PDA

View Full Version : Limas Sweed May Finally Make An Impact With The Pittsburgh Steelers

stillers4me
04-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Limas Sweed was once considered a draft day steal for the Pittsburgh Steelers, but after two disappointing seasons Steelers fans regarded him as wasted space and a busted pick. But, then reports came from mini camp last year that Sweed was turning his fortune around, complete with a brand new number on his jersey, hoping to rejuvenate a career where all hope was thought lost.

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin was reportedly very impressed with Sweed during last year’s mini camp and Steelers fans around the country were genuinely excited, anticipating that Sweed just may have that breakout season that was thought capable of him when he was drafted.

That would never happen, however, as Sweed was injured on May 11th, 2010, it was his left Achilles and it effectively ended his season, as he was placed on injured reserve...........

Read more @ http://www.steelerschronicle.com/2011/04/limas-sweed-may-finally-make-an-impact-with-the-pittsburgh-steelers.html/

Devilsdancefloor
04-16-2011, 03:53 PM
it is now or never for him!

86WARD
04-16-2011, 03:56 PM
It may be over pending on this upcoming draft...lol.

zulater
04-16-2011, 04:05 PM
I'm looking foward to the day that Limas' NFL catch totals equal the number of threads he's been given on Steeler message boards. :ranger:

But I'm not holding my breath until then. :tongue1:

Galax Steeler
04-16-2011, 04:07 PM
it is now or never for him!

That is what I said last year. LOL

solardave
04-16-2011, 04:07 PM
We could really use him since we're going to "throw the ball more next year":rolleyes:
(or 2012).

steelerfan
04-16-2011, 04:16 PM
His issues was never health. It was his horrible hands. He might be a camp invite. But he's a long shot to make the team.

steeldevil
04-16-2011, 04:36 PM
I really hope he can get it together. He could be good if he does.

SteelerEmpire
04-16-2011, 05:19 PM
Sweed's 2011 motto will be: "feet (and hands) don't fail me now" !

KeiselPower99
04-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Sweed has the talent but hasnt ever put it together. I really hope he beats out Arnez for the 6th and final WR spot. A WR group of Hines Wallace Sanders Brown El and Sweed would give other teams fits.

steelerfan
04-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Sweed has the talent but hasnt ever put it together. I really hope he beats out Arnez for the 6th and final WR spot. A WR group of Hines Wallace Sanders Brown El and Sweed would give other teams fits.

El won't make the team, he won't even be in camp. Neither will Battle. Which is why the team will draft a WR. Sweed and Tyler Grisham, and whoever we draft will battle for the last two spots.

Borski
04-16-2011, 09:01 PM
I'll believe it when I see it.

Godfather
04-16-2011, 09:02 PM
I'd love to see some gadget plays and 5WR sets.

tihmtahm
04-16-2011, 10:12 PM
I'd rather keep El. Sweed never impressed me, and he always seem to drop easy passes when it matters.

The Duke
04-16-2011, 10:16 PM
El won't make the team, he won't even be in camp. Neither will Battle. Which is why the team will draft a WR. Sweed and Tyler Grisham, and whoever we draft will battle for the last two spots.

Completely disagre. He was our best special teamer last season, and unless Limas can play special teams (which I doubt) or Battle has a buge salary (which I doubt) then he should have a clear path for the week 1 roster

Randle El, I hope Sweed or any new receiver beats him out, but if not he's a nice fallback plan. He does have a quite larger salary though....

Hope grisham shows enough to make the roster this year finally

steelerfan
04-16-2011, 10:34 PM
El is a nice guy. But he has lost alot of speed, and quickness. He is a pure slot WR. And at this time, both Ward, and Antonio Brown make better slot WR's. Or Sanders if they put Ward out wide. So I expect cause they need more of a taller, endzone threat that Sweed will get the better chance to make the team.

Craic
04-17-2011, 02:15 AM
I've always thought Sweed's gotten somewhat of the short end of the stick.

His first drop in a game was a TD pass to put the Ravens away in the playoffs. What if his first drop was the following year in the first game of the season for a 9 yard pass that wouldn't have made up for a 3rd and 20? No one would have say a thing about it a week later.

Everyone was complaining about him watching the screen. Funny thing was, it was a picture of him trying to track the ball-he was tracking the ball, and was behind it (game speed + playoff speed / Rookie 1st game = too fast for rookie).

Such a big deal was made of it, that the next time he drops the ball, everyone, including the coaches make a big deal about it. Don't forget, he played with the, "You drop the ball again your done" pressure. Not a good way to settle the kid down so he can just play the game.

It might be better for Sweed to get a fresh start somewhere else. But frankly, I think if he does, he's going to be the next Mike Vrabel for us, or the next James Harrison for the Ravens.

solardave
04-17-2011, 04:38 AM
I've always thought Sweed's gotten somewhat of the short end of the stick.

His first drop in a game was a TD pass to put the Ravens away in the playoffs. What if his first drop was the following year in the first game of the season for a 9 yard pass that wouldn't have made up for a 3rd and 20? No one would have say a thing about it a week later.

Everyone was complaining about him watching the screen. Funny thing was, it was a picture of him trying to track the ball-he was tracking the ball, and was behind it (game speed + playoff speed / Rookie 1st game = too fast for rookie).

Such a big deal was made of it, that the next time he drops the ball, everyone, including the coaches make a big deal about it. Don't forget, he played with the, "You drop the ball again your done" pressure. Not a good way to settle the kid down so he can just play the game.

It might be better for Sweed to get a fresh start somewhere else. But frankly, I think if he does, he's going to be the next Mike Vrabel for us, or the next James Harrison for the Ravens.

Your use of Vrabel is a really good example. He played like a bonehead for us and then turned all pro after he left. As far as Limas Sweed. He dropped more than just the one pass.It was two back to back games. But I for one still want to see him become a real top notch receiver FOR US. I was at the AFCCG when he laid out Corey Ivey. I know he has heart and I believe he has true talent. If he can develop faith in his ability and a short memory he will be great IMHO.

SteelerEmpire
04-17-2011, 06:52 AM
I'd love to see some gadget plays and 5WR sets.

Yep. Team's seem to have great success throwing a 5WR set against us, with our 'superior defense'. Just think if we used it ON THEM with their less astute defense's... IT WOULD BE AN EXCELLENT COUNTER AGAINST THE SPREAD THE FIELD STRATEGY AGAINST THE STEELERS !!! "FIGHT FIRE... WITH FIRE !!!

Count Steeler
04-17-2011, 07:09 AM
Limas has to put in a good TC. It would be nice for the Head Office to know that Sweed will perform up to expectations, but they have to hedge their bets and will end up drafting a WR. Sweed will be in for a fight to make the team.

Craic
04-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Yep. Team's seem to have great success throwing a 5WR set against us, with our 'superior defense'. Just think if we used it ON THEM with their less astute defense's... IT WOULD BE AN EXCELLENT COUNTER AGAINST THE SPREAD THE FIELD STRATEGY AGAINST THE STEELERS !!! "FIGHT FIRE... WITH FIRE !!!

You know, that is an excellent point that I have not thought about.

Make our biggest weapon against the spread, our own 5 WR spread offense. I'd want to see us pick up a very good CB before we took on that kind of mentality though.

BPS3akaWirels3
04-17-2011, 02:09 PM
Not expecting anything from him.. I'd rather keep El...

Craic
04-17-2011, 02:34 PM
Not expecting anything from him.. I'd rather keep El...

A couple years ago? Sure. But he no longer has that little something extra that made him a good 3rd, or even 4th receiver. We already have number's 1-4. I'd rather take my chances with a guy coming into the prime of playing life, then with a guy 2, 3 years removed from it.

GoSlash27
04-17-2011, 03:44 PM
He will either set the world on fire early this season or he'll be released in favor of a better draft pick.

ALLD
04-17-2011, 03:54 PM
Ike Taylor has caught more passes than Sweed and Taylor is a CB with stone hands.

Iron Steeler
04-17-2011, 05:26 PM
He could be our ace in the hole... I remember being so excited when we got him in the second round. I thought we had the best WR in that draft... the Ability is there, he is just extremely unlucky.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-18-2011, 10:40 AM
I had hopes for Sweed last season, but between injury and pressure, I really doubt that he makes the 53. I hope he can make the team and at least evolve into a serviceable player, kind of like Jahine Arnold or Andre Hastings back in the 90's.

SteelerFanInStl
04-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Completely disagre. He was our best special teamer last season, and unless Limas can play special teams (which I doubt) or Battle has a buge salary (which I doubt) then he should have a clear path for the week 1 roster

Exactly. Why does everyone forget about the job that Battle did on special teams? He's certainly more valuable than Randle El.