PDA

View Full Version : 3rd round O-Linemen ?.....NO!!!

steelerfan
04-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Okay, lets look at the last 15 years of Steeler drafts. In almost half of them ( 7)..the steelers have selected a OL in round 3. And with the exception of Max Starks in 2004, really all the rest have been busts, or very limited players. To me, 1 3rd round pick may not have to contribute right away. But they all should be drafted with the intention of being a quality starter in time. Based on the list below, who was the WORST selection for Pittsburgh. And of those below, which one of them did any of you SCREAM about us screwing up by selecting him.

Kraig Urbik-2009
Trai Essex-2005
Max Starks-2004
Kris Farris-1999
Chris Conrad-1998
Paul Wiggins-1997
Brenden Stai-1995

To me the choise is easy, it was Kris Farris. I couldn't stand him. He was always talking about how he LOVED Movies, and wanted to be a Critic, rather then football, and the upcoming draft. I KNEW he was going to be a Bust. And I was right. So, which one of the above mad you mad when we selected him ? And, given our history, do you really want the team to try their luck again in round 3 :nono:

Thanks.

Texasteel
04-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Don't know about the worse, but I was extremely happy to see us take Urbik. Guess I was way off on that one.

LLT
04-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Last year Jared Veldheer was drafted in the third round and he is an exceptional OT. After 4th round pick Jason Fox recovered from his injury he also showed signs of being a very good tackle.

Other serviceable Tackles have been drafted after the second round ...Doug Free with the Cowboys was a lot better last year than people give him credit for...Eric Winston has had a okay career....Heck, our own Willie Colon was a 4th round pick.

zulater
04-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Look at it this way, they're due.

Psycho Ward 86
04-12-2011, 04:40 PM
well when you're looking at ONLY 3rd round O-linemen you are excluding Kemo and Willie Colon entirely, who have been pretty darn good

steelerfan
04-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Fellow fans. Some of you may have misunderstood me. I never meant to say we have not drafted good O-Linemen after
round 3. Just that recently our 3rd round ONLY O-Linemen have been disappointments for the most part. So I wondered if maybe we should not try to draft a 3rd round OL based on our history. Maybe we should either take one in the first two rounds, or after the 3rd round. That's all. Sorry if I implied anything else.

LLT
04-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Fellow fans. Some of you may have misunderstood me. I never meant to say we have not drafted good O-Linemen after
round 3. Just that recently our 3rd round ONLY O-Linemen have been disappointments for the most part. So I wondered if maybe we should not try to draft a 3rd round OL based on our history. Maybe we should either take one in the first two rounds, or after the 3rd round. That's all. Sorry if I implied anything else.

I love Sherrod at the end of round one....would love to get Cannon in round 2....Derek Newton of Arkansas State and Chris Hairston of Clemosn are both later round possibilities.

BUT as far as round 3...the only two OT's that I love are Marcus Gilbert and Joseph Barksdale. There are some others that I like...but I think those two are the best of the group.

steelerfan
04-12-2011, 06:24 PM
I love Sherrod at the end of round one....would love to get Cannon in round 2....Derek Newton of Arkansas State and Chris Hairston of Clemosn are both later round possibilities.

BUT as far as round 3...the only two OT's that I love are Marcus Gilbert and Joseph Barksdale. There are some others that I like...but I think those two are the best of the group.

LLT, great minds think a like :-) I love Barksdale as well. But he is more of a 4th rounder, or maybe even a 5th rounder. He is productive. And has the skills to play RT at least. But the word was that Barksdale has always lacked a fire in his belly. Always did just enough to get by. However, I remember the same things said about Max Starks when he came out. That's why he dropped to round 3 that draft as I remember. But Barksdale even at the end of round 4 would be A-OK with me LLT.