interest in. Could be a round they target heavy if they try to work some trades on draft day.

And Greg Little sitting at the top of that list makes him a great value in the 4th round or later, RIGHT ??? Just say'in !!!

steelerfan
04-19-2011, 09:21 PM
[QUOTE=Steelersfan;156491]Good discussion, I'm lov'in this time of year!!!

Your last post is exactly my point. As I said, he is rated higher as a receiver, BUT I believe Pettis will be drafted ahead of him for the reasons you've stated. Thus the better value and possibility of him being available in maybe the 4th or 5th round.

The greater point you are missing is...Little CAN'T play! He is ALL Work out hype. In his one only season as a WR he did nothing..I SAW many of his games. His ONLY one decent game was for 169 Yds and 2 TD's in 2009 against North Carolina State. Who were a Horrible team, and among the worst defensive teams in all of college football. The rest of his games, Little was a nobody. But because he is tall, huge, strong, looks GREAT in practice shorts, some idiotic team WILL draft Greg Little based on that. And I guarantee you little will be drafted before Pettis will be.

And that will be a HUGE Mistake for the team that is dumb enough to take Greg Little over Austin Pettis.

Psycho Ward 86
04-19-2011, 10:23 PM
I'm going to go with Greg Salas over everybody til the very end...

steelerfan
04-19-2011, 10:49 PM
I'm going to go with Greg Salas over everybody til the very end...

Salas was a very productive WR the past 2 years in Hawaii's gimmick offense. But he is not the WR that Pettis is. Salas struggled badly at the senior Bowl with rounding off his routes sharpley, and with quite a few drops on very easy catchable passes ( This from Pro Football weekley's wrap up on the senior bowl )...However, because of his 100 + catch seasons at Hawaii, Salas will likely be a late 2nd, or early 3rd WR taken. And we will not take a WR in the first 2 rounds, nor should we. And Pettis has proven it in bigger games against A-1 defensive talent. Salas has not. He was totally blanketed during the senior bowl game catching 1 pass for 2 Yds.

Not worth even mentioning him as compared to Pettis.

steelerfan
04-20-2011, 10:46 AM
More evidence they will select a WR in this draft,,,per kffl,

Steelers | Likely will release Antwaan Randle El (http://www.kffl.com/hotw/gnews.php?id=707669-steelers-likely-will-release-antwaan-randle-el)
Wed, 20 Apr 2011 08:32:37 -0700
The Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.kffl.com/team/30/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers) likely will release WR Antwaan Randle El (http://www.kffl.com/player/1549/nfl/antwaan-randle_el) this offseason, according to Gerry Dulac, of SportingNews.com.
0 Comments (http://www.kffl.com/hotw/gnews.php?id=707669-steelers-likely-will-release-antwaan-randle-el) | Share: http://www.kffl.com/images/icons/twitter.jpg (http://twitter.com/?status=KFFL.com: Steelers | Likely will release Antwaan Randle El- http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=707669)http://www.kffl.com/images/icons/facebook.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=707669-steelers-likely-will-release-antwaan-randle-el) | Source: SportingNews.com - Gerry Dulac (http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-01/2011-nfl-draft/story/nfl-draft-countdown-pittsburgh-steelers)

LLT
04-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Salas was a very productive WR the past 2 years in Hawaii's gimmick offense. But he is not the WR that Pettis is. Salas struggled badly at the senior Bowl with rounding off his routes sharpley, and with quite a few drops on very easy catchable passes ( This from Pro Football weekley's wrap up on the senior bowl )...However, because of his 100 + catch seasons at Hawaii, Salas will likely be a late 2nd, or early 3rd WR taken. And we will not take a WR in the first 2 rounds, nor should we. And Pettis has proven it in bigger games against A-1 defensive talent. Salas has not. He was totally blanketed during the senior bowl game catching 1 pass for 2 Yds.

Not worth even mentioning him as compared to Pettis.

Actually...Greg Salas is ranked as a late 3rd/early 4th round prospect.

steelerfan
04-20-2011, 11:30 AM
Actually...Greg Salas is ranked as a late 3rd-early 4th round prospect.

Never know LLT, I have him lower. Salas is okay. But Hawaii has always ran that gimmick offense, and has always produced skill players with huge numbers. But hardly any have ever had NFL Success LLT. Or as I remember.

LLT
04-20-2011, 11:40 AM
Never know LLT, I have him lower. Salas is okay. But Hawaii has always ran that gimmick offense, and has always produced skill players with huge numbers. But hardly any have ever had NFL Success LLT. Or as I remember.

How about Davon Bess?

If we could get 70+ catches and 750-800 yards a year like Bess is giving the Dolphins.....I would call it a successful mid round pick.

Psycho Ward 86
04-20-2011, 12:04 PM
I wouldn't call it a gimmick offense because they throw more than just about anybody. ANYTIME you can snare 119 catches for 1889 yards, a 15.9 average, and 14 TD's, that is production at its finest. I'm not quite as concerned about speed as most people, he's got game speed more than anything. I saw part of that Senior Bowl too, to me it just looked like he wanted to try to show off his YAC ability (which he has a crap ton of) before he secured the ball. He's usually sure handed as anybody. Imo, better game speed, hands, and ruggedness/toughness than Pettis, but that's just me.

Salas is more of an upside guy I guess. He has the potential to be way better than the higher ranked WR prospects but he could falter as well. And yes, as LLT said, a Davone Bess type career in Pittsburgh would be a supremely successful 3rd/4th round pick