PDA

View Full Version : Okay, Trivia Time!!

steelerfan
04-15-2011, 12:34 PM
I'm bored...no draft talk going on in the other board. So I thought I would ask the experts here,,,mainly LLT :clap2: a trivia question.

What former steeler players played in the same college backfield, and then went to the steelers, and had several years playing together there ?

Lets see who can get the answer the fastest.

fansince'76
04-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Frank Pollard and Walter Abercrombie (Baylor)?

zulater
04-15-2011, 02:06 PM
I'm bored...no draft talk going on in the other board. So I thought I would ask the experts here,,,mainly LLT :clap2: a trivia question.

What former steeler players played in the same college backfield, and then went to the steelers, and had several years playing together there ?

Lets see who can get the answer the fastest.

Who is Rocky Bleire and Terry Hanratty Alex?

SteelerSal
04-15-2011, 02:10 PM

Was it Greg Hawthorne and Ambercrombie?? Hawthorne was drafted as a RB but converted to WR.

zulater
04-15-2011, 02:12 PM
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/notre-dame/1967-roster.html

I think I got it right, the key here is they played in the same backfield, there was no specificity that both players were running backs. And Hanratty and Rocky both went to Notre Dame at the same time, one a quarterback, one a running back.

steelerfan
04-15-2011, 05:11 PM

WINNER-WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER!!!

zulater
04-15-2011, 06:42 PM
I was right too. Bleier and Hanratty were absolutley in the same backfield AT Notre Dame (66-67), and they did in fact play together with the Steelers from 70-75. I'm taking credit whether you want to give it to me or not, because I was in fact correct! :tongue1:

Now I'm going to ask a question that only has one right answer.

Who was the first Steeler to score in a Super Bowl?

Chidi29
04-15-2011, 06:47 PM
I was right too. Bleier and Hanratty were absolutley in the same backfield AT Notre Dame (66-67), and they did in fact play together with the Steelers from 70-75. I'm taking credit whether you want to give it to me or not, because I was in fact correct! :tongue1:

Now I'm going to ask a question that only has one right answer.

Who was the first Steeler to score in a Super Bowl?

Dwight White, recording a safety. Not bad for a guy who had been in the hospital all week with pnemonuia.

zulater
04-15-2011, 06:49 PM
OK for extra credit, and without checking the box score, who had the most sacks for the Steelers in SB IX?

Chidi29
04-15-2011, 06:54 PM
OK for extra credit, and without checking the box score, who had the most sacks for the Steelers in SB IX?

Eh, you got me there. I'll just guess Ernie Holmes.

zulater
04-15-2011, 06:58 PM
Eh, you got me there. I'll just guess Ernie Holmes.

Wrong, but don't feel bad it was a trick question.:chuckle: Believe it or not the Steelers defense didn't record even one sack in Super Bowl IX.

zulater
04-15-2011, 07:29 PM
The Steelers have only officially retired one number in their history, that being Ernie Stautner's number 70. But the Steelers have seven additional numbers that they've taken out of circulation, ( possibly 8 as #36 hasn't been issued since Bettis retired) name the numbers and the players they belonged to? And for additional credit which of those numbers got mistakenly issued for one season, and to what player?

fansince'76
04-15-2011, 08:42 PM
Wrong, but don't feel bad it was a trick question.:chuckle: Believe it or not the Steelers defense didn't record even one sack in Super Bowl IX.

They made up for it in SB X, though. :tt02:

zulater
04-15-2011, 08:51 PM
They made up for it in SB X, though. :tt02:

No doubt, they sacked Roger the Dodger ( Staubach) 7 times in SB X. But all the same despite the lack of sacks the defensive performance of the Steelers in SB IX when one considers quality of opponent, was probably the best ever in a Super Bowl that game.

Chidi29
04-15-2011, 08:52 PM
The Steelers have only officially retired one number in their history, that being Ernie Stautner's number 70. But the Steelers have seven additional numbers that they've taken out of circulation, ( possibly 8 as #36 hasn't been issued since Bettis retired) name the numbers and the players they belonged to? And for additional credit which of those numbers got mistakenly issued for one season, and to what player?

Don't think I know all the numbers but I'll give some.

12 (Bradshaw), 58 (Lambert), 59 (Ham), 52 (Webster), 75 (Greene), 47 (Blount)

Zero for Johnny Clement? :chuckle:

I'm pretty sure Scott Shields wore 47. Not sure if that's an accident or not.

zulater
04-15-2011, 08:57 PM
Don't think I know all the numbers but I'll give some.

12 (Bradshaw), 58 (Lambert), 59 (Ham), 52 (Webster), 75 (Greene), 47 (Blount)

Zero for Johnny Clement? :chuckle:

I'm pretty sure Scott Shields wore 47. Not sure if that's an accident or not.

You got 5 of them right but missed on Blount. Number 47 has been worn by 5 different players since Mel retired, and was issued as recently as 2006 to the forgetable Ron Stanley.

zulater
04-15-2011, 09:26 PM
2 still out there folks, one is so easy you'll kick yourself once you see who it is.

btw Ham's 59 was inexplicably issued to reserve linebacker Todd Seabagh in 1984, but hasn't been seen since, and wont be.

Chidi29
04-15-2011, 09:53 PM
2 still out there folks, one is so easy you'll kick yourself once you see who it is.

Totally blanked on it. 32, Franco. I feel dumb.

zulater
04-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Totally blanked on it. 32, Franco. I feel dumb.

Bingo! One left, it might surprise you who it is, but once you hear who it is it makes sense.

Hint ( since I'm getting ready to go to bed) he's not in the Hall of Fame.... yet, but he's getting oh so close.

solardave
04-16-2011, 02:08 AM
63 Dermonti Dawson

zulater
04-16-2011, 05:56 AM
63 Dermonti Dawson

Nailed it! 63 hasn't been issued since Dirt retired after the 2000 season. And I think there's a good chance that we wont be seeing 36 again, but being as it's only been since 2005 I figured it might be a bit early to make that leap just yet.

zulater
04-16-2011, 10:38 AM
Here's a couple draft day trivia related questions for Steeler fans.

The running back Chuck Noll wanted to draft in 72 rather than Franco Harris?

And who did Chuck Noll want to draft first in 74?

LLT
04-16-2011, 11:10 AM
Here's a couple draft day trivia related questions for Steeler fans.

The running back Chuck Noll wanted to draft in 72 rather than Franco Harris?

And who did Chuck Noll want to draft first in 74?

In 1972 Noll tried to convince his staff that he wanted to draft Robert Newsome...He actually wanted Harris all along but they didnt knwo that and had to "convince" him that Harris was the better player by proving they had done their homework.

I think the second part to your trivia is a trick question...The Steelers actually wanted to draft Stallworth with the first round pick...but the Steelers were the first to get the ONLY copy of Stallworths game tapes and conviently "lost" them ...they were convinced that the other teams wouldnt draft him until later without those tapes...so they drafted Swann first and picked up Stallworth in the third round.

Chidi29
04-16-2011, 12:45 PM
In 1972 Noll tried to convince his staff that he wanted to draft Robert Newsome...He actually wanted Harris all along but they didnt knwo that and had to "convince" him that Harris was the better player by proving they had done their homework.

I think the second part to your trivia is a trick question...The Steelers actually wanted to draft Stallworth with the first round pick...but the Steelers were the first to get the ONLY copy of Stallworths game tapes and conviently "lost" them ...they were convinced that the other teams wouldnt draft him until later without those tapes...so they drafted Swann first and picked up Stallworth in the third round.

And we were the only team to have an accurate 40 time on Stallworth. At A&M's Pro Day, it had been raining all day making for a slippery track. Stallworth's time reflected that. All of the scouts from the other teams left besides Bill Nunn. He stayed until the next day when the track was dry, had Stallworth run again, and got a much better and more accurate time.

One of many reasons why I think Nunn is one of the most underrated and influential players in Steelers' history.

st33lersguy
04-16-2011, 01:45 PM

Stallworth was picked in the fourth round

zulater
04-16-2011, 01:50 PM

Sounds like revisionist history on Noll's part to me. :chuckle: I seem to remember Art Rooney Jr ( Dan's brother, not son) telling it the other way.

Not a trick question, but you got it right all the same. Noll strongly considered drafting Stallworth first but was talked out of it when the scouting staff convinced him that John would still be available later due to the reasons you cited.

zulater
04-16-2011, 01:57 PM
Ok new question, Willie Parker holds the Steelers single game record for yards rushing with his 223 yard effort vs the Browns in 06. Who's record did he break, and what was the previous record?

SteelerSal
04-16-2011, 02:19 PM
Don't know the exact yards in the game but I think he broke Frenchy Fuqua's single game record.

HometownGal
04-16-2011, 03:19 PM
Ok new question, Willie Parker holds the Steelers single game record for yards rushing with his 223 yard effort vs the Browns in 06. Who's record did he break, and what was the previous record?

Was it Barry Foster's 190 rushing yards in 1992?

EDIT: Sal is indeed correct. FWP broke Frenchy's record of 218 yards against Filthadelphia in 1970. Good job Sal! :drink:

steelerfan
04-16-2011, 03:40 PM
Okay, what former Steeler player, who after we cut him, came to our Camp the following year, Mocking us while driving in a Limo ? ( True story to )

zulater
04-16-2011, 05:45 PM
Okay, what former Steeler player, who after we cut him, came to our Camp the following year, Mocking us while driving in a Limo ? ( True story to )

No idea?

steelerfan
04-16-2011, 05:51 PM
No idea?

Bam Morris. After his arrest in June of 96, we cut him coming off the Super Bowl where Bam was the leading rusher. Then, after Baltimore signed him, he was caught in a limo mocking the steelers and management for releasing him. Of course 4 arrests later, I guess WE had the last laugh huh ? :-)

GoSlash27
04-16-2011, 06:14 PM
Who was drafted and cut by the Steelers in '69 and went on to become famous in a completely different field?

86WARD
04-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Jack Kemp?

fansince'76
04-16-2011, 07:42 PM
Who was drafted and cut by the Steelers in '69 and went on to become famous in a completely different field?

Ed O'Neill (AKA Al Bundy)?

zulater
04-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Ed O'Neill (AKA Al Bundy)?

Aw, beat me to it, I knew that one.

steelerfan
04-16-2011, 10:18 PM
Ikay then,,,what steeler uniform number went the longest before being used again,,,and by what player ?

Okay...GO!!

zulater
04-16-2011, 10:44 PM
Ikay then,,,what steeler uniform number went the longest before being used again,,,and by what player ?

Okay...GO!!

Could it have been 8, and Tommy Maddox?

steelerfan
04-16-2011, 10:53 PM
Could it have been 8, and Tommy Maddox?

Very good. However, the number 8 was a pretty easy guess. Now, who was the last steeler to wear it, and when ?

zulater
04-23-2011, 06:08 AM
Very good. However, the number 8 was a pretty easy guess. Now, who was the last steeler to wear it, and when ?

Not a guess, reasonable deduction my friend. And by looking in my Steelers media guide I can further "deduce", that it was some dude named Everett Fisher in 1940.

Ok here's my question, which Steelers Hall of Famer wore a different uniform number his entire rookie season than what he wore the rest of his career, and what number was it?

zulater
04-23-2011, 01:16 PM
No one? Come on folks, it's easiar than you think, this was a all timer, a guy who really changed the culture of the franchise, so to speak. ( if no one gest it after that clue.... :doh: :frusty: :wink02:

Chidi29
04-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Joe Greene?

zulater
04-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Joe Greene?

Yep, he's the one.:high5: Now anyone know his rookie number?

steelerfan
04-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Good job guys. Here's a Lame one, you'll get it pretty easy.

Only steeler player to get an Interception, and throw an interception in the same game ?

zulater
04-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Good job guys. Here's a Lame one, you'll get it pretty easy.

Only steeler player to get an Interception, and throw an interception in the same game ?

Sounds like Tony Dungy to me.

zulater
04-23-2011, 06:02 PM
btw Joe Greene played with the #72 in his rookie season.

Borski
04-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Tony Dungy

Edit: looks like I was late to answer.

steelerfan
04-23-2011, 06:09 PM
Sounds like Tony Dungy to me.

You Da Man! Told you it was a Lame one :-(