PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger continues image makeover

stillers4me
04-13-2011, 04:42 PM
One year ago Ben Roethlisberger (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5536) was the talk of the NFL for all the wrong reasons. The Pittsburgh Steelers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers)' franchise quarterback faced his second sexual assault allegation in two years in addition to a huge image crisis.

Roethlisberger's public persona was so much in the dumps that even controversial rapper Eminem ripped the embattled quarterback (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/12648/morning-take-rapper-eminem-rips-ben) in one of his songs.

Endorsements dried up (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5082053) and a suspension was looming. Roethlisberger quickly went from hero to villain in Pittsburgh, and the Steelers were not happy about it (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/11610/steelers-art-rooney-ii-speaks). Not only that, Roethlisberger and the Steelers missed the playoffs in 2009 and flopped in defense of the team's sixth championship.

Down to his last strike, you wondered if Roethlisberger could recover. But one year later that dark cloud has lifted, and Roethlisberger has done a great job in a short time of getting his life and image back on track.

On the field, Roethlisberger was within a touchdown drive (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/24470/page/espntexas/error-prone-steelers-sealed-their-own-fate) of winning his third Super Bowl, which certainly sped up the process. But off the field he put a genuine effort into becoming a better teammate and more personable. In another significant step in Roethlisberger's life, he's getting married (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11097/1137642-66.stm) to his fiancé, Ashley Harlan, on July 23.

Now Roethlisberger is having a very quiet offseason for the first time in years, and that is exactly what he needs to continue his successful transformation.

"I think he's done a good job," said Chris Rosica, who is head of Rosica Public Relations (http://www.rosica.com/) in New Jersey, which specializes in image consulting for celebrities. "It's clearly been his actions that have led to the alteration in his image, and that's important." ..............

read more @ http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/39230/roethlisberger-continues-image-makeover

siss
04-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Its becoming a widely accepted notion that Ben's marriage has to do with his image. Has anyone in the media considered its not PR and that he is marrying for love? Or is everyone so cynical that people assume that he's just getting married for the hell of it and he's going to pull a Tiger in a few years?

I hate these back handed articles that you think are good, but still assume some guilt on Ben's part.

86WARD
04-13-2011, 07:39 PM
Image Makeover? Please...

fansince'76
04-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Or is everyone so cynical that people assume that he's just getting married for the hell of it and he's going to pull a Tiger in a few years.

In many cases, yes.

BigNastyDefense
04-13-2011, 08:21 PM
The problem is, in the end Ben Roethlisberger has brought the doubt on himself. He is the one who put himself in this position due to what he did or did not do in Georgia. The only two people who knows what really went on in that bar bathroom is Ben Roethlisberger and the girl. Not one of us fans, not any of Ben's teammates or opponents, and not the media.

If Ben had just stayed home and drank that night, or at the least didn't pursue a sexual encounter with this girl in a bar bathroom, nobody would be questioning his motives of getting married. Everyone was giving him a pass on the Nevada lawsuit (other than some other team's fans) due to the thought that that woman is a quack, but what happened in Georgia made the Nevada incident more believable.

Now me? I think that Ben Roethlisberger hit rock bottom with the Georgia incident and has made a sincere effort to clean up his act in the locker room and as a person in general. Word has it that Ben and Ashley have been friends for a good while and she stuck by him though these two incidents. I think that Ben knows better than to get married for the "hell of it". So I think that this is true love and he sincerely wants to marry her and spend the rest of his life with her.

But there will always be speculation and doubt because of Big Ben's past transgressions. He brought it on himself and I think he knows and accepts that.

steelerfan
04-13-2011, 08:34 PM
The problem is, in the end Ben Roethlisberger has brought the doubt on himself. He is the one who put himself in this position due to what he did or did not do in Georgia. The only two people who knows what really went on in that bar bathroom is Ben Roethlisberger and the girl. Not one of us fans, not any of Ben's teammates or opponents, and not the media.

If Ben had just stayed home and drank that night, or at the least didn't pursue a sexual encounter with this girl in a bar bathroom, nobody would be questioning his motives of getting married. Everyone was giving him a pass on the Nevada lawsuit (other than some other team's fans) due to the thought that that woman is a quack, but what happened in Georgia made the Nevada incident more believable.

Now me? I think that Ben Roethlisberger hit rock bottom with the Georgia incident and has made a sincere effort to clean up his act in the locker room and as a person in general. Word has it that Ben and Ashley have been friends for a good while and she stuck by him though these two incidents. I think that Ben knows better than to get married for the "hell of it". So I think that this is true love and he sincerely wants to marry her and spend the rest of his life with her.

But there will always be speculation and doubt because of Big Ben's past transgressions. He brought it on himself and I think he knows and accepts that.

Ben persued HER ? Go to the GBI website and read the official report. This girl and her friends said that THEY folloed Ben and his party to 3 different clubs before they got their attention, and invited them over. Now Ben may be Immature to try to have CONSENSUAL Sex in a public place yes. But I think alot of us here have probably done some stupid things like that. That is far and away from Rape. This girl, and her two friends totally changed their stories three different times in their Interviews with the GBI Investigators after they showed that parts of their story to the police were false. And this little Angel who cried Rape. She had a fake ID to get into this club. Had a Button that said DTF...do you know what that stands for ?

So please, this girl is NOT exactly Mother Teresa here. And combine that with the fact that there was ZERO evidence of forced sexual contact found on the girl in the medical examination means Ben didn't bring anything on. This girl and her friends just figured since there was an earlier story on Ben sexually assaulting that other woman in Nevada, that they figured that if they cried " WOLF "...that everyone would automatically believe them. The word that you might be looking for when it comes to that little " Angel "...just might be " WHORE "!!

BigNastyDefense
04-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Ben persued HER ? Go to the GBI website and read the official report. This girl and her friends said that THEY folloed Ben and his party to 3 different clubs before they got their attention, and invited them over. Now Ben may be Immature to try to have CONSENSUAL Sex in a public place yes. But I think alot of us here have probably done some stupid things like that. That is far and away from Rape. This girl, and her two friends totally changed their stories three different times in their Interviews with the GBI Investigators after they showed that parts of their story to the police were false. And this little Angel who cried Rape. She had a fake ID to get into this club. Had a Button that said DTF...do you know what that stands for ?

So please, this girl is NOT exactly Mother Teresa here. And combine that with the fact that there was ZERO evidence of forced sexual contact found on the girl in the medical examination means Ben didn't bring anything on. This girl and her friends just figured since there was an earlier story on Ben sexually assaulting that other woman in Nevada, that they figured that if they cried " WOLF "...that everyone would automatically believe them. The word that you might be looking for when it comes to that little " Angel "...just might be " WHORE "!!

I never ever said that Ben raped anyone, I never said that the girl wasn't pursuing him or wasn't at fault in the situation herself.

But he ended up in the bathroom with her, alone. That is fact. He said that they "messed around" and then she fell and hit her head.

Ben, in the end, put himself in that situation in Georgia. He made the choice to attempt a sexual encounter with her in that bathroom. While I don't believe he raped anyone, he isn't a saint himself either.

steelerfan
04-13-2011, 08:56 PM
I'll agree with that point. Like I said..Immature. But not criminal. I just hated the way the entire nation seemed to attack Ben, even after he was never arrested or charged even. And the way Goodell attacked him in his statement saying NONE of the actions Ben dispayed that night could be called intelligent and mature. And I thought that was unfair.
I mean in a league where we see countless and countless of players going out, getting drunk and then driving, and some even killing innocent people, Ben arranged two different cars to take him and his buddies out, and the drivers were not drinking. That right there shows me ALOT of maturity and sound thinking before hand.

And I am CERTAIN that the survivors of the people that L.Little and Donte Stallworth killed would agree with me there.

solardave
04-14-2011, 01:23 AM

I agree. It's not like he's getting married to a super model to conceal the fact that he's an over-rated gay QB or anything like that!!!

fansince'76
04-14-2011, 01:33 AM
I'll agree with that point. Like I said..Immature. But not criminal. I just hated the way the entire nation seemed to attack Ben, even after he was never arrested or charged even. And the way Goodell attacked him in his statement saying NONE of the actions Ben dispayed that night could be called intelligent and mature. And I thought that was unfair.

Not to mention a certain DA getting himself additional TV face time by going out of his way to "scold" Ben with a morality lecture during a news conference when he should have simply limited his statements to the fact that he didn't have enough evidence to bring charges and LEAVE IT AT THAT.

Craic
04-14-2011, 03:01 AM
I agree. It's not like he's getting married to a super model to conceal the fact that he's an over-rated gay QB or anything like that!!!

I thought he did that to cover the bald spot that is developing... or is that the long hair? I'm confused.

stillers4me
04-14-2011, 05:25 AM
I thought he did that to cover the bald spot that is developing... or is that the long hair? I'm confused.

Oh, snap. :chuckle: