PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Arians must walk tightrope this season

stillers4me
04-13-2011, 04:38 PM
York High graduate Bruce Arians suddenly finds himself walking a tightrope.

In a recent interview with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Pittsburgh Steelers' offensive coordinator was lavished with praise by the team's franchise quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger.

That's usually a good thing. Most offensive coordinators would love to have the loyalty and admiration of the team's two-time Super Bowl-winning QB.

But Roethlisberger also hit a major nerve within the Steelers' organization when he said that he - and Arians - would like to see the Steelers throw the ball more often.
That viewpoint, however, runs contrary to the philosophy favored by Steelers' president Art Rooney II - the man who signs the paychecks for Roethlisberger and Arians.............

Read more @ http://www.yorkdispatch.com/ci_17827713

Craic
04-13-2011, 04:46 PM
:rolleyes:

I really wish reporters would get quotes and stories RIGHT. Rooney did NOT say that we were to return to the run game, he said that he wanted to see the the offense run the ball MORE EFFECTIVELY. Ben wants to throw the ball more. AND? An offensive Coordinator that has a top, two time SB winning, numerous come from behind to win- type QB, want to put the ball in his hands more.. AND?

There's looking for a story, there's creating a story, then there's winging a bunch of dung at a wall and hope something sticks.

Then there is this story.

(Clarification- this post not direct at OP, but at the story itself--just wanted to be clear.)

Count Steeler
04-13-2011, 04:51 PM
There is no reason (except injuries) for this offense not to score 30 points a game. By air or by land, who cares. Get the ball in the end zone. On the other side of the ball, our defense is good enough to keep most opponents to 14 points max.

HometownGal
04-13-2011, 05:07 PM

I really wish reporters would get quotes and stories RIGHT. Rooney did NOT say that we were to return to the run game, he said that he wanted to see the the offense run the ball MORE EFFECTIVELY. Ben wants to throw the ball more. AND? An offensive Coordinator that has a top, two time SB winning, numerous come from behind to win- type QB, want to put the ball in his hands more.. AND?

There's looking for a story, there's creating a story, then there's winging a bunch of dung at a wall and hope something sticks.

(Clarification- this post not direct at OP, but at the story itself--just wanted to be clear.)

http://www.gbmusic.co.uk/GBHire/hire/Design/applause.gif

pepsyman1
04-13-2011, 09:36 PM
I just want them to be balanced enough that they can run OR pass based on what's gonna work best against whatever defense their facing....and I want them to be able to adjust if they realize their gameplan isn't working. If that means "air it out" go for it...if it's 30 mile an hour winds in Cleveland and their D line can't stop the run then I expect them to send Mendi and Redman right down their throats. Whatever works and don't be predictable. We have the talent to adjust the offense either way.

Count Steeler
04-13-2011, 09:51 PM
And of course, if there is no season, it is Arians' fault. ;)

fansince'76
04-14-2011, 01:23 AM

Naturally. :chuckle:

Texasteel
04-14-2011, 05:22 AM

Now Preach, you know darn well if someone put in print it has to be true. I mean, if it wasn't they would get fired. Wouldn't they?

steeldevil
04-14-2011, 11:01 AM
I really liked our offense this past season. Very balanced. I think our offense could be really good this season and seasons to come. Arains needs to call what will work. Period. Sometimes that may be 55 passes a game, sometimes 40 runs. Everyone needs to get rid of the egos and just worry about doing whatever it takes to put the ball in the endzone and win.

As long as we don't do something stupid like throw it over 50 times when it is like 0 degrees and the wind is blowing like crazy in Cleveland I think I will be ok. But something like that would never happen.....

Psycho Ward 86
04-14-2011, 04:37 PM
I hope he falls OFF the tightrope at the very end of next season...

SteelGhost
04-14-2011, 08:41 PM
Ohh, the offseason....

tube517
04-15-2011, 12:54 AM
It's Arians' fault that I am up at 1:54 am posting on this forum. Well, actually it is because this is an Arians thread.

:behindsofa:

Craic
04-15-2011, 02:33 AM
I hope he falls OFF the tightrope at the very end of next season...

I agree, why would we ever want to keep a coach around that has molded a QB to be one of the best in the business and has seen his offense in two SB's in four years.