PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign draft picks Scott,

LLT
06-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Steelers sign draft picks Scott,
Posted June 16, 2010 @ 12:48 p.m. ET
By PFW staff

The Steelers signed OT Chris Scott and CB Crezdon Butler, both fifth-round picks, to three-year contracts on Wednesday. Pittsburgh has signed eight of its 10 draft picks, with C-OG Maurkice Pouncey (first round) and OLB Jason Worilds (second round) the only rookies yet to sign.

Scott, 22, Tennessee's starter at left tackle in his final two collegiate seasons, is competing for a reserve role in Pittsburgh. The 6-foot-4, 319-pound Scott, PFW personnel analyst Nolan Nawrocki wrote in PFW's 2010 Draft Preview, is "(a) thick-bodied mauler who lined up at guard and tackle in college and has the size, awareness and versatility to compete for a job if he could manage his weight and buy into a program."

The 6-1, 191-pound Butler, Nawrocki wrote in the 2010 Draft Preview, has "(good) size and length" as well as "(good) speed to run deep." However, Butler is "(a) better athlete than football player," Nawrocki wrote.

The 23-year-old Butler, who's likely to be a backup in his first NFL season, intercepted 11 passes in four seasons at Clemson.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/06/16/steelers-sign-draft-picks-scott-butler

Chidi29
06-16-2010, 01:18 PM
Ray Horton has liked Butler a lot and even got him first team reps the one day. Cornerback might be too crowded though for Butler to find a spot. Unless we want to move someone like Burnett to safety.

Scott was a weird pick for me. I just didn't see the value of taking a middle-tier guard when we already have a bunch of middle-tier talent. But, there is always one lineman that comes out of nowhere to make the team.

xX-TSK-Xx
06-16-2010, 02:07 PM
Ray Horton has liked Butler a lot and even got him first team reps the one day. Cornerback might be too crowded though for Butler to find a spot. Unless we want to move someone like Burnett to safety.

Burnett's pretty athletic. He might be able to make the switch to free saftey.

SteelCityMan786
06-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Good to see we will likely have all of our picks in by the time camp hits.

kmsteelerwr15
06-16-2010, 02:31 PM
I love how quickly we got them all in. And now the waiting game begins for Pouncey.

steelpride12
06-16-2010, 03:05 PM
Looks like of course Pouncey will be the last one to sign and glad to see we are quickly signing our picks, great news!

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Scott was a weird pick for me. I just didn't see the value of taking a middle-tier guard when we already have a bunch of middle-tier talent. But, there is always one lineman that comes out of nowhere to make the team.

I think they have plans for Scott at RT. I was confused as to why they never took Kyle Calloway instead of Scott.......but there must have been a few reasons why Calloway dropped so far.

Chidi29
06-16-2010, 03:19 PM
I think they have plans for Scott at RT. I was confused as to why they never took Kyle Calloway instead of Scott.......but there must have been a few reasons why Calloway dropped so far.

I wasn't much of a fan of Calloway so I'm glad we didn't take him.

I never watched Scott so I can't say much about him but based off his bio, he's a clone of Ramon Foster. And I'm pretty "meh" at the thought of Foster ever being starter material.

Prok
06-16-2010, 03:23 PM
Glad to see us getting these guys signed in a timely manner. Now we need to get Pouncey signed ASAP so we can get started on working him @ RG in camp.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-16-2010, 05:38 PM
I wasn't much of a fan of Calloway so I'm glad we didn't take him.

I never watched Scott so I can't say much about him but based off his bio, he's a clone of Ramon Foster. And I'm pretty "meh" at the thought of Foster ever being starter material.
Calloway was a solid RT at Iowa and like most Iowa linemen of late, pretty technically sound. Calloway stood out among all the other O linemen at the Shrine game. Scott played LT and was more of a mauler with OK feet, but not good enough to play LT in the NFL. Scott struggled a lot with the speed guys in the Senior Bowl and looked to be a guy that was gonna play RT or Guard.

IMO, Calloway looked much more technically sound than Scott. I too am just "meh" on Ramon Foster, but think he can be there as decent depth.

Chidi29
06-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Calloway was a solid RT at Iowa and like most Iowa linemen of late, pretty technically sound. Calloway stood out among all the other O linemen at the Shrine game. Scott played LT and was more of a mauler with OK feet, but not good enough to play LT in the NFL. Scott struggled a lot with the speed guys in the Senior Bowl and looked to be a guy that was gonna play RT or Guard.

IMO, Calloway looked much more technically sound than Scott. I too am just "meh" on Ramon Foster, but think he can be there as decent depth.

I orginally thought he was technically sound, but I did spot a few problems with him. Noted that his base wasn't consistent and he'd tend to bend his waist instead of his knees at times. That just compounded the problem with how easy it was to beat him off the edge. I liked Calloway's versatility, having a good deal of experience at both tackle spots, but he just seemed like an overacheiver in college who at best, would be a swingman in the NFL. A comparison to Trai Essex isn't all that far off the mark IMO.

I agree with your take on Foster. I like him for depth, his versatility is a huge plus. I just don't like him as a starter that much. And I'm against taking a non-starting potential lineman who isn't any better than a guy like Essex or Urbik. Just seems like a waste of a pick, reason being I didn't like us taking Chris.

cold-hard-steel
06-16-2010, 08:14 PM
There are a lot of unanswered questions . We will find out in due time . We need to "pounce on Pouncey , i do believe" ! Butler reminds me of a Carnel Lake kind of guy . Always a spot for a guy like that . I am so anxious to see what our secondary looks like this season . To me that was our main weakness last season . Lets get the show on the road already ! Even preseason will be fine . I need some Steeler football in my life man !

Galax Steeler
06-17-2010, 03:58 AM
Two more to go and hopefully they won't take long to get a contract done. Pouncey and Worlids I just have a good feeling this year.

solardave
06-17-2010, 05:39 AM
It's always good to see everyone signed by the time camp roles around. Just 2 to go.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-17-2010, 12:16 PM
I orginally thought he was technically sound, but I did spot a few problems with him. Noted that his base wasn't consistent and he'd tend to bend his waist instead of his knees at times. That just compounded the problem with how easy it was to beat him off the edge. I liked Calloway's versatility, having a good deal of experience at both tackle spots, but he just seemed like an overacheiver in college who at best, would be a swingman in the NFL. A comparison to Trai Essex isn't all that far off the mark IMO.

I agree with your take on Foster. I like him for depth, his versatility is a huge plus. I just don't like him as a starter that much. And I'm against taking a non-starting potential lineman who isn't any better than a guy like Essex or Urbik. Just seems like a waste of a pick, reason being I didn't like us taking Chris.

I think Chris Scott was taken as insurance if Colon can not be extended. The guy played LT in the SEC, has long arms, but not the feet to play LT in the NFL. Scott could compete for the RT position in 2011 if Colon leaves and I am OK with that. I just thought that Calloway was a better RT prospect than Scott.........apparantly I was wrong.