PDA

View Full Version : Blaine Sumner/NT Colorado Mines

Chidi29
04-12-2011, 09:02 PM
To answer your first question, yes, that is an actual college. I didn't believe it either.

I've mentioned another prospect from there, Marc Schiechi a DE/OLB who put up monster numbers.

I stumbled upon another awesome prospect from the school. Nose tackle Blaine Sumner. Although I do want to note that I never got to watch a full game of Sumner like I did of Schiechi.

I, and maybe you have too, originally read the headline of him putting up 52 reps at 225 at his Pro Day. Have to admit I forgot about it and only randomly came across his name again today. Decided to take a look at him.

Sumner. Is. A. Beast.

There's no other way of putting it.

Yes, it is D-II against smaller and lighter lineman but he dominated them which is what you're looking for when evaluating small school players. If you can't have success at that level, you're likely not going to at the pro level.

Measurables

- 6'1/2" 335 pounds
- Don't have an arm length but they look very short. Doug Legursky is laughing at him.
- 5.35 forty, 3.06 and 1.82 in the 20 and 10 yard splits respectively.
- 52 reps of 225 (nfldraftscout has 49 listed but still...)
- Vertical: 32 inches (Would've been better than any DT at the Combine)
- Broad Jump: 9'5"
- 4.85 short shuttle
- 7.87 in 3 cone drill

* These numbers aren't likely to be hedged either. He didn't stay at school for his Pro Day. He went to Air Force's Pro Day.

Background

- His Dad was a professional weightlifter. This is important for later.
- He was a skinny kid coming into high school, put on the pounds, and turned into a 250 pound linebacker for his Prep School. He played linebacker, guard, tackle, a wedgebuster on kicks, and on the return unit on punts.
- He said in an interview he was "All State" though considering the little exposure he got, maybe he meant All-Conference? Either way, he had a fairly successful high school career.

Here is a video on him. Not that it matters a lot but the most interesting thing I see is his build. He looked like a kid that still had a lot of growing to do. Still hadn't filled into his body.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCPfaPYXwzA

College

- My biggest question I had after watching him was how in the world did he wind up at a tiny school like Colorado Mines?

According to him, he played at a very tiny high school that didn't get much exposure. The only offers he had were all at the Division-II level. He chose Colorado based on education, majoring in petroleum engineering.

It sounds like he chose a pretty good school for that.

His stats

'07: 33 total tackles, 7 TFLs, 6.5 sacks.
'08: 32-4.5-1.5
'09: 33-7-4, along with 2 hurries and a FR.
'10: 32-6.5-.5, along with 2 FRs, and 3 blocked kicks.

Also ran the ball in short-yardage situations. Apparently is 8/8 in goalline situations, and 19/20 in short-yard situations.

Roles

Primarily a nose tackle, of course. Was the plugger, taking on double and triple-teams. Literal triple teams where three offensive lineman were blocking him and still COULD NOT push him back.

It does appear he was used in a few other defensive schemes which I was happy to see. I saw one highlight of him at end, shaded to the outside of the right tackle, and saw some stunting from his NT position.

Like I said, he was a short-yardage back which shows a good first step. Used as a lead blocker as well and even would block and release out into the flats.

Also has experience long-snapping. This guy has done everything but hand out the towels.

Ability

Again, this is based off of just highlights so you can't so anything definite but here's what I got.

Pro:
- Immensely strong, throws lineman around
- Really liked his first step. Carried over from his days playing at linebacker.
- Great motor, doesn't quit on the play
- Gets pretty good leverage, using his shorter height
- Very hard hitter
- Decent use of his hands when pass rushing
- Will get his hands up and bat down passes, shows awareness
- Stays square to the ball, even when double-teamed. Doesn't get blown out

Con:
- Short arms, will have to get close to lineman to engage
- Not going to offer a ton as a pass rusher, obviously
- Can play out of control at times (Think of Danny Bateman from The Replacements)
- According to him in an interview, he thought his technique was sloppy. He said he needs to use his hands better and that he was hurt by having three DL coaches in four years who taught him different styles and techniques.

Strength

Like I said, his dad was a weightlifter. His son has picked up where he left off. Here's a few clips of him lifting.

1000 Pound Squat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6m2CkizFYs (Ignore the awful music)

635 Pound Bench Press

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHjShlX2jOg&feature=related

904 Pound Squat (AMERICAN RECORD, previously stood for 15 years according to video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0Sn4O8dVW4&feature=related

Video of him doing 50 reps. Looks like he's arching his back which isn't proper technique, right? Still pretty impressive nonetheless

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yc66P9aWE4 (starts at 0:16).
---------------

This isn't a guarantee that he can translate that but based off the tape, it looks like he can.

Highlights

There's a couple highlight videos on Youtube. Here's the best one and it starts with some of the lifts that I have linked in the videos above to verify that the weights are correct.

It's a long video but really well done and you can see a lot of different aspects of him.

If you don't want to watch the whole thing, that's cool, but you HAVE to watch the last minute of what he does as the long-snapper. Frickin' awesome to watch and had me laughing. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to play against this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CObtOq1MRA

Chidi29
04-12-2011, 09:10 PM
Cliffnotes

Know that was a lot thrown out in one post. That's me getting giddy about a prospect.

Bottom line is that he's an ox with what looks like a great work ethic. Tape shows him running down every play and being a lifter, he's not the one to sit around and do nothing in his time off. If he were in the league right now during the lockout, he wouldn't be sitting on his couch. He'd be training for weightlifitng. He said so in an interview I'll link to.

He's a little too aggressive but get the right coach who can have him harness that for between the whistles, like DL coach John Mitchell, and you're set.

Don't like to make this claim and I'm not doing so but I'd check him once for steroids. Doubt he is doing it since he is participating in competitions where they check for these things (right?) but anytime you get a guy that strong in the world we live in, you have to do it.

He is the Steelers 7th round pick in my mock. Whoever gets him will be happy.

Other videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D38T-0I24s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yc66P9aWE4&feature=related

Link to interview with nfldraftbible

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Draft-Bible-Q-A/podcast-blaine-sumner-colorado-mines.html

steelerfan
04-12-2011, 09:17 PM
To answer your first question, yes, that is an actual college. I didn't believe it either.

I've mentioned another prospect from there, Marc Schiechi a DE/OLB who put up monster numbers.

I stumbled upon another awesome prospect from the school. Nose tackle Blaine Sumner. Although I do want to note that I never got to watch a full game of Sumner like I did of Schiechi.

I, and maybe you have too, originally read the headline of him putting up 52 reps at 225 at his Pro Day. Have to admit I forgot about it and only randomly came across his name again today. Decided to take a look at him.

Sumner. Is. A. Beast.

There's no other way of putting it.

Yes, it is D-II against smaller and lighter lineman but he dominated them which is what you're looking for when evaluating small school players. If you can't have success at that level, you're likely not going to at the pro level.

Measurables

- 6'1/2" 335 pounds
- Don't have an arm length but they look very short. Doug Legursky is laughing at him.
- 5.35 forty, 3.06 and 1.82 in the 20 and 10 yard splits respectively.
- 52 reps of 225 (nfldraftscout has 49 listed but still...)
- Vertical: 32 inches (Would've been better than any DT at the Combine)
- Broad Jump: 9'5"
- 4.85 short shuttle
- 7.87 in 3 cone drill

* These numbers aren't likely to be hedged either. He didn't stay at school for his Pro Day. He went to Air Force's Pro Day.

Background

- His Dad was a professional weightlifter. This is important for later.
- He was a skinny kid coming into high school, put on the pounds, and turned into a 250 pound linebacker for his Prep School. He played linebacker, guard, tackle, a wedgebuster on kicks, and on the return unit on punts.
- He said in an interview he was "All State" though considering the little exposure he got, maybe he meant All-Conference? Either way, he had a fairly successful high school career.

Here is a video on him. Not that it matters a lot but the most interesting thing I see is his build. He looked like a kid that still had a lot of growing to do. Still hadn't filled into his body.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCPfaPYXwzA

College

- My biggest question I had after watching him was how in the world did he wind up at a tiny school like Colorado Mines?

According to him, he played at a very tiny high school that didn't get much exposure. The only offers he had were all at the Division-II level. He chose Colorado based on education, majoring in petroleum engineering.

It sounds like he chose a pretty good school for that.

His stats

'07: 33 total tackles, 7 TFLs, 6.5 sacks.
'08: 32-4.5-1.5
'09: 33-7-4, along with 2 hurries and a FR.
'10: 32-6.5-.5, along with 2 FRs, and 3 blocked kicks.

Also ran the ball in short-yardage situations. Apparently is 8/8 in goalline situations, and 19/20 in short-yard situations.

Roles

Primarily a nose tackle, of course. Was the plugger, taking on double and triple-teams. Literal triple teams where three offensive lineman were blocking him and still COULD NOT push him back.

It does appear he was used in a few other defensive schemes which I was happy to see. I saw one highlight of him at end, shaded to the outside of the right tackle, and saw some stunting from his NT position.

Like I said, he was a short-yardage back. Used as a lead blocker as well and even would block and release out into the flats.

Also has experience long-snapping. This guy has done everything but hand out the towels.

Ability

Again, this is based off of just highlights so you can't so anything definite but here's what I got.

Pro:
- Immensely strong, throws lineman around
- Really liked his first step. Carried over from his days playing at linebacker.
- Great motor, doesn't quit on the play
- Gets pretty good leverage, using his shorter height
- Very hard hitter
- Decent use of his hands when pass rushing
- Will get his hands up and bat down passes, shows awareness
- Stays square to the ball, even when double-teamed. Doesn't get blown out

Con:
- Short arms, will have to get close to lineman to engage
- Not going to offer a ton as a pass rusher, obviously
- Can play out of control at times (Think of Danny Bateman from The Replacements)
- According to him in an interview, he thought his technique was sloppy. He said he needs to use his hands better and that he was hurt by having three DL coaches in four years who taught him different styles and techniques.

Strength

Like I said, his dad was a weightlifter. His son has picked up where he left off. Here's a few clips of him lifting.

1000 Pound Squat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6m2CkizFYs (Ignore the awful music)

635 Pound Bench Press

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHjShlX2jOg&feature=related

904 Pound Squat (AMERICAN RECORD, previously stood for 15 years according to video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0Sn4O8dVW4&feature=related

Video of him doing 50 reps. Looks like he's arching his back which isn't proper technique, right? Still pretty impressive nonetheless

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yc66P9aWE4 (starts at 0:16).
---------------

This isn't a guarantee that he can translate that but based off the tape, it looks like he can.

Highlights

There's a couple highlight videos on Youtube. Here's the best one and it starts with some of the lifts that I have linked in the videos above to verify that the weights are correct.

It's a long video but really well done and you can see a lot of different aspects of him.

If you don't want to watch the whole thing, that's cool, but you HAVE to watch the last minute of what he does as the long-snapper. Frickin' awesome to watch and had me laughing. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to play against this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CObtOq1MRA

Well thanks but, I can tell you right now that the Squat record is way higher then that. I know Tom Platz did 1600 + Lbs on the Squat years ago. And anyways, there was a guy at the combine,,Larson I think, and I remember him doing a 1=time Max bench of 735 Lbs. And he did like 50 Reps at 225 ;bs before he stopped it ( Cause he was bored )..and he never did anytghing in the league. Also, this kid looks " Manufactured strong "...meanning " Roids "

I mean if you are suggesting a camp invite, I'm fine with that. But no way is this kid worth even a late 7th round pick. Remember, this is Football, not weightlifting. Sure strength is good. But you need some skill as well.

The Duke
04-12-2011, 09:25 PM
damn, excellent find man. Where is he projected to go? I'd guess UDFA right? Could go the Chris Hoke route

He chose Colorado based on education, majoring in petroleum engineering.

Awesome, at least he's not a moron that would be on the street without football

Well there's our fullback! :chuckle:

Chidi29
04-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Well thanks but, I can tell you right now that the Squat record is way higher then that. I know Tom Platz did 1600 + Lbs on the Squat years ago. And anyways, there was a guy at the combine,,Larson I think, and I remember him doing a 1=time Max bench of 735 Lbs. And he did like 50 Reps at 225 ;bs before he stopped it ( Cause he was bored )..and he never did anytghing in the league. Also, this kid looks " Manufactured strong "...meanning " Roids "

I mean if you are suggesting a camp invite, I'm fine with that. But no way is this kid worth even a late 7th round pick. Remember, this is Football, not weightlifting. Sure strength is good. But you need some skill as well.

I'm not an expert on bodybuilding, I'm just going off of what I read.

Did a little more digging and I'm seeing that he holds the American record of 805 pounds for raw squat. Is there a difference?

You're right that being strong in the weight room doesn't automatically translate to playing in the NFL. There's a difference, no doubt about it. Of course, I don't know what kind of prospect this other guy was. Just going off of the video I've seen on Sumner, he is more than just a weight room guy.

I can't say for sure but I don't think he is on roids because of the competitions he has been in. I see a guy who has gotten a lot of training and advice from his Dad and a guy who has worked extremely hard. At the very least, that's the guy you're getting. A hard worker. Not a bad risk for a 7th rounder.

Chidi29
04-12-2011, 09:56 PM
damn, excellent find man. Where is he projected to go? I'd guess UDFA right? Could go the Chris Hoke route

Awesome, at least he's not a moron that would be on the street without football

Well there's our fullback! :chuckle:

Yeah, he's being talked about as a free agent. I orgiinally had him as a UDFA in my mock but after learning more and more about him, I bumped him up to the 7th.

steelerfan
04-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Raw Squat ?..Absolutely. That means no support. None on the knees-legs, anything. So that is very Impressive. Still not Tom Platz, but very good. Also his bench is Impressive as well on the video I saw. Still likely will be a camp invite, and not drafted. But very Impressive young man.

The Duke
04-12-2011, 10:32 PM
hmm...just remembered, with the lockout there will be no UDFA signings so will definitely have to draft him if they want him

fansince'76
04-13-2011, 12:46 AM

Colorado School of Mines is a very good school to boot. It's obvious the guy didn't go to college just to major in football.

Aussie_steeler
04-13-2011, 01:57 AM
The "Vanilla Gorilla" has been a point of fascination on many draft sites over the past few weeks.

The footage that I have seen over the past month shows that he is slow off the snap and then overplays and gets way out of position.

The stats are sensational. I just dont see a football player that is capable of making the giant leap to the NFL

Brock Lesnar vs The Vanilla Gorilla
or
Mark Henry vs Blaine Sumner

Thats where I see his future

steelersfanman92
04-13-2011, 05:29 AM
This guy looks lilke a beast take a look at this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D38T-0I24s

Texasteel
04-13-2011, 07:21 AM
You broke one cardinal rule Chidi. You mentioned his name on this site. Just ask LLT if you don't believe me, the guy will be 4th round pick in a week. It's our curse.

Kid looks to have a hell of a motor, it's like watching a Pit Bull in a football uniform. Going to do some more reading on him. Thanks buddy.

Texasteel
04-13-2011, 07:29 AM
hmm...just remembered, with the lockout there will be no UDFA signings so will definitely have to draft him if they want him

Will teams be able to contact these players after the draft, like they could before the draft. Will they have a limit of players they can talk to. God this whole thing blows.

Chidi29
04-13-2011, 02:53 PM

Good point. I knew the rule but that totally slipped my mind.

Chidi29
04-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Colorado School of Mines is a very good school to boot. It's obvious the guy didn't go to college just to major in football.

According to his facebook page, he's interning as a Drilling Engineer at Devon Energy.

Chidi29
04-13-2011, 03:00 PM
The "Vanilla Gorilla" has been a point of fascination on many draft sites over the past few weeks.

The footage that I have seen over the past month shows that he is slow off the snap and then overplays and gets way out of position.

The stats are sensational. I just dont see a football player that is capable of making the giant leap to the NFL

Brock Lesnar vs The Vanilla Gorilla
or
Mark Henry vs Blaine Sumner

Thats where I see his future

I believe in what you're saying, I'm not trying to come off as critical, but what tape have you gotten to see on him? Have you been able to watch full games on him?

I know I'm breaking my first rule by looking at highlight videos.

I have to disagree with your take Aussie. I think it's the total opposite. The stats aren't that great, good but not great, but the tape looks really good.

There are two things that make me think that he has a decent first step.

He was a linebacker in high school. Granted, a slow one but a slow linebacker is a fast nose tackle.

He is being used as a short yardage runner/blocker. You have to have a good first step to play there in those situations where getting a good initial surge is all you need. Tomlin has talked about it; that's why Legursky is there and not say, Ramon Foster. He talked about Dorian Brooks in the preseason and how he offered a similar skillset as Legursky.

But you're entitled to your opinion. I understand where you're coming from. It's quite a leap he'd be making.

Chidi29
04-13-2011, 03:01 PM
Will teams be able to contact these players after the draft, like they could before the draft. Will they have a limit of players they can talk to. God this whole thing blows.

Based on my understanding, they won't be able to talk to them at all just like they can't talk to any other player.

And the drafted players can't sign contracts. Teams will only have their rights. Which, in a hypothetical doomsday scenario in which the lockout lasts a long time, the old rules of the CBA should they be carried over stats that after six weeks in the regular season, any drafted player who has yet to sign can sign with another team. I'm not sure if he's a free agent or if it's more like a RFA situation, but I wonder if that could come up if a player has a lengthy holdout a la Crabtree.

Chidi29
04-13-2011, 03:07 PM
One other point I want to make about Sumner. As we're familar with, the big ugly's on the defensive line are supposed to take up blocks and free up the pass rushers.

Sumner helped free up Marc Schiechl, who had 70 TFL and 44.5 sacks in his career. A lot easier to do that when your nose tackle is taking on two or three blockers.

Aussie_steeler
04-14-2011, 01:37 AM
Looking at Marc Shiechl's highlights ( he looks like a player who should get drafted in the later rounds) I see a lot of sacks and big plays where Sumner is not even on the field.

And when he is ( on the field) he looks like he is easily handled. I dont see much more than a gym junkie that tries to speed rush and try to throw people aside.

Marc Shiechl Junior year highlights
http://www.youtube.com/user/whowhodilly94?blend=23&ob=5#p/a/u/2/3PdK1PsafbA

Marc Shiechl Senior year highlights
http://www.youtube.com/user/whowhodilly94?blend=23&ob=5#p/a/u/0/0LtxPKHJ9KU

Some other Colorado School of mines video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5AG57Ho3Po&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJKuOyv5L5U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvWN6-3G6uQ&feature=related

I agree with you 100% on one thing CHIDI. Whoever has game tape on this guy is going to have the real picture and insight into his football potential

I am very cautious because all we see are a few handpicked plays put together by a player and his agent to get attention. And to get the attention he sells himself as a weightlifter who can play some football.

This all could be a moot point, when the steelers draft Phil Taylor out of Baylor in the 1st round.

7willBheaven
04-14-2011, 01:28 PM
I'd take him as a UDFA (be it if we have to wait until a new CBA or whatever). I wouldnt want to spend a pick on him though.

steelerfan
04-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Hell, not withstanding LLT's take on this guy, but to me, THIS is the Colorado Mine we should be thinking about bringing to camp. :thumbsup:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=86282&draftyear=2011&genpos=DE

Chidi29
04-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Looking at Marc Shiechl's highlights ( he looks like a player who should get drafted in the later rounds) I see a lot of sacks and big plays where Sumner is not even on the field.

And when he is ( on the field) he looks like he is easily handled. I dont see much more than a gym junkie that tries to speed rush and try to throw people aside.

Marc Shiechl Junior year highlights
http://www.youtube.com/user/whowhodilly94?blend=23&ob=5#p/a/u/2/3PdK1PsafbA

Marc Shiechl Senior year highlights
http://www.youtube.com/user/whowhodilly94?blend=23&ob=5#p/a/u/0/0LtxPKHJ9KU

Some other Colorado School of mines video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5AG57Ho3Po&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJKuOyv5L5U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvWN6-3G6uQ&feature=related

I agree with you 100% on one thing CHIDI. Whoever has game tape on this guy is going to have the real picture and insight into his football potential

I am very cautious because all we see are a few handpicked plays put together by a player and his agent to get attention. And to get the attention he sells himself as a weightlifter who can play some football.

This all could be a moot point, when the steelers draft Phil Taylor out of Baylor in the 1st round.

To your first point, he may not be out on the field because these are passing downs. Makes sense that a lot of Schiechl's sacks and pressures would come in those situations. Just as the Steelers do, they take their big, lumbering nose tackle off the field and put in someone who is a better pass rusher.

We can't even tell who is on the field in half the shots. A lot of the angles are wide and you can't make out a number. Especially when you have two white defensive tackles that rotate in, one of which wears 99 making you skeptical everytime you see a "9" and not the whole number.

I'm still seeing a guy who looks pretty good on tape. Not as good as the highlights but that shouldn't be a surprise. I'm still seeing a guy who takes on double and triple teams, freeing up Schiechl in some of the highlights, and can throw the lineman off balanced with his initial step. I'm still seeing a guy who is getting double-teamed at the nose even when it's on a run to the outside. There was a delayed handoff and the opposing team had to make sure he didn't get any penetration and blow the play up.

Yes, he is going to have difficulty in shedding blocks because he has T-Rex arms. You can see that as the big negative on the tape. But we're looking for a space eater. A relentless worker who thrives on doing the grunt work (In the interview I linked, he says his favorite part of football is the contact aspect which is why he wanted to play linebacker in high school).

Even though he has some limitations, I know I'm getting those things from Sumner. For a 7th round pick to an UDFA, that's pretty darn good.

Aussie_steeler
04-14-2011, 05:48 PM
Without a new CBA there will be no UDFA's. That means that if you really want a player then you are going to have to draft him.

This is another reason as to why the steelers are reportedly bringing in a larger number of typical UDFA candidates.

IMO that suggests that in round 6 & 7 that players like Frank Kearse and Anthony Gray will be in the mix.

Scouting the net it looks like Sumner is currently on the radar of the;

* 49er's http://www.csnbayarea.com/04/12/11/bMatt-Maiocco-b49ers-pre-draft-visit-tra/mobile_landing.html?blockID=502579&feedID=5936

* Giants http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=402652

7willBheaven
04-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Without a new CBA there will be no UDFA's. That means that if you really want a player then you are going to have to draft him.

This is another reason as to why the steelers are reportedly bringing in a larger number of typical UDFA candidates.

IMO that suggests that in round 6 & 7 that players like Frank Kearse and Anthony Gray will be in the mix.

Scouting the net it looks like Sumner is currently on the radar of the;

* 49er's http://www.csnbayarea.com/04/12/11/bMatt-Maiocco-b49ers-pre-draft-visit-tra/mobile_landing.html?blockID=502579&feedID=5936

* Giants http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=402652

There will be UDFA's...but it just wont be directly after the draft it will be once a new CBA is reached (unless there is something that says they can select UDFAs now somehow). So it will just be a longer period of time before they can select those players. I dont think teams should just pick someone that will be an UDFA in the draft just because...when they can still try to get him as a UDFA...just like any other year...its NO different. Its just they will have to wait longer to sign these guys.

The Duke
04-15-2011, 02:21 PM
There will be UDFA's...but it just wont be directly after the draft it will be once a new CBA is reached (unless there is something that says they can select UDFAs now somehow). So it will just be a longer period of time before they can select those players. I dont think teams should just pick someone that will be an UDFA in the draft just because...when they can still try to get him as a UDFA...just like any other year...its NO different. Its just they will have to wait longer to sign these guys.

the big difference I see is that depending how long the lockout lasts, those UDFA may move on and start their careers elsewhere. I know it won't be most but I bet some will; look at Sumner for example, with a petroleum engineering degree he doesn't "need" football, and he may have his own reasons to do that instead of waiting for the lockout to end, which could be next year or halfway through the season

Some may just be needing that rookie minimum salary for who knows what reason. That's why I think we'll see some teams pulling the trigger on someone projected to be an UDFA because they really like him. 7th round picks are just as likely to fail as undrafted, so it wouldn't surprise me at all to see it happen