PDA

View Full Version : Seven Round Mock

Chidi29
04-16-2011, 08:49 PM
Complete seven round mock of every team is complete. I'll follow it up with a more detailed breakdown of each of the Steelers' selections afterwards. Couple points I want to make first.

- This mock is more of what I think should happen instead of what I think will actually happen. I may end up doing a first round mock to reflect what I think will happen. A lot has changed since I started this mock in early March.

Here are some of my biggest dislikes about my mock. You always wish it could be perfect but it never is. And I hate to say it, but sometimes the work in changing it is just too much and makes it seem more like a task than something I do for fun and for information.

These aren't all the things I dislike about what I did but highlights some of the bigger flaws.

- Tight ends. Not enough in the draft, not including UDFAs. I should have about 20 as there have been more and more taken in recent years with the decline of using the FB. I only have around 14/15. Plus, the first tight end is taken too late. Kyle Rudolph in the back end of the second. It is a poor tight end class but he should have gone earlier.

- Brandon Harris: In hindsight, a bit too high. I do like him a good deal and this mock is more about what I think should happen than what will, but eleven is a reach.

- Jacksonville's draft. Definitely should have gotten them a linebacker. Didn't realize Morrison and Durant were likely to hit the market.

- Pat Devlin. He's too high. At best, you're looking at a mid-round prospect. He was slated there before his poor Pro Day.

- Didn't watch enough prospects. I watched about eighty, though around fifteen don't appear anywhere in my mock, but that didn't feel like enough and that I had to rely too much on measurables, stats, and what other people said more than what I thought and felt. I'll have to try to watch more next year, especially guys that are expected to be mid-round selections.

---------------

Without further ado, I'll post my mock. Thanks for taking the time to look at it and feel free to discuss your thoughts.

Chidi29
04-16-2011, 08:49 PM
Round One

1. Carolina Panthers - Marcell Dareus/DT Alabama: It was widely agreed upon that DT Nick Fairley would be occupying this spot. The key word being "was". The competition for the #1 is as wide open as ever. As much as a need for an upgrade at DE has been discussed, DT is an even bigger area of concern. The team does have Charles Johnson and George Selvie at DE. Drafting a DE such as Bowers isn't a need. Dareus is extremely strong with quick hands and can be flat out dominant at times. You know Dareus has also been coached well by Nick Saban. Dareus will be a cornerstone along the defensive line.

2. Denver Broncos - Nick Fairley/DT Auburn: Champ Bailey has re-signed with the team and coach John Fox has been singing the praises of Robert Ayers' chances of success at DE. That would lessen the chances, of course not eliminating, of the team selecting Bowers of CB Patrick Peterson. The team is switching back to a 4-3 after Josh McDaniels was let go and Fox brought in. Denver has little to offer along the interior defensive line. Fairley had a monster season after being a relative unknown prior. With a quick first step and the ability to dominate in the biggest games, such as the National Championship game, Fairley will be a welcomed addition.

3. Buffalo Bills - Patrick Peterson/CB LSU: Buffalo is a tough team to mock. An unpredictable bunch, as shown by their selection fo CJ Spiller last season despite having Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson. Spiller was definitely more of a value pick than a need one. The same case happens here. The team does have McGee and McKelvin but Peterson is likely the best player available. Trying to stop a team like New England is going to require multiple skilled cornerbacks. Peterson fits the bill.

4. Cincinnati Bengals - AJ Green/WR Georgia: Although there is a lot of turmoil at QB, there isn't a player worth drafting this high. Chad Ochocinco has taken digs at owner Mike Brown, indicating that we wants to play elsewhere. Jerome Simpson did come on strong last year, but it's a limited sample size for a player that was close to being named a bust beforehand. Green is an athletic freak with great size, standing in at 6'4 211.

5. Arizona Cardinals - Von Miller/OLB Texas A&M: Arizona desperately needs to upgrade its pass rush and get younger at the position. Coach Ken Whisenhunt said that Joey Porter played too much for his age in 2010 and Clark Haggans isn't a spring chicken either. Miller was a wreaking ball his junior and senior seasons, racking up 39 TFL and 27.5 TFL. He is the best OLB in this year's class. The team has an obvious void at QB but again, there simply isn't anyone worth taking that high.

6. Cleveland Browns - DaQuan Bowers/DE Clemson: The Browns will be switching to a 4-3 this season and could really use help improving its front four. He isn't an elite pass rusher but a great athlete who excels in getting off blocks, playing the run, and wreaking havoc in general. He'll give the Browns' pass rush the face lift that it needs.

7. San Francisco 49ers - Robert Quinn/OLB North Carolina: These past three picks exhibit the value that has been placed on having a top tier pass rusher in today's league. Ahmad Brooks and Manny Lawson aren't bad but aren't game-changing OLBs. Quinn can be as evident by his 19 TFL and 11 sacks two years ago. Having to sit out this past year hurt him but the ability he showed two years ago will be tough for any team to pass up.

8. Tennessee Titans - Julio Jones/WR Alabama: Now things get interesting. There isn't a "no-brainer" pick for the Titans based on the way the picks ahead turned out. One thing that can never be ignored in the draft, especially in the first round where you're giving a bag of money to your pick, is value. Jones is the best player on the board. The team does have Kenny Britt but getting another tall, athletic monster in Jones would make it very difficult for defenses. Throw in Chris Johnson and the possible emergence of Jared Cook and you have the makings of a potent offense, even with Kerry Collins under center. It's just not worth reaching for a QB because you feel obligated to have a guy you can trot out as the face of the franchise.

9. Dallas Cowboys - Prince Amukamara/CB Nebraska: This pick is a little easier to decide on. The Cowboys pass defense ranked 26th in the league with Mike Jenkins regressing and looking disinterested at times while Terrence Newman showed his age. Amukamara proved any critics wrong by running in the low 4.4s at the Combine.

10. Washington Redskins - Cam Newton/QB Auburn: This is a case where I could see this happening more than I personally believe in the idea. Donovan McNabb clearly hasn't worked out and he'll likely be with another team by the start of the 2011 season. Needless to say, the team is in search of a new QB. Newton is not my #1 QB, rather ranked third, but he fits the bill of what coach Mike Shanahan is looking for. A big, mobile quarterback with a strong arm. That's what he had in Denver with Elway and in drafting Jay Cutler.

11. Houston Texans - Brandon Harris/CB Miami (FL): Ideally, one of the top two corners would have fallen. Obviously not the case. Luckily, it's a strong cornerback class. Harris is undersized but is extremely fluid and comes from a school that consistently churns out top defensive backs. Houston's secondary is a glaring need, being perhaps the worst in the league last season. It may be a bit higher than preferred, but Houston doesn't have a ton of options.

12. Minnesota Vikings - Blaine Gabbert/QB Missouri: Leslie Frazier has made it clear that getting a franchise QB is the team's top priority. Gabbert is not my top QB, far from it, but he will go high in the draft and is a good fit for the Vikings. Minnesota runs a West Coast and Gabbert has the mobility to be used on rollouts. More mobility than a prospect such as Ryan Mallett. Plus, Minnesota's offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave stated that he would run a "simple" offense, relatively speaking. That will make it easier for any college QB, especially one coming out of a simple spread like Gabbert.

13. Detriot Lions - Tyron Smith/OT USC: The team has ignored left tackle enough, hanging onto Jeff Backus. To his credit, Backus had a better year than expected but is nearing the end of his career. Smith bulked up for the Combine, weighing in at 307, and fares well in space. His run blocking is a lot better than you'd think; Smith shows good leverage and leg drive.

14. St. Louis Rams - Cameron Jordan/DE California: The Rams are fortunate to be looking for a defensive lineman in such a strong class. Jordan will line up opposite of Chris Long, who finally turned it on this year. Jordan is strong against the run and uses his long arms to disengage from lineman. This helps him against the run and off the edge.

15. Miami Dolphins - Mark Ingram/RB Alabama: A pretty vanilla pick here. It has widely been speculated that the Dolphins will pick Ingram. It is possible Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown won't be with Miami in 2011, leaving the team with a vacancy in a run-oriented offense. Ingram has good size and the best balance in his class. He won't blow anyone away with his speed, but his ability to stay on his feet is very impressive. He'll give the Dolphins a workhorse at running back.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars - JJ Watt/DE Wisconsin: I'm not entirely happy with this pick but Watt is good value. While the team has a poor track record with selecting defensive lineman early, Watt is a strong prospect. Excellent size and a lot more explosive than you'd think. Aaron Kampman is coming off a torn ACL and the Jags haven't had a solid pass rush in awhile. The secondary is also a need but there aren't any good enough options on the board to warrant going in that direction.

17. New England Patriots - Cameron Heyward/DE Ohio St: New England is always a tough team to figure out because they rarely have glaring needs. Of course, that opens up the options on the draft board. In getting Heyward, New England will be getting a DE who is similar to Richard Seymour. A player who is strong against the run but offers more passing rushing ability than the typical five technique. Heyward has good bloodlines with his father "Ironhead" playing in the NFL.

18. San Diego Chargers - Aldon Smith/OLB Missouri: Larry English has had a slow start to his career and Shawne Merriman's career ended "lights out", now stuck in Buffalo. Smith is raw and needs to get better against the run, but he fires of the ball consistently and can come in early as a situational pass rusher

19. New York Giants - Akeem Ayers/OLB UCLA: Clint Sintim has had struggles early in his career and the Giants could use an upgrade at linebacker. Ayers is a dual threat with the ability to rush the passer and be a tackling machine. Based on the board, this is the best pick for the Giants.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Ryan Kerrigan/DE Purdue: Tampa Bay was tied next to last in sacks with a paltry 26. It's a testament to how deep this defensive line class when the #6 DE is going in the top 20. Kerrigan is best suited playing with his hand down a he isn't the most fluid in coverage. Kerrigan isn't an overly flashy player but an ultra-productive one with a non-stop motor. That mentality seems to be common at Purdue with past players like Mike Neal having similar scouting reports.

21. Kansas City Chiefs - Phil Taylor/NT Baylor: He's one of a couple mammoth nose tackles with a non-stop motor. Taylor doesn't always look as strong as he should but had an excellent game against Illinois' pro style offense in Baylor's bowl game. The Chiefs' defensive line is set with first round picks of Glenn Dorsey and Tyson Jackson at DE. Now, KC gets a first rounder to clog the middle.

22. Indianapolis Colts - Gabe Carimi/OT Wisconsin: It's amazing how little attention the Colts' line has received in the past few seasons. It hasn't been the same since Tarik Glenn retired. Most believe Carimi will have to play on the right side in the NFL, but he has the athletic ability to be on Peyton's blindside. His run blocking is his strong suit and he does an excellent job of locking on, even at the second level. He'll be a boost to a Colts team that has to keep Manning upright and can help them get back to using their patented stretch play on a consistent, effective basis.

23. Philadelphia Eagles - Mike Pouncey/OG Florida: A team that needs help along the line. Mike McGlynn isn't terrible but he isn't the ideal long-term solution. Pouncey is not as good as his twin brother but is talented in his own right. He has a mean streak like Maurkice and is an athlete, used numerous times on pull plays.

24. New Orleans Saints - Justin Houston/DE Georgia: Houston showed that he is looking to play defensive end at the next level, weighing in at 270 pounds at the Combine. Will Smith is quickly getting older and will slow down. The team upgraded its interior line by signing Shaun Rogers and know focuses its attention on defensive end.

25. Seattle Seahawks - Jake Locker/QB Washington: Locker has been gaining steam the past two weeks and there's a chance he could be selected in the top ten come draft day. He's a great fit for Seattle's West Coast. Locker is inconsistent but has always shown great accuracy when moving outside of the pocket, key for a mobile QB. He's a tough, gritty QB that everyone in the locker room will respect. Matt Hasselbeck is well into his 30s and has been dealing with back issues. Charlie Whitehurst did not look good last season. Locker gives them a franchise QB.

26. Baltimore Ravens - Torrey Smith/WR Maryland: It's no secret the team needs to have a vertical threat at WR. Smith ran a 4.43 at the Combine. Derrick Mason and Anquan Boldin are quality possession receivers but neither are going to stretch the field. Smith will open up Baltimore's offense.

27. Atlanta Falcons - Nate Solder/OT Colorado: This is a tough selection for Atlanta without many true needs and the top defensive ends off the board. Sam Baker has been benched at various points in his career, leading fans to sour on him. Solder is a huge body that moves very well, a former tight end. Cornerback is less of a need with the strong play of Brent Grimes.

28. New England Patriots - Brooks Reed/OLB Arizona: With so many picks, it's only going to get tougher to decide on what position to look at. Reed's stock has shot up after posting the best ten-yard split at his position, showcasing his acceleration. By draft day, Reed could be going in the first round or early second in a lot of mocks. Keep an eye on him.

29. Chicago Bears - Corey Liguet/DT Ilinois: Tommie Harris was just released after an unproductive past two seasons. Chicago doesn't have much on the interior defensive line. Liguet had a strong junior year and will give them an explosive tackle inside.

30. New York Jets - Anthony Castonzo/OT Boston College: Offensive line isn't a pressing need for the Jets but Castonzo is tough to pass on late in the first round. Damien Woody was let go after age and injuries sapped him of his ability, leaving a void at right tackle. Castonzo may be thought of as more of a left tackle, but he is a solid run blocker who will get better after a little bit of coaching to work on his hand placement.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers - Ben Ijalana/OG Villanova: I've gone back and forth on this pick but finally settled on Ijalana. There is a hole at right guard for Pittsburgh and the team hasn't had a stabilizing force at the position since Kendall Simmons. That even only lasted a short time. Ijalana has top notch upper body strength and a ton of experience, albeit at right tackle. The team will now be able to use trap blocks from either guard instead of just the left side.

32. Green Bay Packers - Adrian Clayborn/DE Iowa: Not a lot of flaws for the defending champs. The team is likely to lose Cullen Jenkins, its best defensive end. Clayborn is a quick-twitch player who made his teammates at Iowa better. His medical history is concerning and may only fit in an odd front.

Chidi29
04-16-2011, 08:50 PM
Round Two

33. New England Patriots - Leonard Hankerson/WR Miami (FL): The beginning of the second round. Again, no major areas of concern for the team. Hankerson ran an excellent forty time for his build and can give the team a complete WR. Brandon Tate is a speedster but I don't trust his knees. As valuable of a slot receiver as Wes Welker, he isn't going to stretch the field. Taylor Price redshirted but Hankerson is a better prospect.

34. Buffalo Bills - Ryan Mallett/QB Arkansas: There have been rumors of the team being interested in Cam Newton but Patrick Peterson was too tough to pass up in the first round. Ryan Fitzpatrick gave the team some stability last year at the position but he's a question mark as a long-term option. Mallett has one of the best arms in his class and puts a ton of zips on his throws. When I watched him, he handled the blitz much better than what others think about his pocket presence. Hard to pass him up this late.

35. Cincinnati Bengals - Andy Dalton/QB TCU: The Carson Palmer situation is obviously extremely ugly. Palmer has repeatedly said that he won't play again for the team; rather, preferring to retire if he isn't traded. Trading him will be difficult to do given his contract. Haven't watched Dalton so it's tough for me to get a read on the guy but he was definitely a winner in college and seems to have the smarts and accuracy to make it at the next level.

36. Denver Broncos - Muhammad Wilkerson/DT Temple: Denver goes back-to-back at defensive tackle much like Tampa Bay did last year with Gerald McCoy and Brian Price. The Temple product is the best player available and will give Denver two strong options on the interior. Wilkerson has been rising up draft boards after a strong senior year and impressive combine. .

37. Cleveland Browns - Stephen Paea/DT Oregon St: More help on the front four for Cleveland. Paea's stock took a dip after tearing his meniscus during the Senior Bowl, but stole the show at the bench press after repping 225 a record 49 times. That strength translates to the field as he routinely attracted double and triple teams while still putting up numbers. He and Rubin will be quite the force on the interior.

38. Arizona Cardinals - Rodney Hudson/OG Florida St: Although their average was decent, the Cardinals were dead last in yards per game on the ground. Getting a good line will create a larger commitment to the running game and hopefully jumpstart Beanie Wells' performance. With Alan Faneca long past his prime and Deuce Lutui a free agent, Hudson will provide a boost inside. If he was a few inches taller and a little bit heavier, he'd be the best guard prospect to come out in years. His poor agility numbers at the Combine after a weight gain is a bit concerning but if he drops back down to 290, he'll be a great guard. His supreme athletic ability is unmatched in this year's guard class.

39. Tennessee Titans - Christian Ponder/QB Florida St: Waiting for a QB pays off for the Titans. Ponder has been on the rise in a relatively weak QB class. He doesn't have much of an arm and his shoulder problems are major issues but was a top prospect when healthy. Vince Young is obviously going to be gone and Kerry Collins isn't a long-term option but can start for a year if Ponder is not deemed ready.

40. Dallas Cowboys - Marcus Cannon/OT TCU: Cannon fits the Cowboys power scheme perfectly. Leonard Davis' play really fell off last year to the point where he was benched for his poor play, and Marc Colombo is 32. Cannon is a monster at 358 pounds and has enough lateral movement to play right tackle in the pros. He could also move inside to right guard.

41. Washington Redskins - Martez Wilson/ILB Illinois: The team is continuing to make changes as it will enter its second year running the 3-4. Inside linebacker Rocky McIntosh is not expected to return and as solid and underrated as London Fletcher is, he's well into his 30s. Wilson is built well and is very athletic to go along with a 100+ tackle senior season. .

42. Houston Texans - Rahim Moore/FS UCLA: The first safety off the board in a weak class. Houston continues to fix its poor secondary, one that recorded just thirteen interceptions last season. Moore's numbers in his senior year were down but he had an eye-popping ten picks his junior season.

43. Minnesota Vikings - Derek Sherrod/OT Mississippi St: I'm not as high on Sherrod as most but this is good value close to mid-way through the second round. Bryant McKinnie is falling apart and had a meltdown at the Pro Bowl, eventually being sent home. Sherrod is a nimble pass protector but needs to get stronger against the run, lacking upper body strength.

44. Detroit Lions - Jimmy Smith/CB Colorado: Smith was the Revis or Asomugha of college football with teams rarely throwing to his side of the field his senior season. Smith fits Gunther Cunningham's scheme. A big, physical press corner. The Lions need help at cornerback. Fans are still trying to forget Alphonso Smith played last Thanksgiving. Character concerns are Smith's biggest hurdle and the reason why he dropped this far.

45. San Francisco 49ers - Colin Kaepernick/QB Nevada: Alex Smith's injuries, constant change of offensive coordinators, and general poor play, has all but sealed his fate as a bust in San Fran. Kaepernick has the mobility and surprisingly good accuracy for Jim Harbaugh's West Coast. Kaepernick will have to work on his decision-making; he tends to stare down receivers and force throws.

46. Denver Broncos - Mikel Leshoure/RB Illinois: Running back isn't the biggest need for Denver but Leshoure is good value. Moreno hasn't shown he can stay healthy, dealing with leg injuries throughout last year. John Fox could carry over the mentality of dual threats at running back as he had in Carolina with DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart. Leshoure is built well and had a spectacular senior season.

47. St. Louis Rams - Bruce Carter/OLB North Carolina: James Laurinaitis is the piece in the middle that has been missing but there still isn't much flanking him. The Rams' outside linebackers are made up of has-beens and never-was players. Carter was one of the few top UNC prospects who was actually eligible to play this season.

48. Oakland Raiders - Mason Foster/OLB Washington: A very sensible first selection as the team did last year with Rolando McClain. Foster will give the team a complete trio of linebackers with Kamerion Wimbley being the other. Foster is ultra-experienced and productive, playing every linebacker position throughout his career.

49. Jacksonville Jaguars - Ras I-Dowling/CB Virginia: Without a doubt, Jacksonville needs help in the secondary. Rashean Mathis is the only viable option the team has and was apart of a secondary that allwed 250 yards through the air per game and only picked off 13 passes. Dowling's senior year was marred with injuries and he's been partially forgotten about due to a strong cornerback class but a talented player in his own right.

50. San Diego Chargers - DeAndre McDaniel/FS Clemson: This pick will depend heavily on the future of Eric Weddle with the team. There is a possibility he will return but as of the moment, he's likely to leave. McDaniel has a nose for the ball, picking off twelve passes in his final two seasons at Clemson.

51. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Jeron Johnson/SS Bosie St: Tough selection to make, didn't see much on the board I liked. The Bucs' safety depth chart was in constant flux last season because of injuries and Tanard Jackson's suspension. Johnson is a hard-hitter who enjoyed a successful career for the Broncos.

52. New York Giants - Stefen Wisniewski/C Penn St: For the longest time, the Giants offensive line was a rock of continuity. That's not the case anymore as injuries and age have started to catch up. Wisniewski can play anywhere along the interior. He isn't flashy but plays with a strong base and has quality bloodlines.

53. Indianapolis Colts - Drake Nevis/DT LSU: Nevis fits the undersized defensive lineman mold the Colts have well. He isn't going to offer a lot of support against the run, but has a good first step and extremely quick hands. Nevis is the best option for a team that doesn't have a lot of needs and already adressed its biggest in round one.

54. Philadelphia Eagles - Rashad Carmichael/CB Virginia Tech: Dimitri Patterson started the season well but finished with a couple of ugly games. The team lacks a number two corner to play opposite of Asante Samuel. Carmichael's ball-hawking ability will fit in well in the Eagles aggressive scheme as he picked off ten passes his last two years.

55. Kansas City Chiefs - Jabaal Sheard/OLB Pittsburgh: Tamba Hali had a monster season, notching fifteen sacks, and is one of the most underrated players in the game. Teams are going to be more and more focused on him meaning he needs someone opposite of him. Andy Studebaker has exceeded expectations but isn't a solid long-term option as a full-time starter. Sheard is flying under the radar in a deep defensive line class.

56. New Orleans Saints - Jonathan Baldwin/WR Pittsburgh: A bit of an unconventional pick as two Panthers are selected in the last two picks. New Orleans doesn't have many needs and can afford to go BPA. There are some who think Baldwin could go in the first round. Outside of Colston, the team has usually relied on smaller, quicker players but a talent like Baldwin is tough to pass up. Having him and Colston on the outside will give defenses nightmares. Calming influences in the locker room from players like Drew Brees will help quell any concerns of Baldwin being a "diva".

57. Seattle Seahawks - Allen Bailey/DE Miami (FL): Bailey is a decent risk/reward pick in the back end of the second. He's an athletic freak who shouldn't move as well as he does for a 280 pound body. However, he needs to work on a repertoire and is way too weak against the run for his size. Seattle doesn't have a lot at defensive end. Its interior is strong but its ends need improvement. Bailey could also kick inside on passing situations.

58. Baltimore Ravens - Davon House/CB New Mexico St: House played in a "weaker" conference but had a lot of success in the WAC. Although it happened on his Pro Day where times are faster, he ran in the low 4.3s. LaDarius Webb is a good number one corner and the group as a whole isn't bad but could be improved.

59. Atlanta Falcons - Kyle Rudolph/TE Notre Dame: The first tight end off the board in a weak class. Tony Gonzalez is still playing at a higher level than most at his position, but he is slowing down and will continue to do so. Without many pressing needs, the team can find his replacement. Rudolph is coming off a serious injury but so did Rob Gronkowski last year. Worked out well for New England.

60. New England Patriots - Orlando Franklin/OT Miami (FL): The Pats select its second player from the "U". Franklin is a big body who moves well for his size; he isn't your typical lineman built like a house who can't move. Franklin has also gotten extensive playing time at left tackle and left guard. Matt Light is into his 30s and Logan Mankins' future is up in the air. If Franklin can become more consistent, the Pats will get their money's worth.

61. San Diego Chargers - Randall Cobb/WR Kentucky: Cobb is a little lower than where he's projected to go but he makes a lot of sense for the Chargers. San Diego has height, not speed, at WR. Cobb will change that as a man that is quicker than his timed speed. He's also extremely versatile, running, throwing, and catching, and can work in the return game to replace a Darren Sproles, who may leave the team.

62. Chicago Bears - Clint Boling/OG Georgia: The Bears' line is still a mess. J'Marcus Webb has been a pleasant surprise and Olin Kruetz is still the main cog but it's a group that needs upgrading. Boling doesn't do anything overly spectacular but works well in a phone booth and is very versatile, something teams value highly. Boling has gotten a lot of work in at both tackle spots and right guard, his likely position in the pros.

63. Pittsburgh Steelers - Curtis Brown/CB Texas: The team isn't keen on the idea of taking a CB in the first; rather, taking this approach and waiting to get a cornerback. Brown is said to be willing to play the run, have quick feet, and comes from a good school against tough competition. Ike Taylor's contract is up and he may leave, leaving a void for the #1 CB position.

64. Green Bay Packers - Jerrel Jernigan/WR Troy: Jernigan will carve out a niche right away in the Packers' empty sets where he'll be able to roam underneath. A bit like Santonio Holmes as a player, Jernigan isn't big or physical but can turn a five yard curl into a fifty yard score. As Donald Driver ages and James Jones struggles with drops, the Packers replenish at the receiver position for a high-flying offense.

Chidi29
04-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Round Three

65. Carolina Panthers - Titus Young/WR Bosie St: Round three kicks off with the Panthers making their second selection of the draft. Carolina tries to find a Steve Smith clone. Young is lanky but one of the fastest receivers in this year's draft and has drawn comparisons to Desean Jackson. The team has little else to offer at WR.

66. Cincinnati Bengals - Marvin Austin/DT North Carolina: The team needs to upgrade a pass rush that was near the bottom in sacks. They do have young, talented options at defensive end in Carlos Dunlap and Micheal Johnson making defensive end less of a need, especially considering Antwan Odom's return. The team doesn't have much on the interior outside of Peko. Austin didn't play last season due to suspension but kick started his stock with solid performances in all-star games. He showed the football world why he was considered one of the top prospects before his suspension. Plus, the Bengals are unlikely to care too closely about any character concerns.

67. Denver Broncos - Lance Kendricks/TE Wisconsin: Not crazy about this pick because John Fox rarely used a tight end as an offensive weapon in Carolina but there is a need at the position. I've never personally watched him but in a run-heavy scheme, you have to assume he's been asked to do a lot of run blocking.

68. Buffalo Bills - Dontay Moch/OLB Nevada: The Bills get a boost in their pass rush. Aaron Maybin has been a complete bust and the team lacks players that can rush with their hand up. Moch is one of the most productive players in this year's draft, racking up close to 60 TFL and 30 sacks in his career. He is very inconsistent against the run however and will have to play weakside rush linebacker who can put his hand on the ground in passing situations.

69. Arizona Cardinals - Pat Devlin/QB Delaware: Clearly, Arizona is lacking a long-term option at QB. Devlin had a poor Pro Day that hurt him but my biggest questions remain with his ability to throw the ball downfield. He is a smart QB who reads the whole field but wasn't asked to throw further than ten yards on a consistent basis. Arizona can bridge him with a veteran stop-gap such as Marc Bulger.

70. Cleveland Browns - Johnny Patrick/CB Louisville: It once appeared that the Browns would have three strong options at CB. Eric Wright's play nose-dived and he was released by the team. Sheldon Brown had only two interceptions. Joe Haden did play very well but the team needs more than that. Patrick has fluid hips, and is a hard-hitter who is willing to play the run. That'll come in handy playing against teams like Baltimore and Pittsburgh.

71. Dallas Cowboys - Aaron Williams/FS Texas: A good value pick and a position of need. The team has already grabbed a corner but safety is just as important of a need. Williams is a tweener who isn't fast enough to play cornerback but is coming out of a solid school that boasts multiple top prospects in this year's draft.

72. New Orleans Saints - Mark Herzlich/OLB Boston College: Herzlich will be one of the most talked about draft stories after the first round passes. His story is well-known at this point. He fought and beat cancer in his leg, returning to play for BC last year. He'll have to show he can return to the level of play he was at before the disease but it's a good pick for a team that isn't very strong at outside linebacker.

73. Houston Texans - Kenrick Ellis/NT Hampton: Unlike most teams making the switch to a 3-4, Houston has its defensive ends on the roster. Antonio Smith and Mario Williams. However, they're sorely lacking at nose tackle. Ellis dominated at the FCS level. He's rising up draft boards with his monster size and elite motor; this was best shown in a game against South Carolina State in which Ellis made a tackle fifteen yards down the left sideline.

74. New England Patriots - Ryan Williams/RB Virginia Tech: Having all those draft picks sure pay off. Williams is great value in the third. New England has gone with a committee in recent years but getting a back like Williams isn't going to hurt. Williams was bothered by a hamstring injury that hurt his stock but is a talented runner that runs well and is built low to the ground.

75. Detroit Lions - Shane Vereen/RB California: Kevin Smith's injuries have sapped his effectiveness and while Jahvid Best is talented, has dealt with injuries dating back to his time at Cal. Maurice Morris and Aaron Brown aren't viable fallback options. Vereen filled in nicely when Jahvid Best, drafted by the Lions last year, got hurt at Cal.

76. San Francisco 49ers - Chimdi Chekwa/CB Ohio St: The 49ers cornerback group is really hurting with Nate Clements never living up to his mega contract. He's 6'0 and ran a 4.4 in the forty and had a 10'6 in the broad jump.

77. Tennessee Titans - Kelvin Sheppard/OLB LSU: David Thornton's injury and Gerald McRath's suspension depleted the team's linebacking group last year. Will Witherspoon is into his 30s. Sheppard had a fantastic senior year, putting up over 110 tackles including 11 for a loss, and can replace Witherspoon at weakside linebacker.

78. St. Louis Rams - Christian Ballard/DT Iowa: Not a huge fan of Ballard but this idea makes sense. Ballard has a good first step for a player of his size and can play inside or out. But he will add help to a Rams' line that could use it.

79. Miami Dolphins - Jordan Cameron/TE USC: Like running back, tight end has barely been selected in the draft due to a weak class. The team lacks an athletic tight end or really any viable pass catcher in general. Cameron is raw but had a great Combine, running under 4.6 and sporting an impressive 37.5 inch vertical.

80. Jacksonville Jaguars - Jaiquawn Jarrett/SS Temple: The team again shores up its secondary, this time focusing on its safeties. Jarrett has a nice blend of playmaking and hard-hitting even if he weighed in a lot smaller than listed.

81. Oakland Raiders - Will Rackley/OG Lehigh: Robert Gallery's high asking price will lead him to the free agent market, creating a void at left guard. Rackley is from a small school playing against lower competition but looked great when I watched him. He drives well with the lower half and is very smooth in getting to the second level.

82. San Diego Chargers - Pernell McPhee/DE Mississippi St: The Chargers' defensive line has been on the downswing after losing Igor Olhansky and nose tackle Jamal Williams. McPhee has the prototypical size to play the five technique, possessing the bulk and long arms to be an asset against the run.

83. New York Giants - Rob Housler/TE Florida Atlantic: Higher where most project him and I've never gotten to watch him play, but the measurables are certainly impressive. Housler is 250 pounds and ran the fastest forty at the Combine by a TE, a 4.55. He had a productive career, averaging over 15 yards a catch. Kevin Boss is a gritty, give-it-his-all type of player but isn't explosive by any means. The team will use more two tight end sets as Madison Hedgecock playing time decreases.

84. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Danny Watkins/OG Baylor: This is solid value for the Bucs in the middle to late portion of the third round. The team's interior line is a question mark, especially with Davin Joseph slated to hit free agency (though the team would like to keep him). Watkins doesn't have a huge ceiling either but is technically sound. The biggest issue with him is age; he is 26 and has relatively limited experience playing football. That's the reason for his drop.

85. Philadelphia Eagles - Colin McCarthy/OLB Miami (FL): McCarthy's athletic ability will come in handy for a team whose linebacking unit has been up and down the past two years. He'll fill in at weakside linebacker to go along with thumper Jamar Chaney and Stewart Bradley.

86. Kansas City Chiefs - Edmond Gates/WR Abilene Christian: The team did draft the speedy Dexter McCluster last year but he is a tweener. Gates if a full-fledged WR. And like McCluster, he's very fast. Abilene Christian has had a couple of solid players come out of its school in the past few years. Johnny Knox and Bernard Scott have had success at the pro level.

87. Indianapolis Colts - Daniel Thomas/RB Kansas St: Taking a running back in the first round has not worked out for the Colts. Neither Joseph Addai or Donald Brown have offered the return the team would have liked to have. Thomas is a bigger back who can handle the rigors of the NFL though he is currently dealing with a hamstring injury.

88. New Orleans Saints - Jurrell Casey/DT USC: Now having two defensive tackles from Southern Cal, Sedrick Ellis being the other, the Saints continue to upgrade their defensive line after drafting Justin Houston and signing Shaun Rogers. Casey is short but explosive and uses his height to win the leverage battle.

89. San Diego Chargers - Quan Sturdivant/ILB North Carolina: Running out of ideas for the Chargers. The team could use a little help inside after Donald Butler didn't play much last year due to injury. It can never hurt to get another athletic guy to throw out on special teams to run down punts and kicks either.

90. Baltimore Ravens - Jason Pinkston/OT Pittsburgh: Jared Gaither dealt with injuries and seemed to draw the ire of coach John Harbaugh for taking too long to get back on the field. His time with the team may be limited. Drafting Pinkston would allow the team to move Micheal Oher to right tackle where he played his rookie year.

91. Atlanta Falcons - Ugo Chinesa/DE Oklahoma St: Chinesa isn't getting a lot of fanfare despite being one of the best players from a pure pass-rushing standpoint. He has active hands with a variety of pass rushing moves and a great first step. Jamaal Anderson has been a bust and John Abraham is becoming more and more of a situational pass rusher.

92. New England Patriots - Greg Jones/ILB Michigan St: The Pats have shored up nearly all of their needs and we're only into the third round. Jones is undersized and a limited athlete but that didn't stop the team from taking Brandon Spikes despite running over five seconds in his 40 last season. Jones can be a scrappy leader who can start by becoming an asset on special teams.

93. Chicago Bears - Curtis Marsh/CB Utah St: At one point just a few short years ago, the Bears had a formidable secondary. Its since fallen apart. Marsh, a former running back, runs well and has good size. It's worth noting the team took Henry Melton, who began his career as a running back at Texas, in the fourth round just two years ago.

94. New York Jets - Chris Carter/OLB Fresno St: Carter's excellent combine numbers have shot up his stock. He ran in the low 4.6's, posted a 36 inch vertical, and a 6.88 in the three cone drill. All were some of the best numbers for his position. The Jets are sorely missing pass rushers. Rex Ryan's exotic schemes can help mask that but the team needs a pass rusher who can take over a game.

95. Pittsburgh Steelers - Joseph Barksdale/OT LSU: The team continues to upgrade its offensive line, its second lineman in three picks. Barksdale is a big body with long arms who is pretty technically sound for a man of his size. Willie Colon may not be back and his recovery coming off of a torn Achilles is an unknown. Flozell Adams is 36.

96. Green Bay Packers - John Moffitt/OG Wisconsin: He's thought to be more of a power blocker but posted numbers at the Combine that would suggest he's a bit more athletic and would be a good fit in the Packers' zone blocking scheme. Moffit posted the best vertical and shuttle numbers of all guards. The Packers could use an upgrade inside after it boosted its tackles and the good health of Chad Clifton.

97. Carolina Panthers - Julius Thomas/TE Portland St: Ron Rivera was the defensive coordinator with San Diego but he undoubtedly saw the impact Antonio Gates had on the team. Thomas has followed a similar career path, playing basketball in college until his senior year. Thomas is obviously raw but has a lot of upside. Carolina will finally use its tight end for more than blocking.

Chidi29
04-16-2011, 08:52 PM
Round Four

98. Carolina Panthers - Shareece Wright/CB USC: Richard Marshall is slated to hit free agency, and the Panthers secondary will take a hit because of it. Wright has injury concerns but has upside while hailing from a good school that has produced players such as Terrell Thomas.

99. Seattle Seahawks - Brandon Burton/CB Utah: Seattle is long overdue in the draft for a cornerback as it continues to be the most popular position in the draft. Burton was a productive two year starter for the Utes. Seattle will have a young, talented secondary with Walter Thurmond, Earl Thomas, and Kam Chancellor.

100. Buffalo Bills - Akeem Dent/ILB Georgia: The Bills continue to add pieces to its 3-4. Dent posted the best vertical and broad jump for inside linebackers at the Combine and run a sub 4.7 at his Pro Day, drawing interest from several teams.

101. Cincinnati Bengals - Taiwan Jones/RB Eastern Washington: Cedric Benson took a big step back after a spectacular year two seasons ago. Bernard Scott has shown flashes of strong play but has yet to earn the full trust of the coaching staff. Jones was insanely productive at Eastern Washington and is a shifty runner. He must stay healthy however.

102. Cleveland Browns - Nate Irving/MLB Maryland: With the team switching to a 4-3, the Browns lack a middle linebacker. Irving is a hard-nosed thumper with a great story, recovering from a serious car accident. This could be a steal for Cleveland.

103. Arizona Cardinals - James Brewer/OT Indiana: Good value for Arizona. Ken Whisenhunt has been adamant in defending left tackle Levi Brown but it's obvious that he has struggled. Brandon Keith isn't a real strong option on the right side of the line either. Brewer is a big body with over 35 inch arms.

104. Philadelphia Eagles - Da'Rel Scott/RB Maryland: With their needs taken care of, Philly can afford to take a "luxury" pick. Scott didn't get my recognition until he blew up the Combine with a 4.34 forty. He does have injury concerns and reminds me a bit of Andre Brown. Which is not a good thing.

105. Houston Texans - Niles Paul/WR Wisconsin: Andre Johnson is everything you want in a wide receiver but the team lacks other options at WR. Kevin Walter's ceiling is limited and Jacoby Jones' has been frustratingly inconsistent. Paul plays faster than he's timed and put up low numbers not because of his inability to but because of the Badgers' run-minded offense.

106. Minnesota Vikings - Sione Fua/NT Stanford: The Williams' wall is finally being broken up. Pat Williams is a free agent and not expected to return. Kevin Williams doesn't plan on appealing the ongoing Starcaps case and could finally be suspended four games. Fua posses a surprisingly good first step for his size. Conditioning is an issue, however as he tends to wear down in games. Moving to a 4-3 instead of Stanford's odd front could help.

107. Detroit Lions - KJ Wright/OLB Mississippi St: The team is severely lacking at linebacker with Julian Peterson's departure and Zac Follet's neck injury. Wright can step in at strong-side linebacker, posessing good size and a well-rounded, productive career.

108. San Francisco 49ers - Tim Barnes/C Missouri: Just the second center taken so far. Eric Heitmann is 31 and coming off a neck injury that has reportedly "clouded" his status for the start of 2011. Barnes was snubbed at the Combine and has drawn high praises from people such as Wes Bunting.

109. Tennessee Titans - Marcus Gilchrist/SS Clemson: Chris Hope's level of play fell off last year. Gilchrist isn't a player that's too slow to move from corner to safety but he isn't a ballhawk and would be better suited as a safety.

110. Dallas Cowboys - Greg Little/WR North Carolina: Jerry Jones makes a little noise here. Miles Austin has emerged as a top WR and Dez Bryant was very productive before injury but the team lacks depth behind the two. Kevin Ogletree, once thought on the verge of a breakout, has not met expectations. Dallas will be taking another receiver who was suspended for an entire season after violating NCAA rules. Little does have a lot of upside however.

111. Miami Dolphins - Nathan Enderle/QB Idaho: My favorite player in the draft and a super sleeper who isn't getting nearly the credit he should. Chad Henne has not worked out for the Dolphins. Enderle has all the tools to become a star in the league. And unlike a lot of other quarterbacks, he's coming out of a pro offense where he took the majority of his snaps under center and had the freedom to call audibles at the line. Miami wins the lottery, they just don't know it yet.

112. St. Louis Rams - Deunta Williams/FS North Carolina: The team released OJ Atowge, deciding not to pay his large roster bonus. This leaves a vacancy at free safety. Williams is coming off a broken leg, suffered in December, that did a number on his stock but it's a good value pick in the middle of the fourth round. Williams had twelve career interceptions at UNC.

113. Oakland Raiders - Buster Skrine/CB Chattanooga: Skrine was a virtual unknown heading into the draft process. But good showings at the NFLPA game and the Combine, where he posted excellent straight line and agility numbers, made him relevant. Nnamdi Asomugha likely won't be back and Al Davis won't be able to pass up Skrine's blinding speed.

114. Jacksonville Jaguars - Kristofer O'Dowd/C USC: Jacksonville has down a good job of addressing its woes at tackle in the past few draft classes, selecting Eugene Monroe and Eben Britton. Now the team gets help on the interior. Brad Meester's performance fell off a cliff and he doesn't have much more in the tank. O'Dowd is a good run blocker who gets off the line quickly but has a laundry list of injuries. Health will determine the amount of success he sees at the next level.

115. San Francisco 49ers - Jerrell Powe/NT Ole Miss: It's been difficult for the team and current nose tackle Aubrayo Franklin to come to a long-term deal. The team has been forced to put the franchise tag on him and it's becoming costly. Powe has great the size you're looking for but will have to show he's smart enough to play at the next level.

116. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - DeMarco Murray/RB Oklahoma: The team hopes to strike gold for the second year in a row after picking up LeGarrette Blount as a UDFA last season. Blount is a tough runner but Murray is a solid complement. He has a ton of experience catching the ball out of the backfield and is a better blocker than where most young running backs will be at.

117. New York Giants - Cliff Matthews/DE South Carolina: For quite some time, the Giants have been a team will an array of pass rushers. They attempt to continue that trend in the mid-rounds, especially with questions about Mathias Kiwanuka's serious neck injury. Matthews stock has been going down but he still has upside.

118. Kansas City Chiefs - Jake Kirpatrick/C TCU: Kirpatrick has been overlooked by scouts after not even being invited to the Combine. Casey Weigmann may retire and even if he doesn't this year, his playing days are numbered. A replacement will be needed sooner or later.

119. Indianapolis Colts - Ross Homan/OLB Ohio St: Homan's lack of size, standing at just six feet, won't hurt him in Indy's Tampa 2. Homan is a good athlete and comes from a great school. He'll be looking to bolster a linebacking group that has been on the downswing since a couple years ago when the team had Gary Bracket and Cato June. Younger players such as Phillip Wheeler and Homan will be taking over in a few seasons.

120. Philadelphia Eagles - DeMarcus Love/OT Arkansas: Really a BPA pick here as the Eagles have already had a ton of picks and their needs filled. Love is athletic and has upside but his kickslide is too violent, leading him to get beat inside too often. Plus, he struggled against top competition.

121. Jacksonville Jaguars - Lee Smith/TE Marshall: Marcedes Lewis has become quite the weapon in the red zone. Jacksonville looks to complement him by bringing in a big-bodied blocker in Smith. Also an insurance policy if Lewis does not re-sign next year. The team did have to franchise tag him this year.

122. Buffalo Bills - Marcus Gilbert/OT Florida: The Bills' offensive line has slowly been improving but it still can't fight the injury bug. Gilbert has experience playing everywhere but center. Versatile lineman are very valuable, especially for a team dealing with injuries on a constant basis.

123. Baltimore Ravens - Kendall Hunter/RB Oklahoma St: Willis McGahee won't be with the team next year leaving Baltimore with a void at backup running back. Hunter, similar to Rice, is built low to the ground and is a natural catcher out of the backfield. Good value as well.

124. Atlanta Falcons - Denarius Moore/WR Tennessee: Roddy White is one of the most dominant receivers in the game but there isn't much opposite of him. Michael Jenkins is just a blocker and Harry Douglas' progress has been derailed by injuries, most notably a torn ACL two years ago. Moore has been making waves the past few weeks, picking up where his strong senior season left off. He showed the ability to stretch the field, averaging over 20 yards per catch last season for the Vols.

125. New England Patriots - Jason Kelce/C Cincinnati: Dan Koppen has played well but is into his 30s and entering the final year of his contract. New England would be wise to use a little foresight. Kelce showed himself to be one of the most athletic centers at the Combine, running a sub 5.0. He did that while fighting stomach pains that would late to be found out as a ruptured appendix. He certainly has the toughness needed to play on the offensive line.

126. New York Jets - Ian Williams/NT Notre Dame: Kris Jenkins was finally let go after tearing his ACL in each of the last two years. Sione Pua helped keep the Jets' run defense playing at a high level so NT isn't a dire need, but it's still smart to get a backup that can be groomed.

127. Chicago Bears - Adrian Moten/OLB Maryland: Brian Urlacher and Lance Briggs have been rocks at linebacker but the team is still lacking a strong option at strongside linebacker. Moten runs well and had a very productive senior season with the Terps.

128. Pittsburgh Steelers - Cedric Thornton/DE Southern Arkansas: A popular small-school sleeper who had a monster junior year two seasons ago, Thornton will add depth at defensive end. Aaron Smith is coming off another major injury, this time a torn tricep. His time with the Steelers seems to be numbered.

129. Green Bay Packers - Lawerence Guy/DE Arizona: Packers fans should be happy with this pick as Guy is good value late in the fourth round. He has a good blend of size and speed. Guy will kick out to the five technique to give depth at DE as Cullen Jenkins seems likely to leave and Johnny Jolly is unlikely to ever play football again.

130. Tennessee Titans - Martin Parker/DT Richmond: Tony Brown is a good defensive tackle but the Titans' pass rush from the interior isn't the same since Albert Haynesworth left. Tennessee is a team that likes to have a good rotation of defensive lineman. Parker had a very successful college career with nearly 50 TFL. He does always seem to be fighting minor injuries and will have to prove his durability over the course of a long NFL season.

131. Green Bay Packers - Roy Helu Jr./RB Nebraska: Running back isn't a big need for the Packers, especially with the emergence of James Starks, but you're always leery of a player like Ryan Grant coming off of a serious injury. Brandon Jackson won't be anything more than a third down back. I've never watched Helu up close but based on stats and measurables, it's surprising he isn't getting more attention in a weak class. He rushed for over 3400 career yards and ran a 4.42 forty at the Combine.

Chidi29
04-16-2011, 08:52 PM
Round Five

132. Carolina Panthers - Jacquizz Rodgers/RB Oregon St: Rivera gets his version of Darren Sproles. DeAngelo Williams may hit free agency and Jonatahn Stewart has been plagued by toe injuries. The team has good depth with Mike Goodson and Tyrell Sutton but Rodgers is much shiftier.

133. Buffalo Bills - Austin Pettis/WR Bosie St: Pettis is the second Bronco wide receiver to be selected. Lee Evans won't be a burner for too much longer as he continues to get older. Outside of Stevie "Why so serious?" Johnson, the Bills only have projects at WR in Donald Jones and Nathan Roosevelt. Pettis will be the possession receiver to complement the talented yet unreliable Johnson.

134. Cincinnati Bengals - Trevis Turner/OT Abilene Christian: Turner is a sleeper in my book. A huge body, weighing in at 6'7 340, who can give competition to the right side of the line. It's been a rotation between the Dennis Roland, Anthony Collins, and Andre Smith. Unlike Smith, I don't see any issues with Turner's work ethic. He participated in three All-Star games during the draft process. This included being named the Lineman of the Game in the Cactus Bowl, Division 2's All-Star game. For what it's worth, last year's recipient of the award was J'Marcus Webb who went on to start at right tackle for the Bears.

135. Kansas City Chiefs - James Carpenter/OG Alabama: Carpenter could be a swingman, able to play on the right side with college experience at left tackle. Branden Albert has had his fair share of struggles at left tackle and Barry Richardson isn't the greatest option at RT. Brian Waters is near the end of his career as well.

136. Arizona Cardinals - Ryan Jones/CB NW Missouri St: The Cardinals don't have much at cornerback outside of Rodgers-Cromartie and it showed as Arizona ranked in the bottom third in pass defense last season. Jones had an extremely successful college career. 'Zona isn't afriad to take cornerbacks from smaller schools. In addition to Cromartie, Greg Toler hails from a small school, St. Paul's.

137. Cleveland Browns - Ricardo Lockette/WR Fort Valley St: Just your run of the mill football player who can run a 4.3 forty. Lockette isn't just a track star; he looks like a football player with good bulk. Obviously the jump in competition is a big hurdle and it remains to be seen how fast he is on the field, but the team sure could use speed at WR.

138. Houston Texans - Sam Acho/OLB Texas: The Texans continue to add more pieces to the team's new 3-4 defense. Acho is a definite tweener, having played defensive end at Texas, but will have to play outside linebacker to have a shot in the pros. It's worth noting he had a solid career at a great school.

139. Minnnesota Vikings - Luke Stocker/TE Tennessee: Visanthe Shiancoe proved his worth two years ago but took a step back last season with the rest of the Vikings' offense. Stocker is a big bodied tight end who brings a little bit of everything to the table.

140. Kansas City Chiefs - Mike Mohamed/ILB California: Gives the team extra help on special teams. Corey Mays isn't anything to write home about and Derrick Johnson has been in and out of Todd Haley's doghouse. Mohamed enjoyed a nice college career.

141. San Francisco 49ers - Quinton Carter/FS Oklahoma: No one can have enough help in the secondary in today's pass-happy league. Carter is insurance if the team is unable to re-sign hard-hitting safety Da'Shon Goldson. Carter may be able to play anywhere in the secondary.

142. Tennessee Titans - Cortez Allen/CB Citadel: Allen is an athletic, long-legged cornerback. Jason McCourty and Ryan Mouton stepped up their play last year but having enough depth to face a team like the Colts is crucial.

143. Dallas Cowboys - Jordan Todman/RB UConn: Marion Barber's knees have given out on him, there are still questions about Felix Jones' ability to shoulder the load, and Tashard Choice has made good friends with the bench. Maybe it's time to look in a new direction and the value Todman brings in the fifth is difficult to ignore.

144. Washington Redskins - Chris Neild/NT West Virginia: Dan Snyder has yet again depleted his team of draft picks. Neild is a reach in my mind but the team needs a nose tackle. Neild has a ton of raw upper body strength but is extremely unsound technically speaking. He doesn't drive with his lower half or stay square to the ball.

145. St. Louis Rams - Allen Bradford/RB USC: Not a need with Steven Jackson being the bell-cow but frankly, it's worth picking up a running back with only three taken so far in the draft. The team has been living dangerously by putting so much of the workload on Jackson with the likes of Kenneth Darby backing him up. I'm a big fan of Bradford, provided he can stay healthy. He hits the hole with conviction and runs with power with a strong lower body.

146. Miami Dolphins - Zach Hurd/OG UConn: A good value pick for the Dolphins as I have Hurd rated higher than where he is taken. He's got a huge frame and his quick first step is an asset on trap blocks. Hurd is similar to Pittsburgh Steelers guard Chris Kemoeatu. Miami could have a hole at guard if Richie Incognito has another meltdown.

147. Jacksonville Jaguars - Greg Salas/WR Hawaii: The team lacks a #1 WR, especially with Mike Sims-Walker hitting free agency. The team does have speed with Jarrett Dillard, Mike Thomas, and Jason Hill, but lacks a sure-handed receiver. Salas definitely fits that bill and is a hard-nosed player who will fight for every yard. Finding a position at the next level is a concern, however. He played exclusively in the slot and standing at 6'2, doesn't show a lot of separation ability for what the position requires in the NFL.

148. Oakland Raiders - Mark LeGree/FS Appalachian St: Michael Huff did not reach any sort of agreement before the CBA expired and there's a good chance he walks. LeGree was the definition of a playmaker in college, racking up an astounding 22 interceptions throughout his career. There's no question he's a ballhawk and a great fit for the free safety position.

149. Philadelphia Eagles - Stanley Havili/FB USC: The first fullback off the board at a position that is clearly on the endangered species list. The Eagles are one of the few teams to actively look for a FB, signing Leonard Weaver and bringing in Owen Schmitt, basically taking all ex-Seahawks, after Weaver suffered a horrific knee injury that he may never recover from. Havili is the most versatile fullback in the draft with 81 carries and 116 receptions in his career.

150. Minnesota Vikings - Tyler Sash/FS Iowa: Madieu Williams has proven to be a bust and while Leslie Frazier says he hasn't given up on him, I have. Sash has been coached well by Kirk Ferentz and was an interception machine two years ago, picking off six passes.

151. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Richard Sherman/CB Stanford: Aqib Talib yet again finds himself in legal troubles and though his legal outcome remains to be seen, the team can't be happy with these repeated incidents. Sherman has gained steam since the draft process has begun and the team isn't afraid to take tall cornerbacks, drafting the 6'3 Myron Lewis in the third round last year. Sherman is around the same height.

152. Indianapolis Colts - Tandon Doss/WR Indiana: Boils down to a value pick here as Doss will likely go higher than this. Never a bad idea to give Peyton Manning more weapons, especially considering the extensive concussion history of Austin Collie.

153. Phiadelphia Eagles - Kris Durham/WR Georgia: Durham is a really interesting prospect who has been on the rise. He is 6'5, runs in the low 4.4s, and averaged over 20 yards a catch his senior year. The Eagles have three receivers set in stone, Jackson, Maclin, and Avant, but adding a developmental prospect like Durham after taking care of all other needs isn't a bad idea.

154. Detroit Lions - Doug Hogue/OLB Syracuse: Lions grab another linebacker as it's no secret the Lions are looking to continue to build on defense. Especially with Jim Scwartz being a defensive-minded coach. Hogue was a bright spot on a sub-par Orange team.

155. Washington Redskins - Pierre Allen/DE Nebraska: Another piece for the team's second year in the 3-4. Too bad they only have had four picks thus far. Allen needs to add on some weight to play the five technique but has the build and long arms to make a smooth transition.

156. Seattle Seahawks - Lee Ziemba/OT Auburn: Good value pick for the team at a position of need. Russell Okung will hold down the left tackle spot but everywhere else on the line is suspect. Ziemba has intimidating size, standing in at 6'8, and tons of starting experience.

157. Seattle Seahawks - Jarvis Jenkins/DT Clemson: Seattle again gets good value as Jenkins should probably be slotted a little higher after being overshadowed by DaQuan Bowers. Seattle likes to boast a healthy rotation along the defensive line.

158. Atlanta Falcons - Terrell McClain/DT USF: McClain has been climbing up draft boards after running a sub 5.0 forty at his Pro Day. Peria Jerry's career has gotten off to a bad start after tearing his ACL his rookie year. Atlanta could stand to add some depth at the position.

159. New England Patriots - Jalil Brown/CB Colorado: There are some that will think this is too low for Brown but I don't see what the hype is about. Despite playing opposite of Jimmy Brown, who rarely had passes thrown his way, Brown's senior year was just average. Five breakups and three interceptions. Brown can start his career on special teams with the Pats; every team could use a couple extra cornerbacks and virtually every other position has been selected for New England.

160. Chicago Bears - Chris Conte/S California: Conte is another player that has seen his stock rise. The Bears continue to add pieces to its depleted secondary. I didn't get a very good look at Conte but when I watched him in drills at the Combine, he looked stiff in the hips. Not sure exactly why some have projected him to be a third round pick. Late fifth makes more sense.

161. New York Jets - Steven Friday/OLB Virginia Tech: Nothing wrong with taking another pass rusher. Especially when the cupboard is as bare as it is for the Jets. Friday was a Combine snub who had a solid senior season, piling up 15 TFL and 8.5 sacks.

162. Pittsburgh Steelers - Terrence Toliver/WR LSU: Mike Wallace is quickly becoming a star and Emmanuel Sanders had a fantastic rookie year. However, Hines Ward is on the downside of his career and Antonio Brown is a bit overhyped. Toliver has good size and the ability to make people miss. He's also come up big in some of the Tigers' most important games.

163. Green Bay Packers - Casey Matthews/OLB Oregon: Frank Zombo was a gem last year but adding another outside linebacker can't hurt in Dom Capers' aggressive scheme. Matthews will get to play alongside big brother Clay Matthews.

164. Baltimore Ravens - Shiloh Keo/SS Idaho: A favorite of Mike Mayock. Keo is very limited athletically but has a toughness and "do everything" attitude that can't be measured. Dawan Landry is a free agent. At the very least, Keo is a guy you want on your special teams unit. He'll accept any job with pride.

165. Baltimore Ravens - Ben Lamaak/C Iowa St: Matt Birk is well into his 30s. Still a good center but his heir needs to be thought about. Lamaak is a durable player who has a ton of versatility. That is something teams tend to look for in the later rounds, versatile lineman.

Chidi29
04-16-2011, 08:53 PM
Round Six

166. Carolina Panthers - Greg Romeus/DE Pittsburgh: Carolina has a penchant for taking defensive ends whose stocks drop off. Greg Hardy and George Selvie are two examples and you can add Romeus to the list after suffering ACL and back injuries. Those of course raise major red flags but if he stays healthy, this pick will get a lot of return on it.

167. Cincinnati Bengals - Joe Lefeged/SS Rutgers: Roy Williams probably shouldn't even be on Cincy's roster anymore and the team has just marginal talented at the position, especially after Chinedum Ndukwe's injury last season. Lefeged is built to be an "in-the-box" safety.

168. Cleveland Browns - Ricky Stanzi/QB Iowa: President Mike Holmgren did remark during the offseason that the team would be drafting a quarterback at some point, despite their faith in Colt McCoy. There are mixed opinions on Stanzi that range from diamond in the rough, to a backup in the best case scenario. It is worth pointing out his strong improvement from junior to senior season. That is at least encouraging to see.

169. Buffalo Bills - DJ Williams/TE Arkansas: Williams is an athletic tight end who can make defenders miss in the open field in addition to being a high-character person but his size, or lack thereof, causes him to fall. He looks more like an H-Back at 6'2 and isn't a strong blocker. The Bills haven't had a viable weapon at tight end in a long time and don't seem all that interested in finding one. But with a pass offense that is merely average, you have to look at changes in mindset.

170. Cleveland Browns - Jah Reid/OT UCF: Tony Pashos and John St. Clair aren't going to cut it at right tackle. Reid isn't a clear-cut solution either but will bring in competition. He's a big body and a good power blocker. It's too bad his upside seems limited as he still looks technically unsound despite a lot of starting experience. The coaching staff will have their work cut out for them.

171. Arizona Cardinals - Alex Wujack/ILB Maryland: The other linebacker from Maryland entering the NFL along with previously selected Nate Irving. Wujack was a tackle machine, recording nearly 400 tackles in three years. Arizona is still looking for help at inside linebacker after losing Karlos Dansby last offseason.

172. Minnesota Vikings - Korey Lindsey-Woods/CB Southern Ilinois: Antonie Winfield is reaching the end of his career, especially with the knee injuries he's suffered. The Vikings secondary isn't very strong on paper. Woods has fourteen interceptions in his career. As a team, the Vikings had just fifteen last year.

173. Seattle Seahawks - David Arkin/OG Missouri St: Always a good idea to grab versatile lineman at the back end of the draft. Arkin spent most of his time at right guard but has game experience at left tackle, showcasing versatility and athletic ability.

174. San Francisco 49ers - Cecil Shorts/WR Mount Union: Run on small school kids. Little low for Shorts but despite Pierre Garcon's success, you still have to question how a guy will be able to transition from division three. San Fran doesn't have many strong options at WR besides Crabtree. Josh Morgan has yet to be able to put it together.

175. Tennessee Titans - Charlie Gantt/TE Michigan St: For a run-oriented team, adding a blocking specialist is the smart move. Jared Cook is extremely athletic but isn't going to offer a whole lot as a blocker. Gantt is a good complement.

176. Dallas Cowboys - DeQuin Evans/OLB Kentucky: Evans is an interesting, low risk, high reward pick. He emerged with the Wildcats his junior year after transferring from a JUCO but injuries held him back last season. He's raw but offers a good deal of upside and adds depth behind Ware and Spencer.

177. Washington Redskins - Jamal Lewis/OG Hampton: The tackles for Washington are fairly set with Trent Williams and Jammal Brown. But the interior is a mess, best exemplified when the team brought in and started bust Mike Williams at right guard. Lewis is getting next to zero notice but is a mauler with a lot of experience who played in the FBS for three years before transferring to Hampton.

178. Houston Texans - DeMarcus Van Dyke/CB Miami (FL): Additional help in the secondary for Houston. The Hurricanes have an excellent track record of producing top-flight defensive backs, from early picks like the late Sean Taylor to late round to late round gems like Sam Shields. Dyke ran one of the fastest 40s at Indy.

179. Miami Dolphins - Aldrick Robinson/WR SMU: Robinson can be the injection of speed the team needs as he has the ability to win any one-on-one matchup. While Emmanuel Sanders had success right away coming out of June Jones' offense, Robinson may take more time to develop. He ran virtually nothing but streaks and posts at the "X" receiver position.

180. Baltimore Ravens - Mike Blanc/DE Auburn: It's smart to get a player who is scheme versatile in the Ravens' hybrid defense. Blanc can kick inside when the Ravens use a 4-3 and bump over to the five technique when the team employs odd fronts.

181. Oakland Raiders - Virgil Green/TE Nevada: Green turned heads at the Combine with a 41 inch vertical. He moves extremely well but isn't well-rounded as he definitely needs to become a better blocker. Zach Miller is a very underrated tight end but there isn't much behind him. With teams getting away from using the fullback, teams have begun to take more tight ends.

182. Jacksonville Jaguars - Chykie Brown/CB Texas: The team continues to replenish its secondary. Brown dealt with injuries and had an unspectacular senior season but is the best option on the board at corner at this point late in the draft. He can help out on special teams his rookie year.

183. San Diego Chargers - Derrick Locke/RB Kentucky: Excellent value on Locke as the running back position has reached an all-time low in value. Locke is similar to Darren Sproles in a size/speed look and also has a lot of experience catching passes. Health is a huge concern for him however; his small build has already racked up numerous injuries.

184. Arizona Cardinals - Schuylar Oordt/TE Northern Iowa: Oordt is raw but has good size and showed his playmaking skills in college. He doesn't fit the traditional mold of what the Cardinals are looking for, a strong blocker, but with the team's abysmal quarterback situation, they need as many weapons as possible.

185. New York Giants - Chris Hairston/OT Clemson: Kareem McKenzie started to fall apart last season as he was plagued by the injury bug and is now 31 years old. William Beatty is much more finesse than a player like Hairston, who stands in at an intimidating 6'6 326.

186. Denver Broncos - Justin Rogers/CB Richmond: This is a little low for a player I like more than where I've selected him. Rogers is going to struggle playing the run and press coverage but is quite an athlete with good ballskills. The team did re-sign Champ Bailey, however, making cornerback less of a need.

187. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - David Carter/DT UCLA: Carter has been getting love from draft analysts like Wes Bunting with strong showings in post-season workouts. The Bucs drafted Gerald McCoy and Brain Price last season but it can't hurt to have a solid rotation along the defensive line that gives you a lot of options.

188. Indianpolis Colts - Brandon Fusco/C Slippery Rock: One of the most successful D-II offensive lineman in history, Fusco will be the eventual replacement to Jeff Saturday. Fusco was named the top lineman in D-II last season and is the first player from Slippery Rock to be selected to the Senior Bowl. However, Fusco is a bit stiff and not quite the athlete you'd like to see.

189. Denver Broncos - Kyle Hix/OT Texas: It does not sound like Ryan Harris will be returning to the team after his injury woes. That won't be an issue for Hix as he started 39 games in his career with the Longhorns. Hix also has extensive playing time at both tackle spots and posted quality agility numbers at the Combine. This could be a steal.

190. San Francisco 49ers - Lazarius Levingston/DE LSU: Didn't do anything eye-popping at LSU but played against quality competition and fits the bill as a prototypical five technique. Adds depth behind Justin Smith and Isaac Spooaga.

191. Baltimore Ravens - Jeff Van Camp/QB Florida Atlantic: Not a big fan of taking QBs in the late rounds but there are instances where it's worth taking a flier on an interesting developmental prospect. Camp is one of those guys, with great size and a very strong arm. Marc Bulger will probably look for a starting opportunity elsewhere; he's been linked to Arizona.

192. Atlanta Falcons - Anthony Gaitor/CB Florida International: Brent Grimes' strong play along with the team bringing in Dunta Robinson helped to quell the concerns about a shaky secondary. But as it has been said countless times throughout, you can never have enough cornerbacks. Gaitor is an impressive three time first-team Sun Belt selection.

193. New England Patriots - Davonte Shannon/S Buffalo: Shannon isn't the biggest or fastest safety but flat out produces. He is one of only a few MAC players to be selected to the conference's first team in all four years. He finished his career with 361 tackles and 10 interceptions. Shannon seems to fit the mold of the type of player Bill Belichick is looking for. A no nonsense, hard-working person who produces.

194. New York Jets - DeJon Gomes/SS Nebraska: Eric Smith is only an average strong-safety. Gomes was a hybrid player with Nebraska, playing safety and linebacker, but has enough speed to play in the secondary at the next level.

195. Chicago Bears - Markus White/DE Florida St: Not many pass rushing defensive ends left in the draft. White was one of the few left, recording 12 TFL and eight sacks his senior season. White will get the opportunity to play opposite of Julius Peppers.

196. Pittsburgh Steelers - Alex Green/RB Hawaii: Green has been Hawaii's first productive runner in quite some time, hitting the 1,000 yard mark last year. He has some experience catching the ball out of the backfield and was definitely used in pass protection in the Warriors' pass-first offense. With Mewelde Moore slated to hit free agency, Green is a viable replacement.

197. Green Bay Packers - Elijah Joseph/ILB Temple: Nick Barnett is likely to be released because of his cap number. The team still has a strong inside linebacker core in Hawk and Bishop however. Joseph showed his strength in pass coverage by breaking up six passes his senior year. A knee injury has hampered his ability to work out for teams and pushed him down boards.

198. New York Giants - Delone Carter/RB Syracuse: Brandon Jacobs' knees seem to be giving out on him, the worst thing that can happen to a power back or in general, any running back. I've always been weary of Ahmad Bradshaw's foot injuries. Carter put up good numbers for the Orange but does bring a little bit of baggage in terms of character concerns.

199. Kansas City Chiefs - Kyle Adams/TE Purdue: Far from the most athletic tight end left in the draft he is a strong and willing blocker. Adams received accolades for his intensity and tenacity, showing his willingness to do the "ugly" aspects of playing tight end. He'll compliment rookie sensation Tony Moeaki well.

200. Minnesota Vikings - Andre Holmes/WR Hillsdale: The team looks to replace Sidney Rice, likely to hit the open market. Holmes is a big body that runs a good 40 for his size who had spectacular junior and senior seasons. There are plenty of small-school receivers to like in this draft.

201. San Diego Chargers - David Mims/OT Virginia Union: Right tackle has been in a bit of flux for the Chargers. They do want to re-sign Jeremy Clary but having a backup option isn't a bad idea. Mims is a mammoth at 6'8 335.

202. New York Giants - Karl Klug/DT Iowa: Barry Coefield has reportedly asked the Giants for a trade. Klug got lost in the shuffle at Iowa behind Clayborn and Ballard but is a decent pass rusher in his own right, possessing a good swim move.

203. Carolina Panthers - Jarriel King/OT South Carolina: The Panthers' offensive line was one of its strong suits coming into the draft but it doesn't hurt to bring in another tackle especially after Jeff Otah missed all of last season. King is one of the bigger tackles in the draft with long arms.

Chidi29
04-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Round Seven

204. Green Bay Packers - Matt Murphy/OT UNLV: Murphy has been popular recently, visiting with multiple teams. He's athletic with a ton of starting experience. Green Bay's tackles held up this year and Bryan Bulaga played well as a rookie but Clifton and Tauscher won't be around forever.

205. Detroit Lions - Byron Maxwell/CB Clemson: Lions get another big, physical cornerback. Maxwell has good size with long arms and should do a good job playing press coverage in Gunther Cunningham's aggressive man defense.

206. Buffalo Bills - Stephen Schilling/OG Michigan: Another addition to the offensive line. Schilling doesn't do anything special but doesn't have any glaring flaws either. He is very versatile, getting lots of playing time at right tackle and left guard in his career with the Wolverines.

207. Cincinnati Bengals - Josh Gatlin/CB North Dakota St: Wouldn't be surprising to see the Bengals take a cornerback earlier in the draft depending on what the team anticipates happening with Jonathan Joseph. Gatlin only had one productive year at a small school but the triangle numbers are intriguing.

208. New York Jets - Frank Kearse/DE Alabama A&M: Real sleeper potential here. Kearse is a hard worker who originally came to the school as an offensive lineman, had to learn how to play on the other side of the line, and excelled his senior year. He worked hard in the classroom, too. He'd be a welcomed addition to Rex Ryan's defense. Shaun Ellis is well into his 30s and set to be a free agent.

209. Seattle Seahawks - Vincent Brown/WR San Diego St: Seattle takes the sure-handed Brown for its West Coast where you don't have to be blazing fast. Good value getting Brown this late; poor 40 times pushed his stock down.

210. Atlanta Falcons - Dion Lewis/RB Pittsburgh: Jason Snelling is a good backup and more than capable for filling and spelling Turner but the tea could use a shiftier runner after Jerious Norwood's countless injuries. Lewis left school early, after the turmoil in the Panthers' coaching search, on a down note after a fantastic freshman year. He also ran poorly at the Combine which did a number on his stock.

211. San Francisco 49ers - Antareis Bryan/CB Baylor: San Fran gets another cornerback. Bryan hasn't had much of an impact on the field due to injuries his junior and senior seasons but drummed up interest with a strong Pro Day.

212. Tennessee Titans - Daryl Hicks/OG Delaware St: Jake Scott struggled a bit at guard last year. Hicks is getting virtually no recognition but held his own against Kenrick Ellis and is a good athlete. Could wind up being good value for the Titans.

213. Washington Redskins - Anthony Allen/RB Georgia Tech: Mike Shanahan gets his chance to find another gem as he's done with players like Terrell Davis and Mike Anderson. Allen is coming out of a triple option offense but is shifty and explosive. That's a great combination for Shanny's one-cut scheme.

214. Houston Texans - Chris Proniski/SS Wyoming: The fourth defensive back the team has taken. Perhaps a bit drastic but when your pass defense was as awful as it was last season, the move makes sense. Proniski was highly productive and great mesurables. Also has top notch closing speed.

215. Minnesota Vikings - Ryan Bartholomew/C Syracuse: John Sullivan severely struggled last year. The Vikings could very well take a center higher than this. The former Orange ran the second best forty time at the Combine.

216. St. Louis Rams - Colin Madison/OG Temple: The team is set at tackle with Saffold and Smith but could use an upgrade at guard. Madison has a pretty good burst off the line and is a solid power blocker. Worth taking a flier on.

217. Miami Dolphins - Anthony Gray/NT Southern Mississippi: There isn't a void at nose tackle at the moment but there could be. The team had to put the franchise tag Paul Solali after being unable to reach a long-term extension. If Gray can become consistent off the snap, he'll be an asset.

218. Miami Dolphins - Ricky Elmore/OLB Arizona: A depth pick behind breakout rush linebacker Cameron Wake and now second year player Koa Misi. Elmore had a productive career but is a tweener. Probably too small to play end but may not be fluid enough in the hips to play outside linebacker. Reason why he fell this far.

219. Oakland Raiders - Brandon Bair/DT Oregon: Bair adds depth to the Raiders' front four. The best thing about him is his explosiveness, crucial for any lineman who plans on being a menace to the QB. He is a bit tall at 6'6, however, and could struggle winning the leverage battle against shorter guards and centers.

220. Dallas Cowboys - Darian Hagan/CB California: I've only gotten to watch Hagan in limited capacity and while he's undersized, he's a hard-nosed player who is at least willing to play the run. I was a fan of Golden Bear Syd'Quan Thompson last year and he had a relatively good year in his rookie season for the Broncos.

221. New York Giants - Greg McElroy/QB Alabama: Giants don't have much in the form of a backup behind Eli Manning. McElroy is a smart quarterback who can read the whole field but doesn't offer any zip on his passes. The lack of interest in him was evident at his individual workout where only one team, Seattle, showed up to watch him.

222. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Dane Sanzenbacher/WR Ohio St: Mike Williams and Arrelious Benn can stretch the field and Sanzenbacher can work underneath. The Buckeye isn't flashy but always seemed to make the big catch on third down when the team needed him.

223. Kansas City Chiefs - Stephen Burton/WR West Texas A&M: Chiefs add another receiver as they look for someone to complement Bowe. Burton weighed in a lot smaller than listed but still has good size and a couple extremely productive years in college.

224. Washington Redskins - Julian Vandervelde/OG Iowa: High-character player who can play anywhere on the interior. You know he's been coached well by Kirk Ferentz. Vandervelde can replace the aging Casey Rabach down the road.

225. Baltimore Ravens - Chris White/MLB Mississippi St: Ray Lewis is still one of the best in the business but won't be around forever. White had a stellar season with the Bulldogs and can begin his career on the coverage unit.

226. New Orleans Saints - Mario Fannin/RB Auburn: The team gets a solid pass blocking back for its pass happy offense. Fannin wasn't asked to carry the ball much with the Tigers but his best football may be ahead of him. Fannin also had just under 100 catches in his career.

227. Philadelphia Eagles - Andrew McGee/CB Oklahoma St: Eagles add another cornerback who can help out on special teams. McGee showed good ball skills his senior year for the Cowboys recording five interceptions and breaking up six passes.

228. St. Louis Rams - Joe Morgan/WR Walsh: To their credit, the Rams' wide receiver corps has grown by leaps and bounds. Mark Clayton was Sam Bradford's favorite target before injury, Danny Amendola is a reliable option who can make the spectacular catch, and Danario Alexander was a good find. Walsh is an interesting speed/size prospect.

229. Atlanta Falcons - Derek Epperson/P Baylor: First punter off the board. Michael Konen is a free agent and Atlanta ranked near the bottom in average last season. Epperson put up a consistent average and, averaging about 44 yards a punt the past three years.

230. Atlanta Falcons - Darius Morris/OT Temple: Morris is a good power blocker who could play right guard or tackle. Dahl and Clabo were scheduled to be free agents though probably will re-sign with the team. Morris is just an insurance policy.

231. San Francisco 49ers - Bilal Powell/RB Louisville: Frank Gore is expected to be the bellcow but adding another back can't hurt, especially with Brian Westbrook likely done with the team. Powell had a great senior year but it doesn't bode well for a guy to do that well and still be thought of as only a late round pick.

232. Pittsburgh Steelers - Blaine Sumner/NT Colorado Mines: Sumner is immensely strong, holding the American record for raw squat at 805 pounds and lifting 1000 pounds on another occasion. He put up 52 reps of 225 at his Pro Day. Possible heir apparent to Casey Hampton.

233. Green Bay Packers - TJ Yates/QB North Carolina: Green Bay has had recent success taking a QB in the last round, Matt Flynn being that example, and will look to do so again. The team does plan on keeping him but it may only be a matter of time until someone puts in an offer for Flynn the team can't pass up. Didn't watch Yates but he had an impressive year considering how many players the Tar Heels lost.

234. San Diego Chargers - Allen Reisner/TE Iowa: Iowa tight end's always seem to find success or at the very least, get drafted. Tony Moaeki kept that trend up last season. Antonio Gates is a top tight end but the foot injuries are starting to become worrisome.

235. Miami Dolphins - Colin Jones/SS TCU: Jones gives the Dolphins extra help in the secondary. He didn't have an eye-popping college career but turned some heads with a listed 4.38 forty at over 200 pounds. Worth taking in the last round.

236. Minnesota Vikings - Jeff Maehl/WR Oregon: Maehl isn't a vertical receiver but is quick-twitch, putting up a strong showing in agility drills at the Combine, and can be an asset on underneath routes. The Vikings add another receiver as they look to replace Rice.

237. Philadelphia Eagles - Brennan Olander/DT Oregon St: If you're looking for a gritty defensive lineman, look no further than Olander. He's undersized and injury-prone but tough as nails. He played just three weeks after tearing a pectoral muscle to suit up against rival Oregon. The numbers aren't that bad either. Despite playing in three less games, he had more tackles for losses than fellow defensive tackle Stephen Paea.

238. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Rob Long/P Syracuse: Robert Malone didn't even average 40 yards a punt for the Bucs last year. Long has a ton of experience punting on a poor Orange team. He is partially remembered for having a benign tumor removed from his brain late last season.

239. San Francisco 49ers - Marc Schiechl/OLB Colorado Mines: Who would have guessed that two players from Colorado Mines would appear in this mock? He played at a tiny school but you can't help but do a double-take at the numbers he put up. He had an incredible 69 TFL and 44.5 sacks in his career and was named his conference's Defensive Player of the Year three times. He was also dominate in the Cactus Bowl, Division 2's All-Star game, coming home with Defensive MVP honors.

240. Phiadelphia Eagles - Zack Williams/C Washington St: Williams gives the Eagles an extra body on the interior with guard and center versatility. Jamaal Jackson has dealt with two major injuries in as many years.

241. Oakland Raiders - Michael Galatas/WR Millsaps: It wouldn't be a mock draft without the Raiders taking the fastest wide receiver they could find. Galatas ran a 4.39 at his Pro Day and is a three-time secial team player of the year in his conference.

242. Seattle Seahawks - Daniel Hardy/TE Idaho: John Carlson was asked to block more often than catch last season. Hardy has dealt with injuries but was one of the few threats the Vandals had last season. He has good hands and an asset down the seam.

243. New Orleans Saints - Ahmad Black/FS Florida: Black is the ballhawk Gregg Williams is looking for in his aggressive scheme, picking off 13 passes in his career. But he's small and has horrible timed speed, an ugly combination if you're looking to get drafted. Good value pick though and it could make teams kick themselves for passing on him.

244. Carolina Panthers - Ted Laurent/DT Ole Miss: Carolina adds another body to its defensive line. Laurent will try to latch on and help out one of the bottom third run defenses in the league last year, allowing about 124 yards per game.

245. Buffalo Bills - Travis Ford-Bey/OLB West Chester: Bey is a long shot but he could have a chance to stick in the NFL. Lack of size will be working against him, he's the definition of a tweener, but has a great first step and constantly forced opposing tackles to hold him. He also played defensive end in West Chester's odd front. He certainly won't do that in the NFL but he's learned the nuances of how to actively play the run.

246. Cincinnati Bengals - Lawerence Wilson/OLB UConn: Little low for Wilson in the late seventh. Mike Zimmmer chewed out Rey Maualuga earlier in the offseason for his poor play. At the very least, Wilson will become a strong backup.

247. Denver Broncos - Brian Lainhart/FS Kent St: Brian Dawkins probably only has another year or two left. Lainhart is the first Kent St player to be selected in the draft. His interceptions were down his senior year but finished his career with 17.

248. Cleveland Browns - Stephen Skelton/TE Fordham: Not a lot behind Ben Watson especially considering Evan Moore is a wide receiver just listed at tight end. Skelton is the brother of John Skelton, a popular sleeper in last year's draft who was selected by Arizona.

249. Arizona Cardinals - Courtney Smith/WR South Alabama: Good value on Smith. He was impressive at the Senior Bowl and possesses a large frame, standing in at 6'5 230. He averaged 17 yards per catch in his college career.

Chidi29
04-16-2011, 08:56 PM
Round Seven (cont.)

250. San Francisco 49ers - Willie Smith/OT East Carolina: Playing the value game here as Smith should've gone higher than this but didn't have a place. Smith didn't have the senior year some were expecting but still has upside and can become an asset with the right coaching.

251. Tennessee Titans - Ryan Winterswyk/DE Bosie St: Another potential rotational defensive end. Winterswyk wasn't able to pick up where his junior season left off and doesn't really do anything well in particular but isn't awful anywhere either.

252. Dallas Cowboys - Josh Davis/OG Georgia: Dallas grabs a mammoth-sized lineman with their last pick. Davis has 36 inch arms to go along with 11 inch hands. Those players aren't exactly a dime a dozen, especially players that have gone against quality competition like Davis.

253. Washington Redskins - Kai Forbath/K UCLA: The first kicker is finally selected with the next to last pick in the draft. Forbath has a monster leg, regularly hitting from 50 yards and beyond. Graham Gano was inconsistent last season and needs the competition.

254. Houston Texans - Scott Lutrus/ILB UConn: The draft's Mr. Irrelevant goes to Lutrus. Lutrus is an ultra-experienced linebacker, starting all four years and being a captain for two the last two. Unfortunately, injuries did a number on his production in recent seasons.

-------------

I also decided to include one UDFA for each team. There were a few players I left off that I really wanted to be able to talk about and I wanted to pick some "random" players just to broaden my knowledge about the draft field should one of those players enter the Steelers' camp.

1. Carolina Panthers - Kendric Burney/CB North Carolina: Mike Mayock may be a fan but I'm not. Burney is small, doesn't run well, and only had average production in school. That's why he fell out of the draft.

2. Denver Broncos - Charles Bay/DE Dartmouth: Having some fun with the UDFAs. Bay had a stellar career for the Big Green, including notching 11 TFL and 8 sacks despite being limited by injuries. He's also a high-character person and you can assume very intelligent.

3. Buffalo Bills - Lucas Patterson/DE Texas A&M: Patterson was on one of the few teams that used the 3-4 as its base package. You know he's learned how to play the run and can kick inside when the Bills use even fronts.

4. Cincinnati Bengals - Andrew Jackson/OG Fresno St: Sharing the name of a former President unfortunately is not enough to get you drafted. Jackson is undersized but fairly athletic and could be an asset for the Bengals' cutback runs where the whole line crashes down one way and the back cuts back the opposite direction.

5. Arizona Cardinals - Eugene Clifford/FS Tennessee St: Clifford had a solid senior season, picking off four passes and breaking up ten others. Kerry Rhodes has talent but is a headcase.

6. Cleveland Browns - Jabari Fletcher/DE Appalachian St: Fletcher, like Day, is another productive smaller school kid. He had 16 TFL and 9 sacks and has shown toughness, playing through injuries and still producing at a high level. Cleveland will need as many fresh faces for its 4-3 as possible.

7. San Francisco 49ers - Andre Smith/TE Virginia Tech: Don't know anything about him but you figure he's a good blocker playing on a team that ran the ball quite a bit. Smith certainly wasn't a threat to catch the ball, hauling in only 19 passes his senior year, so he had to be doing something right. Bear Pascoe was not the blocking tight end the team hoped he'd be.

8. Tennessee Titans - Henry Hynoski/FB Pittsburgh: Tennessee is one of the other few teams that regularly employs a fullback and if I remember correctly, is even starting to decrease the number of snaps Ahmad Hall gets. Hynoski is as physical as they come. Unfortunately, he was semi-forced to declare early with all the turmoil that occurred at Pitt.

9. Dallas Cowboys - Kelly Griffin/NT TCU: Really liked Griffin in the one game I got to watch of him before he fractured his ankle and missed the majority of his senior season. Wins the one-on-one battles and shows good conditioning.

10. Washington Redskins - Malcolm Jenkins/OLB Elizabeth City St: Mike Shanahan has talked about wanting to add a pass rusher opposite Orakpo. There's a good chance they could and should have taken one in the draft but it hurts not picking often until the later rounds when the talent pool has dried up. Jenkins obviously comes from an ultra-tiny school but put up ridiculous numbers. In his last two years, he had close to 40 TFL in addition to 22.5 sacks and 43 quarterback hurries.

11. Houston Texans - Dan Hutchins/P Pittsburgh: Houston was near the bottom in punting average last season. Hutchins can punt and kick.

12. Minnesota Vikings - Craig Marshall/DE USF: You could make a strong case for the Vikings take a DE in the draft. Unfortunately, the opportunity didn't come up with the way the board played out in my mock. Better late than never.

13. Detroit Lions - Dwayne Harris/WR East Carolina: Harris probably will get drafted though without me watching him and looking off numbers and build, he doesn't jump off the charts. The only receiver for the Lions who hasn't been disappointing is Megatron.

14. St. Louis Rams - Isa Abdul-Quddus/CB Fordham: The Rams are all for taking players with odd last names, taking Michael Hoomanawanui last year.

15. Miami Dolphins - Noel Devine/RB West Virginia: Would be a bit surprising if he wasn't drafted but when you're as small as he is, teams are going to be scared away.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars - Josh Bynes/OLB Auburn: Jags need help at linebacker. Bynes was productive against quality competition.

17. Oakland Raiders - Sampson Genus/C USF: Raiders had some moving pieces at center last year starting with Jared Veldheer and then Samson Satele.

18. San Diego Chargers - Troy Weatherhead/QB Hillsdale: Chargers don't have much behind Rivers. Billy Volek is way up there in age. Weatherhead had a great senior campaign, completing 78% of his passes.

19. New York Giants - Dom DeCicco/SS Pittsburgh: Fan of DeCicco. Numbers won't show it but he's always around the ball.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Weslye Saunders/TE South Carolina: His stock has plummeted due to a broken foot and character concerns. He almost wasn't eligible for the draft after his agent screwed up paperwork needed to enter. Still, the Bucs have been good about finding diamonds in the rough.

21. Kansas City Chiefs - Jeremy Beal/OLB Oklahoma: Another prospect whose stock has fallen due to a terrible combine. It's very possible he won't get picked this April.

22. Indianapolis Colts - Derrin Nettles/DT Morehouse: A sleeper in my book. Nettles blew up last year putting up 24.5 TFL, 9 sacks, and forcing 7 fumbles.

23. Philadelphia Eagles - Jeffery Anderson/TE UAB: Brent Celek isn't a terrible tight end but isn't going to wow you either. Cornelius Ingram has dealt with knee injuries. Clay Harbor is promising though. Anderson had a productive senior season.

24. New Orleans Saints - Alex Henry/K Nebraska: Garrett Heartly improved as the season went on but had a very shaky start. Good idea to bring in another kicker.

25. Seattle Seahawks - Evan Royster/RB Penn St: Aside from Lynch's run to seal the deal against the Saints, none of Seattle's backs have turned heads. Justin Forsett's small statue has made the coaching staff leery of giving him a heavier workload. Royster's stock fell off but he still had a nice career with the Nittany Lions.

26. Baltimore Ravens - Kealoha Pilares/WR Hawaii: Ravens add another receiver as they look for the next Davone Bess to come out of Hawaii.

27. Atlanta Falcons - Bubba Bartlett/FB Carroll (MT.): H-back type who led a very successful Carroll team to the championship his senior year.

28. New England Patriots - Dan Bailey/K Oklahoma St: Stephen Gostowski is a top kicker but is coming off a pretty serious injury. Bailey missed just four kicks in 31 attempts.

29. Chicago Bears - Andre Carroll/DT Delaware St: Carroll gets turned against the run but he is an interesting gap shooter with a good first step.

30. New York Jets - Owen Spencer/WR North Carolina St: Good size/speed/athletic ability player who had a fantastic junior year two seasons ago.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers - Jonathan Cornell/ILB Ole Miss: Cornell is a highly experienced player who played against quality competition. Keyaron Fox may not be back with the team after repeated mental lapses.

32. Green Bay Packers - Stevie Harden/CB Valdosta St: Another small school player but one who had an extremely productive senior season, picking off eight passes and having 16 breakups.

steelerfan
04-16-2011, 10:13 PM
First off let me say I appreciate your hard work on your draft. Howev er some of the things you posted are, well, just NUTS :crazy: With that said, let me respond.

1) Ben Ijalana....No chance. First off the kid, although pretty good is a mid-2nd rounder at best. And with his injury, and not being able to work out, it might drop him even further.

2) Curtis Brown: Again, no way. Or at least I HOPE not! I like Texas players. But Curtis is way too soft. A marginal tackler. And in reality, he's not all that faster then Aaron Williams. So how you can knock Williams for his lack of Athleticism, and prop Brown is a mystery to me.

3) Joseph Barksdale: Well SOME here will Love this pick. But me, well I think everyone knows my thoughts. But more Importantly, if we take Ijalana in round 1, why would we take Barksdale here ? No

4) Cedric Thornton: Not a chance in HELL! You think players like Ellis, and Powe have Character concerns, this kid makes those two look like,,,well...JESUS! No way do the steelers bring this kids act to the Burgh in ANY round.

5) Terrence Toliver: This one I actually would agree with if he is still there. I actually had him as my 4th rounder in my early picks.

6) Alex Green: No way. First Green won't last this long. And secondly, he's more of a every down back. And not really a 3rd down back IMHO

7) Blaine Sumner: Well, it will make LLT Happy! But I doubt it. In this draft you have us taking no D-Linemen. No PK and no TE's. Three of our biggest needs.

But as stated, I DO appreciate your hard work, and Insight.

Chidi29
04-16-2011, 10:58 PM
First off let me say I appreciate your hard work on your draft. Howev er some of the things you posted are, well, just NUTS :crazy: With that said, let me respond.

1) Ben Ijalana....No chance. First off the kid, although pretty good is a mid-2nd rounder at best. And with his injury, and not being able to work out, it might drop him even further.

2) Curtis Brown: Again, no way. Or at least I HOPE not! I like Texas players. But Curtis is way too soft. A marginal tackler. And in reality, he's not all that faster then Aaron Williams. So how you can knock Williams for his lack of Athleticism, and prop Brown is a mystery to me.

3) Joseph Barksdale: Well SOME here will Love this pick. But me, well I think everyone knows my thoughts. But more Importantly, if we take Ijalana in round 1, why would we take Barksdale here ? No

4) Cedric Thornton: Not a chance in HELL! You think players like Ellis, and Powe have Character concerns, this kid makes those two look like,,,well...JESUS! No way do the steelers bring this kids act to the Burgh in ANY round.

5) Terrence Toliver: This one I actually would agree with if he is still there. I actually had him as my 4th rounder in my early picks.

6) Alex Green: No way. First Green won't last this long. And secondly, he's more of a every down back. And not really a 3rd down back IMHO

7) Blaine Sumner: Well, it will make LLT Happy! But I doubt it. In this draft you have us taking no D-Linemen. No PK and no TE's. Three of our biggest needs.

But as stated, I DO appreciate your hard work, and Insight.

I think it says a lot about the guy's talent when it doesn't sound like the injury has affected his stock. Yeah, it hasn't helped him, but hasn't hurt him too much either.

I think he's well worth a first rounder and have seen sites rate him that highly. NFP, for instance. You know there's no chance he lasts to us in the second.

It seems like Williams is predicted to be more of a ballhawking corner than Brown. That's why I dropped him because he isn't going to be the player he is projected to be. Besides, the two players aren't that far apart. Williams is selcted less than ten spots after Brown. Again, just going off the scouting report of Brown, but it sounds like he has everything I'm looking for in a cornerback.

Ijalana would be a RG. Barksdale would a RT.

I'm actually more lenient on character concerns of college players than a lot of guys. While I never condone things like what has happened to Thornton, Ellis, Powe, whoever, I recognize that doesn't always paint the whole picture. A lot of these guys are young and dumb who don't have much guidance in college and make mistakes.

A lot of running backs will drop because teams are willing to pass on them and grab ones in the later rounds, trying to strike gold as a lot of teams have in recent years. Don't be surprised if there ends up being a big run in the later rounds at running back because there's a surplus.

I do have us taking defensive lineman. Two. Thornton and Sumner.

TE isn't a big need, especially if we re-sign Spaeth.

And I'm not a fan of drafting a kicker. Better to use that pick elsewhere and Suisham is a serviceable option.

Chidi29
04-16-2011, 11:01 PM
Here is a further breakdown of the Steelers' picks.

1. Ben Ijalana/OG Villanova:

First, let me post the scouting report I had on him. I feel I have a pretty good read on him, watching him three times.

The Good
- Above average size, looks the way he is listed
- Top-notch upper body strength
- Monster in the run game
- Great hand placement
- Drives with his legs
- Ability to stick on contact
- Good awareness
- Crazy amount of starting experience
The Bad
- Really sloppy kickslide, will force him inside
- Leads to getting beat around the edge
- Issues in engaging at the second level
- Position limited
- Lower level of competition
- Questions about his motor/interest level the first time I watched him
Other
- 52 career starts
- All at left tackle
- Two time 1st team All-CAA
Final Word
Mammoth in the run game but could take time to develop. Will have to change positions and doesn't have experience playing anywhere but left tackle. Could be a fast riser in the draft.
Games Watched
at Stephen F. Austin, at Appalchian St, at Eastern Washington

And here are the individual game reports on him.

Villanova vs Stephen F. Austin (12/4)

- Good size, uses it to engulf smaller lineman.
- Crashes down well, can create running lanes.
- Does show ability to mirror in pass protection.
- Foundation isn't sound off snap. Bad kickslide.
- Can get beat off the edge and ends up grabbing, making it look like what happens to James Harrison.
- Looks disinterested at times, and this was a playoff game before 'Nova went up big.
- Plain quit on some pass plays.
- Feet go dead.
- Gets by on raw talent at times.
- Can't engage at the second level.
- Needs to work in a phone booth.

Villanova vs Appalachian St (12/11)

- Much better game.
- Didn't take any plays off, feet were always moving.
- Monster in the run game. Opened up multiple running lanes, swallowing up lineman.
- Really good hand placement, in the chest and drives with his legs.
- Very strong; had LB run at him to snuff out a run and the LB was stopped cold on contact.
- Drive and down blocking were excellent.
- Kickslide is still sloppy, crosses feet off snap.
- Can still get beat, gave up a sack off the edge.
- But he has a better foundation and isn't overeager to seal the edge.

Villanova vs Eastern Washington (12/17)

- Mirrored well in pass protection.
- Continued to show upper body strength.
- Good leverage and sticks/drives on contact.
- Good awareness; shoved a LB off course at the 2nd level after seeing him knife thought to try and make a tackle on the back.
- Good foundation. Bends at the knees.
- Feet were moving, good leg drive.
- Kickslide still sloppy and can still get beat around the edge. '
- 52 career starts.

------------

One of my favorite plays of him is noted in the game against Appalachian St. The one where he stopped the linebacker dead in his tracks. The linebacker is of course smaller but had the benefit of a running start and Ijalana didn't budge.

Our right guard spot, where I would put him, is a power role. Having to double team on a play like 22 double, handle the nose tackle when the center chips at the goalline, or get to the second level and blow back the linebacker. Lots of different roles.

We haven't had a good right guard in years and it's about time we do. I'm tired of seeing Foster, Essex, or Legursky looking viable for only one game then falling apart once teams figure out how to attack them.

My decision came down to Ijalana and Rodney Hudson. Went back and forth on the picks. One of the biggest things that convinced me to go with Ijalana was the fact he went from someone I didn't like to someone I did. I didn't watch the first game, against Stephen F. Austin, and think, "Wow, this guy can play". I came away thinking he looked like Tarzan but played like Jane. He was too passive, seemed to take plays off, and wasn't dominant. You still hear reports of him being too much like a teddy bear today.

But when I continued to watch him, I saw him be a mauler and a guy that can be a force when you light a fire in his belly and he played that way in the next two games.

Don't underestimate the experience factor. Over 50 starts in his career. Not many guys have that on their resume.

I don't think he'll be able to stay at left tackle, his kickslide is sloppy in that he crosses his legs too often off the snap and loses balance so moving to guard is a must. But that of course eliminates the kickslide and allows him to be a power blocker.

2. Curtis Brown/CB Texas

I promise this one will be shorter. I've never gotten to watch Brown up close so I don't as good of a read on him. Here were some of the Pros I really liked according to one of my favorite analysts, Scott Wright of draftcountdown.com.

Displays fluid hips and nimble feet to transition
Is tough, physical, aggressive and very confident
A willing tackler who will support against the run
Will be able to contribute readily on special teams

The first three points is basically everything Dick LeBeau is looking for. And the last can get his foot in the door his rookie year. Playing special teams is something Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett could not or have not been able to do well.

Brown wasn't a ballhawk with only two career interceptions with the Longhorns but our system doesn't need him to be.

3. Joseph Barksdale/OT LSU:

My scouting report on him.

LSU vs Auburn (11/23)

- Tall frame who could add weight.
- Unlike most tall tackles, doesn't bend waist.
- Not the most agile but mirrors well and has a solid foundation.
- Ok, not great run blocker.
- Poor cut blocker.
- School has poor recent history of large lineman (Herman Johnson, Ciron Black).

LSU vs Arkansas (11/27)

(1 half)
- Not a great look.
- Gets arms extended.
- Pretty sound technically though bends waist at times.

LSU vs Texas A&M (1/7)
- Didn't mirror well.
- Didn't move that well off the snap, got beat off the edge.
- Is still technically sound, good foundation.
- Fine run blocker, uses size to seal down defenders.
- Struggled with cutblocking, however.
- Legs will sometimes quit.
- Fine hand placement.

For being a big body, Barksdale is pretty technically sound. Good waist-bender. He's a more athletic version of Flozell Adams. Great size who works really well in a phone booth. Gets his arms extended and able to drive.

For the longest time, I assumed we'd be able to re-sign Willie Colon getting him on the cheap coming off his injury. I'm less confident in that now, making right tackle much more of a need. Especially after Tomlin said he wouldn't rule out moving Colon inside to guard. That tells me Tomlin is leery of how Colon will be able to recover from his torn Achilles.

4. Terrence Toliver/WR LSU

Going back-to-back on the Tiger players. Big receiver at 6'3 212 with ten inch hands. Had to deal with the Tigers' inconsistent QB situation with Jarrett Lee and Robert Jefferson. That's why his numbers aren't that great. But he came up big when he had to. In his last two bowl games, he's recorded 11 receptions for 193 yards.

He's not so big that he can't lower his hips and get separation. While he can get vertical, he does a lot of damage underneath and gets YAC. Good video against Florida showing that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sIupvV4LHg

Plus, being that he's a big body, he can be helpful in blocking.

Emmanuel Sanders obviously showed a lot of promise last season but honestly, our receiver core isn't as good as some think. Mike Wallace is a budding star, yes, but Hines Ward will only be around so long, Antonio Brown is a bit overrated, Randle El didn't contribute much, and Limas Sweed is a question mark.

Getting a receiver isn't a bad idea.

5. Cedric Thornton/DE Southern Arkansas

Credit goes to LLT for introducing me to Thornton. Good size at 6'3 310 with long arms needed to play the five technique.

Thornton had a monster junior year with 23 TFL and 8.5 sacks. Didn't have as strong of a senior year but still had 13 TFL so you have to think he's strong against the run.

Aaron Smith succumbed to another major injury last year, a torn triceps. I thought last year he could be cut because of his age, injuries, and money owed. Those thoughts haven't gone away after another injury. If he were to get cut, there isn't much behind Hood and Keisel.

6. Alex Green/RB Hawaii:

In this day and age, it's never a bad idea to have enough good blocking backs. With as much as the Warriors' passed, Green has the experience doing so.

He's not just a 3rd down blocker either. He rushed for over 1000 yards his senior year and possesses good bulk. He's been considered a sleeper by a few outlets.

Mewelde Moore may hit free agency. Mendenhall and Redman are good blocking backs but adding another who has a good pair of hands to boot can't hurt.

7. Blaine Sumner/NT Colorado Mines

The guy is simply a monster. He holds the American squat record, has been able to lift 1000 pounds in another instance, and repped 225 fifty-two times at his Pro Day. His vertical would have been better than any DT at the Combine.

He commanded double and triple teams on tape and still held up against them, being able to stay square to the ball and not getting blown back. A high school linebacker, he's got a relatively good first step and has been used as a fullback in short-yard situations, showing that quick burst.

He's a hard-worker who doesn't quit on the play. He seeks contact, stating that aspect is his favorite part of the game. Also intelligent, he majored in petroleum engineering.

The competition jump is huge and that makes you question the tape a bit, I recognize that, but we have a guy that is super strong and works hard. Not bad for a seventh rounder.

If he passes a steroid test, and since he's competing nationally, I think he would, he's a low risk and high reward player.

steelerfan
04-16-2011, 11:19 PM
Again, I respect your thoughts, but your arguments are baseless if you defend a guy like Ijalana as a 1st round pick. But then drop the Baylor G to round 3. I mean you Quote guys like Scott Wright,,who is NO Draft scout. But using his opinion, do you think he has Watkins in the 3rd round ?

As for our DB needs vs our DL needs, how can you justify taking a DB like Brown, who is as far and away the type of secondary guy we need. And yet our DL which is super old, not selecting a single valued guy ? And NO, Blaine is NOT Value! He's a 1000-1 shot at being drafted. And even though you do select Thornton,,,more of a DE then a DT, but thats okay. His personal value not withstanding Character issues, he's a 6th rounder at best. And there are Character concerns, like drinking and driving, or missed classes. But this kid was arrested for possesion and intent to sell Herion. So as stated, Pittsburgh doesn't touch this kid...let the Jets select him.

And ask most steeler fans, and they will say Matt Speath is a total waste. And Miller is always good for a few missed games. We need a TE. And a ready to contribute TE at that.
Look, I guess we will all see in a couple of weeks what the steelers do. But me, I am leaning towards either a 1st round move up, or down depending on how the first 21 picks go. And if there is no DB they like at 31, then I can see a 5-Technique DE being selected like Muhammad Wilkerson. If he makes it to 31, which is no guarantee.

Chidi29
04-17-2011, 12:06 AM
Again, I respect your thoughts, but your arguments are baseless if you defend a guy like Ijalana as a 1st round pick. But then drop the Baylor G to round 3. I mean you Quote guys like Scott Wright,,who is NO Draft scout. But using his opinion, do you think he has Watkins in the 3rd round ?

As for our DB needs vs our DL needs, how can you justify taking a DB like Brown, who is as far and away the type of secondary guy we need. And yet our DL which is super old, not selecting a single valued guy ? And NO, Blaine is NOT Value! He's a 1000-1 shot at being drafted. And even though you do select Thornton,,,more of a DE then a DT, but thats okay. His personal value not withstanding Character issues, he's a 6th rounder at best. And there are Character concerns, like drinking and driving, or missed classes. But this kid was arrested for possesion and intent to sell Herion. So as stated, Pittsburgh doesn't touch this kid...let the Jets select him.

And ask most steeler fans, and they will say Matt Speath is a total waste. And Miller is always good for a few missed games. We need a TE. And a ready to contribute TE at that.
Look, I guess we will all see in a couple of weeks what the steelers do. But me, I am leaning towards either a 1st round move up, or down depending on how the first 21 picks go. And if there is no DB they like at 31, then I can see a 5-Technique DE being selected like Muhammad Wilkerson. If he makes it to 31, which is no guarantee.

I refer to other people's opinion when I don't have much of one on my own. I have my thoughts on Watkins and Ijalana. It's tough for me to watch cornerbacks because they often fall out of frame when watching them on TV. I kept a big concentration on the trenches this year and may expand next season, but I only watched two cornerbacks closely enough to take notes on them. That's why I went elsewhere when looking at a guy like Curtis Brown.

Brown is the guy we're looking for. How is he not?

I realize defensive line is a need but there weren't any options I liked. Look at how few DL are taken right after the Steelers make their picks throughout the draft. I have to deal with the board in this mock unlike the ones where you just pick one for the team each round, effectively getting the best guys who is slated to be taken around that area.

Ziggy Hood's progression is also encouraging. Already showing his strength against the run and what I really like most; just being out there for long periods of time. He's gotten thrown into the fire pretty quickly in his career, having to play 50+ snaps at points and help up really well. Takes a lot of endurance.

Can I get a link referring to Thornton's character issues?

Spaeth is a half decent run blocker. He does what we need him to do well. Come in for power sets and hold his block. If you want to get a TE, fine with me, but I won't lose sleep if we don't grab one.

7willBheaven
04-17-2011, 12:19 AM
Damn...haha. I dont think I'd have it in me to do a full 7 rounder. Hell I've only done maybe 1-2 (7 round) Steeler only picks in my life, haha. Anyways...not bad...I know this is what you think SHOULD happen...and I respect that. I did see a handful of players either go much higher or lower than most places project...but you'll have that. But definitely not bad.

Now as far as the Steelers picks...I like the first 3 rounds...while I'm not big into Ijalana or Brown right now...I do like Barksdale. You lost me when you picked a WR and RB. The DE could be a good one...and I knew you'd throw Sumner in there, hahah. And the UDFA...I was hoping you'd put K/P Henery...since I didnt see that he was drafted. While some may not think its a big need and Suisham is OK...I'd like to get that position stable again (no offense to Suis...I do like him). Back to the WR/RB part though...while those positions may be a little thin...I think with Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Brown and El...and then Battle and Sweed...we're good for now. Next year...maybe OK. As far as RB...depending if Moore doesnt come back...yes that puts them down to 3, Mendy, Redman and Dwyer....so if they keep 4 guys like they have been...then someone to fit that #4 spot will be needed...be it a FA or Rookie. Though in reality...they probably could get by with the 3.

Again not bad overall...but as far as the Steelers picks...not sure I'd be overly happy with them.

7willBheaven
04-17-2011, 12:23 AM
I think all steelerfan likes to do is go and rip peoples mocks and argue...wow...hahaha. Yeah we all have our own opinions on things (some better than others)...but jeeez...relax.

steelerfan
04-17-2011, 12:27 AM
Chidi29 (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/member.php/191-Chidi29), Your draft is based on what you think the steelers will do. I can respect that. And I think what they SHOULD probably do is trade down. Look, I agree with you that most likely the talent that will be there at 31 is way more valuable to some teams needs then ours. What areas we will need help in can be had in the mid-40's, and just as talented as the players at 31, so why reach at 31 ? To me Chidi29, I feel the Niners are a prime candidate to deal with. They aren't gonna take a QB in round 1 at 7. But yet it's very likely that one of the two QB's they like in Ponder or Kaepernick won't make it to their pick at 45. So we deal 31 for their 45, and they give us say picks 108 in the 4th, and 141 in the 5th, and pick 190 in the 6th round. That way they can get the QB they want at 31. And we can then take a player at either O-Line, or CB at 45 that has the best remaining value. And then again at 63 in round 2. Those extra picks in round 4 and 5 can also assist us in not only taking the type of players we probably need that you suggested, and the positional players we have a desperate need for like the K Henery from Nebraska, or a mid-round TE.

That way Chidi we get the mid-round picks for development players, but not really sacraficing any quality by dropping from 31 to 45....agree sir ?

Chidi29
04-17-2011, 12:28 AM
Damn...haha. I dont think I'd have it in me to do a full 7 rounder. Hell I've only done maybe 1-2 (7 round) Steeler only picks in my life, haha. Anyways...not bad...I know this is what you think SHOULD happen...and I respect that. I did see a handful of players either go much higher or lower than most places project...but you'll have that. But definitely not bad.

Now as far as the Steelers picks...I like the first 3 rounds...while I'm not big into Ijalana or Brown right now...I do like Barksdale. You lost me when you picked a WR and RB. The DE could be a good one...and I knew you'd throw Sumner in there, hahah. And the UDFA...I was hoping you'd put K/P Henery...since I didnt see that he was drafted. While some may not think its a big need and Suisham is OK...I'd like to get that position stable again (no offense to Suis...I do like him). Back to the WR/RB part though...while those positions may be a little thin...I think with Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Brown and El...and then Battle and Sweed...we're good for now. Next year...maybe OK. As far as RB...depending if Moore doesnt come back...yes that puts them down to 3, Mendy, Redman and Dwyer....so if they keep 4 guys like they have been...then someone to fit that #4 spot will be needed...be it a FA or Rookie. Though in reality...they probably could get by with the 3.

Again not bad overall...but as far as the Steelers picks...not sure I'd be overly happy with them.

I'm fine with bringing in competition for Suisham if we so choose. And obviously, we'll bring in more than one UDFA. If we want to bring in Henry, I have no problem in doing so. I figure we'll bring in another kicker as we usually day. I know Czech is playing in the AFL right now.

You know we're a team that is always thinking ahead. Getting players before we actually need them so they're not rushed; rather, they're ready to step in and play. Guys like Timmons, Woodley, even Mendenhall who was supposed to be "eased" into a role with Parker.

Randle El could very well end up being cut. I'm not going to knock him for fair catching the majority of his punts because that was his job, he was used the way Moore was two seasons ago when we would be catching from deep in our zone. He was a veteran player with more experience who could better judge whether or not to let the ball go. But it's not a role that will give him a lot of job security especially as players like Brown and Sanders have a year under their belt.

I'd roll with this WR core next year: Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, Battle, Toliver

I don't like Dwyer. I'll take Green over him in a heartbeat. Besides, what has Dwyer done to make him automatically earn a roster spot? Didn't look that good in limited action last year.

Chidi29
04-17-2011, 12:31 AM
Chidi29 (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/member.php/191-Chidi29), Your draft is based on what you think the steelers will do. I can respect that. And I think what they SHOULD probably do is trade down. Look, I agree with you that most likely the talent that will be there at 31 is way more valuable to some teams needs then ours. What areas we will need help in can be had in the mid-40's, and just as talented as the players at 31, so why reach at 31 ? To me Chidi29, I feel the Niners are a prime candidate to deal with. They aren't gonna take a QB in round 1 at 7. But yet it's very likely that one of the two QB's they like in Ponder or Kaepernick won't make it to their pick at 45. So we deal 31 for their 45, and they give us say picks 108 in the 4th, and 141 in the 5th, and pick 190 in the 6th round. That way they can get the QB they want at 31. And we can then take a player at either O-Line, or CB at 45 that has the best remaining value. And then again at 63 in round 2. Those extra picks in round 4 and 5 can also assist us in not only taking the type of players we probably need that you suggested, and the positional players we have a desperate need for like the K Henery from Nebraska, or a mid-round TE.

That way Chidi we get the mid-round picks for development players, but not really sacraficing any quality by dropping from 31 to 45....agree sir ?

I wouldn't have a problem with that. You're right that it's dumb to reach and it's not our MO to do so. No one goes in with the plan of reaching and few teams probably do. The "conventional" board Kiper has can be very different from team to team. Although I still don't consider Ijalana to be a reach. He's a first rounder, even if other teams don't think he is. And you know you won't get him with your second pick.

I did not predict any trades in this mock. Don't like doing it.

steelerfan
04-17-2011, 12:36 AM
I wouldn't have a problem with that. You're right that it's dumb to reach and it's not our MO to do so. No one goes in with the plan of reaching and few teams probably do. The "conventional" board Kiper has can be very different from team to team. Although I still don't consider Ijalana to be a reach. He's a first rounder, even if other teams don't think he is. And you know you won't get him with your second pick.

I did not predict any trades in this mock. Don't like doing it.

The Steelers have traded during the draft before. Mostly up, but a few times down as well. I agree you never know what any one GM thinks of a player. Hell there might ne a player that almost all the draft websites have as a 3rd rounder, who ends up in round 1 just because a teams GM likes him. This has happened in almost every draft Chidi. So you never know. But personally, because of his injury, and not working out before the draft, and because he went to a lower level school, Ijalana will be available at pick 45. Just my opinion sir.

7willBheaven
04-17-2011, 12:39 AM
I'm fine with bringing in competition for Suisham if we so choose. And obviously, we'll bring in more than one UDFA. If we want to bring in Henry, I have no problem in doing so. I figure we'll bring in another kicker as we usually day. I know Czech is playing in the AFL right now.

You know we're a team that is always thinking ahead. Getting players before we actually need them so they're not rushed; rather, they're ready to step in and play. Guys like Timmons, Woodley, even Mendenhall who was supposed to be "eased" into a role with Parker.

Randle El could very well end up being cut. I'm not going to knock him for fair catching the majority of his punts because that was his job, he was used the way Moore was two seasons ago when we would be catching from deep in our zone. He was a veteran player with more experience who could better judge whether or not to let the ball go. But it's not a role that will give him a lot of job security especially as players like Brown and Sanders have a year under their belt.

I'd roll with this WR core next year: Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, Battle, Toliver

I don't like Dwyer. I'll take Green over him in a heartbeat. Besides, what has Dwyer done to make him automatically earn a roster spot? Didn't look that good in limited action last year.

Before the lockout stuff...they did sign one kicker...Swayze or something I dont remember. And yeah usually they do try to do the thinking/looking ahead method...and I have no problem with that. Though I will say I'd like them to come out of this draft with at least 2 guys...possibly 3 that could start right away (OL and CB....3rd being a DL, besides a kicker...because obviously if the guy makes the team he will start).

Yeah I have the last 2 WR positions down to El vs. Battle vs. Sweed (if they keep 6 and do not draft any/etc). El stepped up a couple times when needed...and i'm still holding out for hope on Sweed...he was looking good last year everyone was saying...then he got hurt...so if he can at least make the team...I'd be happy, haha. In my eyes if Sweed shows what he was showing early last off season...I think the odd man out would be Battle. El brings that vet leadership and as I said stepped up a couple times when needed. I think thats more valuable than a STer (Battle)...i think he was in on less than 5 offensive plays last year...no offense to him...as I think he's a decent WR, but still.

Why dont you like Dwyer...if you dont mind me asking? I think he did good in preseason and in the one game I remember him playing a good bit...he did pretty good for a rookie...and showed some potential. Of course nobodies roster spot is guaranteed...but as long as the player performs good and doesnt regress or do something to get him kicked off the team I think they deserve a shot of being there the next year. But as I said I'm not against bringing in another RB...especially if Moore is gone.

Chidi29
04-17-2011, 12:46 AM
The Steelers have traded during the draft before. Mostly up, but a few times down as well. I agree you never know what any one GM thinks of a player. Hell there might ne a player that almost all the draft websites have as a 3rd rounder, who ends up in round 1 just because a teams GM likes him. This has happened in almost every draft Chidi. So you never know. But personally, because of his injury, and not working out before the draft, and because he went to a lower level school, Ijalana will be available at pick 45. Just my opinion sir.

I'm sure there will be trades but I don't predict them in my mocks. I'm guessing enough as it is. I just roll with the regular draft order.

Chidi29
04-17-2011, 12:51 AM
Before the lockout stuff...they did sign one kicker...Swayze or something I dont remember. And yeah usually they do try to do the thinking/looking ahead method...and I have no problem with that. Though I will say I'd like them to come out of this draft with at least 2 guys...possibly 3 that could start right away (OL and CB....3rd being a DL, besides a kicker...because obviously if the guy makes the team he will start).

Yeah I have the last 2 WR positions down to El vs. Battle vs. Sweed (if they keep 6 and do not draft any/etc). El stepped up a couple times when needed...and i'm still holding out for hope on Sweed...he was looking good last year everyone was saying...then he got hurt...so if he can at least make the team...I'd be happy, haha. In my eyes if Sweed shows what he was showing early last off season...I think the odd man out would be Battle. El brings that vet leadership and as I said stepped up a couple times when needed. I think thats more valuable than a STer (Battle)...i think he was in on less than 5 offensive plays last year...no offense to him...as I think he's a decent WR, but still.

Why dont you like Dwyer...if you dont mind me asking? I think he did good in preseason and in the one game I remember him playing a good bit...he did pretty good for a rookie...and showed some potential. Of course nobodies roster spot is guaranteed...but as long as the player performs good and doesnt regress or do something to get him kicked off the team I think they deserve a shot of being there the next year. But as I said I'm not against bringing in another RB...especially if Moore is gone.

Oh yeah, Waters is his last name. Forgot about him. That's why I hate the lockout. It's gotten me forgetting who the heck is on our team!

I wouldn't call myself a supporter of Limas but I'm with you as one of the few that don't think he is completely gone and think he's still a talented football player. But I recognize the chances of him making the team as slim.

I'd have to disagree with you on keeping El over Battle. Give me Arnaz. Know he gave us nothing offensively but his special teams is really valuable be it as a wedgebuster or up back on punts. Doesn't show up on paper but it is a big help.

I thought Dwyer's pass blocking was horrid last year. Know he's coming out of a triple option offense and he is young but there wasn't anything about his game that really excited me. And the preseason is tough to put too much stock in even though he had a couple nice runs. But he needs competition. Can't let him just waltz in and grab a roster spot. Competition breeds hard work and gives you the maximum out of each player. Go ahead and give Dwyer a shot but you have to add someone else. Loser hangs out on the practice squad.

7willBheaven
04-17-2011, 01:01 AM
Oh yeah, Waters is his last name. Forgot about him. That's why I hate the lockout. It's gotten me forgetting who the heck is on our team!

I wouldn't call myself a supporter of Limas but I'm with you as one of the few that don't think he is completely gone and think he's still a talented football player. But I recognize the chances of him making the team as slim.

I'd have to disagree with you on keeping El over Battle. Give me Arnaz. Know he gave us nothing offensively but his special teams is really valuable be it as a wedgebuster or up back on punts. Doesn't show up on paper but it is a big help.

I thought Dwyer's pass blocking was horrid last year. Know he's coming out of a triple option offense and he is young but there wasn't anything about his game that really excited me. And the preseason is tough to put too much stock in even though he had a couple nice runs. But he needs competition. Can't let him just waltz in and grab a roster spot. Competition breeds hard work and gives you the maximum out of each player. Go ahead and give Dwyer a shot but you have to add someone else. Loser hangs out on the practice squad.

Hahaha....yeah...I think in the next few days or so I'm going to go through the roster and see whos who and such (besides the obvious ones)...but like year end signings...PS guys...etc.

I know Battle is important on ST...but I think there are some other guys who have stepped in nicely...Sylvester was awesome...Madison is there (though i think he's a FA)...Worilds wasnt bad...Fox (though a FA too i think)...just to name a few. I wish I could see what Battle can do regularly on O...i knew he's decent/etc...but I wish i could see what he can do. If he can step in and be that vet presence and such like El (when he stepped in a few times...especially after getting bumped down the depth chart) then I'd be all for keeping Battle over El (though sentimentally I love El, hahaha).

Blocking is definitely something Dwyer has to work on. But as far as his running itself...thats mainly what I was talking about and think he did well at last year. And I'm not saying that there shouldnt be competition...there ALWAYS should be competition. And there probably always will be. Even if they dont draft someone they will bring some RBs in...right now they have someone by the name of James Johnson on the roster...and there will be more. If someone comes along and can be better than Dwyer then fine...I have no issues with that...I just hope that Dwyer continues to improve and makes them keep him...as i think he COULD (keyword could) become something in time...a solid backup at least.

7willBheaven
04-17-2011, 01:04 AM
Ok I think I'm going to bed for now...we'll continue this later, haha.

Texasteel
04-17-2011, 07:10 AM
The first thing I thought when I first saw this was,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, We got to find you a girl friend bud.

Lot of hard work went into this, I could tell that, and lots for me to digest. It's going to take me a while. One thing I could tell right off. From the conversations we have had in the past, these are all your own thoughts, and you didn't just regurgitate someone else ideas. Great job buddy, thank you.

You and I are probably the biggest of the Ijalana fans, and even tho I am still not sure about 31, I can see your thinking and can not fault it at all, you and I have been bitching about the guard situation for months. Ijalana would fix that for us.

You know I like the Brown pick. Even tho he is smaller, he is more physical that Williams and has superior closing speed. I do think he needs a couple more lbs. as long as it doesn't take away his quickness. We have talking about that too.

We've been over Barksdale enough.

Toliver is a fine 4th round pick and will give Ben a hell of a red zone weapon, alone with a 3rd down target.

Thornton looks like he lost a little baby fat last time I saw him which may make him a little quicker. I honestly don't know about his off the field problems, but I know he's a good player that will make our line younger and stronger.

Green may not last this long, but you never really know and he would be a good running mate for the backfield we have not. A blocking back that can also run and catch is always in demand.

Again, thanks for the work you put into this my friend. I'm going to be studying it for a while.

st33lersguy
04-17-2011, 07:15 AM
Why do you have the steelers drafting a WR and a RB before a NT? NT is a huge need WR and RB are not needs. Also Ijalana is a 2nd round prospect.

Chidi29
04-17-2011, 10:30 AM
The first thing I thought when I first saw this was,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, We got to find you a girl friend bud.

Lot of hard work went into this, I could tell that, and lots for me to digest. It's going to take me a while. One thing I could tell right off. From the conversations we have had in the past, these are all your own thoughts, and you didn't just regurgitate someone else ideas. Great job buddy, thank you.

You and I are probably the biggest of the Ijalana fans, and even tho I am still not sure about 31, I can see your thinking and can not fault it at all, you and I have been bitching about the guard situation for months. Ijalana would fix that for us.

You know I like the Brown pick. Even tho he is smaller, he is more physical that Williams and has superior closing speed. I do think he needs a couple more lbs. as long as it doesn't take away his quickness. We have talking about that too.

We've been over Barksdale enough.

Toliver is a fine 4th round pick and will give Ben a hell of a red zone weapon, alone with a 3rd down target.

Thornton looks like he lost a little baby fat last time I saw him which may make him a little quicker. I honestly don't know about his off the field problems, but I know he's a good player that will make our line younger and stronger.

Green may not last this long, but you never really know and he would be a good running mate for the backfield we have not. A blocking back that can also run and catch is always in demand.

Again, thanks for the work you put into this my friend. I'm going to be studying it for a while.

For what it's worth, Wes Bunting of NFP has Ijalana going to Green Bay at 32. And like I said, I think he's worth the first round pick and you know he won't last until 63.

Now I'm fine with us trading back to get him if we have the opportunity to do so. But I don't predict trades in my mock.

I wasn't aware of Thornton's character issues either but haven't been able to track down much information searching for it online.

steelerfan
04-17-2011, 10:47 AM
http://www.giantsgab.com/2011/04/02/prospect-profiles-cedric-thornton/

CEDRIC THORNTON, DT, SOUTHERN ARKANSAS
Triangle Numbers: 6-3, 309, 5.26
Scouting Reports:
Sideline Scouting: (http://sidelinescouting.com/rankings/dt/cedric-thornton.shtml)
Positives: Good size… Reasonably athletic… Solid interior rusher… Good burst off the snap… Good length and long arms… Good hand punch… Can get penetration… Flashes good power… Can win some battles for leverage… Good bull rusher… Holds the edge well… Can clog the middle… Good range… Gives a good effort… Plays with intensity… Good but inconsistent motor… Hard hitter… Mean streak… Schematic versatility, fits as a 4-3 UT or 3-4 LDE… Dominated his level of competition… Good upside, has the tools to develop.
Negatives: Not much of an arsenal… Needs to improve lower body strength… Plays a little too upright at times and can be knocked off balance… On the ground too much… Can be engulfed at the point of attack… Inconsistent technique… Conditioning issues, wears down late in games… Character concerns… Was suspended for a drug related arrest in 2009… Missed two games due to suspension for violating team rules in 2010… Lack of competition playing at the division two level… Developmental prospect who could be taken off some boards due to character concerns!

Chidi29
04-17-2011, 11:09 AM
Why do you have the steelers drafting a WR and a RB before a NT? NT is a huge need WR and RB are not needs. Also Ijalana is a 2nd round prospect.

The only chance where we could draft a NT is Ellis in the second round. I'd be happy with that as I'm a big fan of Ellis.

And believe me, I have been the biggest advocate of drafting a NT. Wanted Ron Brace two years ago, mocked us Terrence Cody last year.

We just don't draft nose tackles very often. And now that Casey Hampton is locked up and Chris Hoke is still going strong, remember he replaced Hampton against Chris Johnson and the Titans, we don't feel obligated to get one.

Again, this mock isn't about just picking one guy for us each round. If I like a player, it applies to all teams. I'm not going to have a player drop so I can get all the best players for us.

Chidi29
04-17-2011, 11:09 AM
http://www.giantsgab.com/2011/04/02/prospect-profiles-cedric-thornton/

CEDRIC THORNTON, DT, SOUTHERN ARKANSAS
Triangle Numbers: 6-3, 309, 5.26
Scouting Reports:
Sideline Scouting: (http://sidelinescouting.com/rankings/dt/cedric-thornton.shtml)
Positives: Good size… Reasonably athletic… Solid interior rusher… Good burst off the snap… Good length and long arms… Good hand punch… Can get penetration… Flashes good power… Can win some battles for leverage… Good bull rusher… Holds the edge well… Can clog the middle… Good range… Gives a good effort… Plays with intensity… Good but inconsistent motor… Hard hitter… Mean streak… Schematic versatility, fits as a 4-3 UT or 3-4 LDE… Dominated his level of competition… Good upside, has the tools to develop.
Negatives: Not much of an arsenal… Needs to improve lower body strength… Plays a little too upright at times and can be knocked off balance… On the ground too much… Can be engulfed at the point of attack… Inconsistent technique… Conditioning issues, wears down late in games… Character concerns… Was suspended for a drug related arrest in 2009… Missed two games due to suspension for violating team rules in 2010… Lack of competition playing at the division two level… Developmental prospect who could be taken off some boards due to character concerns!

I read that. But where do you draw the selling heroin conclusion from? Lots of different degrees of "drug related arrest".

steelerfan
04-17-2011, 11:34 AM
Actually that was discussed on the radio on a Fox Radio draft show. They were talking about the Bad Character players, like Thornton, Ellis, Mallett, ect. And it got mentioned. They also said that while in Indy, Thornton did not Interview well at all. The guy on the radio said on the other hand that Kenrick Ellis did Interview well. Thornton is a 6th round at BEST player. And is a 3-4 DE, no NT. And as 3-4 DE's go, there are alot to choose from late in the draft with better numbers, or a better upside. Which is why the steelers will never even think of Thornton in this draft.

7willBheaven
04-17-2011, 11:47 AM
Ya know...I dont have problems with people having their own opinions on things/etc...but the ones who act like THEY know it all and everything THEY say is true/fact/etc...thats just sad/annoying. Nobody knows for sure (even so called "insiders") as to what a team will do or is thinking or whatever until it happens...NOBODY knows! Its just ridiculous when people do this...it makes you look like a fool...because you DONT know...you only THINK this or that...not saying these people are always wrong...but still until it happens dont act like you know everything as a 100% fact...that this or that will or wont happen. Its ALL...ALL a guessing game until it actually does happen.

steelerfan
04-17-2011, 11:57 AM
Ya know...I dont have problems with people having their own opinions on things/etc...but the ones who act like THEY know it all and everything THEY say is true/fact/etc...thats just sad/annoying. Nobody knows for sure (even so called "insiders") as to what a team will do or is thinking or whatever until it happens...NOBODY knows! Its just ridiculous when people do this...it makes you look like a fool...because you DONT know...you only THINK this or that...not saying these people are always wrong...but still until it happens dont act like you know everything as a 100% fact...that this or that will or wont happen. Its ALL...ALL a guessing game until it actually does happen.

I'm sorry but, who is doing this ? No one here is absolutely saying anything. Yes I disagree with Chidi with his Ijalana pick. But I base that on a players on the field performance, and against who ? As well as other factors. But I don't think anyone in this thread is acting like you claim. And I'm sorry if you think I am. I don't mean to.

Chidi29
04-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Actually that was discussed on the radio on a Fox Radio draft show. They were talking about the Bad Character players, like Thornton, Ellis, Mallett, ect. And it got mentioned. They also said that while in Indy, Thornton did not Interview well at all. The guy on the radio said on the other hand that Kenrick Ellis did Interview well. Thornton is a 6th round at BEST player. And is a 3-4 DE, no NT. And as 3-4 DE's go, there are alot to choose from late in the draft with better numbers, or a better upside. Which is why the steelers will never even think of Thornton in this draft.

I'm still not able to find anything specifying what exactly the arrest was for anywhere online.

Thornton's numbers were really good. Who did you have in mind who is better?

steelerfan
04-17-2011, 12:36 PM
I'm still not able to find anything specifying what exactly the arrest was for anywhere online.

Thornton's numbers were really good. Who did you have in mind who is better?

Well sir, to be honest it's easy for me. Having seen this guy play, and because we won't have to take him in round 1, so I don't care if he's 26 years old, I see ALOT of this guy ( look at below link )...in him.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=61118&draftyear=1999&genpos=DE

Compare the 2 profiles Chidi. Look at the height, weight, and strength of my guy in this draft, to the one we took in 1999.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=74714&draftyear=2011&genpos=DE

And my guy can easily be had in the late 6th round.

LLT
04-17-2011, 01:20 PM
I'm sorry but, who is doing this ? No one here is absolutely saying anything. Yes I disagree with Chidi with his Ijalana pick. But I base that on a players on the field performance, and against who ? As well as other factors. But I don't think anyone in this thread is acting like you claim. And I'm sorry if you think I am. I don't mean to.

What you ARE doing is spreading false information.

Please check your facts before you post rumors. I had to do some research but Cedric Thornton has NEVER been arrested while in college and his suspension had "nothing to do with an arrest or drug related matters".... According to scout Josh Buchanon who talked to insiders at the school.
http://www.jbscouting.com/index.php/blog/1510-draft-chat-1-11-11

Sometimes its as easy as doing a search through the local paper of the college in question....If they have no story about one of the star players being arrested....it did NOT happen.

Also keep in mind, you could have easily of figured out that "selling herion" is going to garner a player more than a two game suspension.

We pride ouselves here at SU in providing the best resourses for our meembers and guests...please be more careful in the future about posting, as truth, information from websites that are anything less than 100% accurate. We cannot have members created a potential liability issue for the site.

If we wanted false rumors...we would all read the bleacher report and pro football talk.

So....to clear matters up.

CEDRIC THORNTON WAS NOT ARRESTED/SUSPENDED FOR DRUG RELATED ACTIVITY

Chidi29
04-17-2011, 01:45 PM
Well sir, to be honest it's easy for me. Having seen this guy play, and because we won't have to take him in round 1, so I don't care if he's 26 years old, I see ALOT of this guy ( look at below link )...in him.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=61118&draftyear=1999&genpos=DE

Compare the 2 profiles Chidi. Look at the height, weight, and strength of my guy in this draft, to the one we took in 1999.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=74714&draftyear=2011&genpos=DE

And my guy can easily be had in the late 6th round.

I think there's one thing I want to clear up. I feel like we're not on the same page.

There are tons of ways the mock for the team could have gone. If I make one change anywhere, the whole mock changes. Big domino effect.

I get the feeling you think that I'm saying my mock is the only possibility. It certainly is not. If you want to wait on a DE and get Bair in the sixth, I understand that.

My idea is one of infinitely many solutions.

steelerfan
04-17-2011, 02:03 PM
What you ARE doing is spreading false information.

Please check your facts before you post rumors. I had to do some research but Cedric Thornton has NEVER been arrested while in college and his suspension had "nothing to do with an arrest or drug related matters".... According to scout Josh Buchanon who talked to insiders at the school.
http://www.jbscouting.com/index.php/blog/1510-draft-chat-1-11-11

Sometimes its as easy as doing a search through the local paper of the college in question....If they have no story about one of the star players being arrested....it did NOT happen.

Also keep in mind, you could have easily of figured out that "selling herion" is going to garner a player more than a two game suspension.

We pride ouselves here at SU in providing the best resourses for our meembers and guests...please be more careful in the future about posting, as truth, information from websites that are anything less than 100% accurate. We cannot have members created a potential liability issue for the site.

If we wanted false rumors...we would all read the bleacher report and pro football talk.

So....to clear matters up.

CEDRIC THORNTON WAS NOT ARRESTED/SUSPENDED FOR DRUG RELATED ACTIVITY

Hey LLT, but excuse me sir but................

Conditioning issues, wears down late in games… Character concerns… Was suspended for a drug related arrest in 2009… Missed two games due to suspension for violating team rules in 2010… Lack of competition playing at the division two level… Developmental prospect who could be taken off some boards due to character concerns!

What part of that don't you understand ? Your link only talks about Thornton's suspension for this past season. And not the 09 season, where he was absolutely arrested for drugs. Now, I only heard it was " H " from a draft scout on Fox radio. But the arrest DID happen absolutely. And my above link/source does npot come from Profootballtalk, or the Bleacher report.....MAN! Talk about spreading BS false rumors!

X-Terminator
04-17-2011, 02:15 PM
What part of that don't you understand ? Your link only talks about Thornton's suspension for this past season. And not the 09 season, where he was absolutely arrested for drugs. Now, I only heard it was " H " from a draft scout on Fox radio. But the arrest DID happen absolutely. And my above link/source does npot come from Profootballtalk, or the Bleacher report.....MAN! Talk about spreading BS false rumors!

Do you have a link to this 2009 arrest? It would really help your credibility in this area.

LLT
04-17-2011, 02:37 PM
Hey LLT, but excuse me sir but................

Conditioning issues, wears down late in games… Character concerns… Was suspended for a drug related arrest in 2009… Missed two games due to suspension for violating team rules in 2010… Lack of competition playing at the division two level… Developmental prospect who could be taken off some boards due to character concerns!

One of us is most certainly not understanding...let me see if I can get it across to you politely.

In 2009 he played 10 out of 10 games without a suspension. Therefore:

A) The school decided to overlook something as serious as "selling heroin" in 2009...
B) Or it was transferred to the 2010 season, in which they equated such a violation as being the same as an academic failing, by only suspending him for two games.

Now...go back and re-read my post. I never said your source was Bleacher report or Pro football talk....but rather said that if we wanted rumor That is where we can go. Please dont make an accusation like that again, without merit.

I read through five different draft publications looking for any hint of an arrest. I then did an internet search and only found mention of it on sites that do not do their own research. I then checked the local papers for Southern Arkansas University....and I did what I can do legally through my job since I work in law enforcement.

He was NEVER arrested for selling heroin. Your "source" is wrong.

steelerfan
04-17-2011, 03:10 PM
One of us is most certainly not understanding...let me see if I can get it across to you politely.

In 2009 he played 10 out of 10 games without a suspension. Therefore:

A) The school decided to overlook something as serious as "selling heroin" in 2009...
B) Or it was transferred to the 2010 season, in which they equated such a violation as being the same as an academic failing, by only suspending him for two games.

Now...go back and re-read my post. I never said your source was Bleacher report or Pro football talk....but rather said that if we wanted rumor That is where we can go. Please dont make an accusation like that again, without merit.

I read through five different draft publications looking for any hint of an arrest. I then did an internet search and only found mention of it on sites that do not do their own research. I then checked the local papers for Southern Arkansas University....and I did what I can do legally through my job since I work in law enforcement.

He was NEVER arrested for selling heroin. Your "source" is wrong.

Okay LLT, fine. Maybe I am wrong on that. But I did not make it up. This what was said on a national Radio show. But if I am wrong on that, I mo certainly am not wrong that the guy does have some Character concerns, right LLT ? And I am also not wrong that Cedric is considered more of a late 5th, early 6th round project, then a 4th rounder, right ? But hey, if Chidi likes him, fine with me. I assume you aren't as high on him cause I don't think you had him in your mock draft,,,,but I could be wrong there as well ( Wouldn't be the first time )

Don't worry LLT, and Texasteel, or Chidi. I'm gonna post who I THINK are the best, or most likely draft picks pretty soon, and then you'll ALL have a chance to whip me over the coals but good! :-)

7willBheaven
04-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Some peoples kids.

Chidi29
04-25-2011, 04:29 PM
My "ideal" mock draft.

1. Trade down. Hopefully there will be a team who hasn't already traded up. Concerned teams like New England and Baltimore will get deals done before us. Again though, ideal draft.

San Francisco seems like an ideal trade partner. They're trading up a good amount, about 15 picks, making it worth their while as opposed to a team like Cincy trading up just three spots. They can get their QB and there really isn't anyone I see worth taking at 31. I'd rather trade back and get the value instead of sitting there and taking a guy I'm not enamored with.

We trade: Our first and sixth rounder
We get: Their second and third round

So our first pick is at 45. We take...

Ben Ijalana/OG Villanova: As we did in my other mock. A player that got me to change my opinion of him. Didn't like him at first but now think he's a top guard prospect. We need an upgrade at RG.

2. Curtis Brown/CB Texas: Sticking with my mock so far. Everything I've read on him sounds like he's a perfect Steelers cornerback.

3 (Pick #76 from San Fran): Kenrick Ellis/NT Hampton: It doesn't seem like the team is willing to take a nose tackle, maybe because of the fear of how long it'll take for one to develop or because Hampton and Hoke are still playing well. Ellis has a ton of upper body strength and will only get better with some work on his technique. Also has an amazing motor and has matured from his off the field incidents early in his college career.

3. Joseph Barksdale/OT LSU: Also like my mock. Big body with long arms who is a younger version of Flozell Adams.

4. Ugo Chinesa/OLB Oklahoma St: He's one of the best pure pass rushers in the draft. Not exaggerating at all. Wide repitore of moves and a good first step. Little tall to play OLB but he isn't that much taller than guys like Ware and Orakpo. Already has some experience dropping into coverage. Has long arms and large hands to be able to disengage from large lineman. Even though he's raw against the run, he has the frame to improve. Remember that Worilds was exlucsively a strong side linebacker at VT. Chinesa played RE and could play WOLB.

5. Kris Durham/WR Georgia: Big body, 6'5, who runs in the 4.4s and averaged over 20 yards a catch his senior year. Randle El could get cut and honestly, our depth at WR isn't as good as some think it is.

7. Frank Kearse/DE Alabama A&M: A player we've shown interest in. Hard-worker that paid off with a productive senior season. Aaron Smith came from a small school, too. Northern Colorado.