PDA

View Full Version : My last mock

Texasteel
04-16-2011, 02:23 AM
I've had a tough time with this year, and I not sure why, but we are getting pretty close and I think I need to get this done. For what its worth.

1st. Ras-I Dowling. CB, Virginia, 6'1", 195 / Dowling has had a rough year and has, I think, worked his way back into the 1st round. He has the size and speed I like in a CB and teamed up with Ike will give us a defensive back field that might not strike fear in the hearts of the other team for a while, but won't scare the Steelers fans anymore either. I know there is concern about his senor injury's, but in my opinion that is the only reason we even have a shot at him.

2nd. Kenrick Ellis. NT, Hampton, 6'5", 346 / Ellis might possibly end up the best NT in this years draft. He started off with some off the field problems, but has seemed to have himself turned around. I may look at a kids mistakes, but I will not set them in concrete. We need someone that can give our line a little rest, and be able to step in without missing a beat in a couple years. Ellis should be able to do just that.

3rd. Joseph Barksdale. OT, LSU, 6'5", 325 / I see Barksdale as a bit of an underachiever. I've see what our O-Line coach can do with lesser talent, I would like to see if he can light a fire in Joseph's belly. Barksdale I think is a natural RT with the talent to play LT probably better that what we have now. Also considered Marcus Gilbert.

4th. Zack Hurd. OG, Connecticut, 6'7", 320 / Hurd is a hard nosed, hard working, blue collar type of player. The kind of kid that no one talks about but does his job well year after year. Zack has decent feet that I think could play either guard spot, and I have not been happy with our guard play.

5th. Martin Parker. DE, Richmond, 6'2", 305/ Parker has had a solid year at Richmond, and showed speed, strength, and tenacity in the Shrine game that few thought he had. Has been slowly moving up the draft charts and I think will land in the 5th round.

6th. Thats right, Lee Smith. TE, Marshall, 6'6" 265 / Smith has been sliding in the draft a little, probably because of his speed, but he is still the best blocking TE on the board, and would likely show up for TC as the best blocking TE we have. Lee has better hands than some think and is often able to find the open areas.

7th. Chris Prosinski, FS, Wyoming, 6'1", 200 / Prosinski has been flying under the radar until his Pro Day. He is very quick and can tackle. He is a kid that can drop into zone coverage and still support the run. Clark is getting older and his big hits are starting to show. Chris could spell him and eventually replace him in the line up.

At least we will not have long to find out how good, or bad, these mocks are.

LLT
04-16-2011, 08:27 AM
You surprised me buddy!!!!! Do you have Hurd ranked above Moffitt...or do you think that Moffitt is gone by then?

Texasteel
04-16-2011, 08:53 AM
You surprised me buddy!!!!! Do you have Hurd ranked above Moffitt...or do you think that Moffitt is gone by then?

I do think Moffitt go's mid 4th, the cowboys would be my best guess. I have a feeling Moffitt has been picking up some quiet interest, and believe me Dallas wants a strong OG in this draft. If Moffitt is there, I take him, if not, I will be happy with Hurd. I may be a little higher on Hurd than some, but I've always had a soft spot for kids that have to work a little harder, and do. Being a Big 10 fan I have seen Moffitt more than Hurd, but I do think that Hurd may have a little better feet, and might be a little quicker when pulling.

I was trying to figure who I think will be available on all these pick, and it gets harder as you get deeper into the draft.

By the way, I did almost take Gilbert instead of Barksdale. Looking back Gilbert has do everything he was asked to do and did it well. He could possibly by one of those players that really blossom in the pros.

LLT
04-16-2011, 10:39 AM
I'm thrilled with either Barksdale or Gilbert...

When looking at value...how upset would you be if we went:

R1) OG Danny Watkins
R2) OLB Sam Acho
R3) OT Marcus Gilbert
R4) RB Jamie Harper
R5) CB Chykie Brown
R6) DE David Carter
R7) NT Anthony Gray

steelerfan
04-16-2011, 11:22 AM
I've had a tough time with this year, and I not sure why, but we are getting pretty close and I think I need to get this done. For what its worth.

1st. Ras-I Dowling. CB, Virginia, 6'1", 195 / Dowling has had a rough year and has, I think, worked his way back into the 1st round. He has the size and speed I like in a CB and teamed up with Ike will give us a defensive back field that might not strike fear in the hearts of the other team for a while, but won't scare the Steelers fans anymore either. I know there is concern about his senor injury's, but in my opinion that is the only reason we even have a shot at him.

2nd. Kenrick Ellis. NT, Hampton, 6'5", 346 / Ellis might possibly end up the best NT in this years draft. He started off with some off the field problems, but has seemed to have himself turned around. I may look at a kids mistakes, but I will not set them in concrete. We need someone that can give our line a little rest, and be able to step in without missing a beat in a couple years. Ellis should be able to do just that.

3rd. Joseph Barksdale. OT, LSU, 6'5", 325 / I see Barksdale as a bit of an underachiever. I've see what our O-Line coach can do with lesser talent, I would like to see if he can light a fire in Joseph's belly. Barksdale I think is a natural RT with the talent to play LT probably better that what we have now. Also considered Marcus Gilbert.

4th. Zack Hurd. OG, Connecticut, 6'7", 320 / Hurd is a hard nosed, hard working, blue collar type of player. The kind of kid that no one talks about but does his job well year after year. Zack has decent feet that I think could play either guard spot, and I have not been happy with our guard play.

5th. Martin Parker. DE, Richmond, 6'2", 305/ Parker has had a solid year at Richmond, and showed speed, strength, and tenacity in the Shrine game that few thought he had. Has been slowly moving up the draft charts and I think will land in the 5th round.

6th. Thats right, Lee Smith. TE, Marshall, 6'6" 265 / Smith has been sliding in the draft a little, probably because of his speed, but he is still the best blocking TE on the board, and would likely show up for TC as the best blocking TE we have. Lee has better hands than some think and is often able to find the open areas.

7th. Chris Prosinski, FS, Wyoming, 6'1", 200 / Prosinski has been flying under the radar until his Pro Day. He is very quick and can tackle. He is a kid that can drop into zone coverage and still support the run. Clark is getting older and his big hits are starting to show. Chris could spell him and eventually replace him in the
line up.

I appreciate you posting your mock LLT. However, both Hurd and Barksdale are more like 5th round picks. Very developemental players. No way will Barksdale go 3rd round. I also have to say no matter what a teams Individual thoughts are, Dowling at 31 is too high. Yes in some minds he is climbing. But more in the area of the 45-50 range. I can think of several players better then he at 31 that will be there at 31. Smith in round 6, and Ellis at the end of round 2 seem okay. Your 7th round safety is okay, but more likely not cause we haven't talked with him. And we have talked and visited with alot of players projected in the 7th round or UFA.

If we take a OL in round 3, it will likely be Carpenter I would think. I also think the team is very high on Cortez Allen from what I hear.

LLT
04-16-2011, 12:15 PM
I appreciate you posting your mock LLT. However, both Hurd and Barksdale are more like 5th round picks. Very developemental players. .

Not my draft...Its one done by Texasteel.

Sorry to disagree with you steerfan but there is NO WAY that Barksdale will be there on the backside of the 5th round. Remember, we pick at #162. Barksdale is ranked 3-4 round on virtually every trusted draft board that I have seen...most typically has him ranked at around the 100-135 range.

Hurd is ranked as a 4th to 5th round prospect so his ranking is perfect as a late 4th rounder.

Dowling at 31 is too high. Yes in some minds he is climbing. But more in the area of the 45-50 range.

A player ranked #40 that is taken at #31 is rarely called a reach. Dowling is one of those players (like OLB Bruce Carter) who is severly under valued this year.

Your 7th round safety is okay, but more likely not cause we haven't talked with him. And we have talked and visited with alot of players projected in the 7th round or UFA.

We drafted first round pick Ziggy Hood without ever talking to him.

steelerfan
04-16-2011, 12:33 PM
Not my draft...Its one done by Texasteel.

Sorry to disagree with you steerfan but there is NO WAY that Barksdale will be there on the backside of the 5th round. Remember, we pick at #162. Barksdale is ranked 3-4 round on virtually every trusted draft board that I have seen...most typically has him ranked at around the 100-135 range.

Hurd is ranked as a 4th to 5th round prospect so his ranking is perfect as a late 4th rounder.

A player ranked #40 that is taken at #31 is rarely called a reach. Dowling is one of those players (like OLB Bruce Carter) who is severly under valued this year.

We drafted first round pick Ziggy Hood without ever talking to him.

Ooops, sorry LLT, I thought it was yours. As it goes to Barksdale, not withstanding alot of draft services. Cause I'm sure you have seen him in round 3, even though I have not. But CDS, is maybe the NFL's leading scouting service. Been around for 37 years, and many GM's rely on this service. Here's their take.

http://cdsdraft.com/profile.php?id=5359

LLT
04-16-2011, 12:45 PM
Ooops, sorry LLT, I thought it was yours. As it goes to Barksdale, not withstanding alot of draft services. Cause I'm sure you have seen him in round 3, even though I have not. But CDS, is maybe the NFL's leading scouting service. Been around for 37 years, and many GM's rely on this service. Here's their take.

http://cdsdraft.com/profile.php?id=5359

I prefer NFLDraftScout myself....

You might also like ProFootballWeekly. They are a bit Steeler-biased but Nolan Nawrocki covers the draft as good as anyone.

My other fallback is Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News, he is usually pretty close to the target on team needs and possible draft prospects.

Stay FAR AWAY from ProFootballTalk and Bleacher Report....they are both the National Enquirer of the football world.

But NOTHING takes the place of watching enough games and tape yourself to make the best assessment. You seem to watch a lot of college ball...dont let some site tell you that your eyes are lying.

steelerfan
04-16-2011, 12:52 PM

You might also like ProFootballWeekly. They are a bit Steeler-biased but Nolan Nawrocki covers the draft as good as anyone.

My other fallback is Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News, he is usually pretty close to the target on team needs and possible draft prospects.

Stay FAR AWAY from ProFootballTalk and Bleacher Report....they are both the National Enquirer of the football world.

But NOTHING takes the place of watching enough games and tape yourself to make the best assessment. You seem to watch a lot of college ball...dont let some site tell you that your eyes are lying.

As it goes to Gosselin, he has some great insidres as GM's. But he is no scout. CDS is a serive that does scouting. Pro football weekley is a Magazine. Has some great writers yes, but they aren't scouts. Look, one NEVER knows what a particular GM is thinking. You and I both LLT can probably remember a few 1st rounders taken that NO ONE had anywhere near round 1. So Dowling is a possibility. Hey LLT, after what I found out about Kenrick Ellis, and his Assualt charge this past season, don't you think maybe the steelers might be hypocrites IF they do indeed use a high pick on him ?

Just wondering! Thanks.

LLT
04-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Hey LLT, after what I found out about Kenrick Ellis, and his Assualt charge this past season, don't you think maybe the steelers might be hypocrites IF they do indeed use a high pick on him ?

Just wondering! Thanks.

Ellis history has been a point of contention for awhile now. I dont know what it is about this defensive tackle draft class???!!! Taylor...Ellis....Powe...Austin....ALL have red flags that teams are going to have to investigate HARD!

My feeling is that you never draft a character concern in the first three rounds. Gamble later.

That is why I am still VERY high on Anthony Gray as a late round steal.

Overview
Teams do not often drool over defensive tackles that measure in a shade under 6-feet. But that's nothing new to Gray, who has been overcoming doubt about his abilities since before he arrived at Hattiesburg as a two-star recruit. His strength and relative quickness for his size could trump any concerns teams have about his height coming up short of two yardsticks.

After redshirting in 2006, Gray found another hurdle to clear when he was forced to miss the first seven games of his freshman season due to a foot injury suffered in practice. Still, in less than half a season, with no previous college experience, he managed three tackles for loss and a sack. Gray then earned second-team All-Conference USA honors after starting seven games and playing in all 13, racking up a team-high six sacks. He garnered honorable-mention all-conference as a junior, with seven tackles for loss and 1.5 sacks as a full-time starter.

As a senior, Gray was the focal point of more than one opponent's offensive line but still returned to the All-C-USA second-team and set a career mark with 44 tackles, including six for loss and two sacks. He plays with great aggressiveness and energy, but his determination to get to the quarterback often causes him to run past the ballcarrier and completely out of the play.

If selected in the late rounds, it's likely NFL coaches will teach him to stay disciplined while lined up at nose tackle to take advantage of his natural strength and leverage.

Latest News
03/22/2011 - NFL Draft Scout Riser: Anthony Gray, DT, Southern Mississippi: Gray measured in at only 5-11, but he moved his 330 pounds well enough (5.15 40, 31.5-inch vertical, 4.61 short shuttle) and put up 39 reps at his pro day, really intriguing teams that are looking for a plugger in the middle. - Chad Reuter, NFLDraftScout.com

steelerfan
04-16-2011, 01:05 PM
Ellis history has been a point of contention for awhile now. I dont know what it is about this defensive tackle draft class???!!! Taylor...Ellis....Powe...Austin....ALL have red flags that teams are going to have to investigate HARD!

My feeling is that you never draft a character concern in the first three rounds. Gamble later.

That is why I am still VERY high on Anthony Gray as a late round steal.

I agree LLT. Maybe that's why the Steelers invited him in, they REALLY wanted to Investigate him up close. As it goes to late round picks, yeah Gray is interesting. I wonder LLT, did you see this guy I posted in the players thread ? Leslie Jasper ? As a 7th rounder, or even a undrafted free agent, what are your thoughts ?

http://www.lesliemikejaspernfl.com/ (http://www.lesliemikejaspernfl.com/)

Texasteel
04-16-2011, 01:10 PM
I appreciate you posting your mock LLT. However, both Hurd and Barksdale are more like 5th round picks. Very developemental players. No way will Barksdale go 3rd round. I also have to say no matter what a teams Individual thoughts are, Dowling at 31 is too high. Yes in some minds he is climbing. But more in the area of the 45-50 range. I can think of several players better then he at 31 that will be there at 31. Smith in round 6, and Ellis at the end of round 2 seem okay. Your 7th round safety is okay, but more likely not cause we haven't talked with him. And we have talked and visited with alot of players projected in the 7th round or UFA.

If we take a OL in round 3, it will likely be Carpenter I would think. I also think the team is very high on Cortez Allen from what I hear.

You and I will continue to disagree on Dowling. My mock is with the idea that the Steelers got a clean bill of heath for there Dr. A health Dowling is much better than William, Harris, or Smith. In fact IMO he would not be far from being the 2nd best CB in this draft. If we could drop into the 2nd and get him great, but I doubt if it would be at 45. I also disagree that Barksdale is a 5th round pick. I think at worse he is an early 4th. so the 31st pick in the 3rd round is not far of. Hurd could go in the 5th. but again the second to the last pick it the 4th is not a reach on him either. I would be surprised if we could get Carpenter with our 3rd round pick.

Just because they have not brought Prosinski in does not mean they do not know about him, and his numbers alone could draw 7th round interest. I don't believe they brought Hood in either, and they spent a 1st. round pick on him.

I'm glad to see you are coming around on Smith.

7willBheaven
04-16-2011, 01:15 PM

R1) OG Danny Watkins
R2) OLB Sam Acho
R3) OT Marcus Gilbert
R4) RB Jamie Harper
R5) CB Chykie Brown
R6) DE David Carter
R7) NT Anthony Gray

The one thing I hate about Watkins is his age...he's like 26-27 years old...if it wasnt for that I wouldnt mind. No to #2, #3 I can deal with, #4 no, #5 I'm fine with, and the last 2 I dont know much about. I really dont like the overall look of this on. No DBs util round 5???? No DL until round 6-7? I dunno, haha.

Texasteel
04-16-2011, 01:16 PM

I have alway like NFLDraftScout myself. I have used them for years now and their player evaluations have always been very close come draft day. How ever I do try to see these kids myself if I can.

LLT
04-16-2011, 01:16 PM
As it goes to Gosselin, he has some great insidres as GM's. But he is no scout. CDS is a serive that does scouting. Pro football weekley is a Magazine. Has some great writers yes, but they aren't scouts.

Which is why I gave you NFLDraftScout first. They are a scouting agency.

By using the scouting services to set up a value chart...and the insider reports of people like Gosselin to find out team needs and projections...you should be able to set up your own draft chart.

By the way...Nolan Nawrocki was a safety for the University of Illinois and has been a talent evaluator for year...learning under the legendary Joel Buchsbaum.

7willBheaven
04-16-2011, 01:17 PM

7th. Chris Prosinski, FS, Wyoming, 6'1", 200 / Prosinski has been flying under the radar until his Pro Day. He is very quick and can tackle. He is a kid that can drop into zone coverage and still support the run. Clark is getting older and his big hits are starting to show. Chris could spell him and eventually replace him in the line up.

I could live with this...especially if they were able to somehow get K/P Henery as a UDFA...but that wont be happening...so thats the only thing i do not like. Maybe take Henery instead of Parker (who i do not know much at all about)...I dunno. But not bad though.

LLT
04-16-2011, 01:24 PM
The one thing I hate about Watkins is his age...he's like 26-27 years old...if it wasnt for that I wouldnt mind. No to #2, #3 I can deal with, #4 no, #5 I'm fine with, and the last 2 I dont know much about. I really dont like the overall look of this on. No DBs util round 5???? No DL until round 6-7? I dunno, haha.

LOL...dont get me wrong...that is TOTALLY a value draft and not anything close to what I want. That is why I made the argument that team need is part of the equation for finding the BPA.

I personally would pass on Watkins (I am hoping we trade down) If we dont trade down I would not be upset if we drafted either OLB Sam Acho or OLB Bruce Carter in the 2nd round.

If we DO trade down I hope we can get CB Dowling and OT Cannon

Texasteel
04-16-2011, 01:25 PM

R1) OG Danny Watkins
R2) OLB Sam Acho
R3) OT Marcus Gilbert
R4) RB Jamie Harper
R5) CB Chykie Brown
R6) DE David Carter
R7) NT Anthony Gray

Still not sure I'm sold on Watkins, but he seems to be a good player and with his maturity he might be ready to start sooner. I just want a new OG

I don't think we can wait till the 5th to pull the trigger on a CB. Plus Chykie seemed to get burnt a little to often for a kid this quick. I saw a couple of games that he looked a little lost. Might just need some coaching. He is sure quick enough.

Like the Sam pick, you've sold me on Gilbert, and I love the two late pick.

Chidi29
04-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Good mock Tex. No complaints about it. I really liked the Hurd pick. Reminds me a lot of Kemoeatu, at least, the good things about him. Extremely athletic for a guy of his size with a great first step that's a real asset on trap blocks. There are some things technically wrong with him; namely, a tendency to bend his waist because he's so tall, but it's good value in the fourth.

LLT
04-16-2011, 01:29 PM
Still not sure I'm sold on Watkins, but he seems to be a good player and with his maturity he might be ready to start sooner. I just want a new OG

I don't think we can wait till the 5th to pull the trigger on a CB. Plus Chykie seemed to get burnt a little to often for a kid this quick. I saw a couple of games that he looked a little lost. Might just need some coaching. He is sure quick enough.

Like the Sam pick, you've sold me on Gilbert, and I love the two late pick.

The thing with Watkins is...I dont see enough of a seperation between him and Will Rackley for me to justify a first round pick on him.

7willBheaven
04-16-2011, 01:30 PM
LOL...dont get me wrong...that is TOTALLY a value draft and not anything close to what I want. That is why I made the argument that team need is part of the equation for finding the BPA.

I personally would pass on Watkins (I am hoping we trade down) If we dont trade down I would not be upset if we drafted either OLB Sam Acho or OLB Bruce Carter in the 2nd round.

If we DO trade down I hope we can get CB Dowling and OT Cannon

Oh yeah....I know you based it on that...I'm just saying I would not like it if THEY did it like that haha.

I really dont think they need another second round OLB for the second year in a row though. Yes they lost Gibson (which still irks me to this day)...but if they really want another OLB they can get one later I think. I wouldnt complain about Dowling and Cannon as the first 2 picks...that would be great...especially since Cannon can play OT and OG.

Texasteel
04-16-2011, 01:50 PM
The thing with Watkins is...I dont see enough of a seperation between him and Will Rackley for me to justify a first round pick on him.

I agree, but you started talking about Rackley to soon, he may cost us a 2nd now.

steelerfan
04-16-2011, 01:50 PM
I like NFLDraftscout as well guys. But CDS is also very respected. As it goes to Draftscout, here is there updated top-750 players

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/top750.php?draftyear=2011&sortby=rateall&order=ASC&startspot=125

Look at where they rank Barksdale.

Barksdale, Joseph (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/profile.php?pyid=68510) http://www.nfldraftscout.com/images/same.gifOT (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/players.php?genpos=OT&draftyear=2011&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC), LSU (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/playersbyteam.php?DSTeamId=91&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC) 4 6-5325 5.31 3.03 1.84 29 29 08'07" 4.75 8.27 http://www.tsxdata.com/NFL/mugs/68510.jpg Joseph Barksdale heading into Sr season: 2010: Switched from right tackle to left tackle as a senior, starting all 13 games for the Tigers at that position ... Ran his streak of consecutive starts to a team-best 39 ... Earned second team All-SEC honors from both the league's coaches and the AP ... Played a total of 853 snaps from scrimmage with 49 knockdowns ...2009: LSU’s starting right tackle for second-straight season ... Has started 25-straight games at right tackle for the Tigers, including 12 in 2009 ... Leads all offensive linemen with 735 plays from scrimmage in 2009 ... Played every snap in LSU’s last four games ...2008: Started all 13 games for the Tigers at right tackle ... Helped anchor an offensive line that paved the way for an LSU rushing attack that ranked No. 4 in the SEC with 166.8 yards per game ... Played a total of 897 snaps from scrimmage, the most of any offensive linemen for the Tigers ... Graded out at 80 percent or better in 10 of LSU’s 13 games, which included a season-high 86 percent against North Texas ... Finished year with 34 knockdown blocks ... Played every offensive snap in eight of LSU’s 13 games ...2007: Served as the Tigers’ backup to Carnell Stewart at right tackle ... Played in 14 games, including eight in a backup role on the offensive line ... Starter on special teams for the Tigers in both point-after and field goal situations ... Saw action in a total of 57 snaps from scrimmage on offense and then another 98 on special teams ... Lined up in the backfield in short-yardage and

136th. And last time I checked, that was in round 5 guys. Look, I like his upside. But in round 3, anywhere in round 3, even according to Draftscout is ridiculous. Bottom of the 4th round, okay maybe I could see depending on who's still around. But not in the 3rd...sorry.

Texasteel
04-16-2011, 01:59 PM
I like NFLDraftscout as well guys. But CDS is also very respected. As it goes to Draftscout, here is there updated top-750 players

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/top750.php?draftyear=2011&sortby=rateall&order=ASC&startspot=125

136th. And last time I checked, that was in round 5 guys. Look, I like his upside. But in round 3, anywhere in round 3, even according to Draftscout is ridiculous. Bottom of the 4th round, okay maybe I could see depending on who's still around. But not in the 3rd...sorry.

Try looking at the projected draft position. It is 4th round, and as I stated I think early 4th, late 3rd.

steelerfan
04-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Try looking at the projected draft position. It is 4th round, and as I stated I think early 4th, late 3rd.

Texasteel, that very well may be. But if it came down to Barksdale being around when we picked in the 4th round, and Demarcus Love still there, I will take Love every day of the week. Anyone who watched the SEC this year or the last three years would have seen Love is clearly way better then Barksdale...not even close.

LLT
04-16-2011, 02:35 PM

Barksdale, Joseph (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/profile.php?pyid=68510) http://www.nfldraftscout.com/images/same.gifOT (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/players.php?genpos=OT&draftyear=2011&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC), LSU (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/playersbyteam.php?DSTeamId=91&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC) 4 6-5325 5.31 3.03 1.84 29 29 08'07" 4.75 8.27 http://www.tsxdata.com/NFL/mugs/68510.jpg Joseph Barksdale heading into Sr season: 2010: Switched from right tackle to left tackle as a senior, starting all 13 games for the Tigers at that position ... Ran his streak of consecutive starts to a team-best 39 ... Earned second team All-SEC honors from both the league's coaches and the AP ... Played a total of 853 snaps from scrimmage with 49 knockdowns ...2009: LSU’s starting right tackle for second-straight season ... Has started 25-straight games at right tackle for the Tigers, including 12 in 2009 ... Leads all offensive linemen with 735 plays from scrimmage in 2009 ... Played every snap in LSU’s last four games ...2008: Started all 13 games for the Tigers at right tackle ... Helped anchor an offensive line that paved the way for an LSU rushing attack that ranked No. 4 in the SEC with 166.8 yards per game ... Played a total of 897 snaps from scrimmage, the most of any offensive linemen for the Tigers ... Graded out at 80 percent or better in 10 of LSU’s 13 games, which included a season-high 86 percent against North Texas ... Finished year with 34 knockdown blocks ... Played every offensive snap in eight of LSU’s 13 games ...2007: Served as the Tigers’ backup to Carnell Stewart at right tackle ... Played in 14 games, including eight in a backup role on the offensive line ... Starter on special teams for the Tigers in both point-after and field goal situations ... Saw action in a total of 57 snaps from scrimmage on offense and then another 98 on special teams ... Lined up in the backfield in short-yardage and

1) Like Tex said...you are confusing player ranking with projected draft round

2) You are failing to consider WHERE we draft in those rounds. (Which is at the end), so a player ranked at #136 would be a legitimate late 4th round prospect.

3) Last year Emmanuel Sanders was ranked #147 overall but was drafted at #82 ....Stevenson Sylvester was ranked #402 overall and was drafted at #166....Jonathan Dwyer was ranked #73 overall and was drafted at #188........

If you get too legalistic in your approach to draft prospects you start ignoring production and the "eye test" that I mentioned earlier. You have to make some of these projections on your own evaluations.

steelerfan
04-16-2011, 02:44 PM
LLT, Sanders is not a good example cause yes, he was ranked as a 5th rounder early on, but with a few weeks to go before the draft, after his individual workouts and the senior bowl, Sanders proved that he could run crisp routes, and had great speed. Both Kiper and Gil Brandt had him as a top-100 player. So he going in round 3 was right where he was projected. Of course like I said, you never know what any GM is thinking. One mans trash is another mans treasure,,,as they say :-)

steelerfan
04-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Well Tex and LLT, like I said it's all about OPINIONS! Below is a recent list of the BEST OT's in this draft. Pay close attention to who they list in the top-3, and who they have at # 17
I wonder if you and Texasteel would agree :crazy:

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/y/nfl-draft/positions/offensive-tackles.php

7willBheaven
04-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Wow this turned from Texas' mock thread into bickering where players will be drafted, haha.

Basically a long story/process/etc short....the draft is a guessing game...everyone has their predictions where players will go. And teams have certain value on some players. A team may value a 6th round guy as a 3rd round guy. And as LLT said overall player rank is only a small part of it...you have to look at that players rank at his position...thats a very important piece...as a player may be ranked 150th overall...but 3rd at his position. So say a player is the 3rd ranked RB but 150th overall...in most cases that player will be draft much sooner than 150th...he could be taken in the top 25...all depends on team needs and such too. You gotta look at ALL factors, overall rank, positional rank, the "eye test" as LLT put it, team needs, teams position(s) in the draft...everything!!! So a player ranked as a 4th rounder is not a reach to go at the end of the 3rd.

Texasteel
04-16-2011, 03:06 PM
Texasteel, that very well may be. But if it came down to Barksdale being around when we picked in the 4th round, and Demarcus Love still there, I will take Love every day of the week. Anyone who watched the SEC this year or the last three years would have seen Love is clearly way better then Barksdale...not even close.

Again we will disagree. Believe it or not I do watch some football games. In fact I watch a lot of LSU. At the end of last year Barksdale was mentioned by some as a potental 1st round pick. Just as Love was considered 1st round, but as the year went along weaknesses were found in both players. I do prefer Barksdale but that doesn't make me wrong or right at this moment. Nor does it mean I haven't see them play.

steelerfan
BTW LLT, here's that sites list of the BEST CB's in the draft :nono:

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/y/nfl-draft/positions/corner-backs.php

7willBheaven
Well Tex and LLT, like I said it's all about OPINIONS! Below is a recent list of the BEST OT's in this draft. Pay close attention to who they list in the top-3, and who they have at # 17
I wonder if you and Texasteel would agree :crazy:

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/y/nfl-draft/positions/offensive-tackles.php

If you look over all the different rankings on this site...its EASY to tell it has not been updated in quite a while. I come across sites that havent been updated since the beginning of the 2010 season. I mean look at the CB rankings...they dont even have Peterson and Prince in the top 5....looks like this was done before the Dowling injury and such...so its quite old.

Also I usually stay away from a lot of fantasy football sites...as it seems a lot of them are out of date...not all but a lot. Stay with the bigger more well known or updated ones.

steelerfan
04-16-2011, 03:08 PM
I like Barksdale Tex, I mentioned him before I saw anyone else. But he does have some issues. And he might have already peaked. But I like him. Just not in round 3 is all.

Texasteel
04-16-2011, 03:31 PM
I like Barksdale Tex, I mentioned him before I saw anyone else. But he does have some issues. And he might have already peaked. But I like him. Just not in round 3 is all.

Oh I understand bud. We all will disagree on some players, and you will not offend me by not thinking the way I do. Believe in or not that does happen,,,,,,,,,,,,, often.

LLT
04-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Wow this turned from Texas' mock thread into bickering where players will be drafted, haha.

Basically a long story/process/etc short....the draft is a guessing game...everyone has their predictions where players will go. And teams have certain value on some players. A team may value a 6th round guy as a 3rd round guy. And as LLT said overall player rank is only a small part of it...you have to look at that players rank at his position...thats a very important piece...as a player may be ranked 150th overall...but 3rd at his position. So say a player is the 3rd ranked RB but 150th overall...in most cases that player will be draft much sooner than 150th...he could be taken in the top 25...all depends on team needs and such too. You gotta look at ALL factors, overall rank, positional rank, the "eye test" as LLT put it, team needs, teams position(s) in the draft...everything!!! So a player ranked as a 4th rounder is not a reach to go at the end of the 3rd.

Exactly...and we have to realize that teams understand their own scheme better then scouts outside of their organization do. The same player that will thrive in the Steelers schemes may lay an egg with other teams.. Or vise versa.

IN 2009 most of the scouts listed 6'5 296 lb Jarron Gilbert as a DT and he was drafted by the Bears , where he was TOTALLY miscast in their 4-3 defense. Gilbert's talents and abilities were virtually a perfect fit for a 5 technique DE in a 3-4 scheme.

He was cut by the Bears, after the predictable failure to fit their scheme....and now is on the practice squad for the Jets. Who run a 3-4 defense.

Scouts might under-value (or over-value) a player by trying to "cookie cutter" him into a general scheme. The whole concept of a "general scheme" is a fallacy and that same player will recieve a higher draft ranking from one team...and a much lower one on another.

Teams value boards are never set up like the values boards we all see on the internet. They are team specific.

LLT
04-17-2011, 08:54 AM
If you look over all the different rankings on this site...its EASY to tell it has not been updated in quite a while. I come across sites that havent been updated since the beginning of the 2010 season. I mean look at the CB rankings...they dont even have Peterson and Prince in the top 5....looks like this was done before the Dowling injury and such...so its quite old.

Also I usually stay away from a lot of fantasy football sites...as it seems a lot of them are out of date...not all but a lot. Stay with the bigger more well known or updated ones.

Bingo....after a while you know which ones you can trust.