PDA

View Full Version : Did you guys see what the guys on ESPN NFL Live just said ?

steelerfan
04-13-2011, 03:12 PM
They were talking about the RB position in the draft, and highlighting Mark Ingram. And they were saying that judging the RB position is very difficult cause you never know how a player will translate from college to the pros. And that sometimes a late, or UNDRAFTED player can have as much, or more success then a highly drafted player at the RB position. And Trey Wingo brought up Legarrette Blount of Tampa Bay, saying that the UNDRAFTED RB was the only undrafted RB to EVER run for 1,000 Yds + since 1967!! ( Huh )

I mean have these dudes ever hear of " Willie Parker " ?

And Trey Wingo is supposed to be a NFL Expert ? :nono:

SteelerSal
04-13-2011, 03:16 PM
I'm sure he meant in his rookie season....

steelerfan
04-13-2011, 03:19 PM

Maybe, but that's not what he said.

SMR
04-13-2011, 04:13 PM
Maybe, but that's not what he said.

You're right, he didn't say "rookie" and he needs to clarify himself or end up looking not-so-expertly.

Psycho Ward 86
04-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Priest Holmes? Yeah, they probably meant undrafted rookie.

It's really not an amazing achievement on Blount's part. Tampa Bay has a great O-line, and Blount was projected as a 1st-2nd round pick before he started throwing hay-makers after this games

LLT
04-13-2011, 05:12 PM
I might be wrong...but I THINK that Blount is the 2nd undrafted rookie to break 1,000 yards.

SteelerFanInStl
04-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Maybe they meant the first undrafted rookie who was cut by his first team and then gained 1000 yards? :lol:

LLT
04-13-2011, 05:27 PM
Just as I thought...Dominic Rhodes of the Colts was the first UDFA running back to rush for 1,000 yards as a rookie.

steelerfan
04-13-2011, 05:39 PM
Just as I thought...Dominic Rhodes of the Colts was the first UDFA running back to rush for 1,000 yards as a rookie.

So the bottom line is, even IF Trey Wingo meant to say " First undrafted rookie RB to rush for 1000 yds since 1967 "
Our Main Man LLT still STUCK it to him in his Face!!....Way to go LLT!

LLT
04-13-2011, 05:52 PM
So the bottom line is, even IF Trey Wingo meant to say " First undrafted rookie RB to rush for 1000 yds since 1967 "
Our Main Man LLT still STUCK it to him in his Face!!....Way to go LLT!

It was itching the back of my brain...and I couldnt remember which player it was.

fansince'76
04-13-2011, 06:06 PM

Considering the source was Disney Channel II (ESPN), I wouldn't be so sure....

zulater
04-13-2011, 06:11 PM
So what he was wrong, we all are on occasion. Personally I like Trey Wingo and think he does a good job. If we could, most of us would love to make a living doing what he's doing, and if we did I'm sure we'd make a mistake here and there. So let's quit being haters and not make a big deal out of every misstep.

LLT
04-13-2011, 06:26 PM
So what he was wrong, we all are on occasion. Personally I like Trey Wingo and think he does a good job. If we could, most of us would love to make a living doing what he's doing, and if we did I'm sure we'd make a mistake here and there. So let's quit being haters and not make a big deal out of every misstep.

I was wrong once.

.....just once. It had something to do with a mule...a dwarf...a mirror...and a bucket full of water balloons.

I miss college.

SteelerSal
04-13-2011, 10:05 PM
I was wrong once.

.....just once. It had something to do with a mule...a dwarf...a mirror...and a bucket full of water balloons.

I miss college.

:lol:

solardave
04-14-2011, 01:18 AM
Maybe they meant the first undrafted rookie who was cut by his first team and then gained 1000 yards? :lol:

Maybe he meant undrafted rookie who throws haymakers.:eyebrows:

cold-hard-steel
04-14-2011, 10:02 AM
.......or maybe the only undrafted player from the Oregon ducks.

Steelers33
04-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Priest Holmes? Yeah, they probably meant undrafted rookie.

It's really not an amazing achievement on Blount's part. Tampa Bay has a great O-line, and Blount was projected as a 1st-2nd round pick before he started throwing hay-makers after this games

really? i think it was an amazing achievement. you should look at the film and see how many tackles he broke. dont take anything away from him. he had a hell of a year with the help of the line, but that can be said about any running back. so it was indeed an amazing achievement

steeldevil
04-14-2011, 05:04 PM
Blount is a beast. If he can avoid punching people he could be a great one. Guy is a powerful runner.

tube517
04-15-2011, 12:55 AM
Trey Wingo sucks. BSPN sucks. Period.

zulater
04-15-2011, 06:01 AM
We only like ESPN, Fox, NFL.com, etc when they say good things about the Steelers I suppose. Well some of you do anyway, personally I'm not looking for a Steelers pep rally when I go to that site or listen to them on the radio or watch on TV. I'm looking for general overall sports information presented in an entertaining fashion, and for the most part I think they deliver. Steelers.com is always there if all we're looking for is a Steelers positive vibe..

LLT
04-15-2011, 08:01 AM
We only like ESPN, Fox, NFL.com, etc when they say good things about the Steelers I suppose. Well some of you do anyway, personally I'm not looking for a Steelers pep rally when I go to that site or listen to them on the radio or watch on TV. I'm looking for general overall sports information presented in an entertaining fashion, and for the most part I think they deliver. Steelers.com is always there if all we're looking for is a Steelers positive vibe..

The problem with ESPN is that they have no true competition. Their product would be better if some entity like Sporting News could field a legitimate television network.

fansince'76
04-15-2011, 08:04 AM
The problem with ESPN is that they have no true competition. Their product would be better if some entity like Sporting News could field a legitimate television network.

ESPN was a great network before they were taken over by Disney. It steadily went downhill from there because to me, they started emphasizing the "E" instead of the "S" in their name more and more from that point forward. There's already an "E!" network and there wasn't a need for another one with a "sports twist." Do you really think they would've aired some fluff back in the '80s like Tom Brady's recent crying jag because he was "forced to wait" until the sixth round to be picked? I seriously doubt it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-15-2011, 10:04 AM

Exactly! Leave it up to sports fans to split hairs over "undrafted player or undrafted rookie", just to find a reason to hate.

zulater
04-15-2011, 01:28 PM
ESPN was a great network before they were taken over by Disney. It steadily went downhill from there because to me, they started emphasizing the "E" instead of the "S" in their name more and more from that point forward. There's already an "E!" network and there wasn't a need for another one with a "sports twist." Do you really think they would've aired some fluff back in the '80s like Tom Brady's recent crying jag because he was "forced to wait" until the sixth round to be picked? I seriously doubt it.

They're a business, they're in it to make money. So of course they're going to put a little more emphasis on the entertainment aspect to draw in a more diverse audience. To some extent maybe they do take the hard core sports enthusiast for granted, but that's probably true for most things in life.

steel striker
04-15-2011, 09:39 PM
ESPN= fountain of misinformation. Most of the timne they are horrible and, I especially dislike Michelle Beattle.

NCSteeler
04-16-2011, 04:40 AM
Ok, so many hate ESPN, what then is the alternative sports TV?