PDA

View Full Version : Bouchette posted my Steelers draft

LLT
04-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Ed: 2 More Steelers Mock Drafts from Members
Ed Bouchette
04/11/2011

---Here are my thoughts on a possible Steelers draft.

-Perry Biggerstaff

Round 1

Aaron Williams,CB Texas—Big framed cornerback with good speed. Aggressive nature fits the Steelers mindset. Position flexibility makes Williams a cant miss prospect who could fill in at FS if needed. Tricky backpedal tends to allow receivers to chew up his cushion but his fluid hips, good instincts and excellent straight line speed helps him to recover and mirror as good as any CB in this draft

Round 2

Jarvis Jenkins, DE/DT Clemson—Underrated but ultra productive defensive lineman. Jenkins is another prospect that shows position flexibility as a defensive tackle and a defensive end. Same skill set as that of Ziggy Hood, though not as explosive. Would benefit with a year in a a NFL strength and conditioning program. Very high upside. The Steelers would probably see him as a 3-4 defensive end. Jenkins stands out with good maturity and character, especially in this defensive tackle class that is full of character questions.

Round 3

Marcus Gilbert, OT Florida—Classic right tackle prospect who could probably be a functional stop-gap left tackle if needed. Great size and strength. Does a great job of getting off the snap and into position. Needs some technique work in regards to body control and balance. Needs to be more aware of linebackers coming in off the edge.

Round 4

John Moffitt, OG Wisconsin—A first team All-American, first team All-Big 10, and 42 game starter for Wisconsin who possesses great footwork and mobility. Moffitt isn’t the fastest OG in this draft but he possesses the ability to pull and has very good phone-booth quickness. Moffitt is a fourth round steal who could start for the Steelers on day one.

Round 5

Da'Rel Scott, RB Maryland—Fast running back who would be great compliment to Mendenhall. Scott averaged 5.5 yards a carry and scored 17 touchdowns. He showed his ability to be utilized as a legit third down back by accumulating over 500 receiving yards. Good vision, quick feet and has the aggression needed to pick up yards up the middle.

Round 6

Justin Rogers,CB Richmond—Rogers is a developmental cornerback with a very high ceiling. He accumulated 12 interceptions over the last two years even though teams began to avoid his side of the field. If the Richmond prospect can had some bulk to his thing frame he has legitimate shutdown corner potential. Even if we retain Ike Taylor, If Rogers is still on the boards he would be the BPA at the end of the 6th round. Possible future nickel and backup to Taylor.

Round 7

Chris Prosinski, FS Wyoming—Late round sleeper who opened some eyes at his Pro day. Ran a 4.39 forty and 39.5 inch vertical put him back into late draft pick conversations. Prosinski finished his career at Wyoming with an impressive 373 tackles. He has great straight-line speed and good football awareness. Needs to work on his tackling technique as he will throw himself at ball carriers instead of wrapping them up. Very intelligent prospect who was recruited by Ivy league schools.

Read More: http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/109227-ed-2-more-steelers-mock-drafts-from-members

SteelerSal
04-11-2011, 12:44 PM
I feel like I was reading a Mike Mayock piece...great job getting out and onto the Post-Gazzette, Perry!!

fansince'76
04-11-2011, 12:52 PM
What, ya don't have us taking 7 CBs? :jawdrop2: :chuckle:

LLT
04-11-2011, 12:56 PM
What, ya don't have us taking 7 CBs? :jawdrop2: :chuckle:

LOL...I know that I am going to take some heat for predicting three DB's

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Nicely done on getting picked up on the PG. Great analysis, but I am gonna hope we dont get Marcus Gilbert with a 3rd. Doesnt look like Tarzan and plays like Jane.

I dont think he is that much different than Brewer or Barksdale in value which should maybe be in the 4th or 5th. I still like your Cannon, Dowling, Powe scenario.

LLT
04-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Nicely done on getting picked up on the PG. Great analysis, but I am gonna hope we dont get Marcus Gilbert with a 3rd. Doesnt look like Tarzan and plays like Jane.

I dont think he is that much different than Brewer or Barksdale in value which should maybe be in the 4th or 5th. I still like your Cannon, Dowling, Powe scenario.

No doubt...that would be winning the lottery as far as I am concerned.

HometownGal
04-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Excellent Perry! :applaudit:

I'm as dumb as a bag of hammers when it comes to draftnicking and it is always great to get a superb analysis on where we might go in the draft. You most definitely provided that superb analysis! :drink: :rockon:

vader29
04-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Very nice Perry. Don't care what Bouchette says I still want Pouncey to fall to us at number 31.

steelerfan
04-11-2011, 01:20 PM
I like alot of it, especially the 7th rounder. But his campus workout might now get him drafted a bit higher. He has great speed. But I have read his reaction on the field is lacking as well. As for Jenkins, NO, not in round 2. If we dealt down about 15 picks, then maybe yes. But Jenkins struggles with shedding blockers, and doesn't get to the QB enough for me. Of course that could be because he played Inside. But not in round 2. And I don't like Gilbert either. Too soft, and gets beat alot. If we are gonna take a 3rd round OT, I say D.Love of Arkansas. He has quick feet. A ton of experience with a great college O-Line that he led. Other then that, a nice job sir.

Texasteel
04-11-2011, 01:21 PM
No doubt...that would be winning the lottery as far as I am concerned.

I think that Cannon, Dowling is doable, if we could pull off the right trades in the 2nd round, like we were talking about earlier. After that we could go in several directions that would be profitable to us.

Still, I do like this draft and more important, it is doable as well.

SteelerSal
04-11-2011, 01:21 PM

I'm as dumb as a bag of hammers when it comes to draftnicking and it is always great to get a superb analysis on where we might go in the draft. You most definitely provided that superb analysis! :drink: :rockon:

Your not the only one who is lost when it comes to this draft thing so I heavily rely on Perry and the others here who know thier stuff to get my info...

LLT
04-11-2011, 01:35 PM
I like alot of it, especially the 7th rounder. But his campus workout might now get him drafted a bit higher. He has great speed. But I have read his reaction on the field is lacking as well. As for Jenkins, NO, not in round 2. If we dealt down about 15 picks, then maybe yes. But Jenkins struggles with shedding blockers, and doesn't get to the QB enough for me. Of course that could be because he played Inside. But not in round 2. And I don't like Gilbert either. Too soft, and gets beat alot. If we are gonna take a 3rd round OT, I say D.Love of Arkansas. He has quick feet. A ton of experience with a great college O-Line that he led. Other then that, a nice job sir.

Dont sell Jarvis short...He quietly racked up 30 tackles for loss. That is more than any of the DT's that are ranked higher than him...including Dareus and Fairley.

DeMarcus Love had a disasterous Senior bowl and is now a late 4th..or early 5th round OG prospect. I WOULD however, be happy to get Joseph Barksdale or James Brewer in the bottom of the 3rd round. I just personally like Gilberts ability to get off the snap better than alot of the other OT prospects outside of the 2nd round.

LLT
04-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Just on a side note...its not one of our greatest needs but I wouldnt be surprised to see us take an OLB in the 2nd round. Either Bruce Carter or Sam Acho could be the BPA at #63.

steelerfan
04-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Dont sell Jarvis short...He quietly racked up 30 tackles for loss. That is more than any of the DT's that are ranked higher than him...including Dareus and Fairley.

DeMarcus Love had a disasterous Senior bowl and is now a late 4th..or early 5th round OG prospect. I WOULD however, be happy to get James Carpenter or James Brewer in the bottom of the 3rd round. I just personally like Gilberts ability to get off the snap better than alot of the other OT prospects outside of the 2nd round.

LLT, I watch alot of ACC games. And have seen Jenkins play alot. Yes he did get 30 TFL in his time there. But what you have to understand was that 80 % of those were just run-stuffing plays by their whole D-Line, and usually for 1/2 Yd loss. Clemson has a GREAT Run defending D-line. But, as for moving outside in a 3-4 system that Jenkins has never played in, that will showcase his many shortcomings as it goes to shedding blockers. When Jenkins was 1 on 1 with O-linemen on passing plays, he was constantly man-handled. You want a DT who HAS experience playing in the 3-4 as a DE as well as a DT. One with Athleticism and TFL...take a gander LLT.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/DT/Martin-Parker.php

How would he look in a steelers uniform ? Say selected in round 5 ?

LLT
04-11-2011, 02:04 PM
LLT, I watch alot of ACC games. And have seen Jenkins play alot. Yes he did get 30 TFL in his time there. But what you have to understand was that 80 % of those were just run-stuffing plays by their whole D-Line, and usually for 1/2 Yd loss. Clemson has a GREAT Run defending D-line. But, as for moving outside in a 3-4 system that Jenkins has never played in, that will showcase his many shortcomings as it goes to shedding blockers. When Jenkins was 1 on 1 with O-linemen on passing plays, he was constantly man-handled. You want a DT who HAS experience playing in the 3-4 as a DE as well as a DT. One with Athleticism and TFL...take a gander LLT.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/DT/Martin-Parker.php

How would he look in a steelers uniform ? Say selected in round 5 ?

I actually love Martin Parker. Richmond has two legit pro prospects this year (the other being CB Justin Rogers that I mentioned in the mock draft)

I would disagree that Jenkins was manhandled one on one...he often took up two blockers. At the Senior Bowl he devastated Kris O'Dowd, and demanded two blockers. Most sites list him as a 5 technique prospect.

X-Terminator
04-11-2011, 02:19 PM
I think this is awesome, LLT. I am not a draftnik by any means (though I used to be in my younger days), so I appreciate all that you do! :applaudit:

steelerfan
04-11-2011, 02:24 PM
I actually love Martin Parker. Richmond has two legit pro prospects this year (the other being CB Justin Rogers that I mentioned in the mock draft)

I would disagree that Jenkins was manhandled one on one...he often took up two blockers. At the Senior Bowl he devastated Kris O'Dowd, and demanded two blockers. Most sites list him as a 5 technique prospect.

LLT, Senior Bowl practices not withstanding. I am always a bit weary about players who do well mostly in practice, or are measurable players with great 40 times, and ect. That's why I am not calling Jenkins a Bust...No! I just think we may need more Immediate production from our 2nd rounder. Jenkins in round 3 would be okay. But given the choice between Jenkins as a RISK round 2 pick who can't man the NT spot. And is still a unknown as a 3-4 DE, or say between PURE NT's like Ellis or Lowe, or a DB like Dowling, I will take those Latter picks :-)

steeldevil
04-11-2011, 02:34 PM

Same here. Good job LLT! I appreciate all of your Draft work and anaylsis.

LLT
04-11-2011, 02:44 PM
LLT, Senior Bowl practices not withstanding. I am always a bit weary about players who do well mostly in practice, or are measurable players with great 40 times, and ect. That's why I am not calling Jenkins a Bust...No! I just think we may need more Immediate production from our 2nd rounder. Jenkins in round 3 would be okay. But given the choice between Jenkins as a RISK round 2 pick who can't man the NT spot. And is still a unknown as a 3-4 DE, or say between PURE NT's like Ellis or Lowe, or a DB like Dowling, I will take those Latter picks :-)

You wont get any argument out of me in regards to Dowling...he is one of my favorite players in this draft. I dont think he gets past the Lions in the second round so our best chance at getting him is in hopin g that a team like Denver wants to trade back up into the 1st round for a QB...and we can get their two 2nd round choices in exchange for our 1st and 3rd round picks.

steelerfan
04-11-2011, 02:57 PM
You wont get any argument out of me in regards to Dowling...he is one of my favorite players in this draft. I dont think he gets past the Lions in the second round so our best chance at getting him is in hopin g that a team like Denver wants to trade back up into the 1st round for a QB...and we can get their two 2nd round choices in exchange for our 1st and 3rd round picks.

LLT, Why would Denver want a QB in round 1 ? Didn't they just draft and commit to Tim Tebow ?

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-11-2011, 02:59 PM

DeMarcus Love had a disasterous Senior bowl and is now a late 4th..or early 5th round OG prospect. I WOULD however, be happy to get James Carpenter or James Brewer in the bottom of the 3rd round. I just personally like Gilberts ability to get off the snap better than alot of the other OT prospects outside of the 2nd round.

Stop lovin the Love (Demarcus Love). He looked clumsy in the Arkansas bowl game and as you say had a bad Sr. Bowl. I still think he is a RT or better yet a guard. As a guard, I like him, but he doesnt have the feet to play on the outside IMO.

Brewer or Carpenter at the end of the 3rd would be nice, but we'll probably draft another TE instead.

SteelerSal
04-11-2011, 03:04 PM
LLT, Why would Denver want a QB in round 1 ? Didn't they just draft and commit to Tim Tebow ?

McDaniels commited to Tebow..and he's out.. :lol:

fansince'76
04-11-2011, 03:07 PM
McDaniels commited to Tebow..and he's out.. :lol:

Yep, I don't think John Fox is enamored with Tebow at all (Elway isn't either). It's going to take at least a couple of years to undo the complete mess McDaniels made of the Broncos. Fox has his work cut out.

steelerfan
04-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Stop lovin the Love (Demarcus Love). He looked clumsy in the Arkansas bowl game and as you say had a bad Sr. Bowl. I still think he is a RT or better yet a guard. As a guard, I like him, but he doesnt have the feet to play on the outside IMO.

Brewer or Carpenter at the end of the 3rd would be nice, but we'll probably draft another TE instead.

As for Love, yes he looked really bad in those senior bowl practices. But understand that Love worked in Petrino's complicated O-line blocking scheme. And when matched in regular 1 on 1 blocking schemes, Love was lost. But rather look at his performances at Arkansas. Where he led the O-line to the greatest offense in SEC history. Matched up against the best defensive players in any conferences, and didn't allow a single Sack with a very Immobile QB back there.

Even if Love was to be moved inside at Guard, I still say, and I mean it that I think Love is a better Guard then Mike Pouncey is. Talk about a guy who is definitely being rated higher because of his twin Brother it's Mike. I'm actually glad he will be off the board before 31 so we don't make a huge error in drafting him.

HometownGal
04-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Fox has his work cut out.

I'm sure he negotiated some bubbly in his contract. I've never seen that man not chomping on gum like a cow chewing its cud. :heh:

http://www.candyfavorites.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/dubble-bubble-300x300.jpg

fansince'76
04-11-2011, 03:24 PM
I'm sure he negotiated some bubbly in his contract. I've never seen that man not chomping on gum like a cow chewing its cud. :heh:

http://www.candyfavorites.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/dubble-bubble-300x300.jpg

http://ubdavid.org/youthworld/majoring-in-life/graphics/7_cow-chew-cud_anim.gif

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Chidi29
04-11-2011, 04:01 PM
That's awesome Perry. Congrats.

Count Steeler
04-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Congrats LLT. Thanks for your time and research and for sharing it here with the Universe.

Shoes
04-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Nice job LLT!

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-11-2011, 11:59 PM
As for Love, yes he looked really bad in those senior bowl practices. But understand that Love worked in Petrino's complicated O-line blocking scheme. And when matched in regular 1 on 1 blocking schemes, Love was lost. But rather look at his performances at Arkansas. Where he led the O-line to the greatest offense in SEC history. Matched up against the best defensive players in any conferences, and didn't allow a single Sack with a very Immobile QB back there.

Even if Love was to be moved inside at Guard, I still say, and I mean it that I think Love is a better Guard then Mike Pouncey is. Talk about a guy who is definitely being rated higher because of his twin Brother it's Mike. I'm actually glad he will be off the board before 31 so we don't make a huge error in drafting him.

I recorded and broke down Love in the Sugar bowl and there wasn't much complicated about that o line. Love played strong side all the time and while strong at the point of attack, he is clumsy at the second level. He gets his nose too far in front of his feet because he doesn't bend his knees and misses blocks downfield.

IMO, he belongs inside as a guard, but isn't as athletic as Cannon, Pouncey, Watkins or Boling. college RT that will struggle with speed in NFL as an OT.

Steeldude
04-12-2011, 02:02 AM
good job, LLT

tube517
04-12-2011, 09:50 AM
What? You don't have all LB's? :chuckle:

Great job!